• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Record 27 Animated Feature Films Vie For the Best Animated Feature Oscar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just reminding people Princess Kaguya lost to fucking Big Hero 6. Masterpiece of Japanese hand drawn animation that took over half a decade to finish lost to a generic CGI bore.

You want to get even madder and more disheartened, look up what the Academy voters thought about Princess Kaguya.

I could see Finding Dory being skipped over. Monsters University didn't get a nomination. Inside Out was the only big animated film they nominated last year. With Dory looking likely to be the lesser of the three Disney flicks, they could end up skipping it to spread the nominations out a bit.

That makes sense. In that case, I'd guess Your Name and Red Turtle for the remaining two slots.

Just reminding people Princess Kaguya lost to fucking Big Hero 6. Masterpiece of Japanese hand drawn animation that took over half a decade to finish lost to a generic CGI bore.

You want to get even madder and more disheartened, look up what the Academy voters thought about Princess Kaguya.

Even Song of the Sea would've been a better choice than Big Hero 6.

There are plenty of great movies on that list, but that doesn't take away from how good Zootopia was. Maybe it's a sign that not all these movies should be crammed into one specialty category, and that they should be recognized across more categories.

HStallion

27 films and you don't include Koe no Katachi. This list is already a failure.

Its because it would most likely have to be released theatrically in the US which I don't know if that was. Otherwise its stuck in the best foreign film category.

kswiston

There are plenty of great movies on that list, but that doesn't take away from how good Zootopia was. Maybe it's a sign that not all these movies should be crammed into one specialty category, and that they should be recognized across more categories.

The animation ghetto was created because animated films have no shot at best picture. Beauty and the Beast was the only animated film to ever be nominated for best picture before they expanded the category to 10 nominations. After that they experimented with letting more popular nominations through (which got Toy Story 3 and Up a nom) before largely bringing things back to dramas again.

javac

HStallion pls, I was having such a good day too.

HStallion

The animation ghetto was created because animated films have no shot at best picture. Beauty and the Beast was the only animated film to ever be nominated for best picture before they expanded the category to 10 nominations. After that they experimented with letting more popular nominations through (which got Toy Story 3 and Up a nom) before largely bringing things back to dramas again.

Shit its hard for a comedy to even be nominated for Best Picture unless its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Its because it would most likely have to be released theatrically in the US which I don't know if that was. Otherwise its stuck in the best foreign film category.

Koe no Katachi hasn't even had a US license announced, so it's still a long way off from being able to show up here. Maybe next year.

If it's a Disney film, I don't think it should be Dory. Zootopia was the better film. Hopefully the Academy doesn't vote on it solely due to it being a Pixar film.

Shit its hard for a comedy to even be nominated for Best Picture unless its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

For a lot of genre's really. The reason the Academy expanded the Best Picture nominations was directly due to The Dark Knight being snubbed the year before.

Loxley

Any other year I would give it to Kubo, but I honestly think Zootopia deserves to win, especially in the wake Trump's election. It's become arguably the most important film for kids in years - preaching a message of tolerance and acceptance for individuals even though they may look or talk differently from you. A lot of that messaging was pretty brilliantly handled considering the heaviness of the subject matter.

Bravoexo

Kubo and the Two Strings should Win, if those who have watched it first before finding out it's a stop motion film.

kswiston

When's the last time they nominated a pure comedy that wasn't a Woody Allen film? If your film isn't really about personal/family dysfunction underneath the jokes, do not apply.

Red Turtle, Kubo AND Your Name? What a great year it's been.

I liked the film well enough for what it is, but Funimation has brass balls larger than Juipter for submitting Miss Hokusai thinking a single academy member would vote for it.

Disney bias so Your Name and Kubo has no chance same old same old.

Even if they don't win, a nomination would be huge because it brings recognition to a global audience. I remember I never even heard of the Irish animation studio Cartoon Saloon and their movie, "The Secret Of Kells" until it was nominated which made me research and buy it, watch it and become a fan, and more specifically a fan of the director Tomm Moore's work which he later directed the fantastic "Song of the Sea".

Parch

Zootopia has to be the frontrunner. There's a lot of meh on that list. Angry Birds, Dory, Life of Pets, Ice Age, and Panda 3 were the ones I've seen and they're not even close to how good Zootopia is.

