• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I packet captured my PS4. When the servers are online, no player movement data is sent to servers, either in space or planet side. It simply doesn't transmit where you are, or any world sharing information.

It does transmit your Discovers, and a diary of planets you have visited. I imagine that is for the Easter eggs.

I dont know much about this stuff but wouldn't the players movement data only be transmitted to the servers if they were in the same system as each other? Tracking everyones movement all the time all over the galaxy seems like a whole lot of unnecessary server load.

m4st4

So what? What would I do if I saw one anyway? Probably think it's NPC.

Haters gonna hate no matter what, finding loopholes and problems when there's a whole game in front of them. Don't like it? Play something else or wait six months-a year, see how it compares then.

Macleoid

I packet captured my PS4. When the servers are online, no player movement data is sent to servers, either in space or planet side. It simply doesn't transmit where you are, or any world sharing information.

It does transmit your Discovers, and a diary of planets you have visited. I imagine that is for the Easter eggs.

Also, if you press 'OPTIONS' it pauses the entire game world, including AI (watch creatures and ships stop) and *time*. Planets stop moving and time stops passing when in OPTIONS. This is *not* a multiplayer game.

That sounds definitive enough.

Riposte

I've never seen a defense force this powerful in all of my time on GAF. Diehards in the future should compare themselves to this spectacle.

It's not that big of a deal if a game that was always vague about its details turns out not to have multiplayer, but it is in direct conflict with previous statements if it doesn't, so I'd say fans are owed an explanation at the very least.

SoulUnison

Banned
He said you can play with friends?
All he's talked about is being able to see others. And seeing them don't make it a MP game, especially if it's very rare.

I wouldn't mind them just saying it, again, to conform or deny it but some people are overly upset about this issue on the first day, which might be down to numerous connection and server issues.

How can we be 2200 posts into this thread and still have people saying "He said you can play with friends?"
How is that even possible? Just... click on a random page in this thread and then click on a random YouTube link somewhere on the page and there's a good chance it'll be the interview in question.
Seriously, do you think all these people in here saying that the devs have said that and talking about interviews and videos are just making it up off the top of their heads?

He was directly asked "Can we play with our friends?"
He directly answered "Yes."

That is a thing that happened. It's on video.

You're blowing my mind right now.

when did he say that

Are you kidding me?

Carn82

Also, if you press 'OPTIONS' it pauses the entire game world, including AI (watch creatures and ships stop) and *time*. Planets stop moving and time stops passing when in OPTIONS. This is *not* a multiplayer game.

Now that's some quality info.

I'm pretty sure there will be some sort of statement from HG / Sean. And it wouldnt surprise me if 'multiplayer features' is something that has been pushed backward; so who knows we'll see it arrive in an update. So No Man's Sky isnt a multiplayer game -for now-.

He said you can play with friends?
All he's talked about is being able to see others. And seeing them don't make it a MP game, especially if it's very rare.

I wouldn't mind them just saying it, again, to conform or deny it but some people are overly upset about this issue on the first day, which might be down to numerous connection and server issues.
Ehm, yes it does. If players can meet up and see each other, that is a multiplayer feature. That means you can go around exploring together and such.

They should just clear it up.

So what? What would I do if I saw one anyway? Probably think it's NPC.

Haters gonna hate no matter what, finding loopholes and problems when there's a whole game in front of them. Don't like it? Play something else or wait six months-a year, see how it compares then.
Company says something is in the game. Turns out it isn't. Or maybe is. Company is unclear about it. People are confused. That's not hate, that is just wanting the company to clear up if feature X that has been talked about earlier by the company is in the game or not.

Seiniyta

I'm sure, some weeks, months down the line people will figure out how to meet up and everyone will be legit shocked whilst Sean is just drinking a pint and grinning like a mad idiot.

Klyka

Banned
The internet produces gems as usual

hgzMDvU.png

GHG

I get that. BUT do you really think reconfirming that people can indeed find each other (live) would spoil something after this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

It's not like this feature was supposed to be super secret after he promoted it on several occasions.

And most recently he also said this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/762688708764135425

It's pretty clear that this isn't a game where you "hook up" with other players to them go and explore together. It might have been at one stage but it's not in the game we have today. If that's a big deal to you, look elsewhere.

What they have put in the game is likely more along the lines of little nuggets left behind to give players a sense that someone else has been there before them.

CAN YOU OR CAN YOU NOT SEE OTHER PEOPLE IN THE GAME WORLD?

Such a simple question? Yes or No?
Look he's a hard working guy and deserves a break because he's an indie dev. It doesn't matter if he's been saying one thing and then suddenly that's not true. Now let's all be patient and let them fix the server issues because after that he will be able to answer the question about a feature that he should know exists or not regardless of any bugs. Also these things take time. He's clearly busy fixing the game and not tweeting vague tweets that don't answer anything. Oh also something something he wants us to figure it out and Easter eggs even though he already said you could.

gossi

I dont know much about this stuff but wouldn't the players movement data only be transmitted to the servers if they were in the same system as each other? Tracking everyones movement all the time all over the galaxy seems like a whole lot of unnecessary server load.

I found another solar system which had been discovered, and captured in that. I encourage others to get Wireshark and try, the protocols are fun. They upload a diary of what you've done with your Discovery Uploads (creatures etc). There's no netcode for hanging around on planets, or syncing planet rotation etc. Hence why the two people on the streams saw different lighting - their planet was in a different location as you can pause time in Options menu.

Stevey

Thanks for doing this, but people will ignore it anyways.
Why couldn't the dev just be clear about it?

JCH!

This 'you can meet other players but it's very unlikely' narrative has always seemed like bullshit to me.

I wish I was wrong but I really don't think there is any multiplayer features beyond sharing discoveries. At least not at the moment.

Zomba13

Also quoting this so people see.

It's a damn shame, especially after all they've said regarding other players. I know very little on networks and such things, but could it be possible that if there were server troubles that the data for player location and movement would not even attempt to be sent?

Or would the game and the local console still try and push out that data to the server even if it wasn't getting a reply? (I assume it would but I really don't know).

Scotch

If the game doesn't transmit where you are to the servers, how would the servers know two players are in the same system?

Kworn

Banned

Everyone listen to what this guy has said!

test_account

XP-39C²

It's a damn shame, especially after all they've said regarding other players. I know very little on networks and such things, but could it be possible that if there were server troubles that the data for player location and movement would not even attempt to be sent?

Or would the game and the local console still try and push out that data to the server even if it wasn't getting a reply? (I assume it would but I really don't know).
If you can pause the game (as in that the game world freezes), it shouldnt be able to have any direct interaction with other players. Same reason why you cant pause the Souls games, even if playing alone. The best thing to hope for in this case is that there is some ghost image like the Souls games, where you can see other players, but not interact with them.

Carn82

could be, if the server notifies the client that, lets say, "multiplayer=false' during startup. Or all the stuff is disabled for now.

But given the fact that game-time 'stops' is a bigger indicator.

Thanks for doing this, but people will ignore it anyways.
Why couldn't the dev just be clear about it?

But he was, except for the time when he wasn't.

The biggest problem with this arguement I noticed after all this hours is that both sides have really loud extreme examples that just post one message that supports their claim and ignore everything else.

And everytime somebody brings up how if you put all the claims together, it's all really vague, wishy-washy and quite frankly confusingly misleading, they are just get slammed by that one link to one statement and make dismissive comments.

It's something even I did at the early stages of this thread and it's not helping. PR statements do not exist in vacuum, they coexist with other PR statements and interviews.

And in NMS case, they are kinda all over the place, which is bad.

gossi

If the game doesn't transmit where you are to the servers, how would the servers know two players are in the same system?

When you discover a system you can rename and upload it. As said in my post, this IS in the netcode - they have a dump of Discovery which happens.

Tecnniqe

Banned
How can we be 2200 posts into this thread and still have people saying "He said you can play with friends?"
How is that even possible? Just... click on a random page in this thread and then click on a random YouTube link somewhere on the page and there's a good chance it'll be the interview in question.
Seriously, do you think all these people in here saying that the devs have said that and talking about interviews and videos are just making it up off the top of their heads?

He was directly asked "Can we play with our friends?"
He directly answered "Yes."

That is a thing that happened. It's on video.

You're blowing my mind right now.
Really? Only video I've seen it was like the last second saying "nyeah" to the question.
All the others have been "you can see others and they can see you".
Ehm, yes it does. If players can meet up and see each other, that is a multiplayer feature. That means you can go around exploring together and such.

Company says something is in the game. Turns out it isn't. Or maybe is. Company is unclear about it. People are confused. That's not hate, that is just wanting the company to clear up if feature X that has been talked about earlier by the company is in the game or not.
Multiplayer feature is not the same as a multiplayer game imo.

Auctopus

The internet produces gems as usual

The turn around on this game has been hilariously quick. People worshipped Murray mere hours ago, hahahah. Also, that first frame "Hey, I didn't do my research on this game but I'm pretty sure there's fully active multiplayer where you can fly ships around together but who knows?"

Look he's a hard working guy and deserves a break because he's an indie dev. It doesn't matter if he's been saying one thing and then suddenly that's not true. Now let's all be patient and let them fix the server issues because after that he will be able to answer the question about a feature that he should know exists or not regardless of any bugs. Also these things take time. He's clearly busy fixing the game and not tweeting vague tweets that don't answer anything. Oh also something something he wants us to figure it out and Easter eggs even though he already said you could.

Lol i sense sarcasim

Seiniyta

What could be the case is that instead of actually being there, the game sends a 'copy' of the character's avatar and their ship for the other player to see.

The only thing missing would be that you're supposed to their player model as well. hmm.

Speely

Banned
But he was, except for the time when he wasn't.

The biggest problem with this arguement I noticed after all this hours is that both sides have really loud extreme examples that just post one message that supports their claim and ignore everything else.

And everytime somebody brings up how if you put all the claims together, it's all really vague, wishy-washy and quite frankly confusingly misleading, they are just get slammed by that one link to one statement and make dismissive comments.

It's something even I did at the early stages of this thread and it's not helping. PR statements do not exist in vacuum, they coexist with other PR statements and interviews.

And in NMS case, they are kinda all over the place, which is bad.

I feel that this is a fair assessment.

sandkiller

I guess that ends the discussion.

See, why couldn't they be straightforward about this?

deoee

Someone here has a spare copy for me for pc so I can try to find my friends on Friday?

Would really love to give you guys some kind of answer but I don't own the game :(

D'awwwww, baby's first sarcasm.

GHG

I'm just glad that we are not having to bitch about the game being always online and not having a pause button to be honest.

Necro900

That's disingenuous, Blizzard was never vague about gameplay features or what you could do or not do in their MMO. Despite Murray's tweets, it's still not clear what you can or cannot do, and his tweets open to interpretation: "online interactions" well, what are those exactly?
I understand the idea of iterative design, but a direct answer would be nice, and not "we hope it would be possible"

He talked about this particular online feature many times:
What's vague about: "you'll know what you look like when you see others" "Can you meet others in the game - Yes!" and so on an so forth?

And in those tweets, again, he acknowledges it's something they wanted to happen. They even put a feature to scan for other players without which those two streamers couldn't have met. What's the point, if the feature is not there after all?

I can't in good faith believe so many people are not understanding elementary sentences from a twitter account. This is pointless, happy conversation.

I found another solar system which had been discovered, and captured in that. I encourage others to get Wireshark and try, the protocols are fun. They upload a diary of what you've done with your Discovery Uploads (creatures etc). There's no netcode for hanging around on planets, or syncing planet rotation etc. Hence why the two people on the streams saw different lighting - their planet was in a different location as you can pause time in Options menu.
Hmm. Hmmm indeed.

Read the begining of my post?
Lol I dunno, something is not right.

I'll be the first to be pissed if its not possible to do this. I just feel like there has to be an explanation as to why its buggered right now.

That seems like too stupid of something to lie about.

Maybe they hadnt had the netcode ready or something yet and he is hoping he can sneak it in or something.

Bedlam

This 'you can meet other players but it's very unlikely' narrative has always seemed like bullshit to me.

