• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A helpful tip: use 0-255 RGB range on your PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're seeing black crush that's due to your own display. There is no black crush on my display.

If I'm seeing black crush and you aren't, it's either because (1) you don't see the crush because you have a misadjusted monitor or (2) because of the way you saved the image file and how the browser is rendering it. My monitor is color calibrated with an Eye-One color calibration device for professional work. Is yours? Make/model?

I see the same crush on when looking at these twi images on my IPS-display iPad 3, which is considered one of the more accurate RGB displays on the market.

I don't know how you DON'T see the black crush in these two images. It's really apparent on the right side especially. where the metalic fades into black. It's being crushed. Significant detail is disappearing. I'd strongly recommend re-enabling that YUV -> RGB setting. Or at least not recommending anyone else follow your path. If you prefer it like that, it's cool...but the setting is crushing blacks.

You are incorrect. You can clearly see the black crush with photoshop.
thank you.

vazel

Banned
I honestly don't know what you two are seeing or what you expect to see in that image without compromising a calibrated black level. I played the video on my calibrated plasma using PS3 Media Server and it looks like that bottom VLC picture.

Here's the first 20 seconds of the movie so you can test for yourselves. http://www.mediafire.com/?eb41884bc06em4o

If you're seeing black crush that's due to your own display. There is no black crush on my display.

yeah, if only you would have a display like this.
I'm always very skeptical in threads like these. I don't trust other peopls eyes or judgement.
But in the end, go what pleases YOUR eyes most.

vazel

Banned
Damn, the problem is the screenshot comparisons weren't exact frame comparisons and thus the lighting differs slightly. That's why people think there's black crush.

Pepto

Banned
Damn, the problem is the screenshot comparisons weren't exact frame comparisons and thus the lighting differs slightly. That's why people think there's black crush.

No. It is not just that:

crush.png

vazel

Banned
You don't believe the histogram?
Just download and see for yourself. It's only 7MB. My initial screenshot comparison was flawed since it was not a direct frame comparison in a scene with varying lighting.

Edit: Apparently there is no function to go to a specific frame in VLC like there is in MPC-HC.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I did not know about this option, I did not see any difference, but my PC is hooked up via HDMI, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I changed it too, but nothing happened.

I use PotPlayer with LAV and EVR Custom Preset since MadVR isn't x64.

Just download and see for yourself. It's only 7MB. My initial screenshot comparison was flawed since it was not a direct frame comparison in a scene with varying lighting.

Edit: Apparently there is no function to go to a specific frame in VLC like there is in MPC-HC.

You are not crushing blacks (or white) there or losing information. Even in those pics.
You'd have to run a black bar scale test to know.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Update

I decided to actually follow nVidia's note: that I should tweak the settings while the video played. I instantly noticed the grays become blacks.

I don't think it changed anything for games. They're still a bit dull on my display.

Huge difference between the two sets of photos on my GNex.

Edit: holy shit a lot of the before pics being posted in here look like they were instagrammed. Damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom