• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A note about Persona 5 Streaming From Atlus

Link1110

I was down for take your heart edition as soon as I got paid later today, bit now I'm wondering if I should just give atlus a screw you and buy used later. Not like there aren't a billion other games this month...

Protip: maybe the best month for gaming in years want a good time carry out this plan

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I was down for take your heart edition as soon as I got paid later today, bit now I'm wondering if I should just give atlus a screw you and buy used later. Not like there aren't a billion other games this month...

Protip: maybe the best month for gaming in years want a good time carry out this plan

If it's a big issue to you do it. I did the same for Persona 4 Arena and region locking.
As for me this streaming thing + other stuff like the translation I'm reconsidering to double dip.

Atlus can go to hell with this pure ass backwards way of handling streaming, just what is wrong with Japan when it comes to this stuff? Is there anything at all we can do in the US to fight this?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Mannnn, and the game is incredible and highly addicting too. It's bewildering that they would deliberately spoil the good reputation the game has with this ass-backwards policies :/

Zolo

Atlus can go to hell with this pure ass backwards way of handling streaming, just what is wrong with Japan when it comes to this stuff? Is there anything at all we can do in the US to fight this?

I guess you could contact Sega and link to negative articles about the game?

Velcro Fly

Person who I was watching stream said on twitter earlier he refunded his copy of Persona 5.

Dude has played like every SMT game on stream I can think of too.

I don't think he finished SMT4 Apocalypse either =/

graywolf323

while I don't care so much about streaming it's getting really annoying to have the "screenshot is disabled" message pop up every time I earn a trophy...

I can't think of any other game I've played at least that did that

edit: also while I've loved the Persona series going back to Persona 2 on PS1 this seems to overlook the fact one of the reasons it's gotten as big as it has is due to Giant Bomb having done their endurance run

Crayolan

They'll just try to find workarounds for things like the "don't post videos after this in-game date" bit.

U06fXfc.gif

lol amazing

TP

Don't buy the game and send emails to official emails/social media explaining why you're not buying it. Keep discussing the issue and explaining to others why it's a problem and ask them to contact Atlus and hold off on their purchase too.

Hey, it worked for P4 Arenas region lock right?

Not until Ultimax but it still released region free

Host it in your own site and wait for the C&Ds. The only reason why atlus can do this is because youtube and twitch are spinless and will bend to their will.

TP

Host it in your own site and wait for the C&Ds. The only reason why atlus can do this is because youtube and twitch are spinless and will bend to their will.

Well they have to believe players will just put up with it and buy the game regardless. Even if they end up allow streaming and youtube videos the share functions might still stay disabled. Got to let them know now that you won't pay for a game with those features disabled.

Or else they'll just keep doing it

I'm pretty annoyed by the stupid rules on everything including screenshots. I've been occasionally taking pictures with my phone but they come out way fuzzier and crappier looking than they would directly. Hopefully if they get pushback they'll change it, or at least drop the limitations for future games.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
IMO the streaming thing is whatever but no videos allowed makes no sense. How are people going to get spoiled by watching a video they presumably sought out and presumably has a title indicating what they are about to watch?

Zolo

IMO the streaming thing is whatever but no videos allowed makes no sense. How are people going to get spoiled by watching a video they presumably sought out and presumably has a title indicating what they are about to watch?

*Type in Persona 5 on youtube*

*The first or second video is a spoiler with spoilerish title and thumbnail*

They're really shooting themselves in the foot with this. I would think streaming and youtube would be great exposure for the game.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
*Type in Persona 5 on youtube*

*The first or second video is a spoiler with spoilerish title and thumbnail*

First, there is an obvious limit to what a single youtube thumbnail can spoil. Maybe not for neogaf, but whatever. Second, no matter the content of the video, you can have the thumbnail be whatever you want. I can have a thumbnail of the protagonist of a game shown dead and have the video be the title screen for 10 minutes. Lastly, title is the same as previous. "PROTAG DIES ON 7/8!!" with the content being unrelated.

These fringe attempted forced spoiler cases don't really justify not allowing videos when the vast majority will be "Persona 5 play through part n, day 7/20"

I really feel sorry for streamers like FinestKO's Coopa who was planning to do a big event over Persona 5, he even stayed up late at night alot to do prep work for the planned stream. All for Atlus to just give all of us a massive middle finger.

Neptonic

THE SUPER BEST FRIENDS CANCELED THEIR LP
FUCK ATLUS
Nobody takes my SBF content away from me. Nobody.

Like the only reason I liked persona in the first place was Giant Bomb's Endurance Run. Without that I would have never given this series a chance.

I mean, it'd still be shitty, but I'd at least have a modicum of respect for Atlus if they'd just be honest about what this is really about.

It's not about spoilers. The game's been out for over half a year in its heretofore largest market.

So the answer is rather simple. The benevolent overlords in Japan are worried that a significant cohort of potential buyers will bypass purchasing the game and instead just watch this single player, single playthrough, story heavy game for free on YouTube.

But I wish they'd just say that.

FSLink

Banned
I mean, it'd still be shitty, but I'd at least have a modicum of respect for Atlus if they'd just be honest about what this is really about.

It's not about spoilers. The game's been out for over half a year in its heretofore largest market.

So the answer is rather simple. The benevolent overlords in Japan are worried that a significant cohort of potential buyers will bypass purchasing the game and instead just watch this single player, single playthrough, story heavy game for free on YouTube.

But I wish they'd just say that.

Seriously. Nobody paying attention is buying the spoilers excuse BS.

A really bad look for Atlus in every way.

Lot of people on other places online think this is to hide the extremely literal translations.

munchie64

Man, fuck this. I'm not buying this game until they reverse this shit. (I realise that may technically be never.)

Edit: Gonna watch as many streams as I can though.

FluxWaveZ

Lot of people on other places online think this is to hide the extremely literal translations.

This is clearly Atlus Japan's choice, and Atlus USA explicitly states it. They wouldn't care about that, and similar limitations were placed on the game's Japanese release.

Ritzboof

isnt there someone along the line that can say abusing content ID like this is against youtubes policies? let alone that this shit is against the law in the USA? i dont understand how professionals casually announce something like this

ubiblu

Man, fuck this. I'm not buying this game until they reverse this shit. (I realise that may technically be never.)

Edit: Gonna watch as many streams as I can though.

You are an entitled, petulant child. Since when did watching people play video games become the greater form of entertainment than playing it for yourself?

They're really shooting themselves in the foot with this. I would think streaming and youtube would be great exposure for the game.

If you need to watch someone play a video game for 10 hours because the trailers don't do it for you, you probably aren't the target demographic of the game.

Aeana

...They had this same policy for the Japanese version, they just didn't deal with primarily English sites at the time.

Not everything is a conspiracy. Sometimes things really are what they seem: a Japanese company with control issues, out of touch with the way the rest of the world consumes and talks about media.

ubiblu

Sometimes things really are what they seem: a Japanese company with control issues, out of touch with the way the rest of the world consumes and talks about media.

I can't substantiate this claim, but I believe that many use LPs as an excuse not to support the developers. Personally, the concept of watching someone play a video game and interject with giggles and talking bullshit is not a legitimate form of entertainment, but to each their own.

I'd be curious to see what general sentiment would have been like had Atlus advised upfront that there was a temporary ban on streaming. Though at this stage with the incessant whining from GAFers and the like, they may just have to change their position.

FSLink

Banned
I'd be curious to see what general sentiment would have been like had Atlus advised upfront that there was a temporary ban on streaming. Though at this stage with the incessant whining from GAFers and the like, they may just have to change their position.

A temporary ban would have been okay, but since it had the same stream ban on the Japanese release and 6 months later it still hasn't been lifted....

It's definitely just them trying to over control their IP over anything.

kiaaa

I can't substantiate this claim, but I believe that many use LPs as an excuse not to support the developers. Personally, the concept of watching someone play a video game and interject with giggles and talking bullshit is not a legitimate form of entertainment, but to each their own.

Since we're talking unsubstantiated claims, many people (including myself) have bought games that they previously watched in LPs. There's no real evidence one way or the other so using this to defend Atlus JP is just being disingenuous.

KyleCross

I know I'm going to get a lot of shit for this but; I support this choice. You shouldn't be able to capture/stream a story centric game just like you can't a movie. Multiplayer and other aspects of a game that does not have a strong story element should be streamed without limits, but the story shouldn't be.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I know I'm going to get a lot of shit for this but; I support this choice. You shouldn't be able to capture/stream a story centric game just like you can't a movie. Multiplayer and other aspects of a game that does not have a strong story element should be streamed without limits, but the story shouldn't be.

I'd be inclined to support it if there were statistics showing that videos / streams of a game like Persona negatively impacted sales. Anecdotally though, it seems to have the opposite effect.

I would agree with this, but most Let's Plays I watch are of games I've already played. I like seeing what other people's reaction to playing a game for the first time is like, especially if my playthrough was sullied by me spoiling myself (which happens quite a bit, though it's usually via text and not video, so no, blocking videos won't help me.)

So for me, it would pretty much remove the only reason I interact with the LP community.

tuxfool

Banned
Great.

So this doesn't stop the Giantbombs of the world from streaming it but prevents the little guys from doing the same?

Not to mention that there are no stats showing whether people watching LPs are doing so in lieu of playing the game. Most other publishers have cottoned onto this idea, it is only some Japanese publishers that act backward.

Ritzboof

this is pretty wacky. movies and video games are two immensely different things; different entertainment industries with different standards and rules. even not considering that, though, theres a massive difference between reselling a movie in its entirety and playing a game to entertain people or experience it with them. even if you arent commentating, the fact that you give a considerable amount of input makes your content a unique work

on the ethical side of things, i dont see how it would be morally wrong to do this sort of thing. no one is forcing you to watch these streams and videos, and on the other hand, a lot of people are very eager to play and watch these games. some people, if you could believe it, couldnt care less about spoilers and will watch the game be played by someone else even if they wanna play it themselves

All evidence suggests this is not the case and instead, if anything, people use content such as Let's Plays to help them decide which games to buy and play and to try out games they might not have otherwise. For instance, PewDiePie once made some videos of Skate 3 and then this happened:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/how-pewdiepie-fired-skate-3-back-into-the-charts/0137447

And of course, lots of people in here have mentioned Giant Bomb's Endurance Run of Persona 4, attributing it as the reason they got into the Persona series at all.

So yeah, considering that there is no actual evidence of Let's Plays/Twitch hurting games and both direct and indirect evidence of it benefiting them, I can't agree.

I am very doubtful of that claim. We've seen multiple story intensive games that have commercially benefitted from a robust streaming/LP presence.

Life is Strange and Hatoful Boyfriend both did incredibly well, and seemed to benefit from being widely covered by streamers and LP'ers

Top Bottom