• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 3DS eShop sale: Trilogy $16.49, DD $11.99

zigg

I might have missed another sale, but I think this is the lowest price Ace Attorney games have ever been in the eShop.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (includes all three original Phoenix Wright games): $16.49

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies: $11.99

Wish I'd waited for this sale to pick up the Trilogy; IIRC, I spent $20 on it, despite owning the DS games 😣

breakfuss

I might have missed another sale, but I think this is the lowest price Ace Attorney games have ever been in the eShop.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (includes all three original Phoenix Wright games): $16.49

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies: $11.99

Wish I'd waited for this sale to pick up the Trilogy; IIRC, I spent $20 on it, despite owning the DS games 😣

You lost precisely $3.51.

I have the original DS games soooo I'll pass.

Aru

I still need to play Trials and Tribulations but whatever, I'm buying Dual Destinies. I'll probably skip Apollo Justice since they didn't release it on 3DS.

I'd get Dual Destinies but it's $18 for the full game (with DLC case). Not comfortable paying that much with the lack of account system. What are the chances of Limited Run Game doing a physical release?

Vibed

I was upset when I missed the last sale on DD, now it's $3 lower. What a relief this sale came so soon.

Hmm, I'm tempted to pick up the collection, but I have the first game on DS and I didn't *love* it, I just liked it. I liked it for the characters and tone, but wasn't that engaged by the actual gameplay, which I felt was a little plodding and not very dynamic. I've heard the third game is really the best, though, and almost a must-play? If what I mostly liked about the first game are the characters, is the third game or DD so good that I should jump in?

Dee Dee

Hmm, I'm tempted to pick up the collection, but I have the first game on DS and I didn't *love* it, I just liked it. I liked it for the characters and tone, but wasn't that engaged by the actual gameplay, which I felt was a little plodding and not very dynamic. I've heard the third game is really the best, though, and almost a must-play? If what I mostly liked about the first game are the characters, is the third game or DD so good that I should jump in?

If you don't enjoy playing it, you might as well just watch a let's play of it?

Personally I enjoy the court room stuff and the investigations parts (especially in Apollo Justice which people always skip...), and there's no new elements to it later in the game, apart from the 5th case of the first game that was added for the DS release (it's also in the Trilogy).

It's mostly a visual novel with point and click elements, and it does never get more dynamic. If you weren't really engaged by the first game, you will probably quit the whole thing some time in the second game anyway which has some really drawn out cases with really annoying characters and not very engaging plot lines (no one cares about the circus).

Not sure if the Trilogy lets you skip cases, but if you don't like PLAYING it and just want to follow the main story of the characters you care about, here are the cases you need to play to skip the fillers:

First game
1. The First Turnabout
2. Turnabout Sisters
4. Turnabout Goodbyes

Second game
2. Reunion and Turnabout

Third game
1. Turnabout Memories
4. Turnabout Beginnings
5. Bridge to the Turnabout

However, you will be missing out on some fun trials (case 2-4 is considered the best case in the series by some).

Still waiting for a physical release... :(

vZsMQfS.jpg

Dee Dee

Any reason to get the trilogy if I have the DS games and beat them ice ages ago?

Graphics are a bit refreshed, so if you fell like replaying it one day you have them all in one place in a cleaner looking version. Also removed some typos (and added a few new ones!).

If you aren't one to replay story heavy games, you can easily skip this. Also, they go on sale very regularly, so this isn't your last chance to grab them for cheap.

Part of me wants to go for AA trilogy but I also know that I wont be replaying it anytime soon, especially with AA6 this close now.
Fortunately with Capcom their games go on sale quite regularly so it'll probably happen again, hopefully when I'm more into going through the original trilogy again.

Title makes it look like Ace Attorney 123, turnabouts forever!

edit: beaten by themagicalkitsune! feel like I just presented some bad evidence

entremet

Did they fix the typos in DD? I know they did in the iOS version, but I would like the 3DS version for posterity.

Madao

Personally I enjoy the court room stuff and the investigations parts (especially in Apollo Justice which people always skip...), and there's no new elements to it later in the game, apart from the 5th case of the first game that was added for the DS release (it's also in the Trilogy).

It's mostly a visual novel with point and click elements, and it does never get more dynamic. If you weren't really engaged by the first game, you will probably quit the whole thing some time in the second game anyway which has some really drawn out cases with really annoying characters and not very engaging plot lines (no one cares about the circus).

Not sure if the Trilogy lets you skip cases, but if you don't like PLAYING it and just want to follow the main story of the characters you care about, here are the cases you need to play to skip the fillers:

First game
1. The First Turnabout
2. Turnabout Sisters
4. Turnabout Goodbyes

Second game
2. Reunion and Turnabout

Third game
1. Turnabout Memories
4. Turnabout Beginnings

However, you will be missing out on some fun trials (case 2-4 is considered the best case in the series by some).

you can't skip trials in the 3DS version.
the only thing you could do is start with any game in any order. beyond that, you have to unlock each case like in the originals.

Did they fix the typos in DD? I know they did in the iOS version, but I would like the 3DS version for posterity.

DD never got patched. i'm sure the typos are still there.

MuchoMalo

Banned

First game
1. The First Turnabout
2. Turnabout Sisters
4. Turnabout Goodbyes

Second game
2. Reunion and Turnabout

Third game
1. Turnabout Memories
4. Turnabout Beginnings

2-4 isn't just filler in any way, shape, or form. It's very important to certain character arcs.

Either way, no, you can't skip cases though you can play the games in any order.

Sora_N

Is the trilogy worth picking up?

