• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Record 27 Animated Feature Films Vie For the Best Animated Feature Oscar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My preferred film (Sausage Party) has a snowball's chance in hell, and I'm okay with that.

Dunno, the raunchy adult animation movie that underpaid animators so they could afford having 20 big name stars to half-ass their voice acting would be a good representation of how much people care about animation

Haven't seen moana yet but want your name to win only because it's been a while since a Japanese anime movie resonated so well and might kickstart more quality from them. Zootopia and Kubo are worthy winners if it goes their way. Honestly a decent lineup of worthy winners.

WillyFive

Disney put out two good movies this year though. If Pixar wins this year then you know they really dont give a shit

Yeah, Dory was a good movie but definitely not the best; and shows that the OScar voters still haven't fixed their problem and just vote for whatever they've heard the most of instead of watching them.

Both Zootopia and Moana were great. Both are deserving. I wonder if Lin-Manuel Miranda will give Moana the edge with Academy voters, though. You'd think Moana will win for Best Original Song.

They're the most high profile studio is the
usual
reason.

It can be both. Disney (and to a lesser extent Pixar) are essentially synonymous with animation for a lot of people, but they make good stuff traditionally. I wouldn't be upset at Moana winning because its a good movie in a category that is seen as lesser.

Xe4

Banned
They make great films is the reason. Their output this year has been insane and I say this is not really much of a disney fan and even i was besotted with Zootopia.
The real reason (unfortunately) is people vote on what their kids drag them to, and don't give a shit about any other films. There are numerous years where greatly superior films lost to popular Disney/Pixar films (though not this year, fortunately).

Disney makes great films, absolutely; I adored Zootopia and Moana. However, Disney films for their level of quality win far too often. Animation is the one category where a single company takes home the award 90% of the time.

Blues1990

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, an organization whose general membership is aggressively indifferent towards animation, hands out three annual animation-related Oscars without following the criteria. One of these members outright admitted that he ignored the actual criteria to vote for the movie he liked best, and another like the short film 'Feast' because "He likes dogs."

The problem is that these judges don't even want to waste time on animated movies from small companies. And this is not fair to anyone. Disney, or any of the big-name western animation studios, shouldn't have their films automatically win because of their name recognition. It's not fair to the other nominees if they aren't even given a chance!

Kenai

It's gonna be either Zootopia or Moana.

You can prefer something else on the list (and that's fine, most of them are at least good, several are phenomenal) but either of those getting it shouldn't make anyone upset. They are both amazing.

Zootopia wins for story/writing, but Kubo for animations and effects. They're both good, but Kubo was amazing in terms of setting a new bar for stop motion. I watched The Nightmare Before Christmas and Kubo last night.

massoluk

Banned
It would be a crime if Zootopia lose, It has been a long time since I have seen an animated feature with so much substance yet so assessible and family friendly

JSevere

Zootopia should take this pretty easily. If there was any justice in the Academy though it'd be up for Best Picture

GunBR

Zootopia already won

It's a great animation and will be deserved...but Your Name isn't not only the best animation of the year but one of the best movies of the year
I hope that it get at least a nomination

Kubo was pretty nice, but Zootopia and Secret Life of Pets are also very good. Kubo has a weaker story than those two, but better and far more impressive animation.

Big Hero 6 should have been in last place that year, not win it at all.

Nah, Last place should have been Boxtrolls, Lego movie should have been on the shortlist, etc.

daffy

Banned
Ever since Big Hero 6 I've lost faith in the Academy. That movie was extremely forgettable and not noteworthy in the slightest

mortal

Gold Member
I mean, why not try, but it's still hilarious to see Kingsglaive up there.

I don't understand what's so funny though? The storytelling wasn't amazing, but as far as technical animation goes. It's incredible work. Definitely worth of some recognition.

It's sort of annoying how people can be so dismissive of the amazing effort that goes into a project like that, just because they didn't like the story.

7Th

They make great films is the reason. Their output this year has been insane and I say this is not really much of a disney fan and even i was besotted with Zootopia.

You really think a mediocre offering like Big Hero 6 deserved to win over Princess Kaguya? This is the only year in which their win would feel deserved; and I say this as someone who has seen all the front runners including Your Name and The Red Turtle.

kewlmyc

Fucking lol at Kingsglave being on the list.

Also part of me is mad that Your Name is being considered just because it played in a few LA theaters and no where else. RELEASE IT NATIONWIDE ALREADY DAMMIT.

Anyway, I see Zootopia winning but wouldn't mind a surprise win from Kubo. Though I don't remember the last time a non-Disney film won an Oscar for best animated. Spirited Away was distributed by Disney.

WillyFive

Also part of me is mad that Your Name is being considered just because it played in a few LA theaters and no where else. RELEASE IT NATIONWIDE ALREADY DAMMIT.

Anyway, I see Zootopia winning but wouldn't mind a surprise win from Kubo. Though I don't remember the last time a non-Disney film won an Oscar for best animated. Spirited Away was distributed by Disney.

Rango (2011), Happy Feet (2006), Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Warerabbit (2005), and Shrek (2001) are the four movies that won the award and were not from Disney in some way.

duckroll

This is not a list of nominations. This is a list of animated films of the year being submitted for consideration which qualify base on guidelines. This just shows how under-represented animation has always been. 27 films being considered in a year is a "record". For most categories, it's not even worth mentioning because it would be hundreds at least.

There is zero chance Kingsglaive will be a nomination so...

UberTag

Nominations announced:

Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
My Life as a Zucchini
The Red Turtle
Zootopia
Pretty much what everyone expected. Zootopia should take this in a walk.
That said, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Visual Effects Oscar nom for Kubo and the Two Strings. It might actually be able to take home a consolation prize.
I mean, it's probably going to get beat out by The Jungle Book... but at least it's a possibility.

Incidentally, this is now 4 years in a row for a GKIDS nomination... they've got quite the little awards lobby, don't they?

So can Your Name qualify for next year or no?

It probably got screwed over by having next to no releases in NA yet. Plus this year just being so damn strong for animation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom