• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to Microsoft the new Xbox is called

MilkyJoe

"Xbox"

‘The name we’re carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox,’

‘Similar to what fans have seen with previous generations, the name ‘Xbox Series X’ allows room for additional consoles in the future, added Microsoft.

Multiple models of next gen Xbox have been rumoured for years, with tech specs leaking out earlier in the month. It’s assumed that one of the new models will be called the Xbox Series S, which means the more expensive next gen Xbox will be out first – with the cheaper version following later. That’s the opposite way to how things worked this generation, but it does make more sense as it’s usually only dedicated gamers that buy a console as soon as it comes out.

Which lets be honest, was pretty obvious

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
How Apple uses numeric names.
they call their smartwatches "Series" or something.

1st Gen - which was called simply Apple Watch (not Series 1)
2nd Gen -Apparently called Series 1 + 2
3rd Gen - Series 3
4th Gen - Series 4
5th Gen - Series 5

Last edited:

xool

Keeping up the tradition of an incomprehensible naming scheme

Did they ever explain why the 360 was called the 360 ?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Don't they have the exact same deal on the market now, but with 3 Xbox One SKUs and no one is getting confused, except the willingly.

There's a major differentiater... The price.
it's simply enough though.

Xbox One S
Xbox One S (digital)
Xbox One X

S = cheap
X = powerful

but now we're being told next gen is simply called Xbox but this one is the Xbox Series X model. So what's changed? The Xbox One was an Xbox.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
It really won’t be that much of an issue, people arent as dumb as you think.
People walk in, ask for the latest Xbox, that’s it.
i've worked in retail. i know just how thick people can be.

it's not gonna be that simple when they have multiple models with different performance/price.

Last edited:
God, they are really thick.

This is only gonna cause a lot of confusion. Maybe not to some on here but for the average/casual person who buys one. I'm thinking this is gonna backfire on them.

Can you give me an example of somebody being confused that Xbox One was actually the original Xbox because of the "One" ?

I won't be waiting otherwise I'll be here forever.

MilkyJoe

it's simply enough though.

Xbox One S
Xbox One S (digital)
Xbox One X

S = cheap
X = powerful

but now we're being told next gen is simply called Xbox but this one is the Xbox Series X model. So what's changed? The Xbox One was an Xbox.
Nothing, they are running with the S and X labels, it's exactly the same level of confusion, ergo, next to none

i've worked in retail. i know just how thick people can be.

it's not gonna be that simple when they have multiple models with different performance/price.

Its exactly the same situation now, with all three companies

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Nothing, they are running with the S and X labels, it's exactly the same level of confusion, ergo, next to none

Its exactly the same situation now, with all three companies
The confusion come from being the same from last gen.

You can buy the Xbox One X instead the Xbox Series X.

Can you give me an example of somebody being confused that Xbox One was actually the original Xbox because of the "One" ?

I won't be waiting otherwise I'll be here forever.
Was the original Xbox being sold when Xbox One launched???

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
You can buy the One X instead the Xbox Series X.

Yes, no shop in the world would ever try and push someone into buying the more expensive product. Instead they'll just deliberately sell them the cheaper one without saying a word :messenger_neutral:

The confusion come from being the same from last gen.

You can buy the Xbox One X instead the Xbox Series X.

Was the original Xbox being sold when Xbox One launched???

But "your average consumer" is super dumb right ? I mean in holiday 2020 he can't figure out at all that the brand new Series X is different to the One X that is cheaper + 3 or 4 years old + different shape + less powerful. Even with all the marketing, general knowledge, the fact that he's not an ape etc.

So once again since according to this thread he's so dumb then I would expect him to be confused between Xbox One and the original 2001 Xbox.

ethomaz

Banned
But "your average consumer" is super dumb right ? I mean in holiday 2020 he can't figure out at all that the brand new Series X is different to the One X that is cheaper + 3 or 4 years old + different shape + less powerful. Even with all the marketing, general knowledge, the fact that he's not an ape etc.

So once again since according to this thread he's so dumb then I would expect him to be confused between Xbox One and the original 2001 Xbox.
Xbox One and original Xbox were sold at the time?

ethomaz

Banned
Yes, no shop in the world would ever try and push someone into buying the more expensive product. Instead they'll just deliberately sell them the cheaper one without saying a word :messenger_neutral:
It is not like who buys the console is not the one that will use or want a new one lol

You are gamer enthusiastic so you will obvious not make confusion but that is not how the normal consumer that go on shopping buy things to their childrens do.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Maybe! Just call it Xbox and the year it's released in instead. Would make it alot easier by now.

MilkyJoe

It is not like who buys the console is not the one that will use or want a new one lol

You are gamer enthusiastic so you will obvious not make confusion but that is not how the normal consumer that go on shopping buy things to their childrens do.

Every single mother is going to call it a Nintendo anyway, the kids will steer them in the right direction, kids have been doing it since the 80s

ethomaz

Banned
Every single mother is going to call it a Nintendo anyway, the kids will steer them in the right direction, kids have been doing it since the 80s
With that mentality you of course won’t understand.

Kids asks for Xbox all the time in America... that is why it sell better there than in the rest of the world.

You, me, all these forum posters are just niche.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
The first console was called Xbox.

Then they released the Xbox 360. After that people referred to the first Xbox console as "Xbox 1".

Then they released the Xbox One. Not to be confused with the Xbox 1, which now needs to be retroactively changed to the OG Xbox.

Then they release the Xbox One X. Because you can never have too many X's.

Then they announce the Xbox Series X, not be confused with the Xbox One X. Now they say just call it "Xbox", not to be confused with the other Xbox.

Long story short, naming consoles is not their strong suit.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Ever heard of retailer bundles?
There are X1S retailer bundles more expensive than the X1X solo. Also retailers are motivated to get rid of the old stock first before it becomes even harder to sell , specially in Sonyland EU countries.
I can see stores pushing X1X retailer bundles to naive buyers instead of the Series X just to get rid of old stock, and having worked 3 years in an electronics store I know that people can be REALLY STUPID!

ethomaz

Banned
Ever heard of retailer bundles?
There are X1S retailer bundles more expensive than the X1X solo. Also retailers are motivated to get rid of the old stock first before it becomes even harder to sell , specially in Sonyland EU countries.
I can see stores pushing X1X retailer bundles to naive buyers instead of the Series X just to get rid of old stock, and having worked 3 years in an electronics store I know that people can be REALLY STUPID!
That happes in America, in my country (Brasil), and others countries... it is not only EU countries.
Retail push old stock first (that is btw the goal of Black Friday sales).

The amount of consumers that buys the wrong product at Black Friday is autonomic.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So when the PS5 is out next year and someone asks for "a PlayStation" then they'll get given a PlayStation Classic - just to clear the stock obviously (y)
Actually you ask for PS5, Play 5, etc...
But yes you are correct if you ask PlayStation some retailers will show you PS4 first while they had PS4 in stock.
Of course that changes if you add something else like "new", "5", etc.

Last edited:

Coflash

Maybe! Just call it Xbox and the year it's released in instead. Would make it alot easier by now.

But then in 5 years it sounds very dated (not that they aren't...)

Sony have got it right. I reckon numerical or unique names work best.

CyberPanda

Banned
God, they are really thick.

This is only gonna cause a lot of confusion. Maybe not to some on here but for the average/casual person who buys one. I'm thinking this is gonna backfire on them.
Oh yea, it’s caused a lot of confusion in the phone market too. People are not that dumb, especially figuring out naming schemes. If they have trouble, then they should get some educational help.

ethomaz

Banned
Oh yea, it’s caused a lot of confusion in the phone market too. People are not that dumb, especially figuring out naming schemes. If they have trouble, then they should get some educational help.
What confusion in Phone market?

S7, S8, S9, S10, S10...
7, 8, X (10), XS (10 S), 11, 11S...
A30, A50, A70, A80...
6, 6T, 7, 7T, 8, 8T...
P20, P30, P40...
1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

So when the PS5 is out next year and someone asks for "a PlayStation" then they'll get given a PlayStation Classic - just to clear the stock obviously (y)
They are already included in ps4 retailer bundles for 10-20€ difference, I can see that carrying out with the ps5, if the classic is still in production by then. At one point they were including the PS TV for free just get rid of stock.

Top Bottom