• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Record 27 Animated Feature Films Vie For the Best Animated Feature Oscar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet all 27 of them are thanking god that the emoji movie didn't release this year. That movie is going to sweep the Oscars for sure.

My vote goes to Kubo

Hey... hey... HEY!

.....Why is Norm of the North not on this list!? If any animated movie deserves an Oscar, it is Norm. Of. The. North!

But in all seriousness, Zootopia is gonna win since it was really really good. Not to mention the fact that, even if Your Name ended up being even better than Zootopia, I doubt the Oscar judges or whoever bothered watching that film, so Zootopia will win by default :p

EDIT: Oh, that's right, I forgot about Moana. I guess that one could win if it ends up being better than Zootopia. Disney seems to be on a roll with their movies, so it could happen.

I don't understand why everyone is complaining about Disney in here. Disney Animation Studios has been knocking it out of the park the last several years. And given their pedigree and the fact that they're based in the US it shouldn't be a surprise that they're dominating this Oscar category.

Eh, I'm not the type to care about stuff like this anyway. If something is good, it's good. Vanity recognition like the Oscars doesn't magically make a movie less impressive if it fails to win an award.

Kelpie

Ratchet & Clank being left out is a travesty!

j/k

Of the 27 nominated I've seen:

Finding Dory
Kubo and the Two Strings
Kung Fu Panda 3
Sausage Party
The Secret Life of Pets
Zootopia

Kubo is my favorite so far but I'm looking forward to seeing how good Moana is.

I don't understand why everyone is complaining about Disney in here. Disney Animation Studios has been knocking it out of the park the last several years. And given their pedigree and the fact that they're based in the US it shouldn't be a surprise that they're dominating this Oscar category.

Eh, I'm not the type to care about stuff like this anyway. If something is good, it's good. Vanity recognition like the Oscars doesn't magically make a movie less impressive if it fails to win an award.

Nobody has anything against Disney, they make great animated films. However the year when a conventional superhero origin story film in Big Hero 6 beat masterpieces like The Tale of the Princess of Kaguya and Song of the Sea, something was up. And upon further investigation by The Hollywood Reporter with 7 Academy members, it showed how clueless they were towards animation.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-se...ters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html

Kingsglaive but no Kizumonogatari? Boooo

Half joking

Your Name seems like it would get the award out of being "time" for a Japanese movie to win since its Spirited Away 2

But Moana and Kubo are better movies

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'd vote for kubo but wouldn't be mad at Zootopia
pretty good year for animation

This is one of the steepest competitions for best animated film in years. I could see multiple ones winning in other years if they weren't surrounded by titles as good as these.

List is going to be Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Dory and maybe Your Name as the default international play. Or Pets, if the Academy is just playing brand recognition as usual.

Xe4

Banned
Predictions:7

Zootopia (winner)
Finding Dory
The Red Turtle
Kubo and the Two Strings
My Life as a Courgette
That's be my prediction, except for (as a previous poster said), Moana instead of Finding Dory. Pixar isn't always shoed in anymore, as seen with Monsters U.

I'd give Zootopia a 90% chance of winning, so it getting the award will come as little surprise. Sad as it is, the Oscar voters don't give a fuck and will only vote on the one they went with their kids to. The Oscars really needs to implement a equipped viewing and rating policy for each category, or nothing will change.

Your Name is $300,000 away from beating Spirited Away's all time high for anime film box office.

If there was a year to give the token vote for the Japanese, it would probably be this one to what is essentially Spirited Away 2. But I don't think the judges will give a shit.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm still laughing about Kingsglaive.

Your Name is $300,000 away from beating Spirited Away's all time high for anime film box office.

If there was a year to give the token vote for the Japanese, it would probably be this one to what is essentially Spirited Away 2. But I don't think the judges will give a shit.

"my grand daughter really liked that movie with the talking bunny and the fox. I didn't watch the other Chinese cartoons, so I'm giving it to this one"

I mean Zootopia was brilliant and Moana was an achievement in animation so it's fair game.
Have you seen Kubo?

pKDP4ro.gif

This is the new standard for stop-motion.

My preferred film (Sausage Party) has a snowball's chance in hell, and I'm okay with that.

But I'd be really really happy if Moana got it over Zootopia. Moana deserves the love and I despise Zootopia so yeah

Yeah sorry, I'll always support the Kubo team when it comes to talking about animation, the amount of effort they put into every little fucking detail to its stop motion is insane. Laika is amazing.

WillyFive

Kubo was pretty nice, but Zootopia and Secret Life of Pets are also very good. Kubo has a weaker story than those two, but better and far more impressive animation.

Big Hero 6 winning over Song of the Sea and Kaguya wasn't much better.

Big Hero 6 should have been in last place that year, not win it at all.

God this ghetto of a category needs to just be renamed to "Best Disney and/or Pixar film" to reflect the academy's feelings towards animated films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom