• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: "in December, Xbox One outsold PS4" NPD

Bazookaxp

Just want to link this tweet to give more context. I think Aaron would have been better off just ignoring people trying to turn it into some console war.

Last edited:

tkscz

Always good to hear a console is doing well, even if you're not interested in it. Though I find it funny how he worded the Switch selling the most.

dudu0609

Neo Member
I don't think it matters now.
PS4 is > 70M worldwide
Swithc is the fastest selling console for the first 10 months in US.

The market now is PS4 >> Xbox One > Switch and it will be settled at PS4 > Switch >> Xbox One till next gen comes out.

As a Xbox fan, it is kinda sad, but it is the lesson Microsoft must learn.

Outrun

I don't think it matters now.
PS4 is > 70M worldwide
Swithc is the fastest selling console for the first 10 months in US.

The market now is PS4 >> Xbox One > Switch and it will be settled at PS4 > Switch >> Xbox One till next gen comes out.

As a Xbox fan, it is kinda sad, but it is the lesson Microsoft must learn.

Yes it is.

Better for MS that they are posed for the next generation and have positive momentum.

Good for MS.

They're still some ways removed from their 360 glory years but they're coming back around to what made that generation great for them. Strong hardware, exclusives, and an active hand in bringing PC-like experiences to consoles.

Unknown?

Yes it is.

Better for MS that they are posed for the next generation and have positive momentum.
Positive momentum? You realize they had their worst year in the US so far and that’s not even counting worldwide? They sold 4.4M this year in the US which is the lowest of any full year on the market.

Meta4ickal

Neo Member
Positive momentum? You realize they had their worst year in the US so far and that’s not even counting worldwide? They sold 4.4M this year in the US which is the lowest of any full year on the market.
You are either trolling or misinformed.

“December was the biggest month ever for Xbox One sales in the US, and Xbox One was the only [current-generation] console with year-over-year growth, according to NPD,” a Microsoft spokesperson said.

“In addition, Xbox One was the top-selling console over the second half of 2016, following the announcement of Xbox One X at E3.”

Considering that even Nov NPD was basically a dead heat between both base consoles (S vs Slim) and that MS outsold PS 4/1 in the premium department (X vs Pro). It would impossible. Seeing as the PS4 is now on pace to break even its own record with the PS2. So if they are now basically in a dead heat in the US then your conclusion makes exactly zero sense. So either you or NPD is lying, Ill go with you. :p

Last edited:

Unknown?

Considering that even Nov NPD was basically a dead heat between both base consoles (S vs Slim) and that MS outsold PS 4/1 in the premium department (X vs Pro). It would impossible. Seeing as the PS4 is now on pace to break even its own record with the PS2. So if they are now basically in a dead heat in the US then your conclusion makes exactly zero sense. So either you or NPD is lying, Ill go with you. :p
Dude you quoted stuff from 2016 and while they sold more at the later half of 2016 they sold less the whole year. In 2017 they were down significantly from 2016 and even less than their previous low of 2014. This is all NPD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alebrije

Good, MS ready for next gen unless they screw 2018 not releasing new IPs, this gen is for Sony, but who cares since Switch, PS4 and XboneX are great consoles....only shareholders I guess.

Meta4ickal

Neo Member

“December was the biggest month ever for Xbox One sales in the US, and Xbox One was the only [current-generation] console with year-over-year growth, according to NPD,” a Microsoft spokesperson said.

“In addition, Xbox One was the top-selling console over the second half of 2016, following the announcement of Xbox One X at E3.”

Considering that even Nov NPD was basically a dead heat between both base consoles (S vs Slim) and that MS outsold PS 4/1 in the premium department (X vs Pro). It would impossible. Seeing as the PS4 is no pace to break even its own record with the PS2. So if they are now basically in a dead heat in the US then your conclusion makes exactly zero sense. So either you or NPD is lying, Ill go with you. :p
Dude you quoted stuff from 2016 and while they sold more at the later half of 2016 they sold less the whole year. In 2017 they were down significantly from 2016 and even less than their previous low of 2014. This is all NPD.

No actually thats brand new or obviously you cant read as well?

Source

Lorul2

Where are you getting “your” xbox sales numbers from ?!

Outrun

Xbox has been on a steady recovery for a couple of years now. OS, games (even though they still have lots to do), good sales, etc.. are proof of this.

Nothing they do this gen is going to reverse the sales issue.... but not everything that counts can be counted...

tryDEATH

The Xbox's main demographic is the USA and that is whom they will cater to the most. They were a couple of millions units behind the PS4, but the the One X will make up that lead in no time. The One X it self was a clear indication of that, they knew they were never going to move units in Asia and 4K is still very expensive in Europe. The only large market in the world that really can benefit from the One X is the USA. The race for global domination between Sony and Microsoft, was over before it even started when it comes to current gen. The people that still believe that Xbox One's "botched" reveal, price, or "lack" of exclusive games played a crucial role in the lackluster sales simply don't understand global markets and trends. A perfectly pitch Xbox might have increased sales by a potential 25%, but it would still have ended up far behind PS4.

Unknown?

No actually thats brand new or obviously you cant read as well?

Source

Your source is from January 2017. Look at the article date and your quote that clearly says it’s talking about 2016. 2017 was the first year they never won a monthly NPD at least once and in the early months it was down YOY by a lot with some barely over 100k.

December’s numbers are estimates based on percentages but no concrete numbers yet.

NPD totals through November are:

PS4: ~4.4m +1.1M(rough estimate) = 5.5M
SWI: ~3.4m + 1.5M(rough estimate) = 4.9M
XB1: ~2.9m +1.3M(rough estimate so far) in December = 4.2-4.3. Total for 2014 was 4.4 which was their previous low yearly NPD.

I’m not poo pooing them or downplaying their November and December success but people saying they have momentum over one month need a reality check.

chinoXL

good win if its true. good on Microsoft. the One X is a sick system, hope it can get momentum and exclusives to go along with all the PS4 ones i'll be grabbing this year :)

Not too bad MS. There is a market for them in the US if they want it, just gotta keep fighting. I'm glad there was such fierce backlash to their launch plans, it made them hungry just like Sony last gen.

Last edited:

Horns

Sounds like all three consoles continue to do well. I'm rooting for them all. Competition is what will keep prices low and force them to innovate.

Breakage

Microsoft official policy is to only mention the months they do good since the overall big picture is so bleak.
Damn, is that really the official policy at Microsoft? I can't remember a time when they've said how many Xboxes they've sold WW, so it wouldn't surprise me.
Has Microsoft even broken 50 million units yet?

Last edited:
Good for Microsoft. Personally, I will never buy another Microsoft console again after spending so much money on the Xbox 360 only to get the "red ring of death."

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
People. Just a quick note - not directed at any individuals - Let's avoid predicting that this thread (or others with a similar premise) will descend into fanboy-ism. It just allows a meta commentary to run inside the thread and quickly derails any positive or real discussion. Regardless of who you're rooting for, or the platform you're invested in gaming being in a healthy, viable state benefits us all.

After a short period of instability, most of the trolls have been weeded out and we're left with a quite mature community who we believe can actually discuss things from more than the polar opposites of the spectrum. Have fun ;)

Bolivar687

Banned
In all my years on this planet, never have I harbored [redacted by mod] for Aaron Greenberg.

mod edit: unacceptable and unnecessarily hateful comment. 1 week ban. Second instance in 24h.

Unity2012

This is definitely good news for all gamers. There are no winners or losers here, just a fair-necessary balance for the gaming community that will bring healthy competition and demand for better games and options in the future.

badboyyy

The Xbox's main demographic is the USA and that is whom they will cater to the most. They were a couple of millions units behind the PS4, but the the One X will make up that lead in no time. The One X it self was a clear indication of that, they knew they were never going to move units in Asia and 4K is still very expensive in Europe. The only large market in the world that really can benefit from the One X is the USA. The race for global domination between Sony and Microsoft, was over before it even started when it comes to current gen. The people that still believe that Xbox One's "botched" reveal, price, or "lack" of exclusive games played a crucial role in the lackluster sales simply don't understand global markets and trends. A perfectly pitch Xbox might have increased sales by a potential 25%, but it would still have ended up far behind PS4.

Say Whaaaaat? 4K is still expensive in Europe, no way dude, nowadays all TV's goes with 4K and isnt expensive for new TV. Xbox always had fans in USA/Europe, but main continent is USA and of course Xbox fans tells that Sony fans is crying babies, jeez when Sony wins a month, then Xbox fans in silence mode. I love healthy sales of all three brands.

BANGS

Banned
I bought the S last year and sold it a couple months later when I got bored of it. Not that it was bad or anything, just not my style. It's great to see all 3 companies kicking ass, and hopefully it translates to more great games and not just gimmickry!

I bought the S last year and sold it a couple months later when I got bored of it. Not that it was bad or anything, just not my style. It's great to see all 3 companies kicking ass, and hopefully it translates to more great games and not just gimmickry!

With so few games being exclusive anymore compared to previous generations, its just not the same to own them all as it used to be. With paid online subscriptions, it makes it even worse because I'm not buying them for all my consoles and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same. The reality ends up being that one is incapable of playing online and is for exclusives only, so it does feel like a bit of a waste to have around whichever one is least used doesn't it.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Yeah that's why I don't own Xbox. I kinda want a switch but I'm waiting for them to make their library a bit more worthwhile(and hopefully some price drops, at least for digital versions of games and the hardware).

With so few games being exclusive anymore compared to previous generations, its just not the same to own them all as it used to be. With paid online subscriptions, it makes it even worse because I'm not buying them for all my consoles and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same. The reality ends up being that one is incapable of playing online and is for exclusives only, so it does feel like a bit of a waste to have around whichever one is least used doesn't it.

What are you talking about? Sony and Nintendo have a shit load of exclusive games.

Blam

This is good info to hear, I want Xbox to get a leg up, and stop the train that is the PS4 Sales, which surprisingly is slowing down since the Switch is moving warehouses of switches.

What are you talking about? Sony and Nintendo have a shit load of exclusive games.

Don't get me wrong, they have a good amount yes and they cater more to my interests than MS, and those are my two primary systems because of that, but am I wrong that it pales in comparison to the generations of the past? PS1 and PS2 felt like they had a ton of exclusives.

According to wikipedia (Not sure about accuracy) PS4 has 71 exclusives, including announced but not released games, VR exclusives, and small digital titles & remasters that didn't exist prior to PS3. We're at about 20 full games give or take if you exclude those types and wikipedia is to be believed.

PS2 is listed as having 432 and PS1 as having 301.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

Say Whaaaaat? 4K is still expensive in Europe, no way dude, nowadays all TV's goes with 4K and isnt expensive for new TV. Xbox always had fans in USA/Europe, but main continent is USA and of course Xbox fans tells that Sony fans is crying babies, jeez when Sony wins a month, then Xbox fans in silence mode. I love healthy sales of all three brands.

Yeah, believe it or not they are still expensive. In the UK, mid-to-high end TV's cost as much as 1/3 more. Just see the price difference between the Sony 900e and LG C7 between Europe and USA and that is before we get into the financially weaker nations like Russia, Poland, Romania, Ukraine, and Balkans where they are not only much more expensive, but also get thrown way out of proportion, because of those countries standards of living, that they become unimaginably expensive.

In Croatia an LG C7 costs 29,000 Kuna = 4,740 USD that same TV in the USA costs 2,800 USD and once you take into consideration the standard of living your talking about an enormously expensive TV.

SwitchedOff

Banned
Let's try to debate in a polite manner, please.
Microsoft official policy is to only mention the months they do good since the overall big picture is so bleak.
Spoken like a braindead fanboy. MS is very open with their numbers during their quarterly earning reports.

JaxBriggs

This is good info to hear, I want Xbox to get a leg up, and stop the train that is the PS4 Sales, which surprisingly is slowing down since the Switch is moving warehouses of switches.

Did you mean to say "isn't" slowing down?

DTDyihvXkAAVcrM.jpg

In fairness to the competition, Sony were lacking a big exclusive over the holiday period. Just Gran Turismo Sport which was October and to be honest, quite poorly advertised. It normally kills the competition in the EU but at £17.99 new after three months in the market.... wowza. I think Polyphony might give GT a miss and try something different next.

Top Bottom