• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Trilogy coming to the West

daydream

Banned
-For those who have played through the Japanese version in English, have the extraneous typos gotten fixed? Seriously, something like this...

...is completely unacceptable for a professional product.

I can't imagine fixing such a thing could take more than a couple of minutes. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Luckily, I have a certain reverence for translation errors, haha. It's not something we see often anymore.

rekameohs

Banned
I can't imagine fixing such a thing could take more than a couple of minutes. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Luckily, I have a certain reverence for translation errors, haha. It's not
something we see often anymore.
Nah, man. It's hard getting these things right.

tumblr_n4e1yxldrj1rf9trko1_500.png

It's not like this is the single most seen evidence in the series or anything!

daydream

Banned

LOL maybe only having the German translation to play for the first one wasn't such a bad thing after all.

j/k attponey is hilarious, I need to see this for myself

Son Of D

So as someone who's never played the PW games would it be better for me to get this when it releases in EU? I'd imagine it'll be £24.99 so it'll be cheaper for me to buy the trilogy than buying the DS games separately.

So as someone who's never played the PW games would it be better for me to get this when it releases in EU? I'd imagine it'll be £24.99 so it'll be cheaper for me to buy the trilogy than buying the DS games separately.
If you've never played the series, then this collection is a good start.

ss-hikaru

I was waiting for this announcement. I guess I'll import the Japanese version since no physical western release :( Although, I'm a little apprehensive hearing about the typos XD Eh, I guess it doesn't really matter since I want to buy it more for collector's purposes rather than to replay them.

The only other problem with importing it is the chance that Capcpom might take (potentially) lower sales of the re-re-re-released digital trilogy as some sort of indicator of the AA series popularity in the west... -_-

blamite

Awesome, I've been meaning to catch up on this series forever, I'm glad waiting paid off. Hopefully the rest of the series is also made available i a form like this.

Grief.exe

I was waiting for this announcement. I guess I'll import the Japanese version since no physical western release :( Although, I'm a little apprehensive hearing about the typos XD Eh, I guess it doesn't really matter since I want to buy it more for collector's purposes rather than to replay them.

The only other problem with importing it is the chance that Capcpom might take (potentially) lower sales of the re-re-re-released digital trilogy as some sort of indicator of the AA series popularity in the west... -_-

The 3DS is region locked though.

I think I'll stick with my DS versions, but if it was my first time playing I'd totally be all over this, believe me.

I don't even hate the new art like some people do. But after spending so much time with the old art, it's just comforting.

edit: I take it back, Phoenix's face looks kind of weird

Verelios

I think I'll stick with my DS versions, but if it was my first time playing I'd totally be all over this, believe me.

I don't even hate the new art like some people do. But after spending so much time with the old art, it's just comforting.
I don't know, there's something about the original Ds series sprite work that was just mesmerizing. I could spend hours looking at facial expressions and idle animations. It really showed how much care went into creating the characters.

I'm not knocking the new artstyle but it just looks plastic like to me. I can't in all honesty say I like it, but that may be because I played the sprite trilogy first. So I can see how people who like clean graphics, sharp colors, etc. might enjoy this.

FSLink

Banned
-How does the game perform? It doesn't have any slowdown, does it?
-Did the soundtracks get fixed? I noticed that Pearl's theme is back (thank goodness), but do JFA and T&T have the DS/Wiiware quality soundtrack?
-For those who have played through the Japanese version in English, have the extraneous typos gotten fixed? Seriously, something like this...
1. Haven't seen slowdown yet. (I only played 3 cases of 1, and 1 case of 3 so far).

2. Apparently they're based off of the HQ versions from the Gyakuten Saiban Sound Box. I don't have the iOS version so I can't do a direct comparison.

3. Also haven't noticed any typos but I'll let everyone know. Is there a list of typos in the iOS version anywhere?

I also do think the new art doesn't look nearly as bad on an actual 3DS XL than the screenshots.

graywords

As hilarious as these terrible typos are, I hope beyond hope that they are aware of them and fix as many as possible prior to release of the 3DS version.

I have no idea how typos like this get introduced. Did someone manually retype the text into the iOS version? Copy and paste is a thing, yo.

As hilarious as these terrible typos are, I hope beyond hope that they are aware of them and fix as many as possible prior to release of the 3DS version.

I have no idea how typos like this get introduced. Did someone manually retype the text into the iOS version? Copy and paste is a thing, yo.

They aren't present in the 3DS release (the JP one at least). The usual DS translation issues seem to be present, though.

rekameohs

Banned

I may be wrong, but I think that the iOS version used the text from the English option in the Japanese DS games, which I don't believe had fully been edited to iron out the typos. I seem to remember reading that the "the killer you" text was in that one, too.

Good to hear the Japanese version of this release seems to use the North American DS text, which - while still having some errors - is still a lot better!

Too bad it'll probably have fixed "The miracle never happen" like the EU version did. That one's a classic!

graywords

They aren't present in the 3DS release (the JP one at least). The usual DS translation issues seem to be present, though.

Glad to hear this. :)

I may be wrong, but I think that the iOS version used the text from the English option in the Japanese DS games, which I don't believe had fully been edited to iron out the typos. I seem to remember reading that the "the killer you" text was in that one, too.

Interesting possibility. I played through most of the English releases, as well as the Japanese releases, but never thought to play through the English option on the Japanese releases, since I assumed they were identical to the English releases.

Why are we getting this before Phenoix vs Layton? I'm starting to worry that I'll have to import just to play that.
How do you know that? I don't think Level-5 has announced Layton vs Ace Attorney release date yet, and I wouldn't be too surprised if that's shown on the Nintendo Digital Event.

Looking past the typo, this is just so poorly designed. There needs to be padding to the left of the text in the evidence description, the typeface is inappropriate for in-game text (for one thing, it's way too bold), and in the background, you can see that the dialog is slightly off center vertically and the box is way too wide for it.

The games were so polished on the DS. This stuff would bug me the entire time I was playing it.

Pikma

Banned
I'd pay $50 just to have it physical tbh, nowadays Capcpom really sucks, but at least they're still releasing new games in the series...

hongcha

I know I'm late here but I'm playing the iOS version now and that typo isn't in there. I haven't noticed others yet either, but I'm not far along. So they must have fixed at least some of the typos in a recent update. Hopefully this 3DS version is typo-free from the get-go.

NolbertoS

Hmm, I own most of the Ace Attorney games on DS, but haven't had a chance to play them due to my backlog. Might double dip though to play on 3DS.

Top Bottom