• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A note about Persona 5 Streaming From Atlus

I just don't get the whole blocking the consoles built-in Share feature even for screenshots.

I wonder if Sony attempted to persuade them at all. Are there any other games out there that block the Share feature?

Arkham Knight did to preserve the big story twist. But that was only right at the end, the rest of the game had no issues.

I just don't get the whole blocking the consoles built-in Share feature even for screenshots.

I wonder if Sony attempted to persuade them at all. Are there any other games out there that block the Share feature?
Both Tales games on ps4, all yakuza's on ps4 except the western version of yakuza 0 from what I immediately remember.

Needlecrash

Fuck off Atlus. Threatening copyright strikes? Content ID claims? FUCK YOU. Don't want the game spoiled? DON'T WATCH THE STREAMS THEN. Some Japanese companies are still living in the past and Atlus is no exception.

I don't remember any of this happening when the game was launched in Japan. Now, they want to clamp down on this bullshit?

karasu

Thi is fucking ridiculous. I kinda hope the game is spoiled to shit now just to ruin their illusion of control.

Thi is fucking ridiculous. I kinda hope the game is spoiled to shit now just to ruin their illusion of control.

I mean, if you look for them, full spoilers for all boss fights and cutscenes are available on youtube from beginning to end. In Japanese, in Japanese with fan-translated English subtitles, and in English.

Of course, how long those last now that Atlus has gone full 'FUCK YOU SOCIAL MEDIA' mode is yet to be seen.

I don't understand what 7/7 is.

There are no story reasons making 7/7 (July 7) special. Game length spoilers
It's approximately 3 months into the playable part of the calendar year. It's not halfway or any meaningful fraction of the way through bosses, dungeons, etc.
Besides that...I have no idea why they picked that date.

filly

Yup this has totally convinced me to the complete opposite. I was not even going to bother streaming before. About to click buy now on the external device for capture.

dan2026

I mean, if you look for them, full spoilers for all boss fights and cutscenes are available on youtube from beginning to end. In Japanese, in Japanese with fan-translated English subtitles, and in English.

Of course, how long those last now that Atlus has gone full 'FUCK YOU SOCIAL MEDIA' mode is yet to be seen.
This.

I can't wrap my head around;

'Take 6 months to localise'
'Being worried about spoilers now'

It just does not compute in my head.
The game has been effectively spoiled for half a year!

Kneefoil

Fuck off Atlus. Threatening copyright strikes? Content ID claims? FUCK YOU. Don't want the game spoiled? DON'T WATCH THE STREAMS THEN. Some Japanese companies are still living in the past and Atlus is no exception.

I don't remember any of this happening when the game was launched in Japan. Now, they want to clamp down on this bullshit?
They aren't doing it because they want to protect people from spoilers. They are doing it because they are afraid that if people watch someone else play through the game and experience the story that way, they might not buy the game themselves because they already know what happens in the story. It is a very story driven game, after all, although I personally wouldn't be interested in the game if it didn't have dungeon crawling mixed in.

They didn't give a rats ass about the Japanese release being showed because so few people understand Japanese compared to English.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
This.

I can't wrap my head around;

'Take 6 months to localise'
'Being worried about spoilers now'

It just does not compute in my head.

It's very similar to region locking P4A, they think they can make their mistakes the customers problem. It didn't work then and it isn't working now. I've never seen a company so comfortable with treating its customers in an outwardly hostile manner

danm999

" we dun wanna spoil you"

"Don't go past 7/7 some MAD SHIT HAPPENS"

Yeah this ain't about spoilers some old fossil at Atlus JP doesn't understand marketing, streaming, the internet, the Streisand Effect, etc etc

dan2026

It's very similar to region locking P4A, they think they can make their mistakes the customers problem. It didn't work then and it isn't working now. I've never seen a company so comfortable with treating its customers in an outwardly hostile manner
From a guy living in Europe I stand by statements I've made in the past that Atlus might be the worst company in the video game business.
They treat their customers like absolute turd.

dlauv

Because games are games and have legal precedent of creative ownership in how they're played, I don't see how Atlus can move forward with purging streamers, even if their games are story-based, without introducing legal documentation to the court systems.

Is it just the idea of filing complaint after claim until the streamer or Youtuber caves in? Does Nintendo do this, or only with tournaments?

In any case, when I stream it I'll be doing it under a different game's name, such as Grand Theft Auto IV or Dead Space.

Man, I really wanted to stream my whole blind play through without commentary. Guess that won't happen since I don't want to risk it. Besides, people thet would REALLY want to go through this can simply flip footage horizontally and raise/lower audio pitch and it would never be detected, or just slap gameplay from other games in the footage as I've heard that works too. This stuff is some people's whole career.

Because games are games and have legal precedent of creative ownership in how they're played, I don't see how Atlus can move forward with purging streamers, even if their games are story-based, without introducing legal documentation to the court systems.

Is it just the idea of filing complaint after claim until the streamer or Youtuber caves in? Does Nintendo do this, or only with tournaments?

In any case, when I stream it I'll be doing it under a different game's name, such as Grand Theft Auto IV or Dead Space.

I've streamed Nintendo footage on YouTube before and the archived footage wasn't taken down, they just muted the audio. I'm not part of the Nintendo thingimajig video club either.

They'll just try to find workarounds for things like the "don't post videos after this in-game date" bit.

U06fXfc.gif

holy heck lol

Anybody post this from Devolver Digital yet?

loldevolveratr84.png

Wink

I really can't imagine it has much to do with the fear of spoilers, but if there's some truth to that then I do blame the ferociousness with which people react to spoilers nowadays. It is silly.
Beyond that it's outdated reasoning that will hurt this game more than it could help and for what it's worth, as a customer, I've let Atlus know how my wallet feels about that for future releases.

I doubt they'll be striking people down with this. The final boss in it's entirety has been on YouTube for 3 months along with all the major boss fights. On top of that with the Western release everyone's posting videos of the same stuff so they're gonna have their work cut out for them if they want to go scorched earth and strike them all down.

I think they're simply giving lip service. Square-Enix has done the same with it having messages of "Streaming Restrictions" that had people thinking they couldn't make content of their games but in the end nothing came of it. If it's not lip service then they've already failed massively at it.

In the end I don't believe they care about spoilers for even a second. If they did then Persona 5 would have been released same day worldwide.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The Spider-Man Homecoming trailer is a perfect example of why spoilers "can" suck. It showed off all the expectations a fan would want to witness while sitting inside a theater. Sure there are scenes with dialogue, but the content is all there in that trailer to predict what exactly happens throughout the film.

With games it's a lot like jealousy. I don't want to necessarily spend $60 if I'm watching some footage online and I lose the enjoyment of progress. I don't mind controlled footage where someone gets an idea without worrying that they'll give something away that takes hours to get to.

It's about the journey. I'm paying $10 for a movie ticket and I feel like we can control movies better.

Then you have different types of gamers. Those who don't care about the story and others who do. Some want to see the last boss in Dark Souls before they even see their first bonfire. I'd rather this be like Catherine. It was a pure enjoyment from start to finish. It felt like a journey that wanted my attention. It wasn't thrown at my face with knowing what goes on 10-15 hours in.

I'm use to controlled footage. This isn't new if you ask me. Game magazines had some screenshots, but nothing compared to today's online variety.

MrS

Banned
I guess P5 is gonna be my first and last Atlus game. I can't support their stance here and I wouldn't like to see this kinda situation become 'the norm'.

IronLich

In the end I don't believe they care about spoilers for even a second. If they did then Persona 5 would have been released same day worldwide.

Sadly, worldwide release is out of the question for a smaller publisher like Atlus. And Japan is their big bottom line, financially, so Japan would have gotten Persona 5 first regardless. A shame that the localization qualms made the delay longer.

npm0925

I'm sure playthroughs do harm the sales of narrative-centric minimal-gameplay titles such as Zero Escape or Firewatch (I say this because I watched playthroughs of these titles rather than buying them). I can't blame a publisher for imposing such restrictions in similar cases.

And Atlus just spoiled that something major happens at 7/7. The fuck?

No it's alright ..

You'll be fine , the crazy train is not fixed to a single date , and if it is , it's not that one.

I doubt they'll be striking people down with this. The final boss in it's entirety has been on YouTube for 3 months along with all the major boss fights. On top of that with the Western release everyone's posting videos of the same stuff so they're gonna have their work cut out for them if they want to go scorched earth and strike them all down.

I think they're simply giving lip service. Square-Enix has done the same with it having messages of "Streaming Restrictions" that had people thinking they couldn't make content of their games but in the end nothing came of it. If it's not lip service then they've already failed massively at it.

Trust me , they are... Most channel with vids managed to get vids thanks to tricks , the smallers ones like mine definitly got strikes.

I'm sure playthroughs do harm the sales of narrative-centric minimal-gameplay titles such as Zero Escape or Firewatch (I say this because I watched playthroughs of these titles rather than buying them). I can't blame a publisher for imposing such restrictions in similar cases.

I am very skeptical of that claim.

Admittedly I'm less familiar with Zero Escape and Firewatch, but I doubt Life is Strange or Hatoful Boyfriend would have done anyway near as well as they did if they weren't streamed and let's played by basically everyone on earth

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Skimming a few Youtube vids and comments, some folks are claiming some vids are already getting hit by strikes. Big grain of salt of course, given its Youtube comments.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I am very skeptical of that claim.

Admittedly I'm less familiar with Zero Escape and Firewatch, but I doubt Life is Strange or Hatoful Boyfriend would have done anyway near as well as they did if they weren't streamed and let's played by basically everyone on earth

Exactly, I only bought Life is Strange and Oxenfree because I watched streams of them.

Of course, I couldn't remember the name Oxenfree and had to google "scary game teenagers talking" but they still got my money.

Atlus saved my ass. I was going to settle in for a solid week of watching Persona 5 streams. How would I have known that streams of people playing the game would contain spoilers? My experience would have been ruined. Atlus is really looking out for me.

I'm loving Persona 5 to bits right now but I'm sorry, wtf is this?

Seriously the game is once in a lifetime great enough that it can stand on its own two feet without any of this BS. The gameplay experience is sublime with an amazing story on top. Not the mention the game just looks eye-searingly good. Let people share and show that amazing experience to as many others as possible.

Seriously Atlus, don't bring bad press on to this masterpiece for no apparent reason. If people don't want spoilers then they won't be watching videos. I'm sure there will be many players who would benefit from boss fight strategy videos on merciless difficulty (Elizabeth comes to mind for me) and various completion/trophy guide videos.

nOoblet16

I guess Atlus will not ban Wikipedia as well. You have to love the audacity of them casually threatening their customers while talking about how excited they are for people to play their 6 months old game.

If someone is spoiling themselves by watching streams then that's on them, not the streamers and you can't police around like this. They seem like they are still stuck in the past.

LeleSocho

Banned
Thank god someone reminded me i can actually refund this purchase, the one time i decide to buy a game through amazon... i'm lucky as hell.

Ken

I streamed the full JP game on Twitch and didn't get any strikes, though I don't think I ever had viewers lol.

Top Bottom