• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A few things became clear from that State of Play

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'd say I'm jealous I wasn't born Japanese but then I remember what japan is really like and consider myself blessed

reinking

Gold Member
It has been a while since I have been excited about a Tekken game. Several good things shown if they can deliver. I expect even more news from Sony this year to show off a few big titles and then we have PSVR2 early next year. Nintendo had a pretty good show too. If MS delivers on their big hits the next few years are going to be insane.

We gonna be eatin good.

feast GIF

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I just don't like that they're now calling it "like a dragon" instead of "Yakuza". I know technically "like a dragon" is closer to the original Japanese but still. Besides, everyone is still going to call it "Yakuza" regardless because "Like a Dragon" is annoying to say and sounds lame as fuck (which I presume is why they didn't go with Like a Dragon in the first place).

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I'd say I'm jealous I wasn't born Japanese but then I remember what japan is really like and consider myself blessed

Humidity everywhere, homes with zero/terrible insulation leading to perpetual condensation and/or mold all the fucking time. Yeah Japan isn't perfect ;) Then again I can walk out to the conbini at 2am to get a snack and not worry about getting mugged so it's all a trade-off. I'm happy here on balance.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Then again I can walk out to the conbini at 2am to get a snack and not worry about getting mugged so it's all a trade-off.
and kids can go to school with 0 fear of dying because some poor sap got picked on too much and just so happened to have a gat in his bag
... they can instead die in workplaces when their boss forces them to work 40 hours a week + overtime!

Last edited:

Stinkbug

Neo Member
You didn't watch, did you? What do you consider anime? Is Tekken anime now?
I did not watch it straight through. I watched through it but fast forwarded through what I wasn't interested in. And yes, I'm calling things like Tekken and that mech game anime. I'm just playing though. If people saw things they liked then I'm glad for them.

jm89

We will never get games like shadow of the colusses or last guardian, hurts my soul. Rip japan studio, knack was your downfall.

Last edited:

tommib

We will never get games like shadow of the colusses or last guardian, hurts my soul. Rip japan studio, knack was your downfall.
What is Ueda doing these days? I feel that the closest we can get to those games is through From Software.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nothing shows embracing your heritage more than showing a bunch of third party Japanese games.

The exact opposite of Nintendo.

We wouldnt be getting them anyway. Ueda has been working on the follow up to The Last Guardian for years already with nothing to show. Thats why Sony shut the studio down, they are just extremely inefficient auteurs.

Nothing shows embracing your heritage more than showing a bunch of third party Japanese games.

The exact opposite of Nintendo.

And ironically people that say this forget sony has always relied mostly on 3rd party japanese games. They’ve mostly owned western studios like Naughty Dog, Bend, Evolution, psygnosis, etc.

Their biggest japanese games have always been produced by square enix, capcom, Konami, Bandai, etc. Sonys first party japanese games outside of Gran Turismo always sold like shit

tommib

We wouldnt be getting them anyway. Ueda has been working on the follow up to The Last Guardian for years already with nothing to show. Thats why Sony shut the studio down, they are just extremely inefficient auteurs.
As opposed to efficient AAA by the books devs like GG? The Sony I adored was willing to sacrifice money and time in exchange for the masterpieces we got from Ueda. Those are timeless and classic games that will move gamers for a long time. Heart and soul in those games, man.

yurinka

Its nice but no japan studio replacement.
They have nothing to replace, even if split into 2 offices the Japan Studio teams continue making internallly developed games as Team Asobi and publishing Asian 2nd party games (like Death Stranding Director's Cut, Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin) as their XDEV Japanese team.

As opposed to efficient AAA by the books devs like GG? The Sony I adored was willing to sacrifice money and time in exchange for the masterpieces we got from Ueda. Those are timeless and classic games that will move gamers for a long time. Heart and soul in those games, man.

Yes, as opposed to developers that can put out highly rated, unbroken games in a timely manner. Ueda didn’t even finish the Last Guardian

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
State of Play is very mediocre and this one would be terrible if it wasn't for the presence of those titles.

Those titles made up literally half of the entire 22 minute show. I'm sure lots of stuff would be pretty terrible if you cut out the best HALF of it.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
And ironically people that say this forget sony has always relied mostly on 3rd party japanese games. They’ve mostly owned western studios like Naughty Dog, Bend, Evolution, psygnosis, etc.

Their biggest japanese games have always been produced by square enix, capcom, Konami, Bandai, etc. Sonys first party japanese games outside of Gran Turismo always sold like shit

The people forgetting are the ones that either weren’t around, or can’t remember what Sony was like during the PS1/PS2 days.

Arachnid

The only thing I want from Japan is Silent Hill. Instead I get Stellar Blade and whatever tf Synduality is. The world isn't fair guys

tommib

Yes, as opposed to developers that can put out highly rated, unbroken games in a timely manner. Ueda didn’t even finish the Last Guardian
I wouldn’t call the latest big Sony releases delivered in a timely manner.

Anyway, we disagree on what makes games special. Ueda is a true artist - difficult to work with for sure but what he has done towers above the more industrially produced and recent Sony output.

yurinka

Ueda wasn't able to complete TLG, they had to ask for help to other teams, like Guerrilla

Markio128

At this point, I feel like we’ll get a top game at least every couple of months next year on PS5 and that’s without factoring in PSVR2 games.

yurinka

What is Ueda doing these days? I feel that the closest we can get to those games is through From Software.
He's making a game but only shown a couple of concept art illustrations. Kowloon did invest to fund the game, and later Epic came to invest more on it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Well, not exactly. The Rise of Ronin is seven years in developent, so this game was supported in the era of Layden-House. So Ryan Is still a dickhead

Shawn Layden got the boot an eternity ago. Jim Big Boy Ryan is the reason for that glorious SoP.

And again, he's smoking everyone without dropping the main payload. Guy is playing Chess while everyone else is playing Checkers.

Why would you want that? Only means we’ll have to wait for a PC release and will be stuck playing a badly frame-paced console version for years.

and yet, elden ring on ps4 played on a ps5 is still the best performing version of the game.

and it's less so that I want it, rather than its just predictably going to happen. Sony wouldn't invest so much money into them for this to be the first generation where they don't give them an exclusive.

Last edited:

yurinka

No lies detected.

Fredrik

and yet, elden ring on ps4 played on a ps5 is still the best performing version of the game.

and it's less so that I want it, rather than its just predictably going to happen. Sony wouldn't be invest so much money into them for this to be the first generation where they don't give them an exclusive.
So you wish for more last gen versions?
PC version of Elden Ring is glorious, I’ll never buy a console version of a FROM game ever again, it’s PC version or Bluepoint remake from here on.

yurinka

You mean Santa Monica? Every great artist delegates minor technical tasks.
Can't remember right now, not sure if it was SSM, GG or both.

Ueda didn't have a clear vision for the project, the performance was awful and they spent on it way more that usual, it was a money pit until Yoshida ran out of patience after so many years.

With Ueda out of the company they refocused the game without him (but keeping him as external advisor for PR reasons) with the help of different other teams (including staff who today is at Team Asobi) until they got something in a good enough state to be shippable.

Yeah that would be something, engine and polish by Bluepoint, game and design by FROM.
I still want a PC version though and preferrably not years later, Sony needs to stop doing those double dipping traps.

it seems most of their 3rd party exclusive games are releasing simultaneously on pc outside of FF16

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
They have nothing to replace, even if split into 2 offices the Japan Studio teams continue making internallly developed games as Team Asobi and publishing Asian 2nd party games (like Death Stranding Director's Cut, Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin) as their XDEV Japanese team.
No, japan studio was drastically shrunk.
Japan studio comprimised of team ico, project siren and sugar and rockets, more then just 1 studio.

Last edited:

yurinka

No, japan studio was drastically shrunk.
Japan studio comprimised of team ico, project siren and sugar and rockets, more then just 1 studio.
Fake news.

Japan Studio was a single studio that had main divisions: the internal first party development (who weren't capable to release a single hit in decades) and the 2nd party publishing.

With the restructuring they merged into Team Asobi their different internal development teams, rebranded it and promoted the Team Asobi leadership to studio leadership. Some devs left or got fired, but Team Asobi now has a lot of people who previously worked on non Team Asobi games like The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush series, Siren series, Knack series, Puppeteer, and a long etc., more than the one they already had when working on Astro's Playroom.

And as they did before with the European and American 2nd party publishing divisions, they moved their Japanese 2nd party publishind division of Japan Studio to a separate studio to report now to the global XDEV team as the European and American branches instead to a local gamedev team. This team is the one that after the restructuring published Death Stranding Director's Cut and is working in games like Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin.

Both Team Asobi and their XDEV Japanese team are growing. Their XDEV Japanese team not only will publish Japanese games, they have expanded to also publish games from the rest of Asia.

Last edited:

NahaNago

All of these games were most likely coming to the playstation anyways. Like of course a yakuza based game is coming to playstation and of course the next tekken is coming to playstation. That stellar blade game is the odd one since you don't get a lot of Korean games coming to console. So this doesn't actually doesn't mean anything. I could understand if these were games were published by Sony or even made by Sony but these were mostly just Japanese games that were already going to come to playstation. Plus are any of these even exclusive?

Plus are any of these even exclusive?
Yes

And the point is Sony used the majority of their show highlighting big Japanese/non-Western games. They locked up some exclusives as well.

This is in addition to games coming soon like Valkyrie Elysium and Final Fantasy XVI.

Last edited:
Top Bottom