• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

dankir

3rd Party 1/6 Magneto, not bad, kind of wish the face was more expressive though.
What do you think? The company is called Toys Era and selling him for $168 but I've never heard of them, so can't comment on the quality.

https://www.facebook.com/toysera1008?fref=photo

12027561_907181856023118_2576137647188114685_n.jpg

12046719_906496739424963_506325221730054729_n.jpg

bryanee

I posted these in the TF thread but I figured I'd post them here as well seeing as though I've added a few since the last time I posted in this thread.

Shit pictures ahead due to shit camera phone.

Pi6MG8z.jpg

6KlQ3Qx.jpg

VYZJ1fd.jpg

oHWLEkk.jpg

bryanee

All re-issue except Grimlock. I don't like buying stuff like this second hand so these re-issues were a godsend for me.

lo yeah the Detolfs are great. Cheap and they look great.

Replicant

Until you have to build them on your own. It's doable, of course. But I was kind of sad when I did it because I thought "I should have a friend to build this with. Would have been easier and a lot more fun." :(

bryanee

Until you have to build them on your own. It's doable, of course. But I was kind of sad when I did it because I thought "I should have a friend to build this with. Would have been easier and a lot more fun." :(

That I agree with. I tried to do it on my own once but balancing the three pieces of glass proved to hard so I gave up and waited.

dankir

All re-issue except Grimlock. I don't like buying stuff like this second hand so these re-issues were a godsend for me.

Yeah I have a lot of Encore, Takara Re-issues, etc. I'll post later on.

I didn't know Hot Toys were doing Original Comic TMNT figures, looks pretty cool.

12049428_166806846992114_2777018050846178722_n.jpg

12006256_166806873658778_6914153863513402637_n.jpg

12009549_166807026992096_1023437541229227137_n.jpg

edit: These are the mondo figures.

Another MP Rodimus? Glad I got out of the MP line. I just sold about 6 figures I had MP-01 to MP-08 with a bunch of variants in between them.

Well this is specifically Hot Rod, and the last Rodimus figure had a lot of problems so it's a worthwhile figure IMO

Hagi

Hot damn that Maul!?!!

Amiami asked my for payment earlier so hopefully I'll have mine by Friday, so hyped. Going to have to sit by the computer on Oct 1st so I can get Phasma. Already have two Stormtroopers preordered so that picture of her and the two behind her has me excited.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Got my SH Monsterarts Gigan in the mail!

The details are amazing, and the accessories are aces too.
If I had one complaint it's that the plastic feels a bit cheap and he has a kind of fragile feel to him overall. Not sure how the fragility could be avoided with all the little spikes that cover him though, so I can't really complain about that.

LiK

My Hot Toys Optimus Prime (Starscream Edition) came in today. I haven't had a chance to pose him much or get get everything out of the box but here's some shots for those interested. I'll have better pictures and thoughts later.

He looks good. Keeping the Starscream stuff off?

I'm glad it's optional as well. Not a fan of him with wings.

Frankly for the price, I have to say I was disappointed with the overall quality of the figure. It's $344 and I really expected some diecast or something. It's all plastic and feels a bit flimsy. :/

I didn't get much chance to mess around with him though but that's what I walked away feeling.

LiK

Frankly for the price, I have to say I was disappointed with the overall quality of the figure. It's $344 and I really expected some diecast or something. It's all plastic and feels a bit flimsy. :/

I didn't get much chance to mess around with him though but that's what I walked away feeling.

That's a bummer. Sorta like ThreeZero Rex. All plastic. Must be licensing tax. The sculpt still looks awesome.

dankir

Anybody order Maria Hill AoU figure from sideshow? I just PO'd her now seeing that I can only get her from Sideshow in NA.

Drayco21

My Guardians Legends set came in this week! I'll have to get some pictures later tonight/tomorrow, but I'm in love with it. Glad to get the best versions of some of these characters in plastic before the designs are lost forever for the MCU designs.

Star-Lord is quickly becoming one of my favorite figures of all time.

This should do it for pictures.:)

Wings attached and eyes lit up (both the eyes and Matrix of Leadership in his chest light up)

Close up with flash for some detail:

Long shot:

Poor Starscream:

Side profile:

Back with wings attached:

Chest open showing the Matrix of Leadership:

No wings:

Back with no wings:

Box:

There's arms and shoulder canons I did not attach. I actually dug the wings look more than I thought but I'm displaying him sans wings regardless. I take back a little about what I said concerning the quality. Its too bad there's not more heft to it but the trade off is that the articulation is excellent and not nearly as stiff as you would expect from a figure of its size. The detailing is pretty damned nice too!

TruForce Collectibles X-Kai Mega Man X New York Comic Con 2015 exclusive. No idea on how many will be available at the show, but I'm looking to get there early as hell to try and grab one.

Will be priced at $89.99

TruForce Collectibles X-Kai Mega Man X New York Comic Con 2015 exclusive. No idea on how many will be available at the show, but I'm looking to get there early as hell to try and grab one.

Will be priced at $89.99

Oh my that's nice. I think I need to try and get one. It sounds like they'll be providing a way for people who Kickstarted it to be able to buy one. I hope that's true since I am one of those people.

Oh my that's nice. I think I need to try and get one. It sounds like they'll be providing a way for people who Kickstarted it to be able to buy one. I hope that's true since I am one of those people.

Yes, but the Kickstarter people won't be getting them until after the NYCC2015 goers get one. I was going KS the original but completely missed out on it.

Got my 3A Spartan Recruit today. A marked improvement over the notoriously bad Master Chief (seriously, look it up if you haven't heard about it). It can stand on its own, can easily hold its weapons with 2 hands, the magnets work, the legs and arms have improved articulation (although the legs are still hindered by the rubber suit at the hips albeit not as much). Sorry about the poor lighting, this was the best i could do in my home at this time of day.

Fjordson

Got my 3A Spartan Recruit today. A marked improvement over notoriously bad Master Chief (seriously, look it up if you haven't heard about it). It can stand on its own, can easily hold its weapons with 2 hands, the magnets work, the legs and arms have improved articulation (although the legs are still hindered by the rubber suit at the hips albeit not as much). Sorry about the poor lighting, this was the best i could do in my home at this time of day.
Looks good!

Good to hear they've moved past that master chief release. That was an awful figure.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Had to post a picture of Modified Gigan (using the accessories which came with the figure), because CHAINSAW ARMS:

Godzilla in full retreat. Knows he can't handle chainsaw arms.
Also, I love Gigan's tail so much. Unlike Godzilla's tail, the joints in Gigan's highly articulated tail have enough friction that it can stay in the air and be posed in really neat ways.

Drayco21

I took a bunch of pictures of the Guardians set. I can't remember the last time a figure purchase has made me as happy as these have.

Starting with my least favorite of the five, the new Drax the Destroyer is based on his costume from the current (awful) Bendis run of the book. From the waist down he's a repainted MCU Drax, with the Hyperion/Toxin/Anti-Venom torso, new lower arms and a new headsculpt. The new mold really beefs up him up from either of his past releases, and he comes with a nice set of accessories- he has the movie Drax knives, which still holster in his boots, an alternate pair of un-gloved hands, and two new huge knifes (the ones pictured) that I just love- they're simple, but look great in-person and really pop out. I don't think the new head sculpt is quite as good as the last one's, but I don't mind too much- he still looks great and will fill out the Bendis corner of my Cosmic shelf- I wasn't expecting them to be able to top the pretty much perfect Arnim Zola series Drax.

The next figure in the set, Gamora, is probably the last time we're going to see merchandise of this costume. She's made of the same "normal female" body that they made Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman and Scarlet Witch out of- fortunately she's using the non-heeled versions of the feet so she can actually stand, and of course she gets a new head and separate belt. Being a repaint of a featureless mold, and a costume with fishnets and lots of thin lines, there's a lot of painted detail that could easily get sloppy and look awful- fortunately, the paint is pretty solid, all things considered- some spill over, but it's generally not noticeable. What is noticeable is that she has mold lines and cracks running over the front of her thighs, which seems to be a really common issue, so that's a bummer for an otherwise fantastic figure. She comes with her Godslayer sword (re-purposed from an old Black Knight), a removable plastic cape, an alternate hooded head, and a softgoods poncho, which looks kinda goofy like most softgoods do, but is otherwise fine. Even with the mold lines, she's a massive improvement over her MCU counterpart, who is possibly my least favorite Marvel Legends purchase- she's a fantastic addition to the shelf.

I'm actually late to the party on the set's Rocket Raccoon, because this is the third use of this mold so far: he was originally the build-a-figure in the same wave that my avatar and Black Panther were available in (coincidentally, the same wave that got me collecting Marvel Legends. Kaine is my gateway drug, I guess), then he was repainted into his Annihilation: Conquest colors and given out as a promotional figure for signing up for a year of Marvel: Unlimited. This version is the same color scheme as the original, the standard 08 DnA uniform, but with a new head based on the art of Ed McGuinness from when Rocket showed up in Nova. This causes him to lose the hinged jaw, but I think the face is expressive and sharp enough to compensate, and he comes loaded with a miniature arsenal- the same rifle the other two had, a new rifle that I haven't seen before, and a repainted version of the Destroyer gun that came with Coulson. MCU Rocket was another real bummer of a figure, in my opinion, and I'm thrilled to have a more true-to-character version who doesn't look like he's really bummed out to be here.

Groot is basically just a repainted version of the MCU build-a-figure with a new head, but the BAF was an amazing figure in and of itself, so this is pretty great too. His new head is suitable monstrous, and does a good job of finding a middle ground between the DnA and Bendis versions of the character. The new Rocket can fit on his shoulders much more easily than the last one could, so that's pretty perfect, and the darker shade of brown he's painted in looks really nice in-hand. There's also another release of the Marvel Universe potted Groot figure added in here with him. I would've really liked it if Groot got his uniform, because something about naked Groot always rubbed me the wrong way from a design decision (I think it makes him feel like less of a person or member of the team; like, he doesn't need the uniform 'cuz he's just our dumb pet mascot. It doesn't gel.), but the tooling required would have been much more costly than Hasbro would be willing to do and then this set wouldn't exist- as is, he looks pretty great.

Finally, my all-time favorite comic costume design gets a figure, and it is magnificent. He's a very slight repaint of the SDCC Thanos Imperative set that I couldn't buy (he has a brown cover on his boots now, instead of solid black), which itself was a retool of the AIM Soldier from the Cap 2 wave. This figure is pretty much the perfect representation of the costume it's adapting, and is a blast to pose- quickly worming it's way as one of my all-time favorite figures too. He comes with his two Kree SMGs, and as a really neat bonus, a Cosmic Cube too. He doesn't hold the Cube very well, but it's a neat throw-in regardless, and he looks so great dual-wielding his guns that I couldn't see myself swapping accessories anyway.

This set probably doesn't appeal to a whole lot of people- there's a better Drax out there, this is the third release of Rocket, the second of Star-Lord, and Groot is just a head swap, but it's perfect for me. These are the Guardians of the Galaxy. Not the shitty, incoherent sociopaths and internet meme machines from the Bendis run, or the in name only MCU versions- this is the team that I fell in love with during the Annihilation books. These are the definitive versions of my favorite team in plastic form, and I love that this set exists, because now my Cosmic shelf features a fantastic DnA crew front and center. Hopefully a good comics Adam Warlock, Major Astro, Phyla or Mantis can happen in the Guardians 2 series, but when they inevitably don't, I'll be happy with the core members we got here.

Top Bottom