• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

I can see Dany finding out about either Varys or Littlefinger and being the one to hang them.

Oh shit, what if Littlefinger finds a way to get into Dany's pants?!? Maybe Jorah was the one who "betrayed her for love" and Littlefinger would "betray her for gold".

ultron87

I feel like Littlefinger is beyond just wanting gold though. Also, I feel like the betrayal would have to be from someone that was actually one her side initially.

Also, I don't think Jorah was the betrayal for love. Or at least not yet. He hasn't really done anything yet that would actually count as a betrayal.

Pikelet

ultron87 said:
I feel like Littlefinger is beyond just wanting gold though. Also, I feel like the betrayal would have to be from someone that was actually one her side initially.

Also, I don't think Jorah was the betrayal for love. Or at least not yet. He hasn't really done anything yet that would actually count as a betrayal.
Spying on someone is betraying them.

ultron87

Pikelet said:
Spying on someone is betraying them.

But he was doing that way before he started loving her, so I wouldn't call that a "betrayal for love". And once he did start to love her he stopped spying, right?

fanboi

Banned
ultron87 said:
But he was doing that way before he started loving her, so I wouldn't call that a "betrayal for love". And once he did start to love her he stopped spying, right?

Yes, but he was still the reason she almost got assasinated...

gutshot

Question: are we tagging Dunk & Egg spoilers? Well, just in case...

I like the Bloodraven=Coldhands theory myself.

dabig2

I think mostly everyone supposes it's Benjen, or at least that was my initial first impression...okay more like hope. It'd be awesome if he got saved by the CoF like in the tale and is now serving the 3-eyed crow, but that's more of a pipe-dream.

Pollux

bengraven said:
I'm still convinced he's a new character.

That said, we'll get more clues in Dance since Bran has a few chapters.
I mean I think he is probably a new character, but if he's not Benjen where the hell did Benjen go? I'm not convinced brother Stark is dead.

bengraven

zmoney said:
I mean I think he is probably a new character, but if he's not Benjen where the hell did Benjen go? I'm not convinced brother Stark is dead.

His character is significant, but why?

1) was he secretly going off to consort with the Others or the Children? Maybe the Children, which is why he left Jon the means to kill them (the bundle under the Fist). If so, maybe he's safe with the Children.

2) maybe his being a Stark is important. Nan told Bran that The Night King who lost his name and deeds in the Watch history was a Stark as well. Maybe that's important.

Just can't wait.

Pollux

bengraven said:
His character is significant, but why?

1) was he secretly going off to consort with the Others or the Children? Maybe the Children, which is why he left Jon the means to kill them (the bundle under the Fist). If so, maybe he's safe with the Children.

2) maybe his being a Stark is important. Nan told Bran that The Night King who lost his name and deeds in the Watch history was a Stark as well. Maybe that's important.

Just can't wait.
You think Benjen might appear as a "big bad" later on?

bengraven

zmoney said:
You think Benjen might appear as a "big bad" later on?

Nah, I just throw out theories. I could see maybe he was playing a more Littlefinger part in the seemingly intrigue-less North however. Whether for good or bad.

bengraven

Mind Blown.

I'm reading the prologue to Feast and I wiki the characters, wondering if any of them are important. (I noticed that Walgrave seemed to know Maester Cresson)

Alleras, Pate's friend, is the son of a Dornishman and a Summer Island trader. He's amazing with a bow and has forged three of his chains already in just one year of being at the Citadel.

So I Google it and my mind is blown.

Alleras backwards is "Sarella". Sarella Sand, the daughter of The Red Viper of Dorne and a Summer Island trader, is also the only of Oberyn's bastards that is unaccounted for in Dorne. Doran says: "leave her to her game".

So the "bowman" and child prodigy Alleras in the prologue, is actually a female and one of the Sand Snakes, Oberyn Martell's bastard daughter.

gutshot

bengraven said:
Mind Blown.

I'm reading the prologue to Feast and I wiki the characters, wondering if any of them are important. (I noticed that Walgrave seemed to know Maester Cresson)

Alleras, Pate's friend, is the son of a Dornishman and a Summer Island trader. He's amazing with a bow and has forged three of his chains already in just one year of being at the Citadel.

Alleras backwards is "Sarella". Sarella Sand, the daughter of The Red Viper of Dorne and a Summer Island trader, is also the only of Oberyn's bastards that is unaccounted for in Dorne. Doran says: "leave her to her game".

So the "bowman" and child prodigy Alleras in the prologue, is actually a female and one of the Sand Snakes, Oberyn Martell's bastard daughter.

Heh, that was one of the few I actually caught myself while reading. *pats himself on back*

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I don't really think Benjen is Coldhands, since there's so much implication that he's an older force and something about being unable to cross the wall. But I agree that Benjen will return. GRRM had ample opportunity to reveal his death by now if he wanted.

bengraven

jon bones said:
fuckin a mate

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Yup, I totally missed that too and found out later on the internet. Blew my mind.

gutshot said:
Heh, that was one of the few I actually caught myself while reading. *pats himself on back*

I got curious as to why that Alleras was so cocky and intelligent. For a moment, I was like "oh maybe Alleras is a secret Targ lawlz" and then was like "oh shit, Alleras is a secret Martell!".

I also didn't catch the Renly being gay lines as well as that the "alchemist" and "pate" in Feast were actually Jaqen. I wonder how many other little things Martin added to the story.

My god, the guy really wants his books analyzed until the end of his days.

Emerson said:
I don't really think Benjen is Coldhands, since there's so much implication that he's an older force and something about being unable to cross the wall. But I agree that Benjen will return. GRRM had ample opportunity to reveal his death by now if he wanted.

I agree with you: it doesn't make sense that Coldhands is Benjen. He seems ancient and powerful and Benjen has only been there for over a year or two. Plus, even though he was technically a "monster", he should have still passed through the Night Castle's door surely, being a Brother for life.

Then again, if you were an ancient creature who was seeking a boy to train and happened to have his uncle in thrall/attendance, who else would you send down to collect said boy?

I still think there's so many damn mysteries up in the North and I hope Bran's chapters give us at least a bit more. Jon's chapters ended up raising more questions and answered few.

bengraven said:
Mind Blown.

holy crap

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
bengraven said:
Mind Blown.

Another reason why the Dorne scenario is pretty, prettayyyyy, pretayyyyyyyyy good.

AcciDante

bengraven said:
Mind Blown.

....holy shit! I don't think i'll be able to finish my reread before the next book :[

bengraven

BlueTsunami said:
Another reason why the Dorne scenario is pretty, prettayyyyy, pretayyyyyyyyy good.

I'm digging the Ironmen and Dorne a lot more this time around. Mostly because I know they have a major part and I can allow myself to become invested in them.

And let's be honest, they're a huge part of the second half of the Ice and Fire series.

AcciDante said:
....holy shit! I don't think i'll be able to finish my reread before the next book :[

Just read Feast at least. It's the other half of the book you're about to read. Or read Storm and skip Feast until you finish Dance, since the majority of Dance takes place during the events of Feast.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i've always been fascinated by the Ironborn.

i still remember the first time you "go" to the Iron Islands and i envisioned the sketchy rope bridges connecting everything together over this bleak grey rainy beautifuly grim atmosphere. and then a bunch of pirates live there?

fuck yeah. i really REALLY hope they get their hands on that Kraken horn. i'd love to see them fuck up another naval force by way of GIANT SQUID

bengraven said:
I'm digging the Ironmen and Dorne a lot more this time around. Mostly because I know they have a major part and I can allow myself to become invested in them.

And let's be honest, they're a huge part of the second half of the Ice and Fire series.

Just read Feast at least. It's the other half of the book you're about to read. Or read Storm and skip Feast until you finish Dance, since the majority of Dance takes place during the events of Feast.
I'm the same way, although really only with the ironmen. Hated those chapters. Just finished my 4th read, and really enjoyed the chapters on them this time. I really like victarion now, he's quite a badass.

I do think it's a little implausible how these dudes from sparsely populated islands seem to have infinite numbers of ships and men whenever they are needed for plot though. Especially after having been smashed just ten years back.

ultron87 said:

I tend to think the guy with the multi-colored hair will betray Dany for gold. Daario Naharis

Pokielhl

Neo Member
I think Cersei will find a loophole that will allow Undead Gregor to fight for her, provided she puts aside her extreme pride. After all she is now the Queen Regent, not the Queen. I'm pretty sure there can only one in Westeros.

thy_

elrechazao said:
I'm the same way, although really only with the ironmen. Hated those chapters. Just finished my 4th read, and really enjoyed the chapters on them this time. I really like victarion now, he's quite a badass.

I do think it's a little implausible how these dudes from sparsely populated islands seem to have infinite numbers of ships and men whenever they are needed for plot though. Especially after having been smashed just ten years back.

I think the Ironmen only have 9 "warships" (the Iron Fleet), the rest are more like "troop-carriers", a single open deck and only able to fight with boarding parties.

On the Battle on the Blackwater, Stannis fleet had 32 ships and the royal fleet had 8 ships, but with all the big ships missing.

I fully expect most of the big houses to have bigger and more expensive fleets, than the Greyjoys.
The Ironmen are only a maritime force, because their ships are light and fast and they themselves are willing to fight in armour on the open sea with no fear of drowning.

PhoenixDark said:
I tend to think the guy with the multi-colored hair will betray Dany for gold. Daario Naharis

I like to think that is Viserys attacking Dany's unborn child to get his golden crown.

Pokielhl said:
I think Cersei will find a loophole that will allow Undead Gregor to fight for her, provided she puts aside her extreme pride. After all she is now the Queen Regent, not the Queen. I'm pretty sure there can only one in Westeros.

Assuming she still holds her title as Queen Regent, and Tommen remains king, she should have the power to name the next KG member. News of Ser Oakheart's death will reach King's Landing eventually, allowing her to name a replacement.

Pokielhl

Neo Member
PhoenixDark said:
Assuming she still holds her title as Queen Regent, and Tommen remains king, she should have the power to name the next KG member. News of Ser Oakheart's death will reach King's Landing eventually, allowing her to name a replacement.

Ok, so either way she should be able to use Gregor.

Pollux

bengraven said:
Mind Blown.

holy fucking shit....woah.

btw when ADWD comes out is it taking place at the same time parallel to AFFC?

KingK

jon bones said:
i've always been fascinated by the Ironborn.

i still remember the first time you "go" to the Iron Islands and i envisioned the sketchy rope bridges connecting everything together over this bleak grey rainy beautifuly grim atmosphere. and then a bunch of pirates live there?

fuck yeah. i really REALLY hope they get their hands on that Kraken horn. i'd love to see them fuck up another naval force by way of GIANT SQUID

I will never, never, never, like Aeron/Damphair/Drowned Man/Dumb-fuck. His 2 POV chapters are the worst 2 in the entire series.

In fact, my 3 least favorite POV characters are Damphair, Theon, and to a lesser degree Victarion. All three of them are Greyjoys.

I don't mind Asha, Euron is a cool villain, and I can see Theon getting a good redemption story going on in the next book, but the Greyjoys/Iron Islands are easily the worst thing about the series, imo.

I'll give you that Victarion's battle scene was cool, but the character himself is such a one dimensional ass hole.

Pollux

KingK said:
I will never, never, never, like Aeron/Damphair/Drowned Man/Dumb-fuck. His 2 POV chapters are the worst 2 in the entire series.

In fact, my 3 least favorite POV characters are Damphair, Theon, and to a lesser degree Victarion. All three of them are Greyjoys.

I don't mind Asha, Euron is a cool villain, and I can see Theon getting a good redemption story going on in the next book, but the Greyjoys/Iron Islands are easily the worst thing about the series, imo.

I'll give you that Victarion's battle scene was cool, but the character himself is such a one dimensional ass hole.
Damphair's first chapter is very interesting but i agree he's still a fucking moron. "Hey lets go drown ourselves!!!! woot"

KgH26.jpg

scosher

I had this crazy theory, after watching the show, that maybe Syrio killed Ser Meryn Trant, and then as a Faceless man, took his identity.

But a quick google and wiki search of Meryn Trant shows that he's been just as much of a PoS as he was in GoT, with no real change in his character/demeanor. Plus the timeline doesn't fit with Ja'qen and Trant being in two places at once.

I'm still hoping that Syrio didn't meet the God of Death that day.

scosher said:
I had this crazy theory, after watching the show, that maybe Syrio killed Ser Meryn Trant, and then as a Faceless man, took his identity.

But a quick google and wiki search of Meryn Trant shows that he's been just as much of a PoS as he was in GoT, with no real change in his character/demeanor. Plus the timeline doesn't fit with Ja'qen and Trant being in two places at once.

I'm still hoping that Syrio didn't meet the God of Death that day.
Martin has basically said syrio is dead. As much as everyone wants syrio to be alive because he's awesome, he's just not :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom