• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision/Bungie game revealed by court (4 MMO sci-fantasy FPSs, more) [OP Updated]

Petrichor

Interesting

245103097.jpg

Is this real?

:/ Not sure what I think.

I'm not convinced it's real actually, that's the old bungie logo, for one.

kylej

Banned
People still think Bungie sought independence for creative reasons?

Money baby. Money.

bungie cares about its community they love us you are wrong they sold me a chinese cup with the bungie logo on it once why do you hate halo why do you hate bungie

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Pretty sure that's fake. According to my TinEye search, it's by Dan LuVisi, who has nothing to do with Bungie as far as I know.

A shame really because if Bungies new game was fighting the inevitable future menace that is humanoid Shark commandos like this:
12_dan-luvisi.jpg

I'd be instantaneously beyond hyped for the final product. Fuck Space future fighty. Lets shooteroo in the depths of the fucking sea.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Pretty sure that's fake. According to my TinEye search, it's by Dan LuVisi, who has nothing to do with Bungie as far as I know.

When I first glanced at it I refused to believe it was real. Looked like a generic CoD/CS character with a Halo gun, and even though I don't care about Bungie or their games, they can do better character design than that.

A shame really because if Bungies new game was fighting the inevitable future menace that is humanoid Shark commandos like this:
12_dan-luvisi.jpg

I'd be instantaneously beyond hyped for the final product. Fuck Space future fighty. Lets shooteroo in the depths of the fucking sea.

R'lyeh as final level, Cthulhu as final boss. Hype get.

Finished reading through the whole Agreement. Oh boy. Bungie will surely get A LOT of $$$ if this Destiny hits big. I hope it does.

Funny thing, other than lots of "AAA Caliber" usage is the fact that ATVI had a clause in which they could terminate the whole Agreement if Halo:Reach was a flop. Cool. Weird, but cool and I understand why they did it.
I just don't know who the "Key members" are? Not to mention "Key-Key"? Probably Jason Jones, Harold Ryan, Joseph Staten, Marcus Lehto? Marty maybe?

kylej

Banned
This is a huge blow to Bungie

http://www.examiner.com/article/bungie-says-well-that-just-happened-after-destiny-info-leaks

Bungie loves to tease and now that the hat is out of the bag you can tell they are deflated by this leak. It is interesting to see that both Activision and Bungie still continue the partnership with Microsoft going forward. This is sure to help them next generation.

Good now they can spend less time worrying about fancy hype trailers and sending the press Destiny-themed cat helmets and more time making sure the framerate is stable.

Good now they can spend less time worrying about fancy hype trailers and sending the press Destiny-themed cat helmets and more time making sure the framerate is stable.

Lol, true. Don't be surprised to see their viral campaign team outside of Starbucks in downtown Seattle begging for change while they try and fight Activision in court for being laid-off.

stalker

Finished reading through the whole Agreement. Oh boy. Bungie will surely get A LOT of $$$ if this Destiny hits big. I hope it does.

Funny thing, other than lots of "AAA Caliber" usage is the fact that ATVI had a clause in which they could terminate the whole Agreement if Halo:Reach was a flop. Cool. Weird, but cool and I understand why they did it.
I just don't know who the "Key members" are? Not to mention "Key-Key"? Probably Jason Jones, Harold Ryan, Joseph Staten, Marcus Lehto? Marty maybe?

Yes, the "key-key" reference is one of the highlights of the contract. I understand the key and key-key are listed in the "Exhibit G", which unfortunately has not been leaked.

After reviewing some aspects of the contract, I find clauses 6.4 and 8.2c (on "Activision Completion Right") are also interesting. especially in how they treat the risks related to a PS3 version as an exception.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It's so silly watching people lambast a sci-fi shooter dev for continuing to do sci-fi games - it's obviously what they love doing, and they know they have a track record for it.

I feel bad for them that plans no one was supposed to know were outed like this, but this still hardly reveals anything about the game itself to even pass judgement.

-Massively multiplayer style, sci-fantasy action shooter series codenamed Destiny with expansion packs codenamed Comet.
-Four games releasing in 2013, 2015, 2017, and 2019.
-Four expansion packs releasing in 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020.
-The main games will be retail.
-There will be other DLC, subscriptions, microtransactions, and value added services.
-The game is targeting a rating of Teen/PEGI 16, but Bungie is not contractually held to hit this mark.

Small development cycle (CoD), online focus (CoD), DLC Packs (CoD), Monetized MP experience (CoD), i don´t want CoD in space, i´m tired of marines and aliens shooting at each other, it´s more of the same.

But that´s just me, i can see how most would find it exciting... afterall Halo and CoD sell countless millions.

An MMO with an online focus, expansion packs, DLC and a monetized MP experience - no f'ing way! Nobody came up with that before till CoD did it. Nobody.

Man, you really don't know how silly you look right now.

is there any way this WONT be announced at e3 in some form now?

Bungie sort of respects there fans when it comes to these things. There where really vocal when ODST debut was pulled.

Now that cat is out of the bag and its a 2013 game for 360 I dont see why we wont get at least a teaser + Name. Maybe after the traditional COD demo at the Microsoft show. "oh we have one more thing from our friends at Activision. And this will be available ONLY on xbox 360 when it launches in holiday 2013....."

Role 30 second vague teaser that starts with the Bungie logo and its just a shot of a planet and some voice over and it ends with a name + date.

Clott

Totally underwhelming to find out what one of your favorite developers is working on for the next decade. It would be fun to see a flop and have them change their plans.

They have to do something new and exciting, can't be some weird wow-cod-halo mix.

I hope they can still surprise us.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Bungie sort of respects there fans when it comes to these things. There where really vocal when ODST debut was pulled.

Now that cat is out of the bag and its a 2013 game for 360 I dont see why we wont get at least a teaser + Name. Maybe after the traditional COD demo at the Microsoft show. "oh we have one more thing from our friends at Activision. And this will be available ONLY on xbox 360 when it launches in holiday 2013....."

Role 30 second vague teaser that starts with the Bungie logo and its just a shot of a planet and some voice over and it ends with a name + date.

Microsoft's big surprise ruined two years in a row... who would have guessed.

KageMaru

Totally underwhelming to find out what one of your favorite developers is working on for the next decade. It would be fun to see a flop and have them change their plans.

They have to do something new and exciting, can't be some weird wow-cod-halo mix.

I hope they can still surprise us.

Why would anyone want a game to flop? You know nothing about this title and yet you already have your opinion formed.

This is a huge blow to Bungie

http://www.examiner.com/article/bungie-says-well-that-just-happened-after-destiny-info-leaks

Bungie loves to tease and now that the hat is out of the bag you can tell they are deflated by this leak. It is interesting to see that both Activision and Bungie still continue the partnership with Microsoft going forward. This is sure to help them next generation.

I think the guys that run Bungie forgot that they are not an exclusive developer for Microsoft game hardware anymore because the details of the Activision agreement included a 1 year exclusive for the 360 and the PS3 version would be after that time period expired. If true that is a huge middle finger directed at PS3 fans who want to play the new title. I have both systems but if that detail of their agreement with Activision is true then I may skip their title just on principle. Multiplatform does not mean timed exclusive for the release of your title. Rockstar did not do that with any of their games, Skyrim was a simultaneous release, so was Medal of Honor, Rage and many other non exclusive titles. I hope people don't forget about their new game or skip it if they have to wait an extra year to play it on the PS3. With all the competition for our dollars out there this would be one of the stupidest things they could do.

KageMaru

I think the guys that run Bungie forgot that they are not an exclusive developer for Microsoft game hardware anymore because the details of the Activision agreement included a 1 year exclusive for the 360 and the PS3 version would be after that time period expired. If true that is a huge middle finger directed at PS3 fans who want to play the new title. I have both systems but if that detail of their agreement with Activision is true then I may skip their title just on principle. Multiplatform does not mean timed exclusive for the release of your title. Rockstar did not do that with any of their games, Skyrim was a simultaneous release, so was Medal of Honor, Rage and many other non exclusive titles. I hope people don't forget about their new game or skip it if they have to wait an extra year to play it on the PS3. With all the competition for our dollars out there this would be one of the stupidest things they could do.

Is it specified as a year exclusivity? I thought that was up in the air really.

Honestly though, this talk of skipping an entire franchise because of this is silly IMO. Everyone loves to assume it was due to moneyhatting or some other conspiracy theory when that's likely far from the truth. Activision is not one to throw away money and all logical signs indicate this is more of a production issue with their tight schedule.

ultron87

I imagine they just went Xbox only at first since that is what they are more comfortable developing on. Or Microsoft gave Activision and them some money.

szaromir

Banned
I wonder if you could call yourself a Bungie fan without having played their three latest games.

Kem0sabe

It's so silly watching people lambast a sci-fi shooter dev for continuing to do sci-fi games - it's obviously what they love doing, and they know they have a track record for it.

I feel bad for them that plans no one was supposed to know were outed like this, but this still hardly reveals anything about the game itself to even pass judgement.

An MMO with an online focus, expansion packs, DLC and a monetized MP experience - no f'ing way! Nobody came up with that before till CoD did it. Nobody.

Man, you really don't know how silly you look right now.

I doubt it´s an MMO... it´s an MMO style shooter, i doubt that if it was a persistent world MMO they would launch 4 versions of it from 2013 to 2019 plus expansions.

Just speculating here, but this reminds me of what Activision seems to be striving towards with each CoD release and it´s Elite service.

Oh... and i do know how silly i look at the moment, after all i´m typing away on an internet message board while wearing a neon sign vest and a hard hat. :)

Patryn

Shocked by all the people shocked at the idea of bonuses being tied to review scores.

Did people miss that one of the reasons Obsidian is currently fucked as a studio is because New Vegas got an 84.... and they needed to get an 85 on Metacritic to get either a massive bonus or royalties?

Blizzard

Banned
Why do people have a problem with Metacritic/GR bonuses? It's probably the fairest way for Bungie to be measured. How else should they do it? Arbitrator? Let Kotick decide?

It's results based compensation. I know yall hate metacritic and the critics aggregated on the site are all shit (notably the blogs and IGN), but it's the fairest way I can think of.
In general it seems like a valid point, but I think it just feels a bit skeezy, especially since it feels like "Well, the company that can bribe the most reviewers with expensive gifts and exclusive early reviews for page hits gets the highest reviews". Maybe it doesn't work that way though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Should the title be updated here? From what I can tell this isn't your WoW style MMO as most people are envisioning. It mentions peer to peer MMO with a persistent world. This sounds more like the world stays consistent after "games" or "matches" but it's not 200 people in one area, or anything WoW-like.

AHA-Lambda

In general it seems like a valid point, but I think it just feels a bit skeezy, especially since it feels like "Well, the company that can bribe the most reviewers with expensive gifts and exclusive early reviews for page hits gets the highest reviews". Maybe it doesn't work that way though.

Is it not usually the publisher who would do the "bribing" though?

Feature

Banned
How is this a blow to bungie? Oh no, people know about the game were making... oh yes, the big reveal is gone, but that's not important in any way.

Kem0sabe

Should the title be updated here? From what I can tell this isn't your WoW style MMO as most people are envisioning. It mentions peer to peer MMO with a persistent world. This sounds more like the world stays consistent after "games" or "matches" but it's not 200 people in one area, or anything WoW-like.

I would speculate that it´s more akin to what CCP is doing with Dust but without the EvE online metagame or a much more scaled down Planetside 2.

I dunno if Bungie would be willing to balance their traditional online experience to accommodate 1000´s of players on the same map as Planetside does.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

mclem

How is this a blow to bungie? Oh no, people know about the game were making... oh yes, the big reveal is gone, but that's not important in any way.

Controlling a promotional message to maximise impact is *very* important. Surprise is powerful.

monome

Dunno doesn't seem that there will be main protagonist, it being an MMO and all.

A playable universal main character that launches the story?
And you get to play him under special circonstances as you discover the secrets of the new universe?

Anyway, I hope Bungie is cool enough to introduce elements of a strong SP campaign in its MMO vision.

EDIT : Bungie knew those documents would be revealed (not when they signed them...) so they've had a few days at least to talk about damage control.

Hey You

I don't know if it's been answered in this thread, but how can the court release documents not really related to the CoD lawsuit?

Did we get all of their studios contracts and game launch details?

Patryn

I don't know if it's been answered in this thread, but how can the court release documents not really related to the CoD lawsuit?

Did we get all of their studios contracts and game launch details?

I guess West and Zamepella are alleging that this deal factored into how Activision treated them or something, so it's relevant.

Hey You

I'm sure the year exclusively had something to do with Microsoft having first publishing refusal.

I guess West and Zamepella are alleging that this deal factored into how Activision treated them or something, so it's relevant.

Didn't that all go down in 2009? I can't remember, but this deal was finalized in April 2010.

Patryn

I'm sure the year exclusively had something to do with Microsoft having first publishing refusal.

Didn't that all go down in 2009? I can't remember, but this deal was finalized in April 2010.

But Activision would have already begun negotiating this deal, and would have known it was coming.

Glass Rebel

Marathon was Sci-FI
Halo was Sci-FI
Destiny is now Sci-FI

I don't see what the problem is, they're just following suit because it's the games they want to play.

We already know that they're following suit with the plot and antagonist characters. This is from cortana 5's thread on bungie.net relating to the new IP. I give her credit for this theory and image.

I just read this and I think it's an immense shame that they won't be able to merge all three universes. Long stretch but they might eventually create a new IP that "replaces" Halo.

monome

I just read this and I think it's an immense shame that they won't be able to merge all three universes. Long stretch but they might eventually create a new IP that "replaces" Halo.

The ID behind he new Ip is to strive towards their goal of World Domination.

OVer time people change their minds about fashion, architecture, feelings, gameplay etc...
New IP should give Bungie had chance to fully express their vision of the future when Halo is eventually stucked in situations where people bitch about grunts not wearing full gas-masks...

KageMaru

My issue with this or the flat out money hat theory is that I don't think MS would bother funding this game if they weren't going to publish this to begin with. They already had first rights refusal, so if they were to pony up the money for development, they might as well have agreed to Bungie's terms and kept the IP exclusive for however long the contract held up.

- Timed Exclusive for 360
- Has to sell 5 million (in 6 months) or contract is terminated

Those two requirements kind of work against each other...

For reference Halo Reach sold 5 million in its entire lifetime.
However MW3 sold 6 million in its first day...

Spawnling

This is what I'm expecting this year, along with many other gamers. Everyone knows the gritty stuff. We not only know that destiny will be launched in 2013, now we knew there will be DLC to fill in the gap every other year with each Destiny game respectively.

We basically stumbled upon Santa's Christmas presents for the next 10 years with Bungie.

- Timed Exclusive for 360
- Has to sell 5 million (in 6 months) or contract is terminated

Those two requirements kind of work against each other...

For reference Halo Reach sold 5 million in its entire lifetime.
However MW3 sold 6 million in its first day...

Halo 3, Halo: Reach, Gears of War(not for sure on this one), Gears of War 2, and Gears of War 3 have all sold that much. Not like it's impossible.

Halo 3, Halo: Reach, Gears of War(not for sure on this one), Gears of War 2, and Gears of War 3 have all sold that much. Not like it's impossible.

In six months, being a new IP?

It's a risky endeavor. 5 million is a very good selling game, one of the best ever for the 360. That's a lot of confidence in a new IP, released on only one platform.

I'd hate to see talent be wasted and an IP thrown out because the game didn't meet unrealistic expectations.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

It's a risky endeavor. 5 million is a very good selling game, one of the best ever for the 360. That's a lot of confidence in a new IP, released on only one platform.

I'd hate to see talent be wasted and an IP thrown out because the game didn't meet unrealistic expectations.

i think terminology like that allows activision the choice to drop the game. if its a huge bomb, or even a marginal success, they arent necessarily locked into the full contract. its not like if it sells 4.9 mill instead of 5 the contract is automatically broken and all relationships severed.

Kem0sabe

It´s Bungie... the self propagating hype machine that is the internet will make sure it sells 5 million copies or more.

Top Bottom