• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A young girl sewn her lips and getting laughed at - Australia, you let this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkace

Banned
I'm not sure I want to believe what's being presented here. That a policy of systematic abuse and mistreatment of refugees is an effective deterrent and corrects incentives, halting the influx of refugees who would have otherwise died en mass on their journey? To believe that this is the best solution even under the guise of pragmatism and a single minded blind belief of utilitarianism is difficult for me to digest.

I'm totally open to other solutions.

Henkka

Banned
I am willing to be generous here and say that they are defending the internment policy on its own and not the rampant cases of abuse it has engendered.

I am being generous here because like you I find it extremely hard to believe that someone would justify child rape for any reason.

That is what I was saying, yeah. The conditions in the facility sound horrific, and something should definitely be done about it.

Window

Then the best way to begin discussions on other less morally reprehensible solutions is to make it well known that the current solution is completely unacceptable. Not to pretend that this the best compromise that can be achieved given unfavourable conditions. It would be better if we did not pretend to play the part of a parent disciplining a child who doesn't know any better.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

A good start would be pumping money into the detention centres to train better staff and allowing full investigative media access to ensure accountability. There will probably always be some degree of abuse when you have people who have the kind of power over others that security guards have over detainees, but we have an absolute duty to do everything we can to minimize this. The idea we should simply turn a blind eye is horrific.

darkace

Banned
Then the best way to begin discussions on other less morally reprehensible solutions is to make it well known that the current solution is completely unacceptable. Not to pretend that this the best compromise that can be achieved given unfavourable conditions. It would be better if we did not pretend to play the part of a parent disciplining a child who doesn't know any better.

Still open to solutions, not moralising.

A good start would be pumping money into the detention centres to train better staff and allowing full investigative media access to ensure accountability. There will probably always be some degree of abuse when you have people who have the kind of power over others that security guards have over detainees, but we have an absolute duty to do everything we can to minimize this. The idea we should simply turn a blind eye is horrific.

I agree. I'd like to know if our policy of secrecy does have any impact as well.

Lime

Keep this in mind every time politicians in your country propose an "Australian immigration system".

I think the people suggesting that system are already well aware of how inhumane the system is, they just don't care about brown and black people and would rather see them dead or tortured than living in the same country.

Jackpot

Banned
"A UN report, to be presented to the UN Human Rights Council on Monday, found that the Australian immigration system breached the global convention on torture and inhuman treatment."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1006858

A very public report on the torture there by a global body resulted in nothing. I expect nothing to happen again. No one can pretend ignorance as if this was some tight secret until today.

Theonik

Yes, our wonderful European system where thousands drown and thousands more die in the desert when smugglers steal their stuff and leave them behind.
So are you suggesting we should send a taxi to pick them up? I mean it's a terrible state of affairs but other than provide them with rescue when they are in dangers in our waters what are we to do about it?
What's the comparison here?

I agree. I'd like to know if our policy of secrecy does have any impact as well.
A system of hiding systematic cruelty to save national face removing accountability from anyone involved almost definitely contributes to these atrocities happening.

Window

Still open to solutions, not moralising.

I mean you're asking me to present alternatives and if I can't it somehow justifies what's currently adopted? Is that right? Well I made it clear that the best way to arrive at a better solution is to launch a serious discussion on the subject. I know the limitations of my knowledge and expertise and I'm probably not the best person in isolation to present solutions. The problem is that such reports have been slowly dripping out for the past year and no major corrective actions have taken place. I'll continue to moralise rather than apathetically accepting the status quo. If this really is the best we can do, then it would be better for the government to present that case rather than hide it in secrecy.

Bold One

Some right cunts in this thread trying to defend this.

Sorry my Australian friends, you have to take this L, it happened on your watch, under the government you elected with your consent. So anyone trying to play some whatabouttery regarding other countries should STFU. Because we all know that no Aussie travelling anywhere in the world under any kind of status would be treated this way.

67b.jpg

darkace

Banned
A system of hiding systematic cruelty to save national face removing accountability from anyone involved almost definitely contributes to these atrocities happening.

I mean towards decreasing deaths at sea. It's the stated goal of the policy, I'd like to know if it has an impact.

I was first introduced to the situation with a recent replay of the This American Life web show No Island is an Island. It was a pretty insane story about the countries history (which also includes international money laundering). The craziest part about it was that the story first aired in 2003, but since then things have actually gotten even worse.

It's disgusting that a situation like that can go on for so long, while many citizens say they deserve harsher treatment. Every "developed" nation seems to have its own share of Trumpish type fans.

darkace

Banned
Criticizing the sexual abuse of children is 'moralizing'?

Sexual abuse happens in all institutions, it's a fact of life. The sides aren't pro-sexual abuse and anti-sexual abuse, they're: We can reduce sexual abuse in such a way that it doesn't reduce the efficacy of the program, and we can't reduce sexual abuse without increasing drownings. I'd like to believe we can, but standing around crying about how racist we are for implementing a policy that commits evil through action to stop a greater evil through inaction isn't achieving it.

This is one of those times where good intentions isn't enough.

Which is you know, staring you in the face, and that is to make these centres humane, safe and reasonably comfortable places to live. What you're saying sounds like excuse making for barbaric conduct. According to a lot of voters though, refugees aren't humans. They might never accept 'their' taxpayers money going in to fund huge improvements in those conditions, but my view of those voters is those pieces of shit should go fuck themselves.

Window

Sexual abuse happens in all institutions, it's a fact of life. The sides aren't pro-sexual abuse and anti-sexual abuse, they're: We can reduce sexual abuse in such a way that it doesn't reduce the efficacy of the program, and we can't reduce sexual abuse without increasing drownings. I'd like to believe we can, but standing around crying about how racist we are for implementing a policy that commits evil through action to stop a greater evil through inaction isn't achieving it.

I would like to know how you've arrived at this conclusion and why it's a binary choice.

aeolist

Banned
I mean towards decreasing deaths at sea. It's the stated goal of the policy, I'd like to know if it has an impact.

lol as if the stated goal is the real reason for their information lockdown and anti-whistleblower policies

i'd say you're naive as fuck but i've seen your posts in other threads so at this point i think you'll just defend anything so long as it comes from a conservative government

What the fuck

darkace

Banned
lol as if the stated goal is the real reason for their information lockdown and anti-whistleblower policies

i'd say you're naive as fuck but i've seen your posts in other threads so at this point i think you'll just defend anything so long as it comes from a conservative government

And I'd say I'm for good policy rather than good intentions. I believe in actually achieving things, rather than standing about smugly wanking ourselves off about how many good vibes we've sent out. What government that comes from is irrelevant. I didn't even vote for our conservative government at the election last month.

I would like to know how you've arrived at this conclusion and why it's a binary choice.

I didn't say it's a binary choice, I'm saying people reducing it to the good and the bad are being disingenuous. There are reasons we enact policy, even if we disagree with it. The LNP aren't SPECTRE.

Dryk

I'd like to believe we can, but standing around crying about how racist we are for implementing a policy that commits evil through action to stop a greater evil through inaction isn't achieving it.
Evidently you disagree but as far as I'm concerned institutionalised torture is the greater evil here

So you're basically saying "It's fine if you're being raped and tortured, at least you aren't dead!".
Read the above, he explicitly says that allowing them to risk their lives is the greater evil

And I'd say I'm for good policy rather than good intentions. I believe in actually achieving things, rather than standing about smugly wanking ourselves off about how many good vibes we've sent out. What government that comes from is irrelevant. I didn't even vote for our conservative government at the election last month.

I didn't say it's a binary choice, I'm saying people reducing it to the good and the bad are being disingenuous.

So you're basically saying "It's fine if you're being raped and tortured, at least you aren't dead!".

Window

I didn't say it's a binary choice, I'm saying people reducing it to the good and the bad are being disingenuous.

What is your position on the matter then may I ask? What in this case constitutes good policy and good governance?

Also please don't patronize me by implying I'm fighting a straw man. There's no doubt that there is a reason why this policy has been enacted. That doesn't mean those reasons cannot include apathy (at worst) or lack of imagination. I'm still wondering why the only choices presented and available to use are either, do the best to limit abuse and in exchange risk increasing deaths by drowning or let things continue as they are which may very well minimise deaths. I don't see the logical mechanism for this trade off. Or even accepting this in the short term, why in the long term there cannot be efforts made towards other solutions which may very well rely on cooperation from other countries.

The boats though? Why won't anyone think of the boats?!
Exactly! The boats are coming across in DROVES, absolute DROVES, and if we don't force the kids to kill themselves in camps like this then all of Australia is lost.

If this is already happening then Australia has already been lost.

darkace

Banned

You're essentially saying killing people is fine because we aren't the people pulling the trigger. You're allowing people to die through inaction because you don't want to be seen doing the wrong thing.

BigDes

You're essentially saying killing people is fine because we aren't the people pulling the trigger. You're allowing people to die through inaction because you don't want to be seen doing the wrong thing.

Trying to play who is higher on the pedestal of morality doesn't really work when your argument boils down to look guys child rape might not be all bad

This is heartbreaking. They should crack this open. Appeal to the world. Bring out the shocking images and stories.

Australia needs to fuck off.

Happy darkace is banned for that hate speech. He sounded like someone defending the holocaust.

Toxi

Banned

...What the actual fuck?

This was a heart-breaking interview, for those interested...

Psychologist and traumatologist Paul Stevenson has worked on-site after some of Australia's worst tragedies providing support to the victims, the families and the emergency services.

From Port Arthur and Thredbo to the Bali bombings and the Malaysian Airlines disasters, he has over 40 years of experience in the field.

But during the 14 deployments to Nauru and Manus Island, he saw levels of distress and demoralisation he had not seen before.

Since he first spoke about his findings he has had his contract cancelled and he could face legal proceedings under the Border Force Act.

Reprehensible reaction, just for shedding light on a glaring lack of humanity. You can just imagine the bile-inducing mechanical responses trotted out by the suits - "We do not discuss operational matters". Shameful.

BigDes

This is heartbreaking. They should crack this open. Appeal to the world. Bring out the shocking images and stories.

Australia needs to fuck off.

They have already brought it to the world. Unless allies are willing to throw down some serious sanctions (which they won't cause no one cares about poor brown and Asian people) Australia won't do a damn thing

Dryk

They have already brought it to the world. Unless allies are willing to throw down some serious sanctions (which they won't cause no one cares about poor brown and Asian people) Australia won't do a damn thing
The racism in the uneven application of international law infuriates me. What also infuriates me is that the scumbags who are supporting this will never be in a position where they need to rely on the Refugee Convention and they know it.

besada

Banned
Two things. If you think supporting torture and rape are a good idea here, you're mistaken.

Secondly, quit popping into these threads and trying to deflect from the discussion by pointing the finger at other countries. If you sincerely care about another issue in another country, go make a thread. The fact that my country has a heinous history -- much discussed, by the way -- does not alter your country's history one whit. If you'd like to discuss comparative atrocities throughout history, again, feel free to make a different thread.

The UN needs to put down some serious economic sanctions on Australia until they comply. Sadly I don't see it happening.

Nairume

Banned
Part of the crazy thing about the refugee situation on Nauru is that Australia almost forced the entire population of Nauru to leave the island due to the extreme level of damage done to the island from Australia/Britain's phosphate mining operations.

It's no wonder the people of Nauru refused to leave given how Australia treats other refugees.

mujun

I can't get over the fact there are around 450 refugees on the island.

Just fucking take them in Australia. For fuck's sake.

That the government would rather let shit like this happen rather than take them in boggles the mind.

I think every developed country just needs to take in any refugees. Do people really want to be slightly better off at the expense of other peoples lives and ability to have a decent standard of living.

Jesus fucking christ!

From the OP to people trying to deflect and/or defend, this is one fucking depressing read first thing in the morning. I gotta stop clicking on these threads. The news itself is bad enough but to have people try to pass it off as "well your country isnt doing much better" is genuinely depressing. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom