• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A few comments from retail... What's going on?

Also, I never understood the dislike of summer from publishers - I mean, that's when students are getting summer jobs, and when kids have more time to play games. Why are spring and fall so hot for games compared to summer?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
A Link to the Past said:
Also, I never understood the dislike of summer from publishers - I mean, that's when students are getting summer jobs, and when kids have more time to play games. Why are spring and fall so hot for games compared to summer?
I think that alot of companies have their fiscal years end in December or March.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
A Link to the Past said:

Holiday rush.

Either a game tries to make it for the holidays, or it doesn't. When it doesn't they don't wanna be too near the holidays, or too early before the holidays, thus droughts.

****ing holidays.

A Link to the Past said:
March=end of fiscal year
Fall=Annual spend-phase/athon

Mrbob said:
PS2 only dipped under 200K sold 3 times total. Amazing. If the PS3 can keep up the same price, while being priced much higher, that would be a total shock.
No shit. It would defy the laws of logic!:D

daegan

sonycowboy said:
Some of this may be old news, but some is new to me, so I thought I'd pass it on... Feel free to make some comments as well. This is based on various conversations I and a few others have had at various retailers.

1) Xbox HW is essentially gone. 10 EB's & Gamestops around haven't received HW for over 2 months. Big box retailers still have some, but reportedly haven't gotten any new shipments either. Used Xbox's are selling quite well.

--This is true, although in my area, Used Xbox's are selling around as well as GC's.

2)GC HW is actually still being recieved, albiet only 4 or so units at a time. Presumably ony what's left in the warehouses based on Nintendo's comments and the puny shipments over the past 2 years. Used GC's aren't moving

--Again true. If Nintendo has any units left come Christmas, expect a price drop and/or insane bundle.

3) PSP Value packs have reportedly been discontinued. No shipments in over 2 months. Only the core system, but stores tell me that customers would prefer a value pack. This was repeated at multiple stores. PSP is in a pretty major slowdown with SW sales being particularly weak.

--Discontinued, I'm not sure - definitely haven't seen any in a while.

4) DS Lite exploded on retail. Unfortunately, after large shipments for launch, only a handful made it in the second shipments, with 3rd shipments coming this week. NSMB, Brain Age, and Brain Academy are hot hot hot. There are a shitton of used old DS' on the market now, after $70 was offered on tradeins towards the DSLite. Expect the DS to outsell the PSP 3 or 4 to 1 this month.

--Demand was higher than preorders in a lot of areas would tell you. Southeast Michigan has sold DSL's particularly well.

5) 360's are moving briskly, but SW sales seem to be at a low ebb, with no major new releases. Moto GP is moving well, better than past Moto GP's

--360s are really really spotty. These - obviously - won't pick up til Christmas, maybe not til a price drop or a true system-seller comes round. Neither is in sight.

6) PS3 software preorders are relatively high as folks seem to be fooled by the big "Preorder the PS3!!!!
games
signs at EB & Gamestop. Orders are spread across alot of titles, with none being far and away the lead.

--For a system you can't reserve yet, the games are popular. Many games aren't available for preorder in most stores yet, though; a few are conspicuously missing (EA's going to NOT launch FIFA 07 on PS3 when it struggled to do it last year for 360?)

Conversely, Wii software is seeing very little interest aside from Red Steel but I don't know of any retailers preordering first-party Wii games.

7) Madden 360 preorders are eeking out PS2 preorders, which is encouraging for 360 sales, but PS2 sales are expected to be 2-3 times higher at launch.

--This seems to be true and stems from a hope that it will suck less than 06 360.

8) GTA Liberty City Stories is selling decently, but most stores have tons of copies from the initial shipment. Nowhere near what most stores expected, even with tempered (slightly low) expectations.

--No disagreements here.

9) Other than DS SW, nothing is moving that well. And not much is expected until NCAA 07 on July 18th and then Madden a month later. It's a bleak, bleak, bleak summer.

--There is NOTHING COMING OUT this summer.

10) Saints Row preorders are low relative to other mid-level 360 games to this point, but it's still early and a decent demo could help.

--I don't expect SR to do well at all, as there's very little buzz in the market that supports "those" titles.

^--above

Norse

sonycowboy said:
5) 360's are moving briskly, but SW sales seem to be at a low ebb, with no major new releases. Moto GP is moving well, better than past Moto GP's

I am on to you sonycowboy.....the fact the store clerk picked up a 360 and walked briskly through the store has nothing to do with 360 sales.

Busted!

Firestorm

I don't see why the holiday rush is so great for some publishers... Let's take Tales of the Abyss for example. If it launched this summer, people would buy it because there's almost no competition. Instead, it'll launch this fall against Zelda, Final Fantasy, PS3, and Wii. I don't think I'll be able to pick it up until hits Greatest Hits seeing as I'll have Zelda and Metroid Prime 3 to keep me busy...

bluemax

Banned
Man I wish I could find a new XBox for $150 without the racing game. I'm just not keen on buying a refurbed one, seems to sketchy.

Spike

Zaxxon said:
God damn you developers, people buy games at other times other than Christmas!!!

I want some company to release a huge title in June some day that'll sell massive just so the industry can get out of this funk of holding all their releases for 3 months. There are summer blockbuster movies, how about summer blockbuster games?!

Damn straight! Spread out the love.

Actually, I don't mind everything hitting in November, since I only buy those few titles that I deem absolute must haves. Everything else waits, and prices drop quicker!

But, I really wouldn't mind having a must have title come out during the summer months.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
releasing during the holidays guarantees big sales at the highest price point they can have. then they can drop the prices for summer and repeat the process.

at least that's the game plan most companies utilize..

Spike

Oh, and one other thing:

Nintendo, you bastards, introduce the player's choice lineup for DS already!!!

Chris Remo said:
That seems really high to me, I expect it to outsell PSP handily this month, but 3-4x?
Why? Considering they've been in the same ballpark for months, and that redesigns such as GBASP had huge first months, 3:1 wouldn't have been a bad guess even before sonycowboy's post.

Razoric

Banned
does anyone besides video game nuts even know what Saint's Row is? I've haven't heard anything on it in mainstream media... only here mainly.

AniHawk

Everything sounds about right.

As far as used systems go, we have PS2 at the most, then DS, then GC. We've sold about... 1 GCs in the last three months. We're all out of Xboxes, and PS2s sell moderately well. We haven't sold a single DS or bundle since the Mario Kart Blue bundle went out of stock, and PSPs have been selling very well.

Of course, nothing's been selling quite like the DS Lite or its software. We sell as many as we can get in stock. It's been pretty crazy. Even older titles like Advance Wars and Nintendogs are going fast, and we're getting calls all the time for Castlevaniads and Phoenix Wright.

360 sales have picked up. They were really REALLY slow until about a weak ago. The biggest question I hear regarding the system is, "what are the new games on the 360?" Moto GP is regularly out of stock, and people don't want to believe that Table Tennis isn't bad. Ghost Recon, Hitman, Tomb Raider, and Elder Scrolls are still the best sellers.

6) PS3 software preorders are relatively high as folks seem to be fooled by the big "Preorder the PS3!!!! games signs at EB & Gamestop. Orders are spread across alot of titles, with none being far and away the lead.

There are signs? Hmm.. Maybe handmade signs?

Y2Kevbug11 said:
That's waaaaay lowball. Has the PS2 ever even fell below the 200k threshold?

If it drops below 200, that's a "yuge, jerry, yuge" problem for MS.

Actually, the PS2 only sold less than 200k in Nov 2002 (187,554), Apr 2002 (195,707) and Apr 2004 (188,669) ;)

...out of 68 months (this May).

****ing insane.

GameCube only sold > 200k in a month 12 times in it's 60 months on the US market this May.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
1) Xbox HW is essentially gone. 10 EB's & Gamestops around haven't received HW for over 2 months. Big box retailers still have some, but reportedly haven't gotten any new shipments either. Used Xbox's are selling quite well.

Great to hear

2)GC HW is actually still being recieved, albiet only 4 or so units at a time. Presumably ony what's left in the warehouses based on Nintendo's comments and the puny shipments over the past 2 years. Used GC's aren't moving

WTF

3) PSP Value packs have reportedly been discontinued. No shipments in over 2 months. Only the core system, but stores tell me that customers would prefer a value pack. This was repeated at multiple stores. PSP is in a pretty major slowdown with SW sales being particularly weak.

