• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace combat 6 on playstation 3?

Bulla564

Banned
I was actually hoping for an AC developed from the ground up on PS3. Regardless, this great news came sooner than expected.

Emiru

Banned
sakuragi said:
But who didn't saw this coming anyway? :lol
seriously, AC6 and ES was always timed exclusive. Namco even had that list of games in development for all consoles, 23 for ps3 24 for 360, and 30+ for wii

llTll

Banned
i have both PS3 and xbox 360.

if the PS3 version confirmed, then i will buy it if it has better graphcis [ or at least the same ] plus more levels / and has solid online play.

but who am i kidding. i will probably get the xbox 360 AC6 because of LIVE.

It doesn't surprise me (like Trusty Bell) since it was quite likely seeing the Namco CH PS3 list. But its about time to see something more than that.

Now 360/PS3...Namco off the factors list to make me choose one over another. SE and Mistwalker remain there :/

gkryhewy

Philanthropist said:
The AC6 announcement is not surprising at all given that the fan base is on Playstation platforms

This is an old argument and not really true. The 360 fanbase =/= the Xbox fanbase, and it's highly unlikely that a PS3 version would outsell the 360 version. Still, multiplatform makes all the sense in the world.

jarrod

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
I wonder if games like time crisis will end up on 360 if these do end up on ps3.
TC4 seems iffy due to the Guncon investment... I think Smash Court 360 is pretty likely though.

ram

gkrykewy said:
This is an old argument and not really true. The 360 fanbase =/= the Xbox fanbase, and it's highly unlikely that a PS3 version would outsell the 360 version.

ridge racer tells another story...

Lo-Volt

AceStation confirmed. Always good news to have a good experience on as many platforms as possible, and it does seem to be one of the few real hits (as opposed to misses) from Namco this generation.

gkrykewy said:
This is an old argument and not really true. The 360 fanbase =/= the Xbox fanbase, and it's highly unlikely that a PS3 version would outsell the 360 version. Still, multiplatform makes all the sense in the world.
The series is big in japan.

Lobster said:
AC6 could work really well with PS3, especially if they have some good flight controls on the six-axis. Motion control fanboys wet dream.

Eh after trying it out with Warhawk, I definitely have my doubts.

gkryhewy

ram said:
ridge racer tells another story...

Does it? My impression is that both RR6 and RR7 sold jack shit, although RR7 did marginally better.

devilscallmedad said:
Really? i was under the impression the games are Million + sellers. Is is big anywhere then

I'm not sure about Million+ (although probably worldwide), but the AC games have their largest fanbase in the US.

gkrykewy said:
Does it? My impression is that both RR6 and RR7 sold jack shit, although RR7 did marginally better.

Ridge 7 actually hit 100k in Japan and I believe the US as well, so it did quite a bit better.

gkryhewy

Red Blaster said:
Ridge 7 actually hit 100k in Japan and I believe the US as well, so it did quite a bit better.

Source? I'd believe Japan MAYBE.
HINT: If you're going by ********, which you really shouldn't do, they also have RR6 at 100k+ in the US.
In any case, 100k is peanuts. We can expect much more from AC6.

gkrykewy said:
Source? I'd believe Japan MAYBE. In any case, 100k is peanuts. We can expect much more from AC6.

Ridge Racer 7 is number one at 130,000 total sales

http://kotaku.com/gaming/bandai-namco/index.xml (it's about half way down). No absolute source on the US figure but it was one of the top selling titles on PS3 during the holiday season (Behind Resistance and Madden).

Don't know how much Ace 6 will pull, Zero diluted the franchise a bit.

gkryhewy

Red Blaster said:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/bandai-namco/index.xml (it's about half way down). No absolute source on the US figure but it was one of the top selling titles on PS3 during the holiday season (Behind Resistance and Madden).

Kotaku's source was probably the site that shall not be named. But whatever - both versions sold peanuts, and are of the same order of magnitude (unless you consider ~200k worldwide to be a dramatic outperformance of ~150k worldwide).

I do expect much more from AC6 on 360, but we'll see!

jonabbey

I enjoyed the hell out of Ace Combat on PS2, I'd pick it up if it does come out for PS3.

I didn't even sour grapes it when it was a 360 exclusive. ;-)

ram

gkrykewy said:
Source? I'd believe Japan MAYBE.
HINT: If you're going by ********, which you really shouldn't do, they also have RR6 at 100k+ in the US.
In any case, 100k is peanuts. We can expect much more from AC6.

what? its ace combat - it will sell even less than that.:lol

Kittonwy

Banned
If it does come out on the PS3 I guess I might buy it.
Indifferent2.gif

Vyer

Neither this nor Eternal Sonata should be a big surprise, but it's good to have more 'confirmation' nonetheless.

glaurung

jonabbey said:
I enjoyed the hell out of Ace Combat on PS2, I'd pick it up if it does come out for PS3.

I didn't even sour grapes it when it was a 360 exclusive. ;-)

I still play Zero and 5 with upscaling on PS3. Great music and excellent action combined. Good series, too bad the sixth one doesn't seem to include the crazy sci-fi planes (Wyvern, Morgan, Falken etc).

Aleman

glaurung said:
I still play Zero and 5 with upscaling on PS3. Great music and excellent action combined. Good series, too bad the sixth one doesn't seem to include the crazy sci-fi planes (Wyvern, Morgan, Falken etc).

Their seemed to be some enemy planes that had ridiculous handling in the AC6 demo. They might be sci-fi.

v0yce

I was hoping to hear this.

Anyone want to venture a guess at whether or not my AC5 Flightstick will work with AC6 on PS3?

gkryhewy

v0yce said:
I was hoping to hear this.

Anyone want to venture a guess at whether or not my AC5 Flightstick will work with AC6 on PS3?

I would imagine so - the 360 stick is basically identical. Good deal for you!

gkrykewy said:
Highly unlikely? I'm afraid the installed base in Japan will disagree with you. If the previous AC titles on PS2 didn't sell that much, they're not going to sell more on the 360 all of a sudden and without fan base.

gkryhewy

Philanthropist said:
Highly unlikely? I'm afraid the installed base in Japan will disagree with you. If the previous AC titles on PS2 didn't sell that much, they're not going to sell more on the 360 all of a sudden and without fan base.

You may not have been paying attention, but AC games have historically sold very well in the US, where there are a lot of 360 units, and not so much in Japan. We'll see. Also, stop assuming about the lack of fanbase. There are a lot of early PS2 buyers who bought 360s rather than PS3s (anecdotally).

ram

Aegus said:
I read somewhere that AC04 sold over 1 million copies in the US alone. (Wiki seems to confirm this)

sure - but once ridge racer was a million+ seller too. times are changing...

gkrykewy said:
You may not have been paying attention, but AC games have historically sold very well in the US, where there are a lot of 360 units, and not so much in Japan. We'll see. Also, stop assuming about the lack of fanbase. There are a lot of early PS2 buyers who bought 360s rather than PS3s (anecdotally).
Anecdotally, the PS2 installed base was always huge in the US (certainly greater than 360's) and that didn't push the AC game sales so dramatically, so what's your point? ;-)

Madman

antiloop said:
An editor and mod on a big Swedish (hardware site though) forum said a few days ago that "Bioshock is for sure coming to PS3". He isn't allowed to state his source though.
But it's starting to sound very likely.
Someone made a ban bet here it was coming to the PS3. I don't remember who though. Claimed he got it from a "source."

gkryhewy

Philanthropist said:
Anecdotally, the PS2 installed base was always huge in the US (certainly greater than 360's) and that didn't push the AC game sales so dramatically, so what's your point? ;-)

Sigh... Ace Combat 4 and Ace Combat 5 sold enormously well in the US. That's all I'm saying. This franchise has been very successful in the US. I will repeat this, since you seem to have overlooked it several times. This franchise has been very successful in the US.

It could still bomb; who knows? I'm just saying that to assume AC's core fanbase consists of hardcore playstation fans in Japan is ridiculous.

BTW, I bet there are more 360s in US homes now than there were PS2s in US homes in October 2001 (when AC4 was launched, one year after PS2's US launch), so install base shouldn't be a factor. Changing tastes or franchise fatigue might be.

gkrykewy said:
Sigh... Ace Combat 4 and Ace Combat 5 sold enormously well in the US. That's all I'm saying. This franchise has been very successful in the US. I will repeat this, since you seem to have overlooked it several times. This franchise has been very successful in the US.
And I'm afraid you've overlooked the fact that it's been successful on the PS2, and possibly on the PS1 as well as the PSP, as I don't have the figures for all the PS titles to date anyway. Nobody knows how it'll perform on the 360, and I don't think Namco is all that confident about its success. At least, the PS systems have always been proven ground for this franchise, which is the main reason why the 360 exclusive announcement left so many people puzzled and disappointed.

It could still bomb; who knows? I'm just saying that to assume AC's core fanbase consists of hardcore playstation fans in Japan is ridiculous.
I didn't say that. All I said is that most of the AC fan base is most definitely on Playstation platforms, I would never believe most of it jumped platform ship. I'm not saying that it can't earn more fans on other platforms, but it sure can earn fans on PS3 in Japan and anywhere else, and move some of its former previous generations fan base to this platform.

J-Rzez

So does that mean AC is irrelevant again? IIRC from that other thread and ones before it, AC was never a good series, until it was announced for the 360 as an exclusive...

Aleman

J-Rzez said:
So does that mean AC is irrelevant again? IIRC from that other thread and ones before it, AC was never a good series, until it was announced for the 360 as an exclusive...

What? Who said that? AC has always been awesome.

<nu>faust

Wollan said:
They're putting it on more platforms didn't they say? I mean, I'm pretty sure the PS3 is the top candidate.
well recently konami & square enix gave same kinda statements about metal gear solid and final fantasy franchises. so you're saying final fantasy 13 and metal gear 4 on 360 confirmed too?

going back to the topic i'd love to have cross platform online battles for ac4, it would rock!.

gkryhewy

Philanthropist said:
I didn't say that. All I said is that most of the AC fan base is most definitely on Playstation platforms, I would never believe most of it jumped platform ship. I'm not saying that it can't earn more fans on other platforms, but it sure can earn fans on PS3 in Japan and anywhere else, and move some of its former previous generations fan base to this platform.

You seem to have this odd illusion that the majority of console buyers care about console brand loyalty, and maintain it from console generation to console generation. Clearly this is not the case, but I'm glad it's coming to PS3 anyway. More AC6 sales regardless of platform means a greater chance for AC7.

I'm simply predicting that AC6 on 360 will outsell AC6 on PS3 for the reasons outlined repeatedly above. Your reasons to the contrary seem to be limited to playstation brand loyalty, which hasn't really done much for the PS3, and so we'll see.

Top Bottom