• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABZÛ |OT| A Journey into an ocean of wisdom

Vire

Is that really the time? Damn. I was gonna wait until reviews came out before deciding on preordering. Looks like that won't be possible now, as the preorder price will be gone.
The art director and composer of Journey was enough for a blind purchase, plus everything I've seen looks so splendid and relaxing. Can't imagine this does poorly critically, but I guess I could be wrong.

*Just a reminder to everyone*

Review copies are out and spoilers will be out there as well.

This is a game that is meant to be experienced, so if any major part of that experience is spoiled or ruined for the player - it destroys the whole.

Please everyone, no posting of spoilers in here and I would advocate that there shouldn't be a spoiler thread either. Let's keep this clean and natural and just wait for the experience next week and enjoy the ride :)

NateDrake

*Just a reminder to everyone*

Review copies are out and spoilers will be out there as well.

This is a game that is meant to be experienced, so if any major part of that experience is spoiled or ruined for the player - it destroys the whole.

Please everyone, no posting of spoilers in here and I would advocate that there shouldn't be a spoiler thread either. Let's keep this clean and natural and just wait for the experience next week and enjoy the ride :)
Footage prior to release can't show anything beyond Zone 2. So there is a strict restriction in place.

uceenk

i love ocean in real life (my kind of sport is watersport)

however i never enjoyed Endless Ocean (wii game), while the graphic and music were fantastic, the gameplay itself was really boring

i definetly want to try another "diving simulation" genre, hope ABZU gameplay mechanic would get me hooked, so is there any chance if they put a demo or something ?

Vire

i love ocean in real life (my kind of sport is watersport)

however i never enjoyed Endless Ocean (wii game), while the graphic and music were fantastic, the gameplay itself was really boring

i definetly want to try another "diving simulation" genre, hope ABZU gameplay mechanic would get me hooked, so is there any chance if they put a demo or something ?
It's a relatively short game from what I understand. I highly doubt they would put out a demo for an indie title and one that can be most likely completed in one sitting.

I want to share this with everyone.

I feel like this is something that anyone on earth could empathize with. I'm sharing this particular personal moment with you all, because I have faith that all of my Neogaf brothers and sisters can find similar feelings within themselves to be able to visualize a moment in thier lives like this - so that they too, can have the same epiphany/catharsis for a brief moment, that I had. I tell you this with no hyperbole intended - I'm just sharing with you what I felt:

This morning when I woke up [more like this afternoon], I checked this thread and saw that Austin Wintory had put up the link to pre-order the ABZÛ soundtrack - I was elated! I got dressed, grabbed a cigarette and went out on my front porch to enjoy it. As I shut the door behind me, I hit play - and this is what I experienced.

There were two rabbits in my front yard frolicking around, and dragonflies were buzzing around in the bushes in front of me. The sky was clear blue, with a handful of large, fluffy clouds - much like the ones in ABZÛ. Birds occasionally flitted about here and there and some children were playing down the street. As the music started, all of this hit me at once and I got completely lost in it.

My thoughts drifted from one to the next; I started thinking about the love of my life, Annalise Pierce and how I had lost her. I thought about how much I miss her and how I hope that she is happy. I thought about my mother passing away, and how hard that must be for my father. He's been alone after all this time and even though he puts up a stoic front about it, I know he must feel incomplete and broken inside. I thought about all the hate and injustice in the world; but also about how peaceful I felt. Even though it was very hot outside, the wind kept blowing and cooling me off - caressing through my hair and making my shirt crackle in it.

My thoughts then drifted back at the end of the song to Lisie - I don't love her just because she's beautiful, or because she was my Soulmate or even because we had everything in common - I love her because she sang a song that only I could hear.

It was a beautiful ride.

"To Know, Water" sings to me and it let me know that everything is going to be alright.

ABZÛ is going to be amazing. If the whole soundtrack can do as much for all of you as this first track did for me; then we're all in for quite a ride.

Kudos Austin Wintory.

32iW8iL.gif

NateDrake

So everything we've so far is only from the first 2 zones?

I wonder how long the game will be. Journey was 7/8 chapters/sections
If a Shark meditation statue is in each zone, then it looks like it should be about 9 zones. I'm not 100% on that as I'd need to check the exact number of spaces from the main menu.

So I ready you get a PS4 theme for the game when you pre-order it?

Anyone have a picture or vid of the theme? Wondering if it's dynamic, or has music with it.

NateDrake

So everything we've so far is only from the first 2 zones?

I wonder how long the game will be. Journey was 7/8 chapters/sections

Yes, so far you shouldn't have seen anything beyond Zone 2. My footage doesn't even go up to the end of Zone 2.

Okay, this should be the exact stuff in terms of chapters/zones.
6 Zones.

I'm excited to try this, but man can't decide if I should go PS4 for graphics or PC for future replays.

PS4 for everything and double-dip on PC just because ;)

Yes, so far you shouldn't have seen anything beyond Zone 2. My footage doesn't even go up to the end of Zone 2.

Okay, this should be the exact stuff in terms of chapters/zones.
6 Zones.

What media outlet do you work for?

Just wondering :)

I don't have that kind of money ;-;

Lol!

Most of us don't - I would just like to see gamers/Journey fans strongly support this game; so that Giant Squid can make another innovative, emotionally-charged experience with a new IP that we can all enjoy :)

Do you have a PS4?

NEO0MJ

Do you have a PS4?

Yep, though I like to buy my games on Steam so I can have them in a permanent large collection. Future-proofing my library, basically. Unless a game is PS4 exclusive that's where I usually buy my games now. Unless it's too much for my laptop like this case.

Yep, though I like to buy my games on Steam so I can have them in a permanent large collection. Future-proofing my library, basically. Unless a game is PS4 exclusive that's where I usually buy my games now. Unless it's too much for my laptop like this case.

I understand that logic.

I would go PS4 then, because aside from extreme resolutions above 1080p; you're going to get all of the same content + all of the bells and whistles.

JonnyKong

When are the reviews coming?

I'm starting to worry that I won't get Hyper Light Drifter completed before this comes out. It will kill me not getting to play this day one alongside the rest of the world.

I know I could just stop playing Drifter and come back to it, but my weird gaming ocd won't allow that.

Atrophis

Great choice!

Please, spread the word! Share your excitement for ABZÛ!

I work with a bunch of gamers. They're great because they are always open to trying new indie games. We've all just been playing Inside and I had a great time seeing everyones reactions to the ending.

Needless to say I've spread the love about ABZU so thats hopefully four copies sold.

Argh I want to like this game but I want to see more impressions too. Also embargo ending just after the promotion is kind of a bummer :/

Why such practices? Seriously in what way this is a good thing? I mean if you want to trick some people ok but if you're confident in your product then don't act like a greedy b*tch :/

don't know... I'm about to pul the trigger since I enjoyed so much Journey and Flower. It's really my kind of games, Flower is one of my favorite game of last gen.

Chû Totoro;211547991 said:
Argh I want to like this game but I want to see more impressions too. Also embargo ending just after the promotion is kind of a bummer :/

Why such practices? Seriously in what way this is a good thing? I mean if you want to trick some people ok but if you're confident in your product then don't act like a greedy b*tch :/

don't know... I'm about to pul the trigger since I enjoyed so much Journey and Flower. It's really my kind of games, Flower is one of my favorite game of last gen.

As far as I've heard, the promotion lasts until August 23rd.

Check my link to the PlayStation Play 2016 Promotion in the OP.

Mdk7

Can't fucking wait, it's my most wanted 2016 release along with Cuphead (which won't be out in 2016, I fear).

Thanks for reading all that.

I have always loved music and for some reason certain songs connect with me in ways that most people wouldn't understand or comprehend. The thing with me is, when I hear a beautiful song, an energetic song or an action theme, etc. - I always think of what I would be doing with those songs [as my soundtrack], or if it's a particularly emotional piece of music - like "To Know, Water" - it makes me very nostalgic and retrospective.

I feel very proud that I have that ability and it allows me to enjoy music to it's full potential.

As far as I've heard, the promotion lasts until August 23rd.

Check my link to the PlayStation Play 2016 Promotion in the OP.

Oh thanks.

This said my little rant was done and I guess it was what I needed to make me feel ok to buy it :p
I'll enjoy it for sure but hoping it's as good as Journey / Flower. So already bought too :D

Edit: still saying Aug. 2nd on PS Store

He was talking about the pre-order discount, which looks like it ends before the reviews hit, which is a total bullshit practice.

The way it seems, is that in the fine print, the pre-order period ends August 1st at midnight - but you still have until August 23rd to get that 20% discount. If I'm wrong on this, someone that's in-the-know should clarify lol!

The way it seems, is that in the fine print, the pre-order period ends August 1st at midnight - but you still have until August 23rd to get that 20% discount. If I'm wrong on this, someone that's in-the-know should clarify lol!

There are two 20% discounts. One is the pre-order discount which ends before the embargo, and the other is for buying two games which gets you a 20% coupon for future use. The latter runs until the 23rd, but the former ending before reviews hit is really poor.

Matt Frost

He was talking about the pre-order discount, which looks like it ends before the reviews hit, which is a total bullshit practice.

Every game on that "pre-order for a 20% discount" ends the day before the game is released. Thats why is a pre-order offer, kind of makes sense :p

Yeah it's shady marketing practices 101 here but maybe Deckard Chapel is right... anyway bought for me.

not really on topic but I'm more hesitating for No Man's Sky since it's a full priced game and it may be cheaper in a few months. But will probably buy it during the launch week if good impressions from gaffers :p

Edit: >> post above >> it make sense regarding the description of the promotion but it doesn't make sense for consumers. Buy my thing when you don't know a lot about it or get punished for waiting impressions ?!?
But we should come back to discuss the game anyway. A such peaceful game's topic shouldn't be a place to discuss such practices ;)
(sorry if I brought back the thing in the first place)

Matt Frost

Chû Totoro;211552923 said:
Edit: >> post above >> it make sense regarding the description of the promotion but it doesn't make sense for consumers. Buy my thing when you don't know a lot about it or get punished for waiting impressions ?!?
But we should come back to discuss the game anyway. A such peaceful game's topic shouldn't be a place to discuss such practices ;)
(sorry if I brought back the thing in the first place)

If you dont trust your gut or feel that something is off you can always wait for a sale. Or... you know, buy it at full price... is just 4$ more... thats nothing.

I know they end before the game is released, my issue is that they end before the review embargo.

You can always trust your gut or wait for a sale. Or buy it after the review embargo. Pre-order sales are for fans and people who dont care about reviews anyways...

Kaversmed

I've pre-ordered on PS4, any way to get the pre-order static theme now or will it only be available when the game is released?

You can always trust your gut or wait for a sale. Or buy it after the review embargo. Pre-order sales are for fans and people who dont care about reviews anyways...

I can live without it, I guess. I'm really not one to support shitty anti-consumer practices like this, however minor they are in the grand scheme of things.

We shouldn't be telling companies like Sony that this kind of thing is okay.

WITHE1982

Just saw the first 2 minutes of the PS Access gameplay and I AM SOLD. How come I didn't know or hear about this game before now? It looks absolutely amazing.

*Opens new tab and pre-orders ABZU*

Ditto. I'm a big fan of the Access team and generally trust their judgement. After seeing their gameplay video I immediately pre-ordered.

As a massive Journey, Flower and Flow fan I'm looking forward to being engulfed by ABZU.

Matt Frost

I can live without it, I guess. I'm really not one to support shitty anti-consumer practices like this, however minor they are in the grand scheme of things.

We shouldn't be telling companies like Sony that this kind of thing is okay.

People who wait for reviews and other's opinions instead of trusting their own judment and gut from reading and watching videos about it, pay full price. People that buy it before launch gets rewarded. I think is great.

Top Bottom