I wish I was wrong but I really don't think there is any multiplayer features beyond sharing discoveries. At least not at the moment.
This and probably some kind of list of players who reached the center of the universe.

Auctopus

I am 99% sure this is what we were told years ago. Weird how a lot of people assumed it would be this way and the people who pinned their life aspirations on this game thought otherwise.

KooopaKid

Banned

This would confirm by previous post.

It was obvious to me from the start that the only online aspect was the naming of planets and creatures. Otherwise they would have shown player encounters. You can be sure that if a feature is coded, the devs will show it.
I don't think a future patch will be able to implement a Journey-like experience. The game doesn't seem to be built for it and would need a serious infrastructure reworking IMO. It seems the game is static and not shared except for the planet names.

m4st4

Nah man, it's a team of 15 who probably realized mid-production it ain't happening until at least couple of patches and more development time. The game was never marketed as 'play with your friends online!' - never. They pushed explore, survive, fight, trade narrative and we all (?) knew what it was.

Osahi

The Colbert interview is less than a year old (3 October 2015): https://youtu.be/ZqeN6hj4dZU?t=5m42s

It is the most recent one (the Sony one is from E3 2014 and the Gamer Informer one is from December 2014).

And tbh, if it was a feature they were planning on having, even still in late 2015, and it got canned then they should have been very vocal about it as soon as it got canned. Confirming something that doesn't end up being in the game and being so silent and/or ambiguous about it really makes him look like he never left EA, despite him mentioning that this game was made by a small team every chance he gets.

So almost a year ago in the Colbert thing. My point is made: it was a pretty long time ago when he last confirmed it (there is a lot that can happen in 10 months).

Should they have been vocal about it when they canned it? Yeah, that could've saved some of the outrage and would be the nice thing to do. So some criticism is definitely waranted. But I still stand by my point people are exagerating about this stuff.

Septic360

Banned
Once we got the PC version the game will be analysed anyway and IF there is a player model, we will see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv1CkZXBROc

my video is getting a lot of mileage XD

Well surely there it is??

Now Murray just needs to answer why the players aren't showing up?

The sensible thing to do is give him the benefit of the doubt because the game has just launched and considering its scale, its understandable that such a thing doesn't work.

BUT its also just a case of him addressing the point; I can see why people are frustrated at him seemingly dodging the question.

So lets be sensible but seriously, dont start making excuses for him. I see so many trying to deride those who are disappointed and want clarity on the issue. That really is pathetic imo.

Sean Murray made a statement about the game that MIGHT not be true. IF that is the case, he has to clarify it. Simples

Multiplayer feature is not the same as a multiplayer game imo.
That is totally subjective. In any case, it was a feature that has been talked about and seemingly removed without the developer being clear about it. I get features get removed all the time. But then just say so, instead of this vague Twitter stuff.

Ferrio

Banned
I guess that ends the discussion.

See, why couldn't they be straightforward about this?

Damming evidence but not conclusive. Multi-player could be locked behind something, so no reason to send location data. Pausing might also disable during multiplayer instancing.

SoulUnison

Banned
Really? Only video I've seen it was like the last second saying "nyeah" to the question.
All the others have been "you can see others and they can see you".

So it doesn't count if you don't like the tone of voice he used or the way the interview was edited?

I give up. Gone talking to a wall.

Has anyone here played Pokemon Go?
Can you play with your friends? Yes
Can you see what other players look like in the gameworld? Yes
Can you grief other players? Yes

Can you see in real time other players walking around in the world in game? Nope

Bedlam

He talked about this particular online feature many times:
What's vague about: "you'll know what you look like when you see others" "Can you meet others in the game - Yes!" and so on an so forth?

And in those tweets, again, he acknowledges it's something they wanted to happen. They even put a feature to scan for other players without which those two streamers couldn't have met. What's the point, if the feature is not there after all?

I can't in good faith believe so many people are not understanding elementary sentences from a twitter account. This is pointless, happy conversation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBEXSiFzOfU

No need to twist words (with regards to the bolded part): people never said he was vague in those interviews. He was pretty clear that you could see other players. The issue is: that probably was a lie and the functionality isn't in the game because he does not give a straight answer now when asked directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom