• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision directly responsible for $10 XBL price hike?

Dyno

jedimike said:
What a bunch of drama queens...

If MS was paying portions of the yearly fee to publishers, it would be to all publishers based on the percentage of XBL use. Meaning, that of the $10 increase, Activation would get $5 per person per year if Activation games accounted for 50% of all traffic.

Your $10 would be allocated according to your online use. Spend 80% of your time watching ESPN, then ESPN gets 8 of your $10.

Of course, assuming this is all true. Honestly, if I was MS I would have never cut a deal like this. Activation gets its money because of the 360's existence. Without xbox, they sell millions less product.

You've set up a straw man. The deal in question is between Activision and Microsoft. No one has said that this model is applying to all content providers, just one.

Haunted

I can't believe Microsoft would cut any publisher in on the XBL revenue directly like that.

Activision does enjoy a "very modest amount of the subscription fees," Kotick told us
I mean, what.

SpacLock said:
What about people like me who don't play Call of Duty...
Thanks for the money, sucker!

/Bobby

_Bro

Banned
The reactions in this thread are just as hilarious as the possibility of Activision getting a payout from the price-hike.

I'm sure the price increase was in talks way longer than KOTICK, THAT GOD DAMN BUSINESS MAN was in talks about subscription service for Call of Duty.

You think MS wants to shell out money to Activision after paying ESPN how much for usage rights or the equipment and manpower to run that service along with all the other services they provide? Get fucking real.

Yeah, there might be the possibility of SOMEBODY getting paid SOMETHING for increasing revenue for THAT PLACE. That's totally a possibility.

But if you want to throw your hands in the air about this then why don't you step outside? This type of fucking shit is happening all of over the world in markets much more meaningful and important than videogames.

And you know what, at least there is actually a company out there legitimizing the industry (through corporate greed and customer dissatisfactory,amirite) instead of wallowing in the niche markets of trenchcoat kids and the socially inept.

Thank god, with that out of the way we've finally saved ourselves from having Game Informer be our GQ. "Reiner suggest this hot orange t-shirt with Link twirling his sword on grass. Buy a pair of cargo pants you can really tie this piece together with that nice studded belt and a pair of hot pink camo flip flops ($2 at Walmart). BUY BAWLS."

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
OldJadedGamer said:
That's because some people on this board have lots of friends in real life that don't play online with Sony systems. Not everyone is a lone gamer.
My friends come around to my house to play football and drunk Street Fighter on my PS3. Only online gaming I ever do is on the PC.

DryvBy

Dan Yo said:
Live is the most popular online gaming service because it offers convenient features the others don't. Not just because it allows you to play online.
I'm only referring the playing games online. That other crap that is unrelated to gaming I could do without.

Also, Steam and Xfire proves that voice chat isn't worthy of a price chat. (Stupid Sony, MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!)

SYNTAX182

This is crazy but I know Live customers aren't gonna care. They were already charging them $50.00 for online that probably costs Microsoft almost nothing. You know it's true.

_Bro

Banned
DryvBy2 said:
I'm only referring the playing games online. That other crap that is unrelated to gaming I could do without.

Also, Steam and Xfire proves that voice chat isn't worthy of a price chat. (Stupid Sony, MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!)
That's what I said until I tried Netflix.

and downloaded some demos.

and game trailers.

and got Fable 2 for free.

and played Shadow Complex.

Geometry Wars.

Marathon 2.

Miner Dig Deep.

jedimike

Dyno said:
You've set up a straw man. The deal in question is between Activision and Microsoft. No one has said that this model is applying to all content providers, just one.
The entire thread is a strawman. Nobody knows what is really in place. We do know that the xbox is a platform and they have to follow rules like antitrust laws. If they put a pricing model in place for one publisher, they would have to apply it to all publishers.

The same thing happened when EA wanted to use their own servers for sports games. MS accommodated the request and then had to offer the same deal to all publishers.

It's foolish to believe that Activation gets a piece of the pie but none else does. How would MS address the rest of their publishers? They would have no recourse but to give them all the same deal. Instead, it makes more sense to believe MS put a model in place that ensures equity for the publishers.

Tron 2.0

There's no way this is true.

Even worse, as with all conspiracy theories, there's nothing Microsoft nor Activision could say or do that would get people to realize this is all baseless conjecture. Any denial would just fan the flames.

_Bro said:

and game trailers.

Geometry Wars.

Marathon 2.

Miner Dig Deep.

Besides Netflix you can do all of that with Silver.

ElFly

I do not understand why some people are angry at Activision.

If MS is charging for online multiplayer, it's absolutely, completely fair that (part) of that money goes to the publisher, hopefully to the developer.

People should be enraged that MS is charging for online multiplayer in the first fucking place, but I am afraid that ship already sailed.

WoW players and Xbox Live suscribers have ruined it for us all.

DryvBy

_Bro said:

and game trailers.

Geometry Wars.

Marathon 2.

Miner Dig Deep.

But.... but....Netflix is on all systems!! (That's the only other thing I use).

I don't hardly ever play demos....

Game Trailers are... online...

And those other games... what does buying a game have to do with paying to play online?

I mean, dude, silver gets you game trailers, demos (maybe not early but..), and I dunno how Netflix works on Xbox but that's free on PS3. I'm strictly talking about paying to play.

Just my opinon either way. :?

_Bro said:
You think MS wants to shell out money to Activision after paying ESPN how much for usage rights or the equipment and manpower to run that service along with all the other services they provide? Get fucking real.

Netflix and ESPN3 on XBL are pretty flimsy an excuse for the price hike by themselves.

If your ISP gives you ESPN3, then you have it and can watch it in any browser. XBL is just a portal. If the 360 had a web browser you could probably watch it anyway. Admittedly, it's a really nice, optimized portal, but that's all it is.

Netflix is the same thing. If you're paying for their streaming services, you can watch it in any browser (or any console, smartphone or newer TV). XBL's Netflix app is a really nice portal, but again, just putting a nice frame around something you're already paying for yourself.

ElFly

Tron 2.0 said:
There's no way this is true.

Even worse, as with all conspiracy theories, there's nothing Microsoft nor Activision could say or do that would get people to realize this is all baseless conjecture. Any denial would just fan the flames.

With luck it will have to be detailed on the financial statement at the end of acti's fiscal year.

ElFly said:
I do not understand why some people are angry at Activision.

If MS is charging for online multiplayer, it's absolutely, completely fair that (part) of that money goes to the publisher, hopefully to the developer.

People should be enraged that MS is charging for online multiplayer in the first fucking place, but I am afraid that ship already sailed.

WoW players and Xbox Live suscribers have ruined it for us all.

dont bring MMO monthly fees into this. its the best bang for the fucking buck you can get mate. 50 cents every day for WoW, gets you almost endless content.

everyone nogs it with their stupid preconceptions before they try them. try them for real, and you will see that its a real service that makes sense.

_Bro

Banned
DryvBy2 said:
But.... but....Netflix is on all systems!! (That's the only other thing I use).

I don't hardly ever play demos....

Game Trailers are... online...

And those other games... what does buying a game have to do with paying to play online?

I mean, dude, silver gets you game trailers, demos (maybe not early but..), and I dunno how Netflix works on Xbox but that's free on PS3. I'm strictly talking about paying to play.

Just my opinon either way. :?
Still have to pay for Netflix.

I'm just saying that running all of this stuff isn't free for microsoft.

And really, it's not that hard to get gold for free for a year or two at a time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
_Bro said:
But if you want to throw your hands in the air about this then why don't you step outside? This type of fucking shit is happening all of over the world in markets much more meaningful and important than videogames.

Yes.

And you know what, at least there is actually a company out there legitimizing the industry (through corporate greed and customer dissatisfactory,amirite) instead of wallowing in the niche markets of trenchcoat kids and the socially inept.

Thank god, with that out of the way we've finally saved ourselves from having Game Informer be our GQ. "Reiner suggest this hot orange t-shirt with Link twirling his sword on grass. Buy a pair of cargo pants you can really tie this piece together with that nice studded belt and a pair of hot pink camo flip flops ($2 at Walmart). BUY BAWLS."

Okay, now you're being stupid and ranting about "LOL US GAMERS. US GAMERS." For being outraged their possible $10 price-hike XBL service is going to a publisher most don't give a damn about.

That said, half of GAF is misreading the article about the "we get a cut of subscription fees" or whatever the OP posted. I'll have to re-find it and copy-paste it but the OP bolded it and took it out of context to where GAF's knee-jerk reactionaries created a 400 reply thread.

Christ.

Edit:
TFA said:
"Because of our Blizzard experience we have an incredible understanding of how important the provision of appropriate customer service is," Kotick said, citing 2,500 World of Warcraft customer service employees for the US and Europe alone. "What we'd like to ideally see is that the investment in the subscription fees going towards the provision of a higher level of customer service [...] to see some portion of the subscription fees go towards game enhancement." Activision does enjoy a "very modest amount of the subscription fees," Kotick told us, but he's more interested in seeing any cost increase in the service go towards "directly benefitting the Call of Duty players."

World of Warcraft = Activision-BLIZZARD, of which Kotick owns Blizzard. He's talking about ATVI-Blizz subscriptions going toward improving Blizzard's MMO/WoW services. He is interested in putting some of that money toward benefiting CoD players either in services or making an MMO or...

Knee-jerking, ahoy-hoy!

Dunlop

How many multiconsole owners here,who are LIVE gold members buy their MP games for the 360 because their friends are on it, the crossgame chat, party system, or whatever?

If LIVE did not have benefits versus the competition it would have folded by now. The fact is there is a large demand for it and Nintendo and Sony would trip over themselves to get a piece of that pie

ElFly

Vigilant Walrus said:
dont bring MMO monthly fees into this. its the best bang for the fucking buck you can get mate. 50 cents every day for WoW, gets you almost endless content.

It may be true for some people, but it is undeniable that has given activision blizzard the hunger to apply that model to other of their products.

LJ11

Duane Cunningham said:
If your ISP gives you ESPN3, then you have it and can watch it in any browser. XBL is just a portal. If the 360 had a web browser you could probably watch it anyway. Admittedly, it's a really nice, optimized portal, but that's all it is.

This probably isn't the thread to ask, but can you do PIP/multiple games on the 360 app? Couldn't find/do it when I messed around with the app. Still use my browser to stream CFB.

Tron 2.0

TheSeks said:
That said, half of GAF is misreading the article about the "we get a cut of subscription fees" or whatever the OP posted. I'll have to re-find it and copy-paste it but the OP bolded it and took it out of context to where GAF's knee-jerk reactionaries created a 400 reply thread.

