• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A good battle system can carry a mediocre RPG

KàIRóS

I'll agree with you on Poke a man because i agree, but SMT?
kym_entry.jpg

What can I say, the SMT games just dont click with me, oh and btw I'm only talking about the mainline SMT games not the sub series like Digital Devil Saga or Persona, I do like those.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Man i am surprised at the Octopath hate in this thread. I am going through the game right now and I love it.

KàIRóS

Man i am surprised at the Octopath hate in this thread. I am going through the game right now and I love it.

It's not necessarily hate, most games mentioned here are generally good, it's just that the combat in those games is doing most of the job in making them good games.

I like Octopath Traveler but I do agree with most that the best things about that game were the battle system and the soundtrack.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Thats not called shit combat. They both have SOLID combat system. Maybe you dislike TB?
No, I prefer TB. Just really disliked those two. Like I said, DQXI was just too simplistic, to the point where combat was just a chore. NNK took the worst parts of RT and TB, then threw in a poor Pokemon component. I really hated that system.

Last edited:
Hell yes. It's story is bonkers frankly but the gameplay is so good. I really wish more fantasy rpgs had combat like this.

The opposite is also true unfortunately. Take Alpha Protocol. I loved the story but goddamn I couldn't finish it because the gameplay was shit.

Yeah, Alpha Protocol is a game I really *wanted* to love, but it just wouldn't let me.

daveonezero

Banned
I think its just a balance of a lot of factors. For instance I am loving DQX1. Yes it is a bit simple but its keeping me engaged. I've never played DQ and I did pick the one option where weak enemies don't give XP.

I think the ways a game hooks individuals is interesting. Honestly with DQX1 I'm more disappointed in not having all the equipment be modeled. To me it is a lot to do with new mechanics throughout the game being fed to the player. Things like collectables and upgrading really matter. That along with some customization for characters. But none of this matters if nothing is balanced and there is no real strategy,.

I'm looking for a game that melds character building, visuals, active or turn based combat and a decent story. Its something that doesn't really exist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom