• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABZÛ |OT| A Journey into an ocean of wisdom

Kinda curious about this one. It looks very nice, so I'll probably pick it up.

There's already someone doing a Let's play for it on YouTube. Kinda like that it's not really forcing you to move quick and you can just explore.

Yeah, it's really cool that you can move at any pace you want. You can spend as long as you like in any space in the game, so you can take a mellow, leisurely pace, or speed-through it if you are so inclined. I myself want to take in all of the beautiful scenery and atmosphere - I'll probably end up spending 10 or more hours on my first playthrough lol!

Nameless

A Journey-esque narrative experience underwater sounds great and all, but I'm more excited about the simulation elements. Exploring an unscripted procedural ecology, discovering new creatures, and just watching 'nature' take its course around me.

A Journey-esque narrative experience underwater sounds great and all, but I'm more excited about the simulation elements. Exploring an unscripted procedural ecology, discovering new creatures, and just watching 'nature' take its course around me.

Same here.

I love the ocean, but the "afraid of the ocean" part of me is excited to see what horrors lurk at the very bottom of the abyss.

I'm hoping for some truly massive creatures that terrify as well as mesmerize!

kanuuna

Has there been any information on the framerate / resolution on PS4, plus surround sound support?
PlayStation Store displays "HDTV screen resolution: 720p 1080i" under the requirements bit, though I'd hesitate to make any conclusions based on that. I saw a trailer that was out was 1080p 60hz, but then again the title is headed to PC, too.

I'm sold on this game, but I just don't know if I want this on PC or PS4. If 5.1 support is in, I'll definitely go for the couch experience.

Nameless

Same here.

I love the ocean, but the "afraid of the ocean" part of me is excited to see what horrors lurk at the very bottom of the abyss.

I'm hoping for some truly massive creatures that terrify as well as mesmerize!

Not sure I'm ready for the sort of deep sea abominations featured in THIS THREAD

pv0FwF3.jpg
06190344421844.gif

CHC

cant wait for this, love underwater games, and as we speak, im playing Soma, and i can surely use a change of scenery from this depressive bleak abyss im in, currently..

Oh jesus I love SOMA but I couldn't think of a more hellish take on "underwater" than theirs. Abzu will be like a beautiful vacation after that.

AWintory

Neo Member
Thanks all for the really kind comments and interest in the game! Been working on it for a long time and really excited to share. Only a week-ish to go!! :)

finalflame

Thanks all for the really kind comments and interest in the game! Been working on it for a long time and really excited to share. Only a week-ish to go!! :)

Was really awesome to play the game at PSX, one of the standout moments for me of the event, moreso than all the AAA stuff. I am very excited to purcahse it on day 1! Also really really hope you guys are able to do a vinyl release for the soundtrack :)

Ferr986

Didn't know you had a GAF account!

Just wanted to say you made with Journey's OST and incredible experience for me, and can't wait to play (and listen) Abzu!

ghibli99

I don't think Abzu will have a greater sense of mystery and wonder than Journey, though. I expect Abzu to be like Journey underwater, without the thematic depth -- I mean the themes of life, death, and rebirth (harder to get much more mysterious than that) -- and without those final chapters.
What makes you think it's not going to have thematic depth? Just a hunch?

AWintory

Neo Member
Didn't know you had a GAF account!

Just wanted to say you made with Journey's OST and incredible experience for me, and can't wait to play (and listen) Abzu!

Awfully kind, thank you :)

And yeah I'm just very random how often I post. Reddit also. Sometimes I'm on here constantly and sometimes many months pass.

And yeah I'm just very random how often I post. Reddit also. Sometimes I'm on here constantly and sometimes many months pass.

Sorry, I got tied up at a brunch - I meant to announce to everyone that you were dropping in to talk with us!

Hey everyone! Austin Wintory is popping in to answer some of your pressing ABZÛ and composing questions!

Better late than never, right? ;)

Vire

I am so excited for this game I cannot express it. Life has been too stressful as of late and a temporary escape through this beautiful and serene world is just what the doctor ordered. That and I adored Austin's work with Journey!

I am so excited for this game I cannot express it. Life has been too stressful as of late and a temporary escape through this beautiful and serene world is just what the doctor ordered. That and I adored Austin's work with Journey!

Well lucky you - Austin Wintory is in here answering questions!

Ask him anything you'd like to know!