PR_rambo

Banned
Trump taught me that shit can fly, so I expect Kingsglaive to get nominated.

Kubo, Zootopia and Your Name are worth.

Red Turtle, Kubo AND Your Name? What a great year it's been.

I liked the film well enough for what it is, but Funimation has brass balls larger than Juipter for submitting Miss Hokusai thinking a single academy member would vote for it.

Miss Hokusai isn't submitted by Funimation, but by GKIDS:

The Swiss film My Life as a Zucchini will be doing double duty since it's been submitted for animated feature and is also Switzerland's entry in the foreign-language film race. It will be distributed in the U.S. by GKIDS Films, the indie distributor that's shown a knack for garnering animated feature nominations and is also fielding such films as April and the Extraordinary World, Miss Hokusai and Phantom Boy.

Ross61

Storks isn't Finding Dory, Kubo and the Two Strings, Moana, Zootopia but I loved it regardless and thought is was one of the better animated films of recent years. No chance it will win tho.

Should Your Name win? I haven't watched it, but it seems like everyone I talk to that's an animation buff thinks it's the greatest thing ever and have not seen the same enthusiasm for any of these except maybe Zootopia. Zootopia probably gonna take it.

Jex

Should Your Name win? I haven't watched it, but it seems like everyone I talk to that's an animation buff thinks it's the greatest thing ever and have not seen the same enthusiasm for any of these except maybe Zootopia. Zootopia probably gonna take it.

Shinkai's is a hack, so no.

SaniOYOYOY

Watched zootopia kubo your name and kingsglaive

zootopia : great imho. really like the visual + narrative

kubo :
god that monkey nags to much for me.
really like the story line but the conclusion is kinda weak

kingsglaive
libertus's existence really hurt this movie
, watched in the theater then buy digital. I swear the fight scenes are miles better in the digital. less shaky and you can actually see whats going on

your name : I DONT WATCH ANIME BUT THIS SHIT IS PURE CLASS. I think the plot was not that original anime-ly speaking but as a mainstream viewer its soooooooooo refreshing.

my brain says zootopia, my heart says your name.

Likely gonna be another Disney/Pixar win, I imagine Zootopia is the most likely candidate unless Moana blows things out of the park. (In fairness to Zootopia, considering all of the things I've heard about the film, it's not like such a win wouldn't be deserved for the film).

Hoping Kubo, at the very least, gets a nomination.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Must not be a hard list to get into, some of these entries smh
This has nothing to do with quality. It's simply a matter of paying a small application fee (I believe) and having played in a Los Angeles theater for a week. These aren't the nominations or a shortlist. It's simply a list of what can be considered.

brian577

Banned
Any other year I would give it to Kubo, but I honestly think Zootopia deserves to win, especially in the wake Trump's election. It's become arguably the most important film for kids in years - preaching a message of tolerance and acceptance for individuals even though they may look or talk differently from you. A lot of that messaging was pretty brilliantly handled considering the heaviness of the subject matter.

I expect it to win for that reason alone.

shira

Zootopia will win. But, if the voters actually watch the films they're voting on, I could see Your Name winning.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I think I read and old interview about how an Academy member chose Best Animated and they basically asked their grandkids.

kiri

Shinkai's is a hack, so no.

lolno, I mean, what they hell are you even talking about? Sure, the guy has a particular style, but you might as well call Tarantino or Scorsese a hack too by that meter.

Your Name is a great movie and I have had the pleasure of speaking with Shinkai directly; he's a great guy.

Personally speaking, its a pretty hard toss-up for me between Your Name and Zootopia - too hard to choose!

MSMrRound

A Disney movie will probably win, but good to see quite a few titles vying to be in that list of finalists.

Caught Your Name recently and without a lot of experience of Shinkai's films, I found myself enjoying quite a bit, with the good pacing and the tight soundtrack (all done by one single Japanese band over the span of one and a half years).

Went back to watch a second time with my sister yesterday and was glad to see that she enjoyed the movie as well, even when she went into it blind.

Hopefully it will be available at your nearby theaters soon if you have yet to watch it. You will be doing yourself a disservice if you catch it via a camrip or something. It deserves to be watched in its full glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom