• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: "in December, Xbox One outsold PS4" NPD

I don't think it matters now.
PS4 is > 70M worldwide
Swithc is the fastest selling console for the first 10 months in US.

The market now is PS4 >> Xbox One > Switch and it will be settled at PS4 > Switch >> Xbox One till next gen comes out.

As a Xbox fan, it is kinda sad, but it is the lesson Microsoft must learn.
Pretty much this.

That and they've done a fantastic job of making sure I don't get another one since exclusives are the only reason I have one. Now that those are cross buy with win 10, we'll...

Raizing

Neo Member
Amazing to see the Xbox sell so well considering there's nothing to play on it apparently. Never will understand why some people are so emotionally invested in console sales though. So long as the console isn't a failure, that's about as much as I care about.

I'm actually grateful Xbox aren't coasting along in first place and hope it stays that way. X1 has only benefited from it's early negative press (that is in every area that actually matters - aside from sales) and has been steadily improving since launch. I don't expect 2018 will be any different. 2017 for Xbox was a mediocre year for the amount of 1st/2nd party software but excellent for hardware and features, now it's time for them to bring the games.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
PS4 is > 70M worldwide

The market now is PS4 >> Xbox One > Switch and it will be settled at PS4 > Switch >> Xbox One till next gen comes out.

You mean Switch >>> PS4 > Xbox One, right? That thing is going to outsell PS4 for sure.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Pretty much this.

That and they've done a fantastic job of making sure I don't get another one since exclusives are the only reason I have one. Now that those are cross buy with win 10, we'll...

Are you saying Microsoft messed up because you're buying their software on windows 10 now?

Amazing to see the Xbox sell so well considering there's nothing to play on it apparently. Never will understand why some people are so emotionally invested in console sales though. So long as the console isn't a failure, that's about as much as I care about.

I'm actually grateful Xbox aren't coasting along in first place and hope it stays that way. X1 has only benefited from it's early negative press (that is in every area that actually matters - aside from sales) and has been steadily improving since launch. I don't expect 2018 will be any different. 2017 for Xbox was a mediocre year for the amount of 1st/2nd party software but excellent for hardware and features, now it's time for them to bring the games.

Dont be too surprised. Its similar psychology to people having favorite sports teams. Theres no real rhyme or reason for that either other than maybe geographical influences.

Goalus

Does the misspelling of Aaron's family name in the thread title mean the OP could no longer control his salt levels, since the information in the tweet is not what he was hoping for?

Not Drake

Glad to see the console market healthy and with a steady momentum. Xbox One deals were great and with PUBG added it could get some units moved.

One thing is pretty damn interesting tho. Xbox didn't win a single month in their strongest market in 2017. I bet it's a first since OG Xbox days. Anyone can confirm?

Parapraxis

Just want to link this tweet to give more context. I think Aaron would have been better off just ignoring people trying to turn it into some console war.

Haha, yes, because Greenberg NEVER did anything trollish or to stoke console war bullshit. That he attracts negativity and console war crap is his own doing.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Good to know I'm not around here much at all..but, another bum on ignore list for life .
I didn’t troll anything and gave numbers. :/ People here will claim something has momentum or has bombed based on insufficient data. I’m glad they didn’t bomb for the holidays but the rest of their year was pretty terrible.

Artistic

Would have to guess units sold. Just don't remember if they said Xbox had the highest revenue for November 2017 or Black Friday pertaining XB1 sales.

TauntingZ

Neo Member

The first sentence you wrote i will never understand. People are acting like they only play exclusives on their machine, while like 95% of the games released every year are multiplatform. Look at the past few months... almost no exclusives from sony and microsoft, but big multiplatform games like destiny 2, codww2, battlefront 2, assasins creed origins, shadows of war and not to mention all the sports games. Ofcourse Nintendo was hitting big with the release of Mario, but other then that i bet that most gamers were playing multiplatforms last few months.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
The first sentence you wrote i will never understand. People are acting like they only play exclusives on their machine, while like 95% of the games released every year are multiplatform. Look at the past few months... almost no exclusives from sony and microsoft, but big multiplatform games like destiny 2, codww2, battlefront 2, assasins creed origins, shadows of war and not to mention all the sports games. Ofcourse Nintendo was hitting big with the release of Mario, but other then that i bet that most gamers were playing multiplatforms last few months.
Just look at the list of top games played per platform over the last few months, it’s all third party games. Console games top 10 most played is becoming more and more like PC, multiplayer and free to play.

Bazookaxp

Haha, yes, because Greenberg NEVER did anything trollish or to stoke console war bullshit. That he attracts negativity and console war crap is his own doing.

From what I have seen the leadership at Xbox have all been fairly civil and celebrated the industries success of all their competitor's. Has Aaron been perfect no. However to view every post these people make through a console cannot lens gets us no where but fighting among ourselves over plastic.

I would also like to say this is why gaf is a much better place now after the moderation team has cracked down on console warriors and have allowed us to have a mature discussion about these topics without getting into the weeds.

Also loving gaf 2.0 features.

Hilarion

PS4 is > 70M worldwide

Do we have any idea what the XB1's life to date worldwide is? I know it's somewhere in the 30 million range, but can we get any more exact than that? Do we think it's closer to 30 or 40?

radewagon

This is definitely good news for all gamers. There are no winners or losers here, just a fair-necessary balance for the gaming community that will bring healthy competition and demand for better games and options in the future.

Exactly. I got a One X in December. It's the first Xbox console I've ever owned (always been a Sony user and have PSone thru PS4Pro along with the PSP and Vita). I really like the system so far and I now desperately want Sony to get off their cloud and do some serious work on bringign backwards compatibility back to Playstation consoles. Hopefully Microsoft coming back a little will force Sony to at least consider some support for disc based BC.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Good, MS ready for next gen unless they screw 2018 not releasing new IPs, this gen is for Sony, but who cares since Switch, PS4 and XboneX are great consoles....only shareholders I guess.

Don’t forget fanboys :)

Are you saying Microsoft messed up because you're buying their software on windows 10 now?
Yes and no. On the one hand it gives me a different avenue to buy the games more frequently. On the other it means I don't need to get an Xbox after this, which means one or two fewer units sold (even though it's not typically the thing they make money on).

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Yes and no. On the one hand it gives me a different avenue to buy the games more frequently. On the other it means I don't need to get an Xbox after this, which means one or two fewer units sold (even though it's not typically the thing they make money on).

But then if you own a PC powerful enough to run all games at a level higher than that of consoles, would you really buy a PS4 for only a few exclusives when you have so many games to play on PC?

Out of everyone I know, only 2 people have so far, which leads me to believe that releasing games on PC as well as on Xbox One doesn't make much of a difference for MS as people who play on PC at the high end will usually only play on PC and nothing else. And their most likely 2nd purchase would usually be a Nintendo console imo.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I think they probably need to drop the price for the S for good.

Yes the S should be £149/$199 with a game.
They will probably take a hit but it would be worth it just to get xbox's in people's homes so going into next gen the lead PS4 isnt as big as it could be.

But then if you own a PC powerful enough to run all games at a level higher than that of consoles, would you really buy a PS4 for only a few exclusives when you have so many games to play on PC?

Out of everyone I know, only 2 people have so far, which leads me to believe that releasing games on PC as well as on Xbox One doesn't make much of a difference for MS as people who play on PC at the high end will usually only play on PC and nothing else. And their most likely 2nd purchase would usually be a Nintendo console imo.
Yes. Is that hard to believe?

The only Xbox exclusives I've ever cared about were random things like KI, Cuphead and Crackdown (assuming 3 doesn't turn out like crap). I can take or leave Halo, I don't particularly care or follow it enough to buy a console based solely on that.

On Playstation, just this gen it's been Uncharted, God of War, will now be Horizon, Gravity Rush, Infamous just to name a few. Then there are some Japanese games that end up only on Playstation (or get a port to Xbox for the west) or get a PC port that is by most accounts terrible. For the rest of the third party titles that I end up getting and have a PC port, I either get a super discount on the console one or, in the current case of fighting games, I end up with the PC version so I'm not locked to a console forever.

NicknameMy

Neo Member
Same question to you. PS4 is the best selling console worlwide in 2017. And both the PS4 and Xbox One S will get cheaper in the future. What makes you think PS4 sales are going to fall of a cliff suddenly?

Because the Switch targets a wider market than the PS4 because it has multiple ways to be played. The Switch is basically selling as fast as the DS in Japan while selling as fast as the PS2 in USA. That is unheard of.

The PS4 lacks the attention of the handheld gaming crowd and it isn't a real secondary console to PC either, the Switch fullfills both those aspects better. Plus, the Switch will also get cheaper in the future as the Tegra line develops further and further, making the production costs cheaper.

Malcolm9

Because the Switch targets a wider market than the PS4 because it has multiple ways to be played. The Switch is basically selling as fast as the DS in Japan while selling as fast as the PS2 in USA. That is unheard of.

The PS4 lacks the attention of the handheld gaming crowd and it isn't a real secondary console to PC either, the Switch fullfills both those aspects better. Plus, the Switch will also get cheaper in the future as the Tegra line develops further and further, making the production costs cheaper.

Yet most PC owners usually own a PS4 if they have a console. As good as the Switch is it doesn't have the diversity of games the PS4 right now, plus it's more expensive than a standard PS4.

Last edited:
From what I have seen the leadership at Xbox have all been fairly civil and celebrated the industries success of all their competitor's. Has Aaron been perfect no. However to view every post these people make through a console cannot lens gets us no where but fighting among ourselves over plastic.

I would also like to say this is why gaf is a much better place now after the moderation team has cracked down on console warriors and have allowed us to have a mature discussion about these topics without getting into the weeds.

Also loving gaf 2.0 features.

Microsoft leadership dropped the console war rhetoric when they realised there's no way they are winning this generation. Same way that they stopped buying exclusives when it became obvious for publishers they will be losing 2/3 of potential customer base.

Bazookaxp

Microsoft leadership dropped the console war rhetoric when they realised there's no way they are winning this generation. Same way that they stopped buying exclusives when it became obvious for publishers they will be losing 2/3 of potential customer base.

That is incorrect, it stopped when Phil took over as head of Xbox.

Caio

PS4 is > 70M worldwide

I would say "it will be settled PS4 >> Switch >> XBox One", fixed.

Sosokrates

I would say "it will be settled PS4 >> Switch >> XBox One", fixed.

You think the switch will outsell the xbox one by the time xbox next comes?

I guess it is possible if the switch continues its high sales and X1 sales decline.
However I dont think that is likely giving the upward trajectory xbox one is on.

Sosokrates

Well phil was head of games for x360 & we seen how the last few years of that turned out lol....

If phil and co have not figured out they need to improve the Exclusives situation
I wont be the happiest xbox ownet

However if the rumours are true and they have the coalition make a perfect dark and playground doing a fable, my happiness level will shoot straight back up .

Ms needs big single player games.

Hilarion

You think the switch will outsell the xbox one by the time xbox next comes?

I guess it is possible if the switch continues its high sales and X1 sales decline.
However I dont think that is likely giving the upward trajectory xbox one is on.

Probably not, sure, but the Switch will outsell the XB1 by the time the Switch is retired. I thought the poster you were responding to was comparing lifetime of all three systems, in which case PS4 >> Switch >> XB1 seems pretty reasonable. Something like PS4 120 million, Switch 80 million, XB1 45 million lifetime at the end of each of their lifespans is totally believable to me.

Sosokrates

Probably not, sure, but the Switch will outsell the XB1 by the time the Switch is retired. I thought the poster you were responding to was comparing lifetime of all three systems, in which case PS4 >> Switch >> XB1 seems pretty reasonable. Something like PS4 120 million, Switch 80 million, XB1 45 million lifetime at the end of each of their lifespans is totally believable to me.

Oh I see its for each systems individual lifetime. In that case, the switch might do better overall depending on how long until the next Nintendo system.
45 million x1's lifetime seems very tame if we consider the current install base of the x1 is roughly 35 million. That would mean the X1 would have to sell less in the next 3yrs Compared to the last 3 yrs and givern things like back compat improved services and features and the launch of the 1X I dont know what reasons are causing you to predict such weak sales for the X1 in the next 3 yrs or so.

Last edited:

JaxBriggs

@ JaxBriggs JaxBriggs why don't you read your own article?

"if we sell less consoles that the other guys, that's cool,"

You're arguing that Microsoft leadership dropped the console war rhetoric when Phil took the top job. I was showing you an interview where Phil was explaining that MS are in it to WIN the generation. I.e, you are wrong.

To be fair they did drop that sort of behaviour shortly after that interview was given, probably when they (and everyone else) realised there was no way MS was 'winning' this current generation against the PS4.

Last edited:
While this is a good showing for Microsoft, it was also the Xbox One X launch period so sales probably should have been higher than usual. I'll be interested to see whether any momentum has been gained or whether sales will contract again for MS after Christmas.

If I was a gambling man, I'd wager that sales will contract (below the PS4) and we'll see an Xbox One X price drop in the next three months (or a SKU of the X with a bundled game).

Last edited:

Bazookaxp

You're arguing that Microsoft leadership dropped the console war rhetoric when Phil took the top job. I was showing you an interview where Phil was explaining that MS are in it to WIN the generation. I.e, you are wrong.

To be fair they did drop that sort of behaviour shortly after that interview was given, probably when they (and everyone else) realised there was no way MS was 'winning' this current generation against the PS4.
No saying that you would like to sell the most but if you don't it's no big deal is not being in a console war. Reading comprehension is key here for you good sir.

Also I am done talking to you on this topic.

Kid Ying

Good to see all three consoles do well.
I'm happy too, but i'm surprised Switch sold the most. After last month where both consoles sold better than it, i expected to see it continuing that way.

Anyway, i'm happy with what we got. No one can complain, everyone did well and that's good for everyone.

Top Bottom