• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or this

[*]we hope there are procedurally generated cities, but we don't know yet. I think it would be a hole in the lore if there weren't.
In an old interview he was cagey on this. He said when he hears that question he thinks people expect the big huge cities in the newer star wars movies (episodes 1-3) but he says they're going for the older scifi aesthetic and wanted something more like Mos Eisley from the original Star Wars. So I think there will be cities, but like smaller space port type of cities.

BizzyBum

This is just my opinion, but I would love to know that there were planets out there with no life. Every planet having creatures and outposts/settlements/etc. really shouldn't be a thing, even if it does make the game more "exciting".

I was just on a dead planet with no life whatsoever.

Inviusx

I think its funny how they talk about procedurally generated wildlife yet Ive seen the same 4 basic animal types in every single trailer they've released.

Oh theres the 4 legged dinosaur thing, theres the little 2 legged badger thing, theres the weird deer looking thing.

Worse yet they had a trailer a few months ago where the guy was on a planet that was like -160 degrees c and there was a goofy dinosaur thing walking around.

I just honestly dont share anyones enthusiasm over this game.

Could not care less about this game. Its all smoke and mirrors and now it just seems people will have to wait longer to find that out.

I've enjoyed going back and reading my posts from a few months ago where I got endlessly flamed for calling Hello Games out on their bullshit. My Molyneux has always been off the charts.

Ive quoted a few of my comments from a few months back that I got slammed for.

I found another player's discovery on PC within about two hours of playtime. If it was that easy for me when there are only 200k people playing, I can't believe they really thought it would take a long time for collision to occur... seems fishy.

j-wood

My guess is they had multiplayer in, but took it out due to server issues or bugs, and Sony wouldn't let them delay any more.

Russ T

Banned
I've enjoyed going back and reading my posts from a few months ago where I got endlessly flamed for calling Hello Games out on their bullshit. My Molyneux has always been off the charts.

Ive quoted a few of my comments from a few months back that I got slammed for.

"Internet poster was right all along when they said they didn't like Thing! News at 11."

What an absolutely bizarre thing to brag about.

One of my friends managed to extract the game files already on PC. No file or folder references to MP at all. There is seemingly only one player model inside the characters folder as well plainly called "player" (at least for the body). There is quite a bit of fascinating random stuff in there though, like a Half Life 2 logo (wut), old prototyping stuff they did on PS3/360 and Orbis (PS4 codename) and assets for the E3 2015 demo. It also has a nice array of animal body parts in there confirming that real life animals such as cows, cats and buffalos were used to generate the procedural alien ones.

Will update more on this with pics if I can.

Inviusx

One of my friends managed to extract the game files already on PC. No file or folder references to MP at all. There is seemingly only one player model inside the characters folder as well plainly called "player" (at least for the body). There is quite a bit of fascinating random stuff in there though, like a Half Life 2 logo (wut), old prototyping stuff they did on PS3/360 and Orbis (PS4 codename) and assets for the E3 2015 demo. It also has a nice array of animal body parts in there confirming that real life animals such as cows, cats and buffalos were used to generate the procedural alien ones.

Thats really cool, would love pics.

Would also like confirmation on if the worm/snake was removed from the game as well so it can be added to the list.

That is what's at the centre of the "universe".

Caayn

He's so wrong. Hello Games never showed trailers or commercials with multiplayer! So it's totally fine.
Alright, 2 questions,

1: Which one of ya'll mofos put that together? Bravo.

2: What game was that he was playing? I flipping love Garfield and it seems like that would be perfect for my son.
Looks like Garfield Kart.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/362930/
This is the most damning thing about it. They have destroyed their studio brand in 1 week.
nomansskyyiuvq.png

Maybe I've stolen that from the video posted above or maybe I didn't.

My 6 year old son stumbled into the living room, sleep in his eyes, holding his teddy bear, wearing his spaceship pajamas.

"Daddy? I had a bad dream."

I pause No Man's Sky and kneel down in front of him.

"What happened?"

"A bad man kept me from seeing my friends."

"Im sorry, champ. It's going to be ok. Do you know the man? Did he have a name? Was he barefoot or anything?"

"I didn't know him. He stayed in the shadows. All I could see was his shit-eating grin through his beard."

I shiver. Is Sean Freddy-Kruegering my son instead of answering tweets?

"Ok, well,... did he lie to you? Steal money from you? Avoid answering questions about whether or not you could see your friends again?"

"Huh? No... What?"

"I'm sorry, buddy. Let's just say I know what you're going through."

I take my son back to his bed and tell him the nightmare is over for at least one of us.

My 6 year old son stumbled into the living room, sleep in his eyes, holding his teddy bear, wearing his spaceship pajamas.

"What happened?"

"Im sorry, champ. It's going to be ok. Do you know the man? Did he have a name? Was he barefoot or anything?"

"I didn't know him. He stayed in the shadows. All I could see was his shit-eating grin through his beard."

"Ok, well,... did he lie to you? Steal money from you? Avoid answering questions about whether or not you could see your friends again?"

"Huh? No... What?"

I take my son back to his bed and tell him the nightmare is over for at least one of us.
You should have your own blog.

"What happened?"

"Huh? No... What?"

How far will this evolve before Sean addresses the controversy?

For example the No1 (and negative) steam review mentions the missing multiplayer.

krioto

"What happened?"

"Huh? No... What?"

My condolences to your child - there's not much worse than a drama queen for a dad

Darkwater

I just woke up. Any news? There was a user on PC who was gonna capture the packets sent to the servers and see what was in them, right? Did he follow through? Any word from Sean?

How far will this evolve before Sean addresses the controversy?

For example the No1 (negative) steam review mentions the missing multiplayer.

Huh? what controversy? The PC/PS4 launch has gone swimmingly, I mean look at how the community is pulling together to fix *cough* I mean help each other play. Have you seen the steam peak player numbers and the PSN active users? There are so many of them our accou- *cough* servers are overloaded! Exac- *cough* More than we could have predicted. It's kinda blowing my mind right now...

98NNKjq.png

I am conflicted on whether or not that pic is too much of a low blow so before I go to bed I am going to spoiler it. It really is all I can picture atm though. Also, I truly hate feeling like I'm being mean to someone but man, from my experience working with my local community it is sometimes necessary in situations like this when you are trying to be acknowledged because you are being ignored. Especially considering the ethics of the situation. I swear to the Lord Almighty I will stop these shenanigans as soon as they give a clear and concise response to this issue and will try my hardest to guide others to do so as well.

Huh? what controversy? The PC/PS4 launch has gone swimmingly, I mean look at how the community is pulling together to fix *cough* I mean help each other play. Have you seen the steam peak player numbers and the PSN active users? There are so many of them our accou- *cough* servers are overloaded! Exac- *cough* More than we could have predicted. It's kinda blowing my mind right now...

98NNKjq.png

Fucking hell that picture.

bj00rn_

Banned
Also is there no room for features failing to materialize from a team of less than 10 people? I don't seem the need to crucify Sean and his team for anything.

That is the absolute fucking worst argument there is..

There are just as good human beings working at every single developer, including big AAA studios. There's nothing special abput hello games in this regard.

No one deserves a blanket shielding from backlash over promises not met and with no explanation for why they was not met.

If HG needed shielding they could've stopped the public pr hype campaign, turn down the techno babble speak, go the early access route and disclose everything happening during development - including stuff they wasn't able to deliver.

Klyka

Banned
If I have to read that it's a fucking team of 5-15 people again,I swear i'm gonna fucking blow up.

SIXTY

FUCKING

DOLLARS

For a game that looks and runs like an early access game and has the same god damn content repeated over and over and over.

If you go into the No Man's Sky photo thread you can literally see people posting the same kind of planet with the same plants and the sameish animals but in different colors (sometimes not even) and the same style over and over and over.

Everyone basically sees the same planets in a different order.

SIXTY

FUCKING

NO MAN'S

DOLLARS

If I have to read that it's a fucking team of 5-15 people again,I swear i'm gonna fucking blow up.

SIXTY

FUCKING

DOLLARS

For a game that looks and runs like an early access game and has the same god damn content repeated over and over and over.

If you go into the No Man's Sky photo thread you can literally see people posting the same kind of planet with the same plants and the sameish animals but in different colors (sometimes not even) and the same style over and over and over.

SIXTY

FUCKING

NO MAN'S

DOLLARS
Klyka
Truly grasps the size of our universe
(Today, 02:28 AM)

Trace

Banned

SIXTY

FUCKING

DOLLARS

SIXTY

FUCKING

NO MAN'S

DOLLARS

I agree.

Asgaro

SIXTY

FUCKING

DOLLARS

SIXTY

FUCKING

NO MAN'S

DOLLARS

P7Zl6VX.gif

watershed

Banned
It seems like every page or every 5 posts the issue gets confused.

The issue isn't that NMS is a bad game.

The issue isn't that the developers dreamed too big and couldn't deliver on every aspect of their vision.

The issue isn't that Sean seems like a nice guy who's passionate about making games.

The issue isn't that NMS was never billed as a multiplayer game.

The issue isn't people trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

The issue is simply that Sean, on multiple occasions suggested, said, and replied to questions to the effect that people could play together and meet each other and want to experience stuff together in the game. Since launch, it seems like this is not possible despite Sean saying, multiple times, that it is. And Sean has yet to clarify.

Personally, I would appreciate developers not lie to consumers. And if multiplayer or meeting other players is possible, all Sean has to do is say, "yes it's possible, keep playing and find out how." But even that hasn't happened.

Froli

SIXTY

FUCKING

DOLLARS

SIXTY

FUCKING

NO MAN'S

DOLLARS

The thing that broke the camel's back for me is the game ending. That's when I started thinking we should compile all the overpromises/outlandish tales the creators has stated for future reference.

nomis

If this had been 20USD instead of 60, I might not have asked for a steam refund within 10 minutes for fear of giving it too much of a chance and blowing my shot to get my goddamn money back on the most mindless fetch quest I've ever undertaken

This has been proven now by datamining or no?

From what i remember a gaffer bought the game on steam and pretty much arrived at the same conclusions as the ps4 version. No player movement data is transmitted from what i can remember. Ill find the exact quote and update this post just give me 5 min.

Edit:

Here's some tech details, if anybody is interested:

Traffic goes via an Azure CloudApp (yes, they're hosting a Sony thing on Microsoft Azure).

Address: 40.84.59.174
Aliases: pc-nms-auth.nomanssky.com
prodpc-nmso-auth.azurewebsites.net
waws-prod-bn1-011.vip.azurewebsites.windows.net

(nomanssky.com was registered by Sean in 2013).,

Traffic is over SSL, if you want to intercept you need to MitM it using CA forgery.

They track all users who start the game (which isn't bad). Periodically they shoot your Discoveries up in the background in batch transfers. There's a profanity filter on naming, haha. I've seen no player movement traffic at all either from me or other players on either platform. Very very little traffic is passed, you can go long periods with nothing happening network wise.

SIXTY

FUCKING

DOLLARS

SIXTY

FUCKING

NO MAN'S

DOLLARS

So if all the above was the same, but there was basic, functional multiplayer, would it be OK? Becasue as far as I can see, all the issues above come from it being precedurally generated. It was always gonna be the case that after a few hours, it's likely you'd run into similar planets you'd seen before, just maybe a different colour pallete.

I'm still extremely interested in the game myself, but I'll wait for a sale though on PC (and hopefully they've improved the performance by then). In the meantime I'm gonna keep enjoying the hell out of the amazing Elite Dangerous.

BizzyBum

No Man's Sky is a multi-verse. Players need to figure out how to traverse the different universes by ripping through spacetime itself. Once that's done, you need to find the same exact universe (out of quntillions) your friend is in and then land on the same planet (out of quntillions) at the same place at the same time.

It won't happen for decades, if ever fam.

nomis

Who the shit cares if this game were even technically transmitting player location data if it was still effectively infeasable to rendezvous with your friends? This argument is absurd

Boke1879

It's as simple as this. If you feel wronged by all of this. Just don't buy the game. A lot of you have been arguing for days and for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom