• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A note about Persona 5 Streaming From Atlus

Shinjica

They dont five a duck about people get spoiler.

They dont want to let people watch the complete game so they have to buy it

Eusis

They dont five a duck about people get spoiler.

They dont want to let people watch the complete game so they have to buy it
They ignore that this can have a seemingly contradictory effect in getting people to buy the game.

Nevermind that some people really do just want to follow the story but can't play games for shit even if it's on the easiest difficulties, so they're just cut out entirely instead.

I mean, this game is fucking great, but part of me wishes I hadn't bought it now, because this kind of bullshit behavior should not be tolerated or accepted on any level.

Streaming is part of gaming now. Deal with it.

Eusis

I wonder if any amount of backlash will make them change their policy.

Probably not.
It's probably a larger cultural change that needs to happen.

And don't forget they were bought by Sega. The same Sega that thought it'd be a great idea to go trying to remove all old Shining Force videos from Youtube to not take away from their newest game. They can be control freaks in the stupidest of fucking ways.

ironmang

Your loss. Considering that the game isn't a sprawling open world with a bunch of camera angles you can tap into, I'm not understanding what the big deal is. Use your phone and the Imgur app.

The big deal is their attitude makes me not want to give them my money. I have no attachment to the series other than the hype I see here so I'll be just fine waiting to play it if ever.

hemo memo

Gold Member
holy heck lol

Anybody post this from Devolver Digital yet?

loldevolveratr84.png

Yeah just saw this on twitter.

Do Japanese companies really believe LPs and streams hurt sales, despite all evidence to the contrary, or is there something I'm not seeing?

Even these execs usually aren't actually dumb enough to think this costs them money. This sort of thing is 100% about people with a compulsive need for control being enabled by a corporate structure that keeps logical analysis far away from the decision-making process.

Where is the contrary evidence? I was atually curious if there was any. And I don't mean neogaf posts saying they bought it because of giant bomb.

I suspect people will look a little askance at an internal Twitch study, but: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/twitch-study-claims-link-between-game-streaming-and-sales/

The only people who have ever even tried to make a serious case that LPs and streams were a net negative for their revenue are people who make games that are short, almost entirely story-driven, don't benefit notably from playing them yourself, and don't provide any other secondary value for purchase. That definitely leaves something like That Dragon, Cancer in an awkward spot but it's a minuscule part of the landscape (and doesn't apply to Persona even a little bit.)

Eumi

I wonder if any amount of backlash will make them change their policy.

Probably not.
The thing is even if they reverse their decision in like a month they'll have still got their way. Most big channels and streamers will have already moved on.

Its incredibly dickish of them especially to have left this announcement so late.

I sincerely hope that either Atlus JP stops being petty (imo) and allows streaming, or they at least get the message loud and clear and say...something! Anything!

EDIT: I stand corrected, apparently it's an order from AtlusJP.

Why is everyone blaming AtlusJP? The game has been out for them for 7 months and I bet videos about it are out for their version.

Blame Atlus America for this, they are the one issuing the warning and getting ready to close channels.

Or just blame Atlus as a company... Defending a certain branch and accusing another over speculations is laughable.

Why is everyone blaming AtlusJP? The game has been out for them for 7 months and I bet videos about it are out for their version.

Blame Atlus America for this, they are the one issuing the warning and getting ready to close channels.

Or just blame Atlus as a company... Defending a certain branch and accusing another over speculations is laughable.

The blog post directly says it was an order from Atlus Japan.

kotodama

On the PS4, The Japanese version of P5 was totally video blocked after the title screen. I was hoping after the American release that they'd patch that crap out, but it looks like they'll continue that bullshit. The videos that are out were most likely taken with a capture device, which is sad because the PS4 already has that feature built in.

Why is everyone blaming AtlusJP?

The blog post even throws Atlus Japan under the bus and it was written by someone whose job it is to run defense on this kind of dumbass move.

Also, no American company has ever even flirted with doing something like this because the people working at every American game publisher have actually heard of Twitch before.

That makes Atlus USA complicit then, supposing that they know better and did nothing anyway.

....how do you think the corporate structure here works exactly

AJ_Wings

Yeah, AtlusJP can go fuck themselves. You're amazing game developers but holy shit is this a self defeating move & just utterly moronic.

Ill echo a lot of the same people that got into the series because of GB's endurance run.

Disappointed by this, but I'm not surprised that if any company would have tried to pull this, it would have been Atlus. I love their games, but their business sense moves at the same snails pace as their game development. The only way they could get any more draconian is if they started breathing fire.

This could have been the excuse I needed to hold off on buying Persona 5 and wait out for later portable version, but I already bit the bullet.

I'm not sure why they picked a random date like 7/7 either. They're just giving people the wrong impressions by making that the cut-off point.

Just.. why can't Sony do anything about this?

Why can't they not allow this kind of behavior from anyone who's using their platform?

It's a button on your damned official controller and we, the customers, aren't allowed to use it.

Lots of Japanese games are blocking share functions and it's getting tiring.

That makes Atlus USA complicit then, supposing that they know better and did nothing anyway.

That's not how big corporations work.

Anyone who works in that kind of environment can tell you stories of the times we had to do dumb fucking shit because the relevant decision maker was too stubborn to listen to advice.

pariah164

Ahahaha this is some next-level bullshit.

I hope and pray loads of people stream the game, as many as possible, just to piss 'em off.

I don't stream, but I support streamers. Think I'll speak with my wallet and not buy ATLUS games for a while.

Sephend

again I ask: do you have even a vague concept of how this corporate structure works that would make your critique here make sense

What sense is there to make? I said that they were complicit. I don't expect any particular person to throw down the moral gauntlet and more than likely be completely ignored or never even heard by corporate (This probably did occur, but I don't work at Atlus USA) or at worst fired and forgotten about. I probably wouldn't either in that situation. On the other hand, nor do I expect to have to wait until a bunch of old suits keel over before things change either.

I'd argue the scared victim of a crime refusing to testify publicly against the one commiting it is complicit in the same way. I'm not calling them a criminal themself though.

This all stemmed from someone saying to please don't blame Atlus USA, it's all JP's fault. I'm 100% in agreement that this stems from the JP side. But that doesn't mean USA is absolved of what the parent company does is all I'm saying.

mieumieu

Just.. why can't Sony do anything about this?

Why can't they not allow this kind of behavior from anyone who's using their platform?

It's a button on your damned official controller and we, the customers, aren't allowed to use it.

Lots of Japanese games are blocking share functions and it's getting tiring.

I thought Sony wont allow whole game to be blocked and will fail cert. But apparently I am wrong (or Atlus talked with them for a one time exception?)

What sense is there to make? I said that they were complicit. I don't expect any particular person to throw down the moral gauntlet and more than likely be completely ignored or never even heard by corporate (This probably did occur, but I don't work at Atlus USA) or at worst fired and forgotten about. I probably wouldn't either in that situation. On the other hand, nor do I expect to have to wait until a bunch of old suits keel over before things change either.

I'd argue the scared victim of a crime refusing to testify publicly against the one commiting it is complicit in the same way. I'm not calling them a criminal themself though.

This all stemmed from someone saying to please don't blame Atlus USA, it's all JP's fault. I'm 100% in agreement that this stems from the JP side. But that doesn't mean USA is absolved of what the parent company does is all I'm saying.

That's like... not how companies work...

I thought Sony wont allow whole game to be blocked and will fail cert. But apparently I am wrong (or Atlus talked with them for a one time exception?)

There are lots of exceptions then, as Persona 5 is not the first.

Just how much money these Japanese pubs gave Sony so their games can be blocked? Ridiculous.

convo

Then those people at Atlus USA would get fired and more obedient dogs would run that place instead. The headquarters have all the sway they want and have not given a shit since backlash from overseas can not reach them even if someone tried to shoot a letter of complaint with an arrow through their office. Atlus USA have tried resolving copyright strikes from the JP side but the threats this time are even bigger from higher up.

That a bunch of old corpses still run a majority of japanese game companies is a shame and annoyance to me too. We have this with Nindendo,Konami certain other Jrpg releases and yet still with Atlus games from time to time. Atlus USA can not conjure up some magic power to combat that right now. Sega would need to step in and break their rule to get in the way of how Atlus JP operates and who knows what that would take.

bryt

damn, why'd I read this. I just got spoiled that something will happen on 7/7. Atlus trying to avoid having people being spoiled yet spoiling people in the warning smh.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
damn, why'd I read this. I just got spoiled that something will happen on 7/7. Atlus trying to avoid having people being spoiled yet spoiling people in the warning smh.

lmao

Zedark

These legislations are absolutely draconian, this damages community debate around the game imo. I tweeted this to @AtlusUSA too, would encourage everyone else to do the same
(no cursing and name-calling of course, don't be that twitter user)

Mendrox

Ehh so useless. There are whole playthroughs on Youtube since months. Every boss, every secret etc. is on Youtube and many videos already in English since days. Keep trying Atlus.

Top Bottom