• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 6: Spirit Of Justice coming this September to NA/EU, digital-only

On one hand, the omission of Athena could be more broadly concerning, as it could suggest that "Oh, see, people don't like female protagonists, relegate her to secretary status, where women belong."

At the same time, they made Athena fairly annoying with her excessive cheer, so I wouldn't be terribly bothered by her exclusion as a character.

Conflicted.

Sorry, not native english speaker. What is wrong here?

It should be the plural "miracles" - "Miracles never happen."

Kevinroc

On one hand, the omission of Athena could be more broadly concerning, as it could suggest that "Oh, see, people don't like female protagonists, relegate her to secretary status, where women belong."

At the same time, they made Athena fairly annoying with her excessive cheer, so I wouldn't be terribly bothered by her exclusion as a character.

Conflicted.

Athena is in the game. We just don't know if she'll have her own case.

kagamin

They can't all be on the level of "The miracle never happen."

tumblr_lftetdK0lS1qdwm57.png

Eddyhdzg

Banned
I need this game already, so excited.

Are all Ace Attorney games on the eShop? I would buy a 3DS to re-play these.

1-3(Trilogy) and 5 are the only ones of the eshop. I think the Layton one is on the eshop, not even sure.

4 and the Edgeworth games are not on the eshop.

Edgeworth 2 and Dai are not even localized so obviously those aren't on the eshop.

HardRojo

We knew it was coming, but it's sad to know this series will probably be digital-only overseas now, especially considering how shitty Nintendo is when it comes to digital content, which is probably my main reason to dislike this series being digital-only here.

Dai Gyakuten Saiban... Will that ever come out over here? Not a chance, right? Just like AAI2, I hope it at least gets a fan translation.

Ace Attorney Trilogy (First 3 games), Ace Attorney 5 and Ace Attorney 6 IIRC. So it's missing Apollo Justice (great entry) and Investigations.

Digital only was what I expected for AA6 release when they released that
huge statement of why AA5 was digital only....

"Historically it's been tough to attract long term retail support for Ace Attorney titles."
PLEASE I would buy them in a heartbeat if Capcom did limited released like NISA did for
Atelier Escha and Logy Plus...

But day one buy for me..

I wouldn't be surprised if AA5 sold more on iOS than 3DS outside Japan. So Capcom not releasing the iOS version right away makes no sense to me.
I'd actually be very surprised if the smartphone game outsold the 3DS version (or came even close).

And releasing the handheld version first makes a lot of sense anyway: They get 30 bucks out of their hard-core fans per sale (or more if it has a DLC case like 5 had), the ios version will be less than half that because those prices don't fly on mobile.

The first three are in a trilogy. 5 is.

4 and Ace Attorney Investigations aren't on the eShop, but are localized

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is fan translated, no chance of a western release.

The Great Ace Attorney, no chance of a western release, no fan translation yet.

FluxWaveZ

Sorry, not native english speaker. What is wrong here?

It's past tense, so it should be: "The miracle never happened."

The context is that it's one of the most famous typos in the Ace Attorney series because of how emotionally strong that scene was as a fail state, and yet it ends with something like that. It's pretty good.

Athena is in the game. We just don't know if she'll have her own case.

Oh, yeah, I know she's in the game. It's just the obvious effort to minimize her that could be read as problematic. I mean, just look at the PR:

beloved defense attorneys Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice

Athena is a rookie, sure, but AA5 effectively treated her as an equal member of the team.

It comes off as "don't bother to develop this female character to make her more likeable; just minimize her presence and focus on the men."

Maybe it's nothing, but we'll see. Like I said, I'm conflicted about it.

D-Man

Good shit man. I'm really excited for this and I'm glad to finally have a solid release window for it. I need more AA in my life.

TrueBlue

I thought people were quite happy with Athena when AA5 released, or was I mistaken?

I thought she was pretty great, hope she has her own case or plays a substantial role in the others.

FluxWaveZ

I thought people were quite happy with Athena when AA5 released, or was I mistaken?

I thought she was pretty great, hope she has her own case or plays a substantial role in the others.

Nope, Athena is a controversial character. I'm on the side that really likes her, but there are a significant number of people who don't.

Only real problem I had with Athena was Widget, and they scaled her banter with that thing a whole lot after the few times it happened at the start of the game.

LiK

mixed bag from OT, iirc. some love her and some don't care much for her. I like her.

HardRojo

Holy shit I just watched the trailer after reading the PR. I don't like this actor for Phoenix, the voice just doesn't sound right. It's the same guy from UMvC3 right?

Kevinroc

Oh, yeah, I know she's in the game. It's just the obvious effort to minimize her that could be read as problematic. I mean, just look at the PR:

"beloved defense attorneys Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice"

Athena is a rookie, sure, but AA5 effectively treated her as an equal member of the team.

It comes off as "don't bother to develop this female character to make her more likeable; just minimize her presence and focus on the men."

Maybe it's nothing, but we'll see. Like I said, I'm conflicted about it.

I understand. The English trailer was the same as the first Japanese trailer for the game, which didn't have Athena at all. But she was fairly prominent in later trailers. Hopefully she gets her own case in this game, just like in Dual Destinies. (I enjoyed Turnabout Academy.)

zulux21

damn it capcom... why can't you at least rip me off by offering a limited physical version with a 2 page art book and a single song CD for like $100 that I could buy :/

so many routes they could take to get a physical release with this, but they won't consider any of them.

I'll likely still buy it but I very well might wait for a sale even though the AA series is my favorite mobile series.

ZeroX03

Banned
For like the 10th time, Athena suuuuuucks

Hope it's a proper 6th case this time.

AA5 was a great, meaty game and the price for the dlc case was ok...

...but it's so obvious that case 4 and 5 were supposed to be a single case 5 and the dlc was conceived as the 4th case, which was then locked behind a paywall.

Yeah it's obvious that Turnabout Rapping Pirates was stripped from the game. It appears they're a little more prepared for DLC this time around and planned in advance.

Enjolras

Neo Member
Eh, digital only is no surprise to me. Got a nice spot on my homescreen next to DD and the trilogy just waiting for it!

I'm also really happy about September - thought I was going to have to wait a bit more for it. Day 1, for sure!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So same as AA5, it's what I expected. I'm okay with all that. Man I wish they would freaking release AA4 and The Great AA digital only... I'd pay $40!!!

So I have a few months to finish AA3 (on case 3) and replay AA5 before September, cool!

Yeah, I don't really like Athena either, but her case in AA5 was my favorite outside of the DLC one. I still don't really think she's particularly interesting though, but Turnabout Academy was a really neat case.

Eddyhdzg

Banned
Athena is fucking awesome, but I can see how having three main attorneys can be difficult to manage.

Athena will just be Apollo's side kick, probably.

CronoShot

I hate to be THAT guy, but I would like to see an iOS port like AA5.

Ace Attorney really doesn't need buttons, and the higher res iPhone screens make the game look quite a bit better.

TrueBlue

Nope, Athena is a controversial character. I'm on the side that really likes her, but there are a significant number of people who don't.

Only real problem I had with Athena was Widget, and they scaled her banter with that thing a whole lot after the few times it happened at the start of the game.

mixed bag from OT, iirc. some love her and some don't care much for her. I like her.

Huh. The more you know.

I mean, I thought she was pretty inoffensive at worst, but there you go.

Top Bottom