• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABZÛ |OT| A Journey into an ocean of wisdom

Tranquilo

Banned
Crap I didn't know there was a Steam version. I just upgraded to a GTX 1060 and I'd love to see this game at its best, but I already pre-ordered the PS4 version. No regrets; in it for the trophies, I suppose. I'd gladly double-dip if my wife and I weren't on a razor's-edge budget and - well, you know - that GPU upgrade wasn't cheap.

Still hyped!

Keep up the amazing work, man

I'll occasionally listen to the Journey OST on my longer bike rides and certain moments still give me goosebumps, even after all these years. Greatly looking forward to Abzû

Tranquilo

Banned
Austin -
Thanks a lot for your work and creativity; it's been an inspiration for a lot of us.

In Journey your music was an organic part of the experience; it was so well-integrated and communicated so much on behalf of the silent (albeit chirping) protagonist and the world itself. The music and gameplay were one living thing, and that's one reason I feel like the live performance and gameplay tour did so well.

With Abzu I know a lot of the delight will come from interacting with all of the sea-life all around you. I've tried to go into this game completely blind, but one thing I did hear is that almost everything (or at least every creature) offers a unique interaction. When composing and recording, were you at all influenced by the sound and game design in that regard? Is there a similar malleability to the music as in Journey, where things may change at a moment's notice depending on players' actions and interactions with sea life?

Humdinger

FWIW re: all the above, having worked on both games about 3 years each, all I can offer is that I think they have different goals. JOURNEY and ABZU are fundamentally different so if ABZU fails to measure up for you, it will be like saying TOMB RAIDER didn't live up to JOURNEY. (though I fully confess that that is not a perfect analogy, as they're certainly more alike than TR is to either of them)

Hi, Austin. That's a good point, thanks.

I don't expect ABZU to "measure up" to Journey. That's part of what I was trying to convey, at least originally -- that these are going to be very different games, so expecting "Journey underwater" is setting yourself up for disappointment. I am trying to keep my expectations realistic, so I can enjoy Abzu on its own terms, not measure it against Journey. I've gotten involved in talking about the differences between this game and Journey because of branching conversations, but my original point was that these are very different games, and it's unrealistic to expect this to be "Journey underwater."

I don't intend to measure Abzu against Journey. I plan to take Abzu on its own, as its own game. Looking forward to it.

Preordered PS4 version today after running through Journey again. I'm not expecting them to be the same, but rather to evoke a similar set of feelings, if that makes sense.

With AWintory on the music (amazing to see you here, thank you so much for all your hard work and incredible music), I know I'm getting a bargain anyway... but..

I was a little short on PSN Wallet Funds when I went to order. Dunno why this happened, but I got $2 off my 10$ PSN card on Amazon (smile), it applied the "Free, No-Rush Shipping" discount twice. On a digital code. Is that normal?

So I just watched one of my best friends play through Journey.

I've hyped ABZÛ up so much that he pre-ordered it without ever having played Journey. I wish everyone could've see his reaction to playing it. It's amazing to watch someone play through Journey knowing what's going to happen, but they don't.

The first thing he commented on was how amazing the soundtrack was and how he felt totally relaxed and de-stressed just playing it. By the end, he was trying to pretend he wasn't getting emotional and was kind of rubbing at his eyes until he finally admitted once the final part of the credits ran, that he "got it" and that he was "blown away".

Bravo Matt Nava, Austin Wintory and all the devs at thatgamecompany.

Stopped by this thread only to realize Austin fucking Wintory is posting in here - wow.

I sort of wish people would stop with the journey comparisons though. These are different games with quite clearly different gameplay objectives and ultimately different development teams (artistic direction and music composition aside). Just keep your brains open for a new experience?

Stopped by this thread only to realize Austin fucking Wintory is posting in here - wow.

Amazing, isn't it?

He was ever so kind to do that for us [he'll be monitoring this thread, so keep the questions and Austin Wintory love coming! ].

Also amazing, are the exclusive interviews I have with him and Matt Nava just for us GAFfers, that will be going up in this same thread when it becomes the OT!

Some more fun things to come, ABZÛ fans!

bunkitz

Shit, it's so cool that Austin Wintory is here! I haven't had the pleasure of playing Journey yet, sadly, but I've started using Spotify recently and have been discovering his music from Journey and I'm in love with the soundtrack. I'm really excited for ABZÛ and its soundtrack!

Ferr986

Shit, it's so cool that Austin Wintory is here! I haven't had the pleasure of playing Journey yet, sadly, but I've started using Spotify recently and have been discovering his music from Journey and I'm in love with the soundtrack. I'm really excited for ABZÛ and its soundtrack!

Music is even better in game, because it's dynamic, in the sense that it moves forward depending on the scenery or what's happening.

The last stage is particulary an incredible example about this.

FWIW re: all the above, having worked on both games about 3 years each, all I can offer is that I think they have different goals. JOURNEY and ABZU are fundamentally different so if ABZU fails to measure up for you, it will be like saying TOMB RAIDER didn't live up to JOURNEY. (though I fully confess that that is not a perfect analogy, as they're certainly more alike than TR is to either of them)

Oh man, Austin Wintory in the house! Apotheosis from Journey sounds like heaven(the entire score is sublime). Love your work and can't wait to listen to it in ABZU.

Tankard

Nice to see Austin Wintory hanging out here, it gets me even more hyped for Abzu. Journey soundtrack was one of the best i ever heard, Apotheosis makes me cry every time i hear.

Matush

If the music is anything but similar to Journey's, I will cry like a little btch again. To this day, more than 4 years later, I remember hearing Apotheosis and breaking down as me and my fellow traveler were "climbing up" the mountain.

Ferr986

If the music is anything but similar to Journey's, I will cry like a little btch again. To this day, more than 4 years later, I remember hearing Apotheosis and breaking down as me and my fellow traveler were "climbing up" the mountain.

The very last moment
when the path ends and you start flying with a golden aura
with that melody... /cries.

wouwie

This is one of those rare games i'm buying without the need to see any reviews. I was already sure of that when i saw the announcement trailer way back and the people involved. So i pre-ordered this without any hesitation.

thenexus6

I just preordered it on PSN. First game I have ever preordered digitally. I wonder what the theme looks like / when we'll get it?

CHC

Will Steam be getting a discounted pre-order? We're getting close to the release but there is no purchase option yet. It might be nice to save a couple dollars.

AWintory

Neo Member
really hoping there's at least 1 song that's as good as apotheosis from journey

"I really hope there's a song that's as good as one of the best video game songs of all time"

Yeah, me too.

I'm sure there will be at least one song that is as good :)

*gulp*

Kind words, and thank you guys! I can't promise anything! I wrote what I think is write for the game; assuming I actually achieved that, I'll hope that what's right for the game feels on par to "Apotheosis" for you :)

We'll have to see!

AWintory

Neo Member
Austin -
Thanks a lot for your work and creativity; it's been an inspiration for a lot of us.

In Journey your music was an organic part of the experience; it was so well-integrated and communicated so much on behalf of the silent (albeit chirping) protagonist and the world itself. The music and gameplay were one living thing, and that's one reason I feel like the live performance and gameplay tour did so well.

With Abzu I know a lot of the delight will come from interacting with all of the sea-life all around you. I've tried to go into this game completely blind, but one thing I did hear is that almost everything (or at least every creature) offers a unique interaction. When composing and recording, were you at all influenced by the sound and game design in that regard? Is there a similar malleability to the music as in Journey, where things may change at a moment's notice depending on players' actions and interactions with sea life?

The score is definitely as interactive as JOURNEY's is, and yes I worked very closely with sound designer Steve Green to make sure everything was as organically interconnected as possible.

*gulp*

Kind words, and thank you guys! I can't promise anything! I wrote what I think is write for the game; assuming I actually achieved that, I'll hope that what's right for the game feels on par to "Apotheosis" for you :)

We'll have to see!

No worries!

I love what I've heard so far and given your pedigree of excellence, the ABZÛ score can't be disappointing. The main theme alone blew me away!

The score is definitely as interactive as JOURNEY's is, and yes I worked very closely with sound designer Steve Green to make sure everything was as organically interconnected as possible.

Can't. Wait.

Enjoy it!!

Well, that was incredible.

I think all this time I never played it as I figured it could never live up to the hype, and I had heard about there being some kind of co-op aspect so wasn't sure how likely that was to work the further away it got from its release date.

[Journey spoilers]
Neither of those things mattered, as it turned out. Outside of the famous sand surfing section I knew nothing about the game, so everything was a surprise. The cloth fish were amazing, that first moment when one of them sweeps you up and you go flying along accompanied with a swell of the music was such an exhilarating feeling. Amazing music throughout, as expected (always enjoy Austin's work).

The 'underwater' section was also unexpected, it was really tense when the robotic serpents started waking up - I involuntarily tensed up a couple of times and I can play through games like Outlast with barely a flinch, so I think it's a real testament to how attached I was to the traveler in such a short space of time. The sound design was also spot on in that bit, I thought.

I cheered out loud when I first saw another player, who flew past the camera in the final stage of the water level as I reached the top of the tower you fill with water. The following slog through the snow levels was very well done, and my fellow pilgrim was cool, we helped each other out and it really felt like we were 'in it together'.

So yeah, off topic for this thread but I wanted to follow up as it was the last few comments that made me remember I should get around to playing Journey. Thanks :D

Well, that was incredible.

I think all this time I never played it as I figured it could never live up to the hype, and I had heard about there being some kind of co-op aspect so wasn't sure how likely that was to work the further away it got from its release date.

[Journey spoilers]
Neither of those things mattered, as it turned out. Outside of the famous sand surfing section I knew nothing about the game, so everything was a surprise. The cloth fish were amazing, that first moment when one of them sweeps you up and you go flying along accompanied with a swell of the music was such an exhilarating feeling. Amazing music throughout, as expected (always enjoy Austin's work).

The 'underwater' section was also unexpected, it was really tense when the robotic serpents started waking up - I involuntarily tensed up a couple of times and I can play through games like Outlast with barely a flinch, so I think it's a real testament to how attached I was to the traveler in such a short space of time. The sound design was also spot on in that bit, I thought.

I cheered out loud when I first saw another player, who flew past the camera in the final stage of the water level as I reached the top of the tower you fill with water. The following slog through the snow levels was very well done, and my fellow pilgrim was cool, we helped each other out and it really felt like we were 'in it together'.

So yeah, off topic for this thread but I wanted to follow up as it was the last few comments that made me remember I should get around to playing Journey. Thanks :D

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Now you're ready for ABZÛ :)

It isn't really off-topic, since both ABZÛ and Journey share a similar emotional adventure filled with wonder and discovery - as well as being the previous game from Matt Nava and Austin Wintory.

I think it's the perfect way to get yourself ready for ABZÛ - that, or actually going scuba diving.

I myself have been watching lots of undersea documentaries and movies; as well as playing the Ecco The Dolphin Sega CD games ... and playing Journey.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Now you're ready for ABZÛ :)

It isn't really off-topic, since both ABZÛ and Journey share a similar emotional adventure filled with wonder and discovery - as well as being the previous game from Matt Nava and Austin Wintory.

I think it's the perfect way to get yourself ready for ABZÛ - that, or actually going scuba diving.

I myself have been watching lots of undersea documentaries and movies; as well as playing the Ecco The Dolphin Sega CD games ... and playing Journey.

Nice. I'm a real sucker for underwater/oceanic settings. I'm building a new PC next month and really looking forward to ABZÛ (even more so now), Subnautica and hopefully No Man's Sky has some compelling aquatic stuff going on as well.

Have you played SOMA? That's got some great underwater exploration, and thematically it's not dissimilar to Journey, thinking about it.

Nice. I'm a real sucker for underwater/oceanic settings. I'm building a new PC next month and really looking forward to ABZÛ (even more so now), Subnautica and hopefully No Man's Sky has some compelling aquatic stuff going on as well.

Have you played SOMA? That's got some great underwater exploration, and thematically it's not dissimilar to Journey, thinking about it.

Good luck with your PC, I'm sure that it will be a beast! I haven't played SOMA - but No Man's Sky's oceans and planets that are completely ocean, have me excited to see what giant terrors lurk beneath the surface!

Top Bottom