• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A film like Blazing Saddles could never be made today

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

Lol okay, I see the game now.

Blazing Saddles is a big budget comedy with well known actors that made satrical racial humor as one of its main tentpoles.

I don't see how indie flicks that no one ever heard of or dramas are comparable.

actually i'd be surprised if it came out today and we didn't get a bunch of fox news reports lambasting it for negatively portraying courageous white settlers in the old west

This is actually my thought. Yeah, there's a few things that would rile Tumblr up pretty good, but by and large it's the racist villains who get the short straw over and over and over. My money's on the huge majority of the hypothetical moral outrage coming from the right, not the left.

Brakke

Banned
Should institute Wikipedia rules here. [citation needed], OP. You wanna start a thread based on an interview with someone who pitched a satire movie and was told "no because there are too many damn SJWs" then we can talk. This right here is baseless speculative nothing.

aeolist

Banned
Blazing Saddles is a big budget comedy with well known actors that made satrical racial humor as one of its main tentpoles.

I don't see how indie flicks that no one ever heard of or dramas are comparable.

indies are really the only movies these days that get to have a strong creative voice completely in charge the way brooks was back in the 70s, but that's because the business model and economics have changed and not because of the PC brigade

Dalek

Should institute Wikipedia rules here. [citation needed], OP. You wanna start a thread based on an interview with someone who pitched a satire movie and was told "no because there are too many damn SJWs" then we can talk. This right here is baseless speculative nothing.

Good grief-I should have just stated-"I would find it hard to believe that Blazing Saddles could be made by a major studio today." I expected a conversation about the film, but the wording of my post.

zeemumu

I think the white sheet eyehole joke in Django is the closest we've gotten to Blazing Saddles territory. Or the Amistad 2 joke in Scary Movie 1.

entremet

indies are really the only movies these days that get to have a strong creative voice completely in charge the way brooks was back in the 70s, but that's because the business model and economics have changed and not because of the PC brigade

Yeah. Studios are also more conservative and less risk taking.

Brakke

Banned
Good grief-I should have just stated-"I would find it hard to believe that Blazing Saddles could be made by a major studio today." I expected a conversation about the film, but the wording of my post.

That's the same thing. Do you have any example of any film or project ever quashed over Fear of the SJW Spectre? Ultron caught some "backlash", fine, but it's still making money hands over fist. Why would anyone be afraid of "PC police" or whatever?

Stat!

I think comedy movies in general kinda suck today. The very odd one is funny but they're so thrown in with terrible side plots and have terrible humour.

I don't know but my two favourite comedies that still make me laugh through multiple re-watches (Airplane/The Holy Grail). I still laugh when I see the scene with the bell ringing as the sheriff comes to town.

But I mean was airplane/Holy Grail offense? I don't remember them focusing on race jokes or really any disgusting humour jokes either which I feel a lot of comedies today try to focus on.

Any pure comedies that aren't completely over the top and point out each joke? I feel like most comedies basically today tell a joke and pause pointing to the joke.

gohepcat

Banned
i disagreed with the outcry there but they never denied it was satirical humor. the entire point was that the show was picking the wrong target.

No. The show's obvious target was the Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder. That backlash is still the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life. Just staggeringly, shockingly dumb.

As for Blazing Saddles? Yea I believe it could be made today.

Is there any recent mainstream movie that uses the word "faggot" for humor? That's not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely wondering.

notworksafe

Get Hard, did.

Which is also a "big budget comedy with well known actors that made satrical racial humor as one of its main tentpoles". But I doubt it counts :(.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/get_hard/

Let's pretend prison rape jokes are funny (they're not) and cheap homophobia jokes are funny (also not). Even with all those concessions? Get Hard still isn't that funny.

Moviegoers aren't supposed to ask whether the jokes are in poor taste because the cast is so diverse, so everyone must approve, right? Even if you buy that logic, it doesn't excuse the poor execution.

...an increasingly unpleasant comedy, wasting two very funny stars in a barrage of prison rape gags, lazy stereotypes, toilet stall indignities and insincere acceptance of people already marginalized in movies.

It's hard to recall a movie with such a huge platform appearing to be so out of touch with society.

