• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABZÛ |OT| A Journey into an ocean of wisdom

I knew basically none of that. Great read OP, cheers.

PlumpPhonyHydra.gif

I'm really looking forward to starting it up and just swimming around, if the movement feels as good as it looks here i'll play this for hours on end.

Hope we get some really diverse sea life. Ecco: Defender of the Future on Dreamcast is one of my goat's due to how well they realized the ocean ecology, and with some at the time godly animations for the creatures. First time spotting the Leapord (or tiger?) Manta Ray was something else. This is my kinda game basically. Explore and drink it all in.

What exactly were you looking forward too? They were promoting this as relaxed exploration through gorgeous environments such the start

I had only watched one of the first videos of it and didn't really look into much else about it. Was just thinking it would be similar to Subnautica for some reason.

I really like how the game looks so I'll probably still try it out.

Arthea

looking forward to this, I hope the steam EU price won't be insane.
The game looks gorgeous and I happen to like underwater games/levels, so a win win situation for me.

Arthea

An interactive "experience" isn't necessarily "something more" than a game.

I actually agree with "something more" assessment, Journey is a special case, it's only game that ever gave my goosebumps.
Now what "something more" means? It depends
IDL experience word as is being missused by gaming pr people all the time, but what else is there? Aesthetic pleasure?

finalflame

Oh this is on PC too? Dank! I just sold my PS4 in preparation for getting a NEO (wanted to get rid of it before the price plummets). Stoked I'll get to play this on PC in the meanwhile. 4K here I come.

I actually agree with "something more" assessment, Journey is a special case, it's only game that ever gave my goosebumps.
IDL experience word as is being missused by gaming pr people all the time, but what else is there? Aesthetic pleasure?

I think "interactive experience" is the perfect way to describe something like Journey.

I absolutely loved it. I don't believe it's something beyond a traditional game though. It's not really a better experience. It's a different one.

People like to scoff at the use of "experience" but it really depends on the individual and context. Mad Max Fury Road and Interstellar are movies, but on IMAX, with the music and sound rumbling the seats, the vehicular chaos and gorgeous spacescapes filling your vision, they certainly become experiences

I think "interactive experience" is the perfect way to describe something like Journey.

I absolutely loved it. I don't believe it's something beyond a traditional game though. It's not really a better experience. It's a different one.
Agreed. Perhaps not more than a game, but definitely a different kind of game.

People like to scoff at the use of "experience" but it really depends on the individual and context. Mad Max Fury Road and Interstellar are movies, but on IMAX, with the music and sound rumbling the sets, the vehicular chaos and gorgeous spacescapes filling your vision, they certainly become experiences

Agreed. Perhaps not more than a game, but definitely a different kind of game.

Very well said! Saving Private Ryan is just a movie, but the opening scene viewed with the proper sound setup, becomes quite an experience.

Oh wow, I hadn't even heard of this, it looks amazing!

I'm glad you've been exposed to it now!

Keep checking this thread leading up to it being transitioned to the OT - I've got some fun surprises in store - it's going to be great!

Is Journey simply a game, or it somethong more, like an experience?

You are right, ABZÛ is gorgeous!

i was laughing at "more than a game" part, it sounds pretentious, as it is somehow superiour to other games, especially because i assume you haven't played it fully or at all.

it's just something different.

5 seconds into the trailer and I'd already decided this was day 1 purchase for me. The look and sound immediately evokes Journey and I am very much okay with that.

i was laughing at "more than a game" part, it sounds pretentious, as it is somehow superiour to other games, especially because i assume you haven't played it fully or at all.

it's just something different.

Yeah, I wasn't on a soapbox, or trying to be profound/prophetic or anything lol! I was comparing it to Journey, as far as it being a game, but also something more if taken in as an experience.

BTA

This game looks beautiful, but something about being underwater in a vast environment in games tends to stress me out, so it's probably not something I'll be able to play. Still, I love that something like this exists and hope it does well.

This game looks beautiful, but something about being underwater in a vast environment in games tends to stress me out, so it's probably not something I'll be able to play. Still, I love that something like this exists and hope it does well.

I love the ocean, but at the same time I'm afraid of it. The deep ocean in particular frightens and fascinates me.

Who knows what lurks down there...

Humdinger

Prepared for what, an experience?

Love your avatar btw!

Thanks. :)

I was referring to the "more than a game" comment. Made it sound like a revelation, a second coming, a groundbreaking artistic achievement.

I think some people are building up their expectations too high. Expecting it to be another Journey, for instance. It isn't going to be. It has the artist and composer, but it lacks the main driving force behind Journey (Chen). The similarities are there, for sure -- environment, exploration, relaxation, the music. But it's not going to have the heart, the soul, and the sense of mystery that Journey had, which made it so unique, emotionally evocative, and powerful.

That's my prediction, anyhow. Obviously I haven't played the game, so I could be wrong. But I think people who are expecting it to be another Journey are going to be let down.

Enjoy the environments and exploration. Enjoy the fishies. Enjoy the music. Enjoy the experience. Just don't get carried away with your expectations.

I was referring to the "more than a game" comment. Made it sound like a revelation, a second coming, a groundbreaking artistic achievement.

I think some people are building up their expectations too high. Expecting it to be another Journey, for instance. It isn't going to be. It has the artist and composer, but it lacks the main driving force behind Journey (Chen). The similarities are there, for sure -- environment, exploration, relaxation, the music. But it's not going to have the heart, the soul, and the sense of mystery that Journey had, which made it so unique, emotionally evocative, and powerful.
Idk. It might have a greater sense of mystery than Journey. The ocean already has that innate sense of wonder and grandeur and otherworldliness, and this isn't our ocean

The movement and dynamic ecosystem alone might make it more involving and enjoyable to play than Journey was.

That's my prediction, anyhow. Obviously I haven't played the game, so I could be wrong. But I think people who are expecting it to be another Journey are going to be let down.

Matt Nava helped shape the narrative in Journey and he also created the look and feel of the game, as well as the level design. I think the game is in superb hands.

I have high hopes for this title!

Idk. It might have a greater sense of mystery than Journey. The ocean already has that innate sense of wonder and grandeur and otherworldliness, and this isn't our ocean

The movement and dynamic ecosystem alone might make it more involving and enjoyable to play than Journey was.

Agreed.

The ocean is such a mysterious, beautiful and sometimes frightening place and even though all of the fish and species of marine life in the game exist in our reality; there's enough foreign elements to create some very alien, sinister environments; making some of it very surreal. To top that off, we have no idea what's lurking at the very bottom!

Rndm

Really excited for this game. I'm trying to stay away from as much as possible now because I was already sold when I saw the first trailer and heard who was working on it. And when I found out that Austion Wintory was scoring this I was even more hyped.

I'm glad I got wind of the PS+ pre-order deal though. 20% off a game I wanted to get anyway is sweet and the description suggests that I'll get a theme as well, yay.

Humdinger

I agree with the last bit. Movement in an ocean filled with life ought to be more enjoyable and immersive than sliding around on on sand. And we have more powerful hardware to play with now.

I don't think Abzu will have a greater sense of mystery and wonder than Journey, though. I expect Abzu to be like Journey underwater, without the thematic depth -- I mean the themes of life, death, and rebirth (harder to get much more mysterious than that) -- and without those final chapters.

Maybe they've created some interesting lore that creates some sense of mystery, though, and which will be fun to piece together. Hope so.

I agree with the last bit. Movement in an ocean filled with life ought to be more enjoyable and immersive than sliding around on on sand. And we have more powerful hardware to play with now.

I don't think Abzu will have a greater sense of mystery and wonder than Journey, though. I expect Abzu to be like Journey underwater, without the thematic depth -- I mean the themes of life, death, and rebirth (harder to get much more mysterious than that) -- and without those final chapters.

Maybe they've created some interesting lore that creates some sense of mystery, though, and which will be fun to piece together. Hope so.

Gracefully swimming through an ocean literally filled with life is sure to be an amazing and pleasurable experience. Given the power of the hardware and the tech they used/created, it's also sure to be a gorgeous one.

As far as the themes reaching the heights of those found in Journey, that remains to be seen. The game is about discovery and self-discovery; so I'm sure that we will all be pleasantly entertained and enlightened once the credits roll.

Humdinger

As far as the themes reaching the heights of those found in Journey, that remains to be seen.

Agreed. I am skeptical; you are hopeful. We shall see.

Either way, I'm sure I'll enjoy the game. The music and art were such a big part of Journey. I have a lot of confidence in this team. What I've seen so far looks beautiful.

I'm just trying to keep my expectations realistic.

Agreed. I am skeptical; you are hopeful. We shall see.

Either way, I'm sure I'll enjoy the game. The music and art were such a big part of Journey, and I have a lot of confidence in this team. I'm just trying to keep my expectations realistic.

As you should.

However, the people responsible for the music and art of Journey are the same two people responsible for the same things in ABZÛ. Your expectations couldn't be in better hands.

alienator

cant wait for this, love underwater games, and as we speak, im playing Soma, and i can surely use a change of scenery from this depressive bleak abyss im in, currently..

Kinda curious about this one. It looks very nice, so I'll probably pick it up.

There's already someone doing a Let's play for it on YouTube. Kinda like that it's not really forcing you to move quick and you can just explore.

Top Bottom