• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A film like Blazing Saddles could never be made today

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

Please, stop using Django as an example. It's a bad one. It's worlds apart from Blazing Saddles. The two are clearly going to be interpreted differently by audiences.

More like please stop using it cause it destroys your arguments, and your only escape is to pretend it not being a comedy somehow protects it.

And the reason you should pay attention to the caveat that "it's not as likely to happen" is because you chose to quote my post and respond to it. And in the process you made it sound like I believed it could not be made today, when I clearly said it was possible. It's okay to say something probably wouldn't happen, but could. Because I'm not saying it "would never happen today." I never say something will never happen (with the exception of sentences like that).

Not sure what you are saying here, but the truth is that "not likely to happen" is impossible to quantify with movies, which makes your statement valueless.

There's more swearing and nudity on TV now, but less bluntness as well. When people bring up All in the Family, Blazing Saddles, The Jeffersons, etc. it's usually because those shows and films were doing things in a much more brazen way than what the rest of Hollywood was producing. And that's not to say that we don't have our own equivalents today to some degree. There's Louie, Sunny, and South Park to name a few. I'm quite happy to have these shows to balance out the shows that go out of their way to never offend anyone.

You say this as if South Park was even remotely possible in the 70s. You have to go look to weird events, like Fritz the Cat to have something approximating it, and that was a single movie as opposed to a weekly tv series. And cartoons like south park are becoming their own genre nowadays. Are you pretending that social media has made South Park less popular and that tumblr is actively preventing new series like it from happening?

I just want to see comedy flourish and less self-censorship. Social media and tumblr have had a palpably negative affect on what comedians can say now, I think.

If some comedians feel attacked by social media and feel they cannot say whatever they want, that is one thing -spoiler, they can still say whatever they want, but the truth is they are offending people in their audience which they didn't notice or care for before twitter-, but to pretend that the media is not way, waaaay, waaaaaaaay more open than in the 70s, to the point that something like Blazing Saddles could not be made today is crazy. Or even your weaker "would get made but would be received by an angry mob with lit torches". That would just not happen.

Of course, you believe so little in this crazy argument that you cushioned it in weak quantifications like "less likely to be made", "probably would not get made, but could" so whatevs.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I just read the wikipedia page for this show, and it sounds amazing.

it really was, it teached people we could all have a good laugh at each other without making a big deal out of it if only we wanted to. Obviously some dumbass would freak out and call it racist nowadays, when in fact show wanted to point to the opposite (and it stereotyped the English as much as the other countries)

More like please stop using it cause it destroys your arguments, and your only escape is to pretend it not being a comedy somehow protects it.

Not sure what you are saying here, but the truth is that "not likely to happen" is impossible to quantify with movies, which makes your statement valueless.

You say this as if South Park was even remotely possible in the 70s. You have to go look to weird events, like Fritz the Cat to have something approximating it, and that was a single movie as opposed to a weekly tv series. And cartoons like south park are becoming their own genre nowadays. Are you pretending that social media has made South Park less popular and that tumblr is actively preventing new series like it from happening?

If some comedians feel attacked by social media and feel they cannot say whatever they want, that is one thing -spoiler, they can still say whatever they want, but the truth is they are offending people in their audience which they didn't notice or care for before twitter-, but to pretend that the media is not way, waaaay, waaaaaaaay more open than in the 70s, to the point that something like Blazing Saddles could not be made today is crazy. Or even your weaker "would get made but would be received by an angry mob with lit torches". That would just not happen.

Of course, you believe so little in this crazy argument that you cushioned it in weak quantifications like "less likely to be made", "probably would not get made, but could" so whatevs.

Yeah, Django totally kills my argument. An argument, mind you, that isn't all that different than yours- the primary difference being that there are certain topics shows tread more lightly on today than they did in that era. I hate to get into arguments of minutia like this. There's no gratification to it (go ahead and add another brownie point of "destroying my argument" to the chalkboard).

You're not listening to my points about then vs. now, or I'm not doing a good job of explaining them. But the fact that you're saying things like "You say this as if South Park was even remotely possible in the 70s" lead me to believe it's the former. Yes, I believe social media and internet mobs are having a negative affect on comedy. No, I don't believe that's the end of people doing "risky" work. I think it just leads to more self-censorship that did not exist in the 70's. But since you're not listening to my point about past vs. present, I'll say it differently: there were things they got away with then that many shows would not try today- one of the reasons being that they don't feel the need to because race (for example) may not seem as hot of a topic as it was then. So one of the underlying reasons I believe a movie like Blazing Saddles wouldn't be made today is because we've moved on. I didn't explain this in my initial post but I was on my phone and didn't think it would become a thing. Cheesus, this was a stupid way to use my time today. I think the biggest difference of opinion we have is the level of which the internet is causing people to censor themselves. I don't believe it's an epidemic but I think it's a sad thing to see art get changed because of something like twitter.

Yeah, Django totally kills my argument. An argument, mind you, that isn't all that different than yours- the primary difference being that there are certain topics shows tread more lightly on today than they did in that era. I hate to get into arguments of minutia like this. There's no gratification to it (go ahead and add another brownie point of "destroying my argument" to the chalkboard).

You're not listening to my points about then vs. now, or I'm not doing a good job of explaining them. But the fact that you're saying things like "You say this as if South Park was even remotely possible in the 70s" lead me to believe it's the former. Yes, I believe social media and internet mobs are having a negative affect on comedy. No, I don't believe that's the end of people doing "risky" work. I think it just leads to more self-censorship that did not exist in the 70's. But since you're not listening to my point about past vs. present, I'll say it differently: there were things they got away with then that many shows would not try today- one of the reasons being that they don't feel the need to because race (for example) may not seem as hot of a topic as it was then. So one of the underlying reasons I believe a movie like Blazing Saddles wouldn't be made today is because we've moved on. I didn't explain this in my initial post but I was on my phone and didn't think it would become a thing. Cheesus, this was a stupid way to use my time today. I think the biggest difference of opinion we have is the level of which the internet is causing people to censor themselves. I don't believe it's an epidemic but I think it's a sad thing to see art get changed because of something like twitter.

have you been paying attention to current events? with the whole ferguson/baltimore/obama presidency business, it's become BLINDINGLY clear that we have most certainly NOT "moved on" from race issues at all- "some" people were simply ignoring them, or blind to them due to living in areas with no minority presence.

half the population is SHOCKED at the implication that police are targeting minorities, and the other half has been screaming that they've been telling everyone that for decades.

have you been paying attention to current events? with the whole ferguson/baltimore/obama presidency business, it's become BLINDINGLY clear that we have most certainly NOT "moved on" from race issues at all- "some" people were simply ignoring them, or blind to them due to living in areas with no minority presence.

When I said "we've moved on" I was talking about filmmakers. I in no way claimed that racism was over.

When I said "we've moved on" I was talking about filmmakers. I in no way claimed that racism was over.

do filmmakers not live in society? are they somehow "above" seeing the tensions that are actually present in the country they live? is it not the job of filmmakers to comment on said society using art?

Bodacious

Banned
it really was, it teached people we could all have a good laugh at each other without making a big deal out of it if only we wanted to. Obviously some dumbass would freak out and call it racist nowadays, when in fact show wanted to point to the opposite (and it stereotyped the English as much as the other countries)

And I know its probably been said already but a lot of 1970's TV was like this too, most notably shows like All in the Family, the Jeffersons, Carter Country, Sanford & Son, Chico & the Man. They made entertainment out of throwing little racially oriented jokes back and forth and in all directions, but what was really going on was pointing out the stupidity & immaturity underlying those biases and misconceptions. Nowadays there are too many things that can't be said, can't be shown, because its apparently preferable to present a false world on TV to which no one can take offense.

do filmmakers not live in society? are they somehow "above" seeing the tensions that are actually present in the country they live?

What am I, the spokesperson for filmmakers? They do whatever the hell they want. I don't dictate what they decide to focus on. All I did was offer up a theory on why certain topics were addressed more heavily then vs. now. That does not mean I believe racism is not a huge issue for the world to overcome. It just means that Hollywood would rather focus on other things now. But given the level of attention we've had with events like Ferguson lately, that may change.

Brakke

Banned
Does this movie hold up well? its been in my to watch list for long time. to those who've seen it recently.

1) yes it's great

2) it's a total classic. you've seen Blazing Saddle homage / jokes before but didn't realize it. it's on the required reading list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom