• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABZÛ |OT| A Journey into an ocean of wisdom

Matt Frost

Just learned about ABZÛ... three videos and I preordered. From the main people that made Journey. This and the videos is what I needed to made my mind about it. Cant wait for the second of august. Epic month with this and No Man's Sky

Just learned about ABZÛ... three videos and I preordered. From the main people that made Journey. This and the videos is what I needed to made my mind about it. Cant wait for the second of august. Epic month with this and No Man's Sky

I was sold on ABZÛ from the initial reveal during Sony's presser at E3 2014. All I heard was Matt Nava from thatgamecompany was the Creative Director - and then I found out in an interview that same E3, that Austin Wintory was back composing the score.

Day. One.

Matt Frost

I was sold on ABZÛ from the initial reveal during Sony's presser at E3 2014. All I heard was Matt Nava from thatgamecompany was the Creative Director - and then I found out in an interview that same E3, that Austin Wintory was back composing the score.

Day. One.

Wow 2014! I learned about it... yesterday! (I heard the name on the NMS thread a couple of times but was too lazy to check it out xD) Lucky me since it comes out next week, deals a lot better for my hype...

The other day I was thinking "what happened to ThatGameCompany?" you cant just dissappear after making a game like Journey, is highly unlikely.... here is my answer :)

...and Deus Ex. ;)

Nah, that game is not for me, and too many games on my plate now (Song of the Deep, Hyper Light Drifter, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Uncharted 4, No Man's Sky, ABZÛ then Final Fantasy XV,...)

Karak

I sat down for an hour on video with Austin Wintory for a discussion about all things composing on my channel ACG. I don't do interviews like most others, we just sit and randomly about the industry/inspiration talk and I ask questions when needed, its very casual and we discuss everything from how he works, to DNA, and then suddenly we are talking about film composing.

Inside the video at various times he plays never before heard music from Abzu, ME theme music, music themes he loves, and other bits.

While it was on skype for the most part the music can be heard which was nice despite skype's normally terrible audio.

Austin Wintory Interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dazgw0l3Uk

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I sat down for an hour on video with Austin Wintory for a discussion about all things composing on my channel ACG. I don't do interviews like most others, we just sit and randomly about the industry/inspiration talk and I ask questions when needed, its very casual and we discuss everything from how he works, to DNA, and then suddenly we are talking about film composing.

Inside the video at various times he plays never before heard music from Abzu, ME theme music, music themes he loves, and other bits.

While it was on skype for the most part the music can be heard which was nice despite skype's normally terrible audio.

Austin Wintory Interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dazgw0l3Uk

Nice, will listen in my office soon.

FYI all the album the is now available for pre-order, if you're interested

https://austinwintory.bandcamp.com/album/abz

AND here's the first proper preview of my score to ABZU, including a glimpse at the recording sessions in Nashville and London

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kt7xELgPgs

Beautiful. Pre-ordering the game in a few moments, and this is going to be so good on my sound system!

Matush

AND here's the first proper preview of my score to ABZU, including a glimpse at the recording sessions in Nashville and London

mRCtTR1.gif

FYI all the album the is now available for pre-order, if you're interested

https://austinwintory.bandcamp.com/album/abz

Incredible. It's sublime. Perfection.

Perfection and sublime aren't nearly strong enough words to describe it, really. I like it even better than the Journey theme - not even joking.

Pre-ordering digital and double-dipping on the physical!

Karak

Nice, will listen in my office soon.

Ya it was fantastic sitting and talking then suddenly Austin is like "hey boom let me play" and the next thing I knew we were playing Abzu, ME themes, Monoco, and all manner of stuff.
Easily the most enjoyable discussion about games I have had. And I have had some whoppers with folks.

What was also good is that Austin broke down many choices he made for various games even Abzu explaining his decision to go with the prompts he chose and the instruments. Insanely knowledgeable discussion.

"To Know, Water" is amazing! I keep listening to it and it never gets old! If the whole soundtrack keeps that theme and quality, it's going to be a legendary soundtrack - one the greatest of all time!

Can we get this man a Grammy please??

ChanMan

I just went from interest at zero to 100 in a matter of minutes of reading this thread. I forgot all about this game and been putting it off but after looking at that music trailer there is no way I can ignore this game. As a person who just loves the ocean and always had a slight passion to be a Marine Biologist at one point in my life, I think I have to plunge day one on getting this game. Also, hearing that a few guys that were behind Journey helped make this game has me excited. :D

I just went from interest at zero to 100 in a matter of minutes of reading this thread. I forgot all about this game and been putting it off but after looking at that music trailer there is no way I can ignore this game. As a person who just loves the ocean and always had a slight passion to be a Marine Biologist at one point in my life, I think I have to plunge day one on getting this game. Also, hearing that a few guys that were behind Journey helped make this game has me excited. :D

This.

This is why I made this thread :)

I'm glad you are on board the hype-boat for ABZÛ!

Oh I forgot to mention - the OP/forthcoming OT is best viewed using the "Dark" theme with YouTube embedded. It's a lot more atmospheric and media elements pop with far superior presentation.

Kaversmed

Just saw the first 2 minutes of the PS Access gameplay and I AM SOLD. How come I didn't know or hear about this game before now? It looks absolutely amazing.

*Opens new tab and pre-orders ABZU*

Just saw the first 2 minutes of the PS Access gameplay and I AM SOLD. How come I didn't know or hear about this game before now? It looks absolutely amazing.

*Opens new tab and pre-orders ABZU*

That's the spirit!

As I've mentioned previously, what you said is exactly why I made this thread. There's no way that this game deserves to fly under the radar and become merely a "sleeper hit".

It's going to be a moving, emotionally-driven Magnum Opus - an interactive work of art; both in it's presentation as well as it's aural soundscape.

Matt Nava, Austin Wintory and the talented team at Giant Squid are going to blow us out of the water with ABZÛ, so to speak ;)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Damn that score sounds great. Its weird, it sounds like almost what I was expecting? Not in a bad way, its incredibly fitting and makes the scenes really into something magical. Next week can't come soon enough!

hydruxo

The music is fantastic. It's really joyful sounding but also mysterious and foreign. Perfect for exploring the ocean.

kevin1025

Banned
Just preordered. I have been on a complete blackout since the reveal trailer two years back and GIF's here and there. I am ultra excited to dive into this one (sorry, had to).

I want to share this with everyone.

I feel like this is something that anyone on earth could empathize with. I'm sharing this particular personal moment with you all, because I have faith that all of my Neogaf brothers and sisters can find similar feelings within themselves to be able to visualize a moment in thier lives like this - so that they too, can have the same epiphany/catharsis for a brief moment, that I had. I tell you this with no hyperbole intended - I'm just sharing with you what I felt:

This morning when I woke up [more like this afternoon], I checked this thread and saw that Austin Wintory had put up the link to pre-order the ABZÛ soundtrack - I was elated! I got dressed, grabbed a cigarette and went out on my front porch to enjoy it. As I shut the door behind me, I hit play - and this is what I experienced.

There were two rabbits in my front yard frolicking around, and dragonflies were buzzing around in the bushes in front of me. The sky was clear blue, with a handful of large, fluffy clouds - much like the ones in ABZÛ. Birds occasionally flitted about here and there and some children were playing down the street. As the music started, all of this hit me at once and I got completely lost in it.

My thoughts drifted from one to the next; I started thinking about the love of my life, Annalise Pierce and how I had lost her. I thought about how much I miss her and how I hope that she is happy. I thought about my mother passing away, and how hard that must be for my father. He's been alone after all this time and even though he puts up a stoic front about it, I know he must feel incomplete and broken inside. I thought about all the hate and injustice in the world; but also about how peaceful I felt. Even though it was very hot outside, the wind kept blowing and cooling me off - caressing through my hair and making my shirt crackle in it.

My thoughts then drifted back at the end of the song to Lisie - I don't love her just because she's beautiful, or because she was my Soulmate or even because we had everything in common - I love her because she sang a song that only I could hear.

It was a beautiful ride.

"To Know, Water" sings to me and it let me know that everything is going to be alright.

ABZÛ is going to be amazing. If the whole soundtrack can do as much for all of you as this first track did for me; then we're all in for quite a ride.

Kudos Austin Wintory.

CHC

Absolutely amazing soundtrack preview - truly. I really enjoyed seeing the actual musicians as well. Too often we forget the people and the spaces that make those sounds come to fruition.

If anyone is looking to have an eye & ear, or just an ear orgasm tonight, here is 20mins of gameplay footage and musical greatness for your pleasure: https://youtu.be/xfgILH1GHEw

Oh thank god, it doesn't have the buffoon from the previous footage constantly talking over it. This is the way the game should be shown! Assuming it's still rendering though because.... that 360p!

NateDrake

Absolutely amazing soundtrack preview - truly. I really enjoyed seeing the actual musicians as well. Too often we forget the people and the spaces that make those sounds come to fruition.

Oh thank god, it doesn't have the buffoon from the previous footage constantly talking over it. This is the way the game should be shown! Assuming it's still rendering though because.... that 360p!
Still rendering. 1080/60fps goodness once it's done rendering.

Top Bottom