I don't own the DS games anymore and it'd be too expensive to buy them again now.

Lkr

Any differences between trilogy and NA DS releases? I have the first two + Apollo and borrowed T&T from a friend ages ago. Wondering if it's worth picking up, I honestly don't know if I need to replay these

I really don't understand how there are typos. Don't they have someone play the game before releasing it? I've noticed every typo so far and I'm not getting paid to look for them.

Dee Dee

2-4 isn't just filler in any way, shape, or form. It's very important to certain character arcs.

Either way, no, you can't skip cases though you can play the games in any order.

Hm, is it really important to understand what's happening in game 3 though? I know what you are talking about, as I said, it's a popular case and of course the final trials always are the grand finale in each game.

Anyway, since you can't skip cases in the 3DS version when you play it for the first time, there's no use in considering this.

And again, if you don't enjoy "playing" the games I'd say leave it be.
You can watch the crazy live action movie for the plot of the first game instead though.
Haha, this is probably an even more controversial suggestion than telling you to skip cases or to watch a let's play (personally I found the movie to be hilarious).

First game
1. The First Turnabout
2. Turnabout Sisters
4. Turnabout Goodbyes

Second game
2. Reunion and Turnabout

Third game
1. Turnabout Memories
4. Turnabout Beginnings

Thank you for your thoughtful insight, sounds like just watching a Let's Play is more up my alley with these games.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Any differences between trilogy and NA DS releases? I have the first two + Apollo and borrowed T&T from a friend ages ago. Wondering if it's worth picking up, I honestly don't know if I need to replay these
v
Any reason to get the trilogy if I have the DS games and beat them ice ages ago?

Graphics are a bit refreshed, so if you fell like replaying it one day you have them all in one place in a cleaner looking version. Also removed some typos (and added a few new ones!).

If you aren't one to replay story heavy games, you can easily skip this. Also, they go on sale very regularly, so this isn't your last chance to grab them for cheap.

coopolon

When I discovered they finally added the ability to go through dialogue quickly by pressing the a button I bought the trilogy immediately. I could never get through the original games because they're just sooooooo damn s l o w w a I t I n g f o r e v e r y l e t t e r.

Sora_N

Bought the trilogy, looks pretty good to me. I'm surprised they added 3D.

Price is great! (even in Canadian)

DeathPeak

Ok, so I've never played the AA games. Been semi-interested for awhile. This sale has me close to checking them out. A little background would be helpful.

1. Is each game a continuation/direct sequel? "Trilogy" gives me the impression that it is.

2. If not, would you recommend DD or Trilogy? Even so, would DD be hard to follow without having played the trilogy?

3. Is DLC a must to thoroughly enjoy DD?

4. Ultimately, which is considered the best?

dickroach

played the trilogy a few years back and had a great time. there were a few cases I loved that other people said were shitty (something with a circus comes to mind)

DD worth picking up?

Sandfox

Ok, so I've never played the AA games. Been semi-interested for awhile. This sale has me close to checking them out. A little background would be helpful.

1. Is each game a continuation/direct sequel? "Trilogy" gives me the impression that it is.

2. If not, would you recommend DD or Trilogy? Even so, would DD be hard to follow without having played the trilogy?

I would say just go for the trilogy.

dickroach

get the trilogy. start with 1. you'll end up playing thru all 3.
and yeah, there is a story that flows thru all the 3 games, and if you're going to buy the trilogy you might as well start with 1. but I don't think you'd be too lost if you started with 2 or 3. they kinda re-cap past events a little from what I remember.

Hinchy

Yes, it has continuity. The trilogy is the most cohesive part, hence why it's called a trilogy. Game 4, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney has a big time skip and a new protagonist but is definitely continuous.

Dual Destinies is game 5 and has the return of Phoenix as main protagonist. It is definitely after Apollo Justice though and includes him playable as well.

But it also goes out of its way to sort of not really touch much on the events of Apollo's game? The series had a really long gap in mainline releases so Dual Destinies is sort of meant to be a jumping in point, and you would be able to get some enjoyment out of it.

Ultimately though I'd recommend starting with the trilogy and playing the whole thing in order.

The first and third games are probably overall considered the best in the series. The core original trilogy is probably going to remain the definitive bit of the franchise. So I'd definitely tell you to start there.

(It looks like the next game, #6, Spirit of Justice, will be returning to some of the loose threads from #4, Apollo Justice, as well, so it's definitely not like that game is being disavowed. It's a shame there's no easy way to get it right now; that it's not available on the eShop like the other games in the series.)

EDIT: The DLC case is one of the best in Dual Destinies. If you pick it up, get the DLC. It doesn't detract from the rest of the game or anything it's just an extra standalone case.

Ace Attorney kicks ass. Do yourself a favor and get Trilogy and Dual Destinies and its DLC right now, and go track down a DS copy of Apollo Justice since that's the only way to play it. You'll thank me later.

ohlawd

1. more of a continuation than direct sequels. if anything, the direct sequel stuff happens in the same game. like case 1 is referenced in case 3, something like that.

2. I'd recommend all of them, not really the answer you want lol. to get a bit more out of DD, you need 4 (titled Apollo Justice, which is not in AA Trilogy). 4 happens after a big timeskip in 3 and 3 makes use of 1 and 2. all of them lol.

3. DD's DLC case is one of my favorite cases in the whole series. it's awesome

4. best AA? I'd rank them like this; 3 > 5 > 1 > I2 > 2 > 4 > I1

but yes, like the post above that really drives it home, play them all when time and money permits. the series is totally unique and still has no equal to this day.

Top Bottom