• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Record 27 Animated Feature Films Vie For the Best Animated Feature Oscar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nominations will be announced Jan. 24.

A record 27 animated features have been submitted for consideration for the animated feature film Oscar, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Friday.

The crowded lists reflects the fact that most of the major studios are now all-in when it comes to animation, with Disney represented by Pixar's Finding Dory and Disney Animation's Zootopia and Moana; Universal/Illumination's The Secret Life of Pets and Sing; Dreamworks Animation/Fox's Kung Fu Panda 3 and Trolls and Fox/Blue Sky's Ice Age: Collision Course; Sony's The Angry Birds Movie as well as the R-rated Sausage Party; and Warner Bros.' Storks.

Specialty distributors are staking claims with movies like Focus/Laika's stop-motion animated Kubo and the Two Strings and Sony Pictures Classics' The Red Turtle, which won a special jury prize at this year's Cannes Film Festival Un Certain Regard sidebar.

The Swiss film My Life as a Zucchini will be doing double duty since it's been submitted for animated feature and is also Switzerland's entry in the foreign-language film race. It will be distributed in the U.S. by GKIDS Films, the indie distributor that's shown a knack for garnering animated feature nominations and is also fielding such films as April and the Extraordinary World, Miss Hokusai and Phantom Boy.

And Netflix also has thrown its hat in the ring with the animated film version of The Little Prince.

Several of the films that have been submitted must also complete Los Angeles theatrical runs to qualify, but as long as 16 of those films complete their qualifying runs, under Academy rules up to five animated movies can be nominated for the award, nominations for which will be announced Jan. 24.

The complete lists follows:

“The Angry Birds Movie”
“April and the Extraordinary World”
“Bilal”
“Finding Dory”
“Ice Age: Collision Course”
“Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV”
“Kubo and the Two Strings”
“Kung Fu Panda 3”
“The Little Prince”
“Long Way North”
“Miss Hokusai”
“Moana”
“Monkey King: Hero Is Back”
“Mune”
“Mustafa & the Magician”
“My Life as a Zucchini”
“Phantom Boy”
“The Red Turtle”
“Sausage Party”
“The Secret Life of Pets”
“Sing”
“Snowtime!”
“Storks”
“Trolls”
“25 April”
“Your Name.”
“Zootopia”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscars-a-record-27-animated-feature-films-vie-trophy-946614

There's still a lot I want to see like The Red Turtle and Bilal

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Zootopia will probably win unless Moana is incredible. Haven't seen the Red Turtle but its basically disqualified for being something other than a kids movie.

Edit: It would be hilarious if Sausage Party won.

If it's like previous oscars, the judges only viewed 2 or 3 of them with their kids because they had to and are just gonna pencil the most popular Disney one.

Woorloog

Banned
Zootopia will probably win unless Moana is incredible. Haven't seen the Red Turtle but its basically disqualified for being something other than a kids movie.

Edit: It would be hilarious if Sausage Party won.

Zootopia is really, really good. Would easily deserve an Oscar (EDIT OTOH, perhaps others should get a chance).

I reckon some Gafers would be livid if Sausage Party would win.
There's no chance for that... actually, never mind, there's so much crazy shit.

If it's like previous oscars, the judges only viewed 2 or 3 of them with their kids because they had to and are just gonna pencil the most popular Disney one.
Pretty much. It's ironic that there category was basically invented for a DreamWorks movie, yet Disney wins it by default nearly every year.

Finaj

There was a ton of good animated films this year. I'd be happy if KFP3, Kubo, Zootopia, Your Name, or The Red Turtle (and probably Moana) won.

Angry Birds is on the list? Is this just a list of animated movies that came out this year, because that movie doesn't deserve to be considered a nominee for an Oscar. C'mon guys.

Oersted

Not particular one Dreamworks movie, but the existence of Dreamworks drove up the production of animation in America, thus the category came to life.

Yes, old white men don't watch anime.

Angry Birds is on the list? Is this just a list of animated movies that came out this year, because that movie doesn't deserve to be considered a nominee for an Oscar. C'mon guys.

Submitted for consideration, not taken into. So far its only Sonys/Rovios doing.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Disney/Pixar movies in there, welp Kubo and Your Name have no chance

To be fair outside of visuals and music Kubo was not a great movie. The story was a non starter and it felt like they tried to do too many things in a small movie just so they could thrown in all those crazy set pieces and environments. It didn't mesh well at all and the story didn't earn any of the emotional moments.

Can see it being a western film or your name. The level of success "your name" got might help it but then again, Oscar judges are notoriously ill informed and make random selections so who knows.

Would love to see kinglaive to win it just to see the ffxv marketing pushing a unnesccesarry movie franchise based on ffxv.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Zootopia will win. But, if the voters actually watch the films they're voting on, I could see Your Name winning.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

It's a list of Animated movies that have been submitted for consideration to the Academy.

Okay, well that makes me feel a little better.

Zootopia was excellent. Kubo was fantastic. I've only seen each once so I don't know that I can say which is better, but the art style and incredible animation of Kubo to me makes it deserving of the award.

GreyDaise

Neo Member
I hope Kubo will win, but realistically, it'll be Zootopia. (Which I don't mind too much...I liked Zootopia. Just not as much as Kubo.)

jett

D-Member
lol at Sony submitting Kingsglaive. Studios really submit everything.

Either Zootopia or Moana will win, easy. Disney will not be denied.

Jex

Considering how much we've learnt about the voting process for this category, I think it's pretty safe to say that only the most mainstream of these titles has a chance to win.

StoneFox

The judges of this category always vote the most mainstream movie, so most of these films have no chance next to Zootopia and Finding Dory.

Which is always disappointing as far as voting goes.

While I know the voters go by what their kids liked and not what they bothered to see, I'd just like to say Your Name, Kubo and the Two Strings, The Red Turtle, Psychonauts The Forgotten Children are all excellent and you shouldn't miss out if you get the chance.

I haven't seen Bilal or The Little Prince, might check them out.

Platy

Saw The Red Turtle at a film festival last week, a phenomenal, confident piece of film-making.

It is the most deserving movie of the list for sure.... but I doubt it will even be nominated.

It is between Moana, Zootopia and Kubo

Based on how the academy works, Zootopia will win hands down.

I want Kubo to win though. It might not be anything special story-wise but god damn if it wasn't just gorgeous to look at.

kswiston

Since the Animated Feature category was expanded to 5 films, the academy has always nominated 2-3 smaller films, along with the regular big name stuff. Zootopia will probably win, but I don't think we should just rule everything out from getting nominated. Unlike movie going audiences, the Academy seems to like stop-animation, so maybe Kubo will get a spot.

Zootopia will almost certainly win; it's a Disney film with the most mainstream positive critical and popular reception out of this whole list. I'd like to see Miss Hokusai take it, and The Red Turtle, which I haven't yet seen, might also be a worthy contender, but any non-US film has no shot here.

Since the Animated Feature category was expanded to 5 films, the academy has always nominated 2-3 smaller films, along with the regular big name stuff. Zootopia will probably win, but I don't think we should just rule everything out from getting nominated. Unlike movie going audiences, the Academy seems to like stop-animation, so maybe Kubo will get a spot.

So you're saying Kingsglaive has a chance?

Believe

If we're talking about nominations, what I see as the likely nomination shortlist is:

Finding Dory
Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
Zootopia

And then I'm not sure what the fifth film would be (please not Sausage Party).

I REALLY want to see Red Turtle. And I loved Kingsglaive. Not too many serious sci fi/Fantasy animation movies so I respect it for that. I've really never seen anything like it before.

kswiston

If we're talking about nominations, what I see as the likely nomination shortlist is:

Finding Dory
Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
Zootopia

And then I'm not sure what the fifth film would be (please not Sausage Party).

I could see Finding Dory being skipped over. Monsters University didn't get a nomination. Inside Out was the only big animated film they nominated last year. With Dory looking likely to be the lesser of the three Disney flicks, they could end up skipping it to spread the nominations out a bit.

If Your Name was a Ghibli film, it would have been a shoe in. Maybe the general popularity of the film in Japan will be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom