• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Posing my Monsterarts will never ever get old. I feel like a little kid again.

ewPqQhF.jpg

Sorry to keep spamming pictures of them, but I just love them so much. Just the coolest things ever.

Posing my Monsterarts will never ever get old. I feel like a little kid again.

Sorry to keep spamming pictures of them, but I just love them so much. Just the coolest things ever.

I have that Godzilla but I didn't know there were buildings for it. That's pretty cool. I'll have to go track those down now.

Kipp

Awesome, thanks!

Edit: Aaaaaaand ordered both, and this guy:

Yesss. Awesome.

MonsterArts are THE BEST.
I plan to get the effects set with the military vehicles as well as a second building/explosion effect set.
I'll probably get Kiryu very soon too.
And I still have Gamera and Godzilla 2000 unopened that I bought as gifts to future me. Haha

yami4ct

So, my Figurats Tridoron finally came in at Nin-Nin and now they're asking for extra money as they undercharged me on shipping. Fuck That. I'll pay it as they sort of have me over a barrel on this one, but I definitely will only be using them as a last resort in the future. I've sent them an email saying such as well, not that it'll have any real effect. Does make me feel better.

Replicant

So, my Figurats Tridoron finally came in at Nin-Nin and now they're asking for extra money as they undercharged me on shipping. Fuck That. I'll pay it as they sort of have me over a barrel on this one, but I definitely will only be using them as a last resort in the future. I've sent them an email saying such as well, not that it'll have any real effect. Does make me feel better.

Didn't I warn you of this scumbag company? They are such a piece of shit losers.

Why do you even want to use them as last resort? Fuck that. I'd rather go to Amazon JP, get the item from marketplace, send it to Tenso or other third party forwarder and let the item accumulate before shipping them here. Why give dickheads like Nin-nin your business?

But that if I'm really desperate. In most cases, whatever they get, Nippon-Yasan or Big in Japan usually get it faster.

PSA: DO NOT GIVE NIN-NIN YOUR BUSINESS. THEY ARE SHIT. SHIIIIT.

These arrived in the post yesterday. The likenesses are a marked improvement over the usual Marvel Legends fair.

ApR3lqg.jpg

vBQ7RJg.jpg

I was actually most excited about having a Mark Ruffalo action figure. Though his likeness is the weakest link in this pack. The Black Widow is just a repaint but a welcome one. I swapped the head with the previous release as it had a more subtle paint app.
pq9RHur.jpg

Thor's costume, Hammer and face are very well realised, though his height is still a massive issue for me.
k5T5CUv.jpg

And Hawkeye's craggy face was a nice surprise, detail-wise too.
MJpoObZ.jpg

Now I can assemble a pretty good Avengers team. Pictures to come later.

I really want a movie Vision now.

yami4ct

Didn't I warn you of this scumbag company? They are such a piece of shit losers.

Why do you even want to use them as last resort? Fuck that. I'd rather go to Amazon JP, get the item from marketplace, send it to Tenso or other third party forwarder and let the item accumulate before shipping them here. Why give dickheads like Nin-nin your business?

But that if I'm really desperate. In most cases, whatever they get, Nippon-Yasan or Big in Japan usually get it faster.

I did order my Tridoron before your incident with N-N, haha. Ultimately, they are really scummy and not worth the effort as well. I'm getting what I ordered for a fair price, so I can't complain too much, but their practices are certainly not focused on the consumer. As for using them as a last resort, the only thing I'd ever even consider ordering from them are Tamashii Webshop stuff and only if my other stores are sold out and I desperately need to avoid the aftermarket for some reason. Basically, that's a thing that won't happen.

Drayco21

These arrived in the post yesterday. The likenesses are a marked improvement over the usual Marvel Legends fair.

Now I can assemble a pretty good Avengers team. Pictures to come later.

I really want a movie Vision now.

I keep flip-flopping about whether I want to buy this or not; on one hand, Thor and Banner look great. On the other, I'm really disappointed in Hawkeye just being the first movie costume without glasses, and don't need a slightly repainted Widow, and the price tag just to get a decent Thor and Banner seems pretty hefty.

To be honest, I'd never even heard of Nin-Nin before they were mentioned in this thread, and I've been collecting for years.

LiK

To be honest, I'd never even heard of Nin-Nin before they were mentioned in this thread, and I've been collecting for years.

they popped up quite a few times in the old Figures thread. I avoided them because people said they sucked. I shall continue to take people's advice.

I keep flip-flopping about whether I want to buy this or not; on one hand, Thor and Banner look great. On the other, I'm really disappointed in Hawkeye just being the first movie costume without glasses, and don't need a slightly repainted Widow, and the price tag just to get a decent Thor and Banner seems pretty hefty.

He does use this costume in the shipyard sequence. Plus I never picked him up last time. No brainer for me but his jacket costume would have been nice...

K64kybU.jpg

Drayco21

He does use this costume in the shipyard sequence. Plus I never picked him up last time. No brainer for me but his jacket costume would have been.

I think I'd be more sold on Hawkeye with a better headsculpt. The trend Hasbro has had the last few years to make every face sculpt as bored, neutral and personality void as possible really turns me off on some characters- he just looks so lifeless. Just give me a cocky Hawkeye grin!

I think I'd be more sold on Hawkeye with a better headsculpt. The trend Hasbro has had the last few years to make every face sculpt as bored, neutral and personality void as possible really turns me off on some characters- he just looks so lifeless. Just give me a cocky Hawkeye grin!

I'm okay with a neutral face. Unless it's the Hulk I prefer figures to look like that. There was a trend in the early noughties to have everyone's face look like they were being stabbed. I just wish they got the person who sculpt Thor or Hawkeye in this pack to sculpt Starlord's and Cap's faces. I still don't know who they were supposed to look like...

The Hawkeye head sculpt looks a hell of a lot better in post release videos/photos I've seen than it did in product images. I'll be keeping an eye on prices for this set for him and Thor, though they are far from must haves for me at $80 plus tax for the set.

Anyone see the SH Figuarts Captain Phasma go up anywhere yet? I know these are going to sell out and I want to at least get a jump on getting one.

yami4ct

Anyone see the SH Figuarts Captain Phasma go up anywhere yet? I know these are going to sell out and I want to at least get a jump on getting one.

Isn't she going live tomorrow? I thought that was the case. It should be really early (for the western hemisphere) October 1st morning.

So it looks like the new FIguarts Decade is going up then as well. I need to determine if I really want that thing. I think the answer is yes.

Kipp

I'm so in love with Monsterarts.
Decided it was time to open up Godzilla 2000 (which I bought a few weeks back and was saving as a gift to future me in order to space out all the figures I bought at once).

So incredibly badass. Just a gorgeous sculpt.

It's really hard to capture how great these look with a camera. It seems like no matter what angle I take the picture from, it can't quite capture just how awesome it looks in the flesh.

Bandai Tamashii Nations has an event in Japan starting today, let's see that gets shown there.

Really hope they announce more Monsterarts.

I'm so in love with Monsterarts.
Decided it was time to open up Godzilla 2000 (which I bought a few weeks back and was saving as a gift to future me in order to space out all the figures I bought at once).

So incredibly badass. Just a gorgeous sculpt.

It's really hard to capture how great these look with a camera. It seems like no matter what angle I take the picture from, it can't quite capture just how awesome it looks in the flesh.

Really hope they announce more Monsterarts.

I had my eye on that one, but seeing your pic has made up my mind to get it. Thanks!

yami4ct

My SHF Tridoron looks like it's getting here tomorrow. So excited. I'll definitely post some photos. Should be a pretty special release.

Looks good!

Good to hear they've moved past that master chief release. That was an awful figure.
So bad, but I have some mods in mind for it, hopefully I can make something decent out of it.

It's weird, I'm not a big Star Wars fan or even a big Hot Toys collector, but I have a strange urge to buy the whole Force Awakens series.
You're just getting swept up in the hype, and as good as they look, it's probably wiser not to invest hundreds of dollars into a toyline for a movie you might not even like.

In fact, I'm finding the level of investment people are having in TFA stuff kind of scary. This is exactly what happened with The Phantom Menace 16 years ago, except now we should have the wisdom to not automatically assume that a new Star Wars is going to be good.

Fjordson

So bad, but I have some mods in mind for it, hopefully I can make something decent out of it.

You're just getting swept up in the hype, and as good as they look, it's probably wiser not to invest hundreds of dollars into a toyline for a movie you might not even like.

In fact, I'm finding the level of investment people are having in TFA stuff kind of scary. This is exactly what happened with The Phantom Menace 16 years ago, except now we should have the wisdom to not automatically assume that a new Star Wars is going to be good.
That could be it, though I never really cared about any of the Phantom Menace stuff since Star Wars usually just doesn't do much for me. Even the original trilogy as a kid never did.

It's just these Force Awakens Hot Toys specifically that are looking really nice for some reason lol it's weird.

Eh, I never really cared about Phantom Menace since like I said I've never been a big Star Wars fan. Even the original trilogy as a kid never did it for me.

It's just these Force Awakens Hot Toys specifically that are looking really nice for some reason.
The designs in the Force Awakens are pretty amazing modernizations of the classic designs, Snowtrooper visor notwithstanding. They translate very well into figure form, and the Hot Toys stuff looks incredible. If your attachment to the source material has no bearing on how much you like the figures then go for it, I'm sure they'll be great.

Fjordson

I think I'm just gonna get the Storm Trooper since you can't go wrong with a Stormtrooper and the new design looks pretty cool.

I do wonder what it'll be like if TFA turns out to be shit lol. So much merchandise and branding is already getting pumped out.

Hagi

I've bought quite a lot of Force Awakens stuff already but that hardly means I automatically assume the film is going to be good. I can only speak for myself but I'm mainly purchasing characters who I think look cool, TFA could well be shit but Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma will still be awesome designs.

I should be receiving my Darth Maul figuarts this week and have two Battle Droids pre-ordered for November so quality of the film is really not that big a deal. I'd buy a Jar Jar figuarts if Bandai made one. :p

I do wonder what it'll be like if TFA turns out to be shit lol. So much merchandise and branding is already getting pumped out.
I personally don't think TFA will turn out to be shit. Abrams has a pretty solid track record, and his Star Trek movies are pretty much Star Wars anyways. My prediction is that it'll be a pretty safe venture that will tap into nostalgia pretty hard, not really rock the boat in any way, and deliver a solid entertaining adventure that is designed to appeal to the widest audience possible. I don't think there's any way it can fail or be godawful, but I'm personally not very excited about it, but I'm also getting pretty bored of MCU films so perhaps this kind of stuff just isn't for me anymore.

Fjordson

I just want that Stormtrooper. One of the few things in Star Wars (outside of Empire as a film) that I've always liked for some reason.

I should be receiving my Darth Maul figuarts this week and have two Battle Droids pre-ordered for November so quality of the film is really not that big a deal. I'd buy a Jar Jar figuarts if Bandai made one. :p
Well that says it all doesn't it? Haha, as long as you're happy man, and the Figuarts look like quality figures.

I've picked up my fair share of figures based entirely on designs with no attachment to the source material before, but usually only a few things. I'm probably a bit of a hypocrite though since I'm a Hot Toys Iron Man collector, but I don't really like Iron Man 2 or either of the The Avengers movie.

Snaku

Banned
Do Figuarts for Marvel & Star Wars ever come back in stock or are they more the miss-it-and-it's-gone-forever type thing?

I'm not aware of the Marvel figuarts ever having been reissued, but every Star Wars figuarts that has come out has been announced for reissue except for the Stormtrooper.

Hagi

Do Figuarts for Marvel & Star Wars ever come back in stock or are they more the miss-it-and-it's-gone-forever type thing?

They restock eventually. Darth Vader for example is getting re-released in December. I really want to get Age of Ulron Cap at some point so hopefully that gets put up soon.

I'm not aware of the Marvel figuarts ever having been reissued, but every Star Wars figuarts that has come out has been announced for reissue except for the Stormtrooper.
They restock eventually. Darth Vader for example is getting re-released in December. I really want to get Age of Ulron Cap at some point so hopefully that gets put up soon.
Cool, thanks. I'm thinking about picking up Phasma, but I want to wait it out.

Snaku

Banned
Cool, thanks. I'm thinking about picking up Phasma, but I want to wait it out.

They should have enough extra stock to last a day or two post release. Maul was in stock at a number of online retailers for the last few days, and Luke was widely available a day or two post release. If you don't get a preorder in I'd say you still have a shot when she's released next year.

Top Bottom