Sony still hasn't made headway with what they want the PSP to be

4) DS Lite exploded on retail. Unfortunately, after large shipments for launch, only a handful made it in the second shipments, with 3rd shipments coming this week. NSMB, Brain Age, and Brain Academy are hot hot hot. There are a shitton of used old DS' on the market now, after $70 was offered on tradeins towards the DSLite. Expect the DS to outsell the PSP 3 or 4 to 1 this month.

This was expected

July should bring a better month with NCAA football coming out

6) PS3 software preorders are relatively high as folks seem to be fooled by the big "Preorder the PS3!!!! games signs at EB & Gamestop. Orders are spread across alot of titles, with none being far and away the lead.

Any idea on top 5?

7) Madden 360 preorders are eeking out PS2 preorders, which is encouraging for 360 sales, but PS2 sales are expected to be 2-3 times higher at launch.

I think this shows the differences in average gamer status as far as fanbase

8) GTA Liberty City Stories is selling decently, but most stores have tons of copies from the initial shipment. Nowhere near what most stores expected, even with tempered (slightly low) expectations.

First GTA this gen I didn't get

9) Other than DS SW, nothing is moving that well. And not much is expected until NCAA 07 on July 18th and then Madden a month later. It's a bleak, bleak, bleak summer.

Ditto #5 answer

10) Saints Row preorders are low relative to other mid-level 360 games to this point, but it's still early and a decent demo could help.

I have high hopes for this. They have a retail presence with a box in Gamestop, but they need to get more media out.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Spike said:
Oh, and one other thing:

Nintendo, you bastards, introduce the player's choice lineup for DS already!!!
With the PSP Greatest Hits lineup launching July 25th I hope Nintendo follows suit soon. They also have to release more GBA PC games, 3 games aren't enough.

sp0rsk said:
Buy yourselves xboxen and mod those junts.
Are you encouraging us to be pirates? :p

Jiggy

Firestorm said:
I don't see why the holiday rush is so great for some publishers... Let's take Tales of the Abyss for example. If it launched this summer, people would buy it because there's almost no competition. Instead, it'll launch this fall against Zelda, Final Fantasy, PS3, and Wii.
Made all the more strange given that Namco has Tales of Symphonia as precedent for a game doing well with a summer US release.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Fuzzy said:
With the PSP Greatest Hits lineup launching July 25th I hope Nintendo follows suit soon. They also have to release more GBA PC games, 3 games aren't enough.

Are you encouraging us to be pirates? :p

im encouraging you to take advantage of the home brew community. hundred bucks for a badass media center aint a bad deal.

Jiggy37 said:
Made all the more strange given that Namco has Tales of Symphonia as precedent for a game doing well with a summer US release.

But game retailers see 75% of there profit in that last quarter.. just picture that.. and sales.. Its nuts.. no matter what game it may be competing with.

sprsk

PezRadar said:
But game retailers see 75% of there profit in that last quarter.. just picture that.. and sales.. Its nuts.. no matter what game it may be competing with.

is this because no games come out till the last quarter.

sprsk

Billy Rygar said:

well duuuuuuuuuh but i mean, you have the summer which is totally shitty and then all of a sudden shit tons of games come out in the winter and then it dies and dies and dies again until next christmas.

am i the only one that thinks this is slightly silly? just cause a game comes out in may doesnt mean it wont sell in november, right?

Striek

A game sells better at its launch because the marketing is buzzing and its in peoples minds. A game released in summer would still sell well in December if it was good, but as good as if it was just released in Nov/Dec in the first place?

In December you have ~25x more games hit the 100k mark than in summer. I can see why publishers flood the market then. Everyone has the money and reason to spend.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Speevy said:
RTS is never a genre that's been tested on an Xbox platform.

B000092W8O.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

madara

Yeah I can see both sides. Today's casual gamer is not sitting on his ass indoors much when there is sun and fun out there. Yet at same time screw mainstream there still should be enough of us that this summer drought could improve by at least %50.

Top Bottom