Vire

Well lucky you - Austin Wintory is in here answering questions!

Ask him anything you'd like to know!
Cool, just scrolled up and saw he posted some.

If you aren't too busy Austin, how do you decide which games to score? (As I'm sure you are regularly inendated with potential job offers)... And what instruments did you focus on using for Abzu?

Palmer27

Wonder how much this will cost in the UK? Also any word on a physical release - I'd love a copy of the soundtrack and art!

AWintory

Neo Member
Cool, just scrolled up and saw he posted some.

If you aren't too busy Austin, how do you decide which games to score? (As I'm sure you are regularly inendated with potential job offers)... And what instruments did you focus on using for Abzu?

I decide based on a wide variety of factors but it usually boils down to 3 priorities, in this order:

1) Who is making it? If I have a deep connection with someone, a long-running partnership or friendship, etc, then I will always be interested regardless of things like money, etc

2) What musical opportunities does it represent? Will this give me a chance to explore something I've never tried before? To push myself into a new direction? I will give games like this a very hard look. A perfect example is the remake of LEISURE SUIT LARRY a few years ago. That was a chance to really try something new so I snatched it up immediately.

By extension, this category also includes games that really really compelling and interesting in and of themselves, even if the musical needs are familiar to me in some way.

3) Pragmatics. This is the list of things like schedule, money, etc. I weigh this the least but it's obviously important.

Lime

Austin, I just wanted to say that your work and artistry give me life. Thank you so much and it's highly appreciated!

Vire

I decide based on a wide variety of factors but it usually boils down to 3 priorities, in this order:

1) Who is making it? If I have a deep connection with someone, a long-running partnership or friendship, etc, then I will always be interested regardless of things like money, etc

2) What musical opportunities does it represent? Will this give me a chance to explore something I've never tried before? To push myself into a new direction? I will give games like this a very hard look. A perfect example is the remake of LEISURE SUIT LARRY a few years ago. That was a chance to really try something new so I snatched it up immediately.

By extension, this category also includes games that really really compelling and interesting in and of themselves, even if the musical needs are familiar to me in some way.

3) Pragmatics. This is the list of things like schedule, money, etc. I weigh this the least but it's obviously important.
Thanks! Yeah, I wouldn't expect you to do Leisure Suit Larry, but I'm sure it's an interesting project to work on.

I think one of the more interesting things you've done was actually Assassins Creed Syndacite. It took a typical Hollywood movie score and turned it on its head a bit with the (I may be mistaken, but I believe the term is pizzicato violin).

Anyway, like I said very much looking forward to the game and I have my M50 headphones ready to go for this wonderful journey.

Humdinger

What makes you think it's not going to have thematic depth? Just a hunch?

I should clarify, I am not saying Abzu won't have some thematic depth. I should also clarify that what I mean by the shorthand "thematic depth" is the way Journey tapped into themes of life and death, solitude and companionship, struggle, mystery, death and the afterlife -- and also the way it handled those themes in a subtle rather than heavy handed way that caused players to have such strong and profound reactions to the game.

Why do I think it won't hit those same levels? One reason is that Chen isn't involved here, and he was a primary force behind what Journey became, particularly with regard to vision, the emphasis on tapping into unique emotional territory, and the overall direction of the game. Second, I think Journey hit a mark that will be extremely hard to match. It's not something I've seen achieved in the medium either before or since. So, just probability wise, it seems highly unlikely.

But hey, I'll be happy to be wrong about this. That would make Abzu an incredibly awesome game, another masterpiece, a profound work of art.

And again, I'm not trying to put Abzu down at all or diminish anyone's enthusiasm. I'm just trying to keep my own (and perhaps others') expectations in check.

Also, if you didn't think Journey was all that great to begin with, then my statements will have no value or meaning to you. Many people didn't respond the same way I did to Journey, and so my statements about its thematic depth will not really resonate with them. In that case, Abzu's thematic depth may be quite similar to Journey's, for them.

Anyhow, all of this is speculation. I look forward to actually playing the darn thing in a little over a week.

Respect to Austin Wintory. I loved your music in Journey. It wouldn't have been nearly the same game without it.

AWintory

Neo Member
I should clarify, I am not saying Abzu won't have some thematic depth. I should also clarify that what I mean by the shorthand "thematic depth" is the way Journey tapped into themes of life and death, solitude and companionship, struggle, mystery, death and the afterlife -- and also the way it handled those themes in a subtle rather than heavy handed way that caused players to have such strong and profound reactions to the game.

Why do I think it won't hit those same levels? One reason is that Chen isn't involved here, and he was a primary force behind what Journey became, particularly with regard to vision, the emphasis on tapping into unique emotional territory, and the overall direction of the game. Second, I think Journey hit a mark that will be extremely hard to match. It's not something I've seen achieved in the medium either before or since. So, just probability wise, it seems highly unlikely.

But hey, I'll be happy to be wrong about this. That would make Abzu an incredibly awesome game, another masterpiece, a profound work of art.

And again, I'm not trying to put Abzu down at all or diminish anyone's enthusiasm. I'm just trying to keep my own (and perhaps others') expectations in check.

Also, if you didn't think Journey was all that great to begin with, then my statements will have no value or meaning to you. Many people didn't respond the same way I did to Journey, and so my statements about its thematic depth will not really resonate with them. In that case, Abzu's thematic depth may be quite similar to Journey's, for them.

Anyhow, all of this is speculation. I look forward to actually playing the darn thing in a little over a week.

Respect to Austin Wintory. I loved your music in Journey. It wouldn't have been nearly the same game without it.

FWIW re: all the above, having worked on both games about 3 years each, all I can offer is that I think they have different goals. JOURNEY and ABZU are fundamentally different so if ABZU fails to measure up for you, it will be like saying TOMB RAIDER didn't live up to JOURNEY. (though I fully confess that that is not a perfect analogy, as they're certainly more alike than TR is to either of them)

dukie85

Between this and No Man's Sky, I don't think I could've asked for 2 better games to just get completely lost in. Next month is gonna be good to me.

Bombless

Thanks for stopping by Austin!

Bought both Abzû and Bound thanks to the discount on the EU PSN store. And as an owner of the Journey vinyl I really hope I'll end up having an a-mei-zing Abzû sleeve to go along with it!

NotSelf

I enjoyed Endless Ocean it was a nice calm game. ABZÛ looks nice but more dreamy definitely looking forward to it.

FWIW re: all the above, having worked on both games about 3 years each, all I can offer is that I think they have different goals. JOURNEY and ABZU are fundamentally different so if ABZU fails to measure up for you, it will be like saying TOMB RAIDER didn't live up to JOURNEY. (though I fully confess that that is not a perfect analogy, as they're certainly more alike than TR is to either of them)

I can't express enough how much I love this answer. Well said!

Austin, if you are involved on a project, a game or movie about a fart would be Grammy/Oscar worthy!

ABZÛ will be all the better due to your aural influence.

I think we shouldn't expect a second coming and we'll be ok. I think of Abzu as a replay of Journey when the magic of the bound with your companion has faded and you just enjoy the ride, the visuals, the music and story, If Abzu can accomplish that then it'll be great.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Woah hey there! I'll just repeat the gushing others have stated about the Journey Soundtrack. Combined with the visuals there were so many breath taking moments, my favorite being the slide through the ruins at sunset. Some incredible stuff! Can't wait to see what you do with Abzu!

Edit: Also if you are still here, two random questions.

1. Favorite movie score/soundtrack?

2. Pertaining to Abzu, any particular themes or muses you had for creating the games soundtrack? Even something totally un music related. I always love hearing what inspires artists.

Karak

Interviewing Austin for our channel tomorrow so its nice to see him here and some of the thoughts about Journey versus this. Its going to be one of those things that crops up alot.

Interviewing Austin for our channel tomorrow so its nice to see him here and some of the thoughts about Journey versus this. Its going to be one of those things that crops up alot.

Same here. I have Neogaf exclusive interviews with Matt Nava and Austin Wintory for the OT! I can't wait for you guys to hear what they have to say!

AWintory

Neo Member
Woah hey there! I'll just repeat the gushing others have stated about the Journey Soundtrack. Combined with the visuals there were so many breath taking moments, my favorite being the slide through the ruins at sunset. Some incredible stuff! Can't wait to see what you do with Abzu!

Edit: Also if you are still here, two random questions.

1. Favorite movie score/soundtrack?

2. Pertaining to Abzu, any particular themes or muses you had for creating the games soundtrack? Even something totally un music related. I always love hearing what inspires artists.

I actually answered these in the questions forthcoming to this so stand by :)

Top Bottom