Offensive on many levels, even before you factor in the ironic (but not really) racial banter between Ferrell and Hart - or the sleazy objectification of some of its (minor) female characters.

Yep, all that racial humor really going over well nowadays.

JDSN

Banned
Hahahahah I could point out the 100 mil profit but you are just being absurd. Enjoying complaining about outrage culture with made up people.

Is Blazing Saddles even considered big budget? It was 2.7 million. Godfather was 6 million. Jaws was 9 million. Superman just a few years later was 55 million. When adjusted for inflation Blazing Saddles is not even close to modern big budget films.

Edit: Even Young Frankenstein had a bigger budget than Blazing Saddles at 2.8 million, and was released the same year. I fail to consider BS to be big budget. More like average budget.

Kurdel

Banned
I agree with your alternative title Dalek.

Major motion pictures studios are under so much pressure tu succeed, they couldn't risk a failiure by making this kind of satire.

entremet

Is Blazing Saddles even considered big budget? It was 2.7 million. Jaws was around the same time at 9 million. Superman just a few years later was 55 million. When adjusted for inflation Blazing Saddles is not even close to modern big budget films.
Wow. Superman was expensive!

notworksafe

Hahahahah I could point out the 100 mil profit but you are just being absurd. Enjoying complaining about outrage culture with made up people.

But I thought it wasn't about profit, it was about reception. Which is it again?

isn't that just a shitty movie though?

so we have to come up with a big budget movie made by a large studio starring multiple major stars that uses racial humor prominently and is an all-time classic in terms of quality

forget recent history, i can't come up with any movie besides blazing saddles that's done this

No. Get Hard 100% counts as a good comparison. The reception and review quotes I just posted show how racial humor is not seen the same way as it was in 1974...and it also proves the OPs point.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/get_hard/

Yep, all that racial humor really going over well nowadays.
If only those reviews would tell us WHY the racial humor didn't work in this film.

Oh wait, they do. I promise, if Blazing Saddles was "poorly executed", made up of purely "lazy stereotypes", had "insincere acceptance" of marginalized characters, was "out of touch with society", and had "sleazy objectification" it would have been shat on in 1974 as well as today.

But somehow, despite ALL of this, Get Hard was made.

Clevon Little was absolutely amazing in this. Like a live action Bugs Bunny. Blazing Saddles is a treasure of American social commentary and film making.

Dalek

Clevon Little was absolutely amazing in this. Like a live action Bugs Bunny. Blazing Saddles is a treasure of American social commentary and film making.

It blows my mind that he didn't have a bigger career after this. The man is one of the naturally funniest people I've ever seen on film. Pairing him with Gene Wilder is lightning in a bottle.

hidys

isn't that just a shitty movie though?

so we have to come up with a big budget movie made by a large studio starring multiple major stars that uses racial humor prominently and is an all-time classic in terms of quality

forget recent history, i can't come up with any movie besides blazing saddles that's done this

I would argue Inglourious Basterds hits all of those points.

aeolist

Banned
No. Get Hard 100% counts as a good comparison. The reception and review quotes I just posted show how racial humor is not seen the same way as it was in 1974...and it also proves the OPs point.

did you see get hard? was it good? i haven't been interested in will ferrell movies for a while so that plus the universal panning it got from critics put me off

would you say it's as funny as blazing saddles?

I would argue Inglourious Basterds hits all of those points.

sorry, it has to be a comedy to count. forgot that we have to limit it as much as possible.

notworksafe

did you see get hard? was it good? i haven't been interested in will ferrell movies for a while so that plus the universal panning it got from critics put me off

would you say it's as funny as blazing saddles?

I honestly didn't know it existed. Even though it has a bad rating I think I'll see if it's playing somewhere this weekend, I enjoy both Ferrell and Hart.

Brakke

Banned

How does it prove the OPs point? Get Hard wasn't received well because the jokes are *bad*, not just because they touch on charged topics. Meanwhile, it made back its budget more than double. So the poor reception 1) isn't just that the humor was racial 2) won't give a studio exec a second's pause when she goes to greenlight another racial humor movie.

Different wording for my post since others are arguing over minutia. "I would find it hard to believe that Blazing Saddles could be made by a major studio today."

"People arguing over minutia" is not why you caught flak. You caught flak because you didn't back up your claim at all. That's not minutia, that's the whole thing.

Cat Party

A movie like Blazing Saddles could get made today, and a small minority of people would aggressively not get the joke and complain, and then many many more people would complain that there are too many complainers these days.

Dalek

"People arguing over minutia" is not why you caught flak. You caught flak because you didn't back up your claim at all. That's not minutia, that's the whole thing.

giphy.gif

hidys

A movie like Blazing Saddles could get made today, and a small minority of people would aggressively not get the joke and complain, and then many many more people would complain that there are too many complainers these days.

And there we have it.

JDSN

Banned
But I thought it wasn't about profit, it was about reception. Which is it again?

Well. The point its that a movie of this nature cant be game.

Then the point changed to movies that satirize racists.

Then it changed again to movies that satirize racists that have a big budget.

Then it changed to movires that satirize racists that have a big budget and have no negative reception.

I pointed out movies that fullfills this ever-expanding conditions, even one that made a profit in 2015, indicating that 1.It can be made. 2. There is a very profitable market for it.

I could point out Tropic Thunder again, but im sure another arbitrary rule will appear, like it wasnt released during a full moon.

Karkador

Banned
OP, have you ever found joke from your parents' generation to be lame or too outside the context of their era to be funny?

Brakke

Banned
Like. Your edit to the OP is just equivocating.

Why do you find it hard to believe that Blazing Saddles could be made by a major studio today? You agreed with a dude rephrasing you into believing that the humor would outrage people into boycotting the movie... What recent movie has had any kind of consequential organized boycott?

And then most people wouldn't see any of this bickering and would just go watch it because cowboys are cool.

Gastone

Blazing Saddles is one of my all time favorite comedy films..it's absolutely hilarious. I need to rewatch it soon.

Speaking of films that would never been made today. True Lies, anyone?

ElFly

Get hard got made and distributed. It also made more than 100m dollars in the BO.

So if it counts as 100% good comparison, the OP point is invalid.

If you want to move the goalposts to "people complained", fine by me, but I will bet people complained about Blazing Saddles too.

I am more cautious about Get Hard. Dunno if it really has the same kind of humor than BS.

I don't doubt that a film like this could be made, I simply doubt how genuinely funny it would be. I saw Pitch Perfect 2 and all of the racism jokes were cringeworthy, not laugh out loud funny.

Broad City, 30 Rock, South Park, all have handled racial comedy well in my opinion.

a movie making fun of racists would probably do pretty well

Yup. I doubt this hypothesis.

The reality is that plenty of retrograde politically incorrect stuff sees the light of day--I mean, the ongoing career of Adam Sandler for a start. The rarity is quality material in that vein getting made IMO.

Karkador

Banned
Blazing Saddles is one of my all time favorite comedy films..it's absolutely hilarious. I need to rewatch it soon.

Speaking of films that would never been made today. True Lies, anyone?

They can't blow up that old bridge in Key West twice,

And PC culture aged Arnold and Jamie Lee Curtis

KingGondo

Banned
I don't doubt that a film like this could be made, I simply doubt how genuinely funny it would be. I saw Pitch Perfect 2 and all of the racism jokes were cringeworthy, not laugh out loud funny.

Broad City, 30 Rock, South Park, all have handled racial comedy well in my opinion.
That's the distinction. Comedy about racial topics is fantastic when it's done well, but it requires that the creators understand race, an extremely touchy and complex topic.

Blazing Saddles is a classic because it is fucking hilarious. The fact that it skewers racism and racial sterotypes so well is just another mark in its favor.

It blows my mind that he didn't have a bigger career after this. The man is one of the naturally funniest people I've ever seen on film. Pairing him with Gene Wilder is lightning in a bottle.

Clevon Little should have won an oscar. Madeline Kahns nomination was deserved, but Clevon Little just nailed that part. One of the most lovable characters in the history of movies, Gene Wilder too. It's a wonderful, wonderful movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom