• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Trailer for Amazon Prime Fallout has been released

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Never been a fan of the Fallout games, so can't speak to how much this looks or feels like the games, but I'll certainly give it a shot.

My main concern is how goofy and clunky the power armour looked, given these are the same people making the 40k adaptation :messenger_hushed: CG is probably the better way to go.

killatopak

I’ll admit I try not to watch anything regarding this show. There’s so much discourse about it being woke, not lore accurate, bad makeup, bad weapon designs etc. I feel like it would cloud my judgement once I watch it if I keep reading negative stuff about it.

I’m a big fan of Fallout so I would watch this and judge for myself.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
" 200 years after the apocalypse, the gentle denizens of luxury fallout shelters are forced to return to the irradiated hellscape their ancestors left behind"
I don't think im reading too much into it. The only explanation would be the real reasons why the vaults were built is some kind of end of season revelation but then why put "luxury" fallout shelters not just fallout shelters. The word luxury is totally out of place. Writers put it here knowingly (i mean they knew they wanted to tell us about class privilege and the poor man's struggle, from the top of their smelly hollywood ivory towers, but they seem to know nothing nor care about the game Tim Cain created)
Thanks for gaslighting me anyway ;)

I read the same tag line you did. YOU are reading that as if the shelters are exclusive to the monied based on nothing and utterly ignoring the "working man. . ." line in the trailer or "gentle denizens" (odd way to describe a class of people you're going to be taking a shit on) when discussing the shelters or its inhabitants or the fact that, compared to life on the surface after a nuclear apocalypse, the inside of a self-contained bomb shelter.

. . .like everything doesn't have to be viewed through this tired "anti-woke" lens such that one word meant to convey to newcomers the difference between the Vaults and the Wastelands sends your "Lefty Sense" tingling. My goodness.

ajanke

I enjoyed wheel of time. I don’t know anything about the backstory though. Lord of the rings has been ok too. I always watch them as just an expansion of the universe. So many people want word for word books to movie
I am kinda the same and it helps the enjoyment. For some reason, I enjoyed season 2 of WOT more. However, I get that sometimes we get so little of our favorite content we all want the version we love the most.

For the LOTR I made it through feeling decent but I also thought of it as like a multiverse/Elseworlds story or something. Just a new different version.

Toots

Gold Member
I read the same tag line you did. YOU are reading that as if the shelters are exclusive to the monied based on nothing and utterly ignoring the "working man. . ." line in the trailer or "gentle denizens" (odd way to describe a class of people you're going to be taking a shit on) when discussing the shelters or its inhabitants or the fact that, compared to life on the surface after a nuclear apocalypse, the inside of a self-contained bomb shelter.

. . .like everything doesn't have to be viewed through this tired "anti-woke" lens such that one word meant to convey to newcomers the difference between the Vaults and the Wastelands sends your "Lefty Sense" tingling. My goodness.
Gentle means soft, you might be a pearl clutching « my goodness » saying bourgeois, but you’re not that naive. The world luxury has nothing to do with describing the vaults. Im certainly more of a leftist than you dude i only ever voted for the communists (i did not vote much though since the communists are as crooked as any other politicians in France).
I am tired of people trying to shove their smooth brained ideas and worldviews in my throat everywhere, especially writers in medias I like.
The moral of fallout is war never changes. Because people never change, and they trend to be pretty shitty towards one another for a variety of reasons. And you know what I just proved this once again, since I stupidly though that netflix writer could do something other than low effort performative pseudo political drama with Marvel « humor » and big names to draw you in.
We never change.
(Also you’re dumb)

Merkades

While I don't like Bethesda, or Fallout either, I would like this to be good just because I can then enjoy it in this form.

However, I did watch most of The Wheel Of Time by Robert Jordan, of which I read most of the books 20 odd years ago and have been going back through them this year (on book 9 now). Aside from the names of places, people, things, it may as well be its own thing. They don't act anything like the books describe in very high detail, they flooded it with LBGT and woke aspects (people races changed, some suddenly became lesbian or gay, some suddenly were fucking all the time when people from the Two Rivers were much more prudish).

Even entire chapters in sequence were skipped (everything about Baerlon and Caemlyn, despite two love interests of the MC being on the way). In the last episode I watched, they skewered Uno in what would be early book 2, meanwhile in actual book 9 he is alive and helping some the main characters out. Not to mention one the the MCs became a lesbian and got stilled (cut off from using magic), neither of which happened in the books, at least to 11 which I got to before, technically 3 short of the full series. This is the tip of the iceberg, unfortunately.

Hopefully a better crew is making Fallout.

StueyDuck

Trailer looked promising, but can't deny this is a whole lot less promising

MCU "well that just happened" tier dialogue, looks like a theme park attraction and the BoS are just Iron Man rip offs now

Yep...

Like I said much earlier in the thread, they are going for wacky oh so random humor and that isn't fallout to me, the show itself may be good, 🤷‍♂️ but much like the halo TV show, you need to divorce yourself from the source.

I would of preferred a more mad max approach, something that plays the ridiculous nature of everything happening completely straight and the world and characters play it completely serious, even if what is happening is utterly clownish.

I mean there's a reason we all love the thunderdome, it's not cause the characters all said quirky things and winked at the camera

Also this clip just looks like fanfic cosplay, maybe that's some meta humor the creators are going for, it is westworld people after all

Last edited:

ByWatterson

MCU "well that just happened" tier dialogue, looks like a theme park attraction and the BoS are just Iron Man rip offs now

Jesus CHRIST.

There is almost no linear media worth consuming anymore. Movies and television are dying, both creatively and financially. Games have lapped them both in both categories many times over.

killatopak

I watched the clip. The girl is understandable IF she just got out of the vault and still have their specific brand of crazy with her.

Ghoul is alright I guess. Not much I can glean from that small interaction.

Unsure of the guy wearing a power armor. Not sure I like the iron man changes.

edit: wait, that ghoul should be speaking like he smoked 20 packs of cigs an hour for his whole life.

Last edited:
Wacky and fun - just what you think off when you hear Fallout!

I would have gone more down the Planet of the Apes route - especially in light of the threat of nucleur war on the increase again, but then I suppose everything has to be light and have meta humour these days.

Kacho

It’s even worse than I was expecting. Looks like a damn theme park performance.

SABRE220

Oh lord...that was literally fancosplay trailer levels of cringe...the protaganists line delivery, the cinematography and the worst part was the power armor looks like a guy wearing a tinman costume no weight or gravitas. This looked promising in earlier trailers. Hopefully this was just a terrible trailer...

LordCBH

That was some of the worst dialogue I’ve EVER heard. How do trash writers with no talent keep getting hired?

Trilobit

Oh wow, the main actress is very good-looking.

I have nothing else to add.

ella-purnell-social-media-photos-08-06-2020-12.jpg

Laptop1991

No one will really know until the series is finally out, but if it is poorly made, then they will absolutely know how the fans will feel about it, because we will tell them, I'm still optimistic at the moment.

splattered

I thought the clip looked really good... i grew up watching campy shit on USA, Sci-Fi, HBO, etc etc

Keep in mind this girl grew up sheltered in a vault so her social skills are going to be off, i thought the dialogue was fine

Laptop1991

Good news about season 2, if season 1 turns out to be good of course, i've really liked what they have shown so far, looking forward to the end of the week.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Season 2 already confirmed.

Interesting to hear the budget is the "largest of any of the shows".

Amazon already have expensive, high budget shows in WoT, RoP and the Boys. Not to mention that 40K project isn't going to be made on a shoestring budget.

I wonder if this'll mean either a further price increase, or if they'll cut one of the other expensive shows?

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Yep...

Like I said much earlier in the thread, they are going for wacky oh so random humor and that isn't fallout to me, the show itself may be good, 🤷‍♂️ but much like the halo TV show, you need to divorce yourself from the source.

I would of preferred a more mad max approach, something that plays the ridiculous nature of everything happening completely straight and the world and characters play it completely serious, even if what is happening is utterly clownish.

I mean there's a reason we all love the thunderdome, it's not cause the characters all said quirky things and winked at the camera

Also this clip just looks like fanfic cosplay, maybe that's some meta humor the creators are going for, it is westworld people after all
It's basically mad max with dark humor. That's how the first 2 were and to a lesser extent, the 3rd.

Top Bottom