• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC power plugs and sockets. When will this insanity end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Aww, I see a happy face plug.

iER3DI0gH1Vi.png

Bwahahahahhaa

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Though the problem with the UK adapter is that it is massive so in a world where we have dozens of electronics plugged in at one, I can see that getting a little dicey.

Has never been a problem for me, except in cases where manufacturers make massive power blocks rather than standard plugs. And I've had some serious sets of consoles plugged in at any one time.

DiegoXJ

OK, just to clarify some stuff being said here. GFCI's (USA) and RCD's (Europe), are both to protect people from becoming the path to ground in a electrical hazard condition. They monitor the current flow and trip if not following the proper path.

As for the switched receptacles that people use in Australia, not 100% but it will save the receptacle and plug from arcing damage if you try to plug/unplug appliances without turning them off. It is actually quite common here (USA) to get damage on plugs and receptacles from people that just plug stuff in and out without turning the device off, but at 120V it doesn't cause as much damage.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i don't want to spend money changing that shit. waste of money. just buy a converter or whatever.

bomma_man

The European varieties were generally good except you'd occasionally find a loose plug that wouldn't support the weight of a convertor plus iPhone charger.

In Australia the horizontal arrangement of plugs can cause some problems with certain chargers.

As you can see it's impossible fo me to put my Nokia and 3DS chargers side by side.

strata8

The European varieties were generally good except you'd occasionally find a loose plug that wouldn't support the weight of a convertor plus iPhone charger.

In Australia the horizontal arrangement of plugs can cause some problems with certain chargers.

As you can see it's impossible fo me to put my Nokia and 3DS chargers side by side.
Seriously, how hard is it for manufacturers to have the transformer oriented downwards? Apple does it, but it seems like no one else does.

iamblades

The NEMA system of plugs is pretty badass if I must say so myself. NEMA 1 and 5 are just so compact and versatile.

I think everything should to industrial style NEMA L5-15 twistlock connectors though. Twistlock connectors kick ass.

All the euro standards are too bulky, especially the british, which is just comically large.

PowerCon connectors are pretty sweet as well, but being made by neutrik, they are too proprietary to become a standard unfortunately.

I have 3 pieces of Japanese electrical equipment and they all use power supplies that look like any other NA plug I've used (and that I plug in normally).

Cheerilee

US and Japan are hybrids of each other as we have been trading election devices for so long we have adapted each others outlet (as they have the old US version, or vice-verse I don't remember)

Yes, the Japanese 3-outlet no-ground style used to be used in America.

It got phased out in America in favor of two-outlet, and eventually grounding and polarization (one wide blade) were introduced. If a device doesn't care about grounding or polarization, modern American outlets are backwards compatible. If a device does need one and/or the other, then it's plug will only fit in an outlet that (hopefully) has been correctly wired to meet it's needs.

Japan is apparently behind in adopting polarization, and they don't care much for grounding.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Taiwan uses American/Japanese plugs. Most new electronic appliances use the 3-plug design, but most buildings only have 2-plug outlets. Having to use adapters is a pain. :/

South Korea uses the same plugs as Europe? Never knew that, pretty cool if you import Korean electronics.

Korea is 60hz compared to Europe's 50hz. Just keep this in mind if you're serious about importing.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm guessing Denmark has an all time high of infant mortality due to electric shock.

I remember some guy on Dragon's Den trying to pitch the idea of Universal plugs, the cost and task was so massive they were all out within minutes of him getting going into his pitch.

Am I the only one who is OK with this? I like diversity, no matter how ridiculous and inconvenient it is.

I like knowing that I am thousands of kilometers (yes, diversity again, not "miles' Kilometers) away from home, when I try to charge my iphone and see that I cannot use the weird looking happy face socket on the wall, what's wrong with that?

I don't care, I am somewhere most likely interesting and different than where I usually am, I should be taking in the world around me and put away my laptop and phone. I'm here on business you say? well my work should make the preparations in advance for me with the proper adapters to not be stuck in this situation, the end.

YES! YES! this genius, right here basically!

Natetan

I can't get a good sense of scale from any image in here. US plugs are pretty small which lets us build pretty small power strips for computing purposes. How much larger is the UK plug?

UK plugs are MASSIVE. I'd say the typica british socket takes up enough space for at least 3, possibly 6 US plugs.

The only worthwhile plug is the US/Japan plugs. all the rest suck. I don't get the flimsy complaint. Never once had an issue with them. That complaint normally comes from Brtish people who need to feel their version of something is superior so they turn their excessively large tank size plugs into a positive saying it's 'sturdy' and 'provides reassurance'.

lol, americans why you still using 110 volts :p
Once you pick a standard, you are kinda stuck with it.

Yeah 120V kinda sucks. But it is probably a little bit safer than 240V.

I wish we had 240V though.

Also: That UK plug sucks. It is obnoxiously large and so are some of the other Euro ones. But that could be because of the higher voltage.

They should dig up Steve Jobs, reanimate his corpse and have him design a new SMALLER, MORE EFFICIENT type of plug that will be the worldwide standard.

Natetan

British vs. American plugs:

JWka1.jpg

Thats not a comparison though Compare the British and us wall sockets themselves.. Don't forget to include wall space for the uk socket on/off switch.

And the comment about enjoying the different sockets, not all of us are going abroad on vacation. When I have to go to the office I'd like my shaver to work, I'd like to charge my blackberry without bringing an assortment of different adapters.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The European Union are about to force an industry standard for mobile phone chargers. Hopefully power plugs will be next. As long as we don't end up using the flimsy American prongs I'll support any system.

I thought they standardized micro usb ages ago. then apple came up with some 'our new interface is more for a tiny smart computer than a phone' bullshit.

Majine

Banned
I thought it was going to be about these ungodly things from hell:

ALZMA.jpg

WE'RE IN 2012! WHY DO THESE STILL EXIST!?

I thought so too. What the fuck was wrong with them!? Bless the companies that atleast has the box on the line and not on the end like this.

Javaman

We need to fix the issue when we start getting wirless electricity adapters.

That's never going to happen until things start drawing MUCH less power. Picture a 10 foot sphere around a wireless power transmitter. How much of that area is blocked by the receiving antenna? All the rest is lost energy. Tesla was amazing but a quack when it came to wireless power distribution.

Mudkips

Banned
The US should flip the outlet like we had it in England. Ground/Neutral on the top is safer if the plug were to become loose and you drop something conductive on top of it.

This has been a proposed standard for a while now.
A few years ago when we had work done the electrician put them in with ground on top.

Cheerilee

This has been a proposed standard for a while now.
A few years ago when we had work done the electrician put them in with ground on top.

Hospitals apparently always install them ground-side-up.

An electrician told me that ground-side-down is so that if people step on cords and yank them downwards, the ground wire stays connected longest. Ground side up is so that if the plug works it's way loose, you can't accidentally drop things down onto live wires.

Ground-side-down protects your electrical devices, ground-side-up protects you. Both are valid. And so is sideways.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
In the UK modern homes and ones that are desired are required to have a circuit breaker on the main fuse panel.

Long earth prong physically opens the live/neutral sockets which are otherwise covered, preventing electrocution. And they're damn solid. I often think the Japanese and some European plugs can feel a bit wobbly. UK plugs feel like you're an extension of the wiring system.

UK/Europe have compatible electric though. If you bring a European plug over to the UK, you can just plug a UK plug outside down so the earth prong opens the live/neutral, then plug a European plug into it.

We did change our system but I don't remember when it happened. We used to use what India still uses now - three rounded prongs.

A ton of improvement could be done just by changing the physical standards so that all 220/240/50Hz countries used the same plug, all 110/120/60hz etc. but I doubt it'll happen.

Size can be helped a lot. My Nokia charger has a folding earth prong so it collapses down to the size of a European plug when packed away. And things like apple chargers offset the plug and transformer body for some reason - if it was more centralised it wouldn't feel so bulky. I'd be up for a miniaturised version though

neocoder

Banned
lol, americans why you still using 110 volts :p

What's the issue with 120 volts? All of our household appliances run fine with 120V. The bigger appliances with the need for more power can use 240V.

We should be working towards using less power, not more power.

strata8

What's the issue with 120 volts? All of our household appliances run fine with 120V. The bigger appliances with the need for more power can use 240V.

...that's not how electricity works. Increasing the voltage doesn't mean that everything uses double the power.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
US plugs suck. Cables are not secure and the contacts can bend too easily, and 120v.

UK plugs are comically large.

Mainland Europe is the way to go here. Small, secure in the wall, durable, and 240v.

Salacious Crumb

240v doesn't use more power, watts are watts. the lower amperage when using 240v produces less heat (waste) though. AC to DC converters seem to be more efficient with 240v as well (computer PSUs are usually a few percent more efficient anyway), so in the end you could save power. Not much, but a little.

Just follow the EU, they're pretty good at standardization and regulation.
Evilore is correct, US and UK plugs suck in comparison to the euro ones.

iamblades

US plugs suck. Cables are not secure and the contacts can bend too easily, and 120v.

UK plugs are comically large.

Mainland Europe is the way to go here. Small, secure in the wall, durable, and 240v.

I see your first point on cables with no ground and old worn out outlets, but a fresh outlet and a 3 prong cable is just as secure as the euro designs IMO. The design does allow for the outlets to wear out over time though, which is the main downside to the design. The issue with the contacts bending is entirely shitty materials and cost cutting. The industrial level connectors with the machined blades are basically indestructible. They also help security of the connection too, as the blades have the actual proper thickness, they are not cheaply stamped out of metal that is too thin.

The voltage is a different thing entirely, 240v would help with efficiency and save some money on copper, but its separate from the actual outlets. 50 hz can get fucked though.

strata8

If any plug is going to be standardised, it would have to be the IEC standard (used by Brazil):
640px-Tomada_Brasileira_-_IEC_60906-1_20A%2C_250V.JPG

It's small, recessed, the contacts are rounded, and it's compatible with European plugs.

Natetan

problem with british plugs, the rest of the commonwealth uses them too. singapore, australia (well basically just the pins are diagonal), lots of african countries.

euro plugs suck, repeat euro plugs suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom