• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A film like Blazing Saddles could never be made today

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

i disagreed with the outcry there but they never denied it was satirical humor. the entire point was that the show was picking the wrong target.

"They" is a little wide. But sure...some people got that it was satire. Plenty of people didn't as well.

I think at this point it's not the racial (not racist) content of the movie that wouldn't go over, it's the screwball comedy aspect.

Airplane wouldn't get made today either because the style of comedy wouldn't play broadly like it did in the 70s.

I agree. There's nothing in Blazing Saddles that I think means it couldn't get made today, except for the fact that screwball comedies just aren't really in right now. I hope they are again someday, as it's the very best form of comedy, in my opinion.

aeolist

Banned
"They" is a little wide. But sure...some people got that it was satire. Plenty of people didn't as well.

if your point is that some people wouldn't get the humor in a modern day blazing saddles and complain about it then i don't think anyone would disagree. you'll note, however, that colbert was not in fact canceled.

OP is about how this movie could not be made today, which is patently ridiculous.

No one at Fox News lost their shit over that Seth MacFarlane western and that portrayed western settlers as more moronic than Blazing Saddles.

Next?

But Seth MacFarlane also produces two TV shows for FOX and has a contract with them. Would that have any influence at all on their opinions of his movie?

ElFly

The point is whether a movie like blazing saddles would get made, not whether there exists some set of people who would get enraged at its existence.

Nobody has really pointed any aspect of BS that would get it vetoed from being made today.

notworksafe

if your point is that some people wouldn't get the humor in a modern day blazing saddles and complain about it then i don't think anyone would disagree. you'll note, however, that colbert was not in fact canceled.

OP is about how this movie could not be made today, which is patently ridiculous.

Well that's cute. Yes, in a literal sense it could be made today. Cameras do still work and are able to film movies.

But it would not have nearly the positive reception today that it would when released. That is almost certainly what the OP meant:

I would have to think that if a film with this humor would to come out today, it would outrage the pundits and talking heads to the point where it would be boycotted

Flynn

I would like to see a graph of black screenwriter credits across the years. I suspect there were more in the 60s and 70s than there are now.

Tansut

Don't worry, Adam Sandler has it covered!

xNXJcoT.jpg

I don't understand. You are upset that something which does exist and which you enjoy may not have existed in another reality where an attempt would be made to produce at a later time?

A movie like this wouldn't be made today simply because it wouldn't be found funny today. Not because of some political correct boogeyman some are so frightened by.

People can't even watch comic book movies these days without losing their shit.

I agree that it could be made, but the backlash would be enormous.

The only reason you even hear about people getting upset is because of social media, though. If Age of Ultron came out in an age without the developed internet almost everyone would think the movie was a 100% hit with audiences everywhere. The people who took issues with it wouldn't have had a soap box from which to shout.

I don't think it would be enormous, but I'm sure it would generate some backlash. Everything does, though.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't understand. You are upset that something which does exist and which you enjoy may not have existed in another reality where an attempt would be made to produce at a later time?
Those damn hypothetical SJWs.

They ruin all my imaginary fun.

NoblesseOblige said:
A movie like this wouldn't be made today simply because it wouldn't be found funny today.
Please tell me you mean that tastes in humor have changed and NOT that Blazing Saddles isn't still funny today.

JDSN

Banned
Well that's cute. Yes, in a literal sense it could be made today. Cameras do still work and are able to film movies.

But it would not have nearly the positive reception today that it would when released. That is almost certainly what the OP meant:

Why not? Im really confused about the point you are trying to argue, maybe if it was something like the Birth of a Nation but the example people are bringing up its a movie that points out racism and criticises the people that do it. By that logic stuff like Selma and 12 Years a Slave you get bashed by this fabricated group of people.

Yeah man, tired of all those people ruining all the good all-american actions movies for the rest of us with their petty whinning and desire to not be left out.

Nudull

Banned
This constant whining about PC society is pretty hilariously sad. We can't be offensive anymore, oh the horror.

Dalek

Yes-that's what I meant.

a movie like blazing saddles NEEDS to be made today in these times. It's needed.

And I do agree with this as well.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
a movie like blazing saddles NEEDS to be made today in these times. It's needed.

notworksafe

Why not? Im really confused about the point you are trying to argue, maybe if it was something like the Birth of a Nation but the example people are bringing up its a movie that points out racism and criticises the people that do it. By that logic stuff like Selma and 12 Years a Slave you get bashed by this fabricated group of people.

Those are comedies with racial humor?

Please tell me you mean that tastes in humor have changed and NOT that Blazing Saddles isn't still funny today.

Yes I meant the public taste of humor has changed. But if I'm being perfectly honest I never found Blazing Saddles to be funny. I never found Monty Python to be funny either. I'm actually a really humorless person. Dr. Strangelove is the only comedy I can enjoy.

It received mixed reviews when it first came out and Warner Bros had things they wanted changed in the movie. Mel Brooks had final cut of course.

Wikipedia said:
Brooks had repeated conflicts with studio executives over the cast and content. They objected to both the highly provocative script and the "irregular" activities of the writers (particularly Richard Pryor, who reportedly led all-night writing jams fueled by loud music and drugs). Brooks wanted Pryor to play the sheriff, but Warner executives expressed concern over Pryor's heavy drug use and alleged mental instability.[7] Cleavon Little was cast in the role, and Pryor continued as co-screenwriter. In the midst of shooting, Gene Wilder — who had previously turned down the Hedley Lamarr role — was brought in to replace Gig Young, who collapsed during his first scene from what was later determined to be alcohol withdrawal syndrome.[8][9]

After an in-studio screening, Warner Bros. executives objected to constant use of the word "nigger", the flatulent campfire scene, and Mongo appearing to punch a horse, and asked Brooks to modify those scenes. Brooks declined, as his contract gave him control of the final cut. He did remove the final line of Bart's response to Lili's attempt to seduce him in the dark: "I hate to disappoint you, ma'am, but you're sucking my arm."[10] To an interviewer's query about his frequent use of "nigger" in the script, Brooks responded that if Blazing Saddles were to be remade today, the controversial word would have to be omitted ("and then, you've got no movie..."). He added that he had received consistent support for its use from writer Richard Pryor, and lead actor Cleavon Little.[11]

Don't worry, Adam Sandler has it covered!

xNXJcoT.jpg

The one man who can sink lower than Seth MacFarlane. Blazing Saddles turns the tables on racial profiling and uses it as social satire as well as a talking point for the movie. All early reports of The Ridiculous Six just point to it as being offensive and pandering to the lowest common denominators.

notworksafe

It received mixed reviews when it first came out and Warner Bros had things they wanted changed in the movie. Mel Brooks had final cut of course.

It was also only the 10th movie at the time to break the $100 million mark at the box office. So I'd call that a hit.

KarmaCow

And yet, Age of Ultron reached 1B in <4 weeks and a 89% audience score on Rotten Tomatos despite people losing their shit.

entremet

I also don't think people were losing their shit about Ultron.

A few people made online articles that went viral. That's it.

atr0cious

In a world where Django Unchained exists I'm not totally sure this is true

I will never understand people getting upset at the usage of the n word in Django. The movie would be toothless without it, and fraudulent. And blacks would be first in line to let them know.

Glad to see Mel and Pryor agreed.

Blazing Saddles is amazing. My mother told me what it was like being in the theater watching this, hearing people gasp.

J@hranimo

Banned
Oh man...I haven't seen this movie in a few years. That clip from Conan was hilarious, I also need to rewatch this. Hope it's on Netflix.

KingGondo

Banned
It was also only the 10th movie at the time to break the $100 million mark at the box office. So I'd call that a hit.
He didn't say anything about it not being a hit, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Of course it was extremely popular. That's part of the reason it's considered a classic today.

People that are Politically Correct don't have a very good sense of humour.
Though it seems whoever yells the loudest gets their way in todays world.

Just glad GAF didn't go full PC, I still remember the bans from a few years ago.
It was like walking on egg shells.

What the fuck is this shit?

tumblr_mc5wcccCug1ql005v.gif

Ysiadmihi

Banned
And yet, Age of Ultron reached 1B in <4 weeks and a 89% audience score on Rotten Tomatos despite people losing their shit.

I didn't say it wasn't commercially or critically successful. Just pointing out that if people can manage to get that offended at a movie about comic book characters doing comic book things, the backlash against a movie like Blazing Saddles would be a little more than "some".

I also don't think people were losing their shit about Ultron.

A few people made online articles that went viral. That's it.

That's the thing about it all. None of it is really ever THAT many people losing their shit over these things, but the echochamber that gets created mostly through social media is so great that it ends up seeming that way. It's certainly enough to enact changes, for better or for worse.

I'm unsure of your point. It was controversial at the time. That often attracts an audience, even today.

Part of the reasons Tropic Thunder was a success was also controversy.

And Django Unchained, not a comedy by genre but filled with humor, also was controversial. It wasn't a realistic film by any stretch. So I have no problem comparing that to Blazing Saddles.

Not everyone that saw these highly successful films like what they saw and I'm sure a portion was offended.

I don't think a movie like Blazing Saddles would work today, but neither do I think it should. Blazing Saddles is a product of it's time, meaning it is reflective of both the sense of humor and the cultural climate of the 70s. The movie is eternally funny and can still be appreciated today because it is a cultural landmark and can be seen as such, but if the jokes were transposed 1:1 it just would not work in a modern context.

This isn't because of straw-SJWs and I think the implication that somehow PC culture is limiting creative expression is dubious. Ironic and offensive satire still works today--the #CancelColbert hashtag was mentioned, but you can't deny how damned successful he was with a similar tone to the humor. Similarly it isn't because of the content, Django Unchained was also successful, despite the liberal (most liberal ever IIRC) usage of the N word. Nor is it because it is a comedy about racism, a modern example of a film that is reflective of modern sensibilities is Dear White People.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom