• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Game from Ex-Dragon Quest Director Expected To Be Announced On December 23rd

KiTA

Goes live in 2 minutes, according to Niconico:
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv244594734

I don't know if you need premium to watch Niconico livestreams.

No clue what we'll see, it appears to be a DQX stream, although the second half looks like they're having all the upcoming DQ properties being shown.

(DQX single player / mobile spinoff? New DQX expansion?)

Edit: Oh hell, this event is being shown in two segments, segment 1 is 2 hours long and covers DQX's year in review, segment 2 is when this announcement is apparently happening.

Edit: Over 6000 viewers... 7000....

Edit: 9k... Some English comments in the comments stream, hope they don't get upset at that.

Edit: 10... 11k. Red text is apparently the admins? Been too long since I was on Nico Nico.

.... Aaand thrown out to make room for premium users.

Edit: Reloading worked. 12k users. No idea if that's a lot. It seems like a lot?

Edit: About to start. Just shy of 14k users.

Edit: Out again, just as it starts, but it let me right back in after I hit refresh. Interesting con, harassing free viewers by throwing them out of the stream every few minutes like this. Just shy of 16k users.

Edit: Just shy of 19k... 20k users. Staa-no... Star Present? Star Event? Some Christmas event in DQX?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Nico Nico is tough to endure when there are a lot of viewers. Gonna guess a mobile game but let's see...after word gets out post-stream.

It's hard to ignore "easy money" comments like the below.

NOOOOOOO !

I did hope for a DQVIII steam and PS4 port with all the 3DS stuff added to it from all of my soul. What's the point doing more game when the serie hits its highest with DQVIII and the king title is not on every platform ? That baffle me hard, Square Enix come on, be smart about it, that's easy money here.

Nintendo is almost certainly providing funding for the localization and publishing of VII and VIII. They'd be pissed. VII is not coming to Western smartphones at the same time as its 3DS remake for the same reason, I'm sure.

I like PS4, but portbegging is silly. Be thankful Nintendo is digging into their pockets to bring the remake of VII and the enhanced version of VIII next year. That's what I'm going to do, I will put my money where my mouth is. I haven't played enough Dragon Quest so this is really a good starting point for me. 3DS is king in Japan and we're only really an afterthought.

Also the Steam portbegging after a single port makes even less sense, and the Steam version doing better is bullshit as Kagari said. It sold poorly too, quite possibly worse though that wasn't specified.

KiTA

Oh, DQ X stream, I guess nothing too big?

It's just started. I'll be editing my posts between screaming at the bullshit niconico "pay us you filthy free bastard" popups that keep interrupting it. The sad thing is I'd pay the $4.40 for it but Japanese CC processors cause my bank to have a fraud alert mannerism.

20.6k users. Showing a printout of a character on a floating carpet, either standing or sitting. New mount? Updated mount?

Just jumped up to 25k users and kicked me out again, this time the refresh isn't working.

Edit: 30k viewers. Had to open it in an incognito tab. Showing off a new book of some kind. 'Database" being tossed around -- DQX Strat Guide? Looks really text heavy.

Edit: 33k viewers, thrown out once ... twice... on the incognito tab. I wonder if there's anyone re-broadcasting this over twitch or hitbox or something.

Mentioning Monster Battle Road. Oh crap, if Jin is doing a new Monster Battle Road arcade game... bleh.

Edit: 34k. Not sure if that's viewers or people who have stepped in and left (been thrown out)? Japanese events like these are so different than US ones. They're like talk shows almost. Very weird. Talking about Americans (??) briefly, not sure about that.

KiTA

If you're being kicked out of the official stream you can just watch one of the mirrors instead.

Like http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv246100677

Thank you, switched to that.

Edit: Player/reader letters time. Nothing major being mentioned, and I'm not fluent in Japanese so I'm only picking out a word here or there. Mostly thumb twiddling waiting for some meat and potatoes to show up.

Edit: Here's a Japanese blog post about it, which is also being updated. The thing they announced at the start was "Star Gifts" which will go live right after the show is over. That blog also mentions apparently version 3.2 is going up soon. (Edit: Going up tomorrow, Christmas Eve.)

Edit: New skit? "Beginner Stories?" Oh, they're bringing out newbies to talk about their early experiences in DQX?

Edit: Had to switch to a different one:
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv246419848

New book announced: Genesis of Astorea, a lore book about the game world.

Newbie event is finally over. Some new PC / WiiU edition being released, apparently... one with all the patches / expansions included (so you don't have to patch up from scratch). Basically the Everquest 1 model -- get it back in stores on the new titles shelf.

KiTA

Newbie thing is finally over.

30 minutes till "part 2" if I understand it right.

Edit: They seem to be reviewing old announcements. Specifically they look like megaton ones? Or something? Not sure.

Edit: Don Mole being added in some capacity? Boss fight? Yup. With color coded afros to tell you what his attack patterns are. That's neat. He also summoned the giant fish boss from DQ7 in the middle of the fight?

Edit: Had to switch mirrors a few times. Lots of crying now, not sure what I missed -- they appear to be giving awards away to a few people? Perhaps the people who just fought Don Mole?

Eolz

I've given up on Wii U localization, but it has been announced for PS4, so I still hope to see it in the West

Same for the wii/wiiu part (and even 3DS), but the ps4/nx announcement might give slightly better hopes yeah (along with the pc version).
Doubt we'll hear anything before those are released in Japan though, or even XI in the west.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Same for the wii/wiiu part (and even 3DS), but the ps4/nx announcement might give slightly better hopes yeah (along with the pc version).
Doubt we'll hear anything before those are released in Japan though, or even XI in the west.

...but we got rumors about "all PS4 DQ games being localized", so...I hope so.
Any news from the Niconico event?

KiTA

...but we got rumors about "all PS4 DQ games being localized", so...I hope so.
Any news from the Niconico event?

So far:

Star Presents
3.2 going live on Christmas Eve
I don't follow the game, so I'm not sure, but apparently the "tier 2" crafting mats will now drop? Not sure.
New all in one PC/WiiU physical edtion being released. I guess it comes with some cosmetic items including a magic pogo stick mount.

Edit: Dragon Quest Builders trailer just started.

Edit: And ended. Now a DQM Super Light commercial. And another trailer... Dragon Quest Worlds I think -- nope, an Arcade game, Dragon Quest... something. It's basically the new Monster Battle Road. Wait... is this a mobile game? The aspect ratio of the screen screams mobile, but they definitely showed an arcade cabinet, so... ?

Name is apparently DQ: Monster Battle Scanner.

And there's Dragon Quest Worlds, showing off the upcoming Zoma event.

DQX commercial. God that game looks amazing.

We seem to be in the intermission stage of things I guess?

NotMyPsn

Banned
603.gif

Dragon Quest Pachinko! /s

Honestly, as one of the few people who actually liked Dragon Quest Swords, I kind of hope it's a successor to that in the VR space. It totally won't be, though. :(

You know they are localizing the VII and VIII 3DS, right? >_>
I still don't get why VIII isn't being ported on PS4 smh

KiTA

It's starting... with a song and dance number of a ton of people in santa costumes.

Edit: And a bar skit. Okay?

KiTA

Don't get your hopes up about a DQM game coming to the west anytime soon. The previous ones bombed hard.

I wouldn't say bombed hard. Even by conservative estimates DQMJ2 sold around 90-130k in the US. I know several smaller publishers would have been quite happy to have localized it for them for those kind of sales. And that's not even taking into account the complete lack of marketing, the square enix tax, the lack of the expansion pack that destroyed the online multiplayer... Could it have done better? Yes. Could SE US have done better? Apparently not.

This bar skit is taking freaking forever.

Edit: And the bar skit led into the team drinking beer while sitting at a series of kotatsu. That's kinda neat.

I still don't get why VIII isn't being ported on PS4 smh

Yeah, I hope this is coming eventually I'd buy it immediately.

I wouldn't say bombed hard. Even by conservative estimates DQMJ2 sold around 90-130k in the US. I know several smaller publishers would have been quite happy to have localized it for them for those kind of sales. And that's not even taking into account the complete lack of marketing, the square enix tax, the lack of the expansion pack that destroyed the online multiplayer...

This bar skit is taking freaking forever.

Agreed.

And then taking into account that DQH is a spinoff game and only the first game to hit PS in ages since DQ8 as well. I think they know they have to build the series releases back up here.

KiTA

I think they know they have to build the series releases back up here.

They knew that back in the DS era. They chose not to, leaving that particular ball for Nintendo to pick up. The more cynical members of the fanbase feel they simply have no idea HOW to build up a market anymore, that outside of games that sell themselves they don't know how to do their jobs.

The stream has been a weird hybird of skit discussions with a fake bartender at a fake bar and what I can only call "office party interviews." If there's new information being put out here I don't see it. I think they're just shooting the shit and talking about things that happened this year.

Edit: This stream's a wash, guys. Just a bunch of game devs getting drunk while chatting. Maybe it'll pick up in a bit...

Edit: That... is a BIG bottle of Sake.

Edit: Segment with a group of women, again, office party type stuff.

They knew that back in the DS era. They chose not to, leaving that particular ball for Nintendo to pick up. The more cynical members of the fanbase feel they simply have no idea HOW to build up a market anymore, that outside of games that sell themselves they don't know how to do their jobs.

The stream has been a weird hybird of skit discussions with a fake bartender at a fake bar and what I can only call "office party interviews." If there's new information being put out here I don't see it. I think they're just shooting the shit and talking about things that happened this year.

Edit: This stream's a wash, guys. Just a bunch of game devs getting drunk while chatting. Maybe it'll pick up in a bit...

Edit: That... is a BIG bottle of Sake.

Edit: Segment with a group of women, again, office party type stuff.

Haha its noting in the end then?

KiTA

I'm hoping to god they have something to announce here haha, because if I stayed up to 8 AM for nothing ...

Edit: More drinking. At least they're not poking at some woman's bare belly anymore. They are showing DQX screenshots now, not sure what it is. Screenshots showing monsters or something.

Takao

Banned
The game was revealed hours ago. It's a social experiment to see how long an audience will continue watching game producers getting drunk.

Yeah that's true. It's not like they really try.

Top Bottom