• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACE COMBAT 7 (Bandai Namco, Project Aces, UE4) coming to Playstation 4 & PSVR

Espada

FUCK YESSSSSSS!!!!!

I laughed like a madman and grinned from ear to ear when I heard this news and saw the trailer.

Ace Combat is BACK! And in Strangereal at that, thank goodness. PSX did nothing but make my list of future games grow even longer. All I need is news of a new Soul Calibur and I'm good.

Sorral

I haven't had a reveal that gave me goosebumps like this in a long while just from starting up... Finally! 😵

Burt

Looking forward to it, but looking forward more to a VR-only Ace Combat 8. "VR-exclusive features" sounds like tacked on Kinect support, when a game like this would explode heads if it was built for VR from the ground up. Definitely excited to see that when it comes around.

KingJ2002

This announcement made my decade... thank you Namco Bandai!

"PlayStation®4 players will be further immersed in ACE COMBAT 7’s realism through exclusive features developed specifically for the Sony PlayStation®VR."

Sounds like there's VR elements to enhance the experience... but the game is also playable without it.

Gren

Even though I usually prefer 3rd person view (I like looking at my plane & its paintjob), this is definitely something I could get behind for VR. Perhaps the first such title I'm actually excited to experience in that way.

Great to know it's going back to Strangereal as well. Last gen just wasn't the same with only one classic AC.

mcz117chief

All right we are back in business. Now I hope there will be an option for dogfight mode :)

what is your guy's favorite jets

fenrir_skin_sp2.jpg

Definitely Fenrir, second is Morgan.

Randam

This announcement made my decade... thank you Namco Bandai!

"PlayStation®4 players will be further immersed in ACE COMBAT 7’s realism through exclusive features developed specifically for the Sony PlayStation®VR."

Sounds like there's VR elements to enhance the experience... but the game is also playable without it.

let us hope so.

and that it is realy comparable with 4, 5, Zero and 6.

Bastos

Hope it's 60FPS and completely different from that Assault Horizon POS.

My dad is hyped like never before since he haven't played a decent Ace Combat since the PS2.

mcz117chief

Have they announced anything about dogfight mode and air strike mode (CRA system)? I would be really bummed out if they removed it completely. Maybe not make it as mandatory as it is in Assault Horizon but definitely keep it, it was a step in the right direction.

Dio

Banned
ace combat has always had goofy VA but what the fuck was up with the stuff in this trailer? someone ask them about that

ace combat has always had goofy VA but what the fuck was up with the stuff in this trailer? someone ask them about that

i popped in 4 last night to give it a nostalgic spin and that game's level of quality with its story and va is something that modern namco is seemingly incapable of achieving

Boogdud

Have they announced anything about dogfight mode and air strike mode (CRA system)? I would be really bummed out if they removed it completely. Maybe not make it as mandatory as it is in Assault Horizon but definitely keep it, it was a step in the right direction.

/boothisman.gif

I'm so off board if they go the dogfight mode in just about any shape or form. That stuff killed ace combat for me, one of my favorite franchises since the original arcade cabinet.

JamboGT

I think they realised the dogfight mode was shit and put people off, no sign of it in Infinity and as this is an actual numbered Ace Combat I hope we don't get any of that crap.

Shoeless

I just hope these VR elements that they're referring to are actual gameplay, rather than a Forza/Kinect-esque "walk around the plane in the hanger and check out the cockpit and landing gear" kind of deal.

I mean, on thinking about it, keeping the frame rate up on a dual display is going to probably mean a significant downgrade in graphics to keep the performance up, so what if the VR functionality is strictly on the side and you can't actually play the game that way?

mcz117chief

/boothisman.gif

I'm so off board if they go the dogfight mode in just about any shape or form. That stuff killed ace combat for me, one of my favorite franchises since the original arcade cabinet.

Because who wants to play multiplayer, right? Assault Horizon managed the impossible and made fun pvp in Ace Combat all thanks to dogfight mode, besides that, if you played Ace Combat 6 on higher difficulty you would know how such a chore it is because of the extremely ass missiles in the whole franchise. If they are going to remove dogfight then they will have to make missiles realistic and make them almost impossible to dodge without ecm or flares, otherwise we are going to see the infinite spiral hell again.

Dogfight mode is awesome, it works and is fun as hell, the only problem I have with it is that it is a bit too mandatory since the only way to kill marked enemies is with dogfight mode which is a bit too forced, they should leave it up to the player if he wants to use it or not.

One of these has to happen:
1) leave the missiles as they are and give us dogfight mode
2) make missiles realistic and thus make dogfight mode obsolete

I think they realised the dogfight mode was shit and put people off, no sign of it in Infinity and as this is an actual numbered Ace Combat I hope we don't get any of that crap.

Choose: you will either have extremely passive AI like we can see in Ace Combat 4,5,0, Infinity and partially in 6 or we will have competent AI that tries to actually evade your attacks and behave with a glimpse of intelligence like in Assault Horizon. The former doesn't need dogfight mode while the other one does, if we keep the missiles as they are.

Salaadin

Anyone play AC4 or 5 on PCSX2? Do they run well enough?
Going to try and get them set up with my Thrustmaster stick.

zeroroute

Banned
When they said 20 years I was thinking Tekken VR. Then the trailer started and OH SHIT indeed. Hope the VR on this and Rez doesn't make people hurl.

DieH@rd

Banned

Ssame as with pCARS and GT Sport.

Hope the VR on this and Rez doesn't make people hurl.

Flight simulators are great in VR [planes, spaceships].
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU0Faan49nI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDKsdz5yZDk

REZ on the other hand.. that looked psychodelic, I have no clue how will that mess our brains. :D

Top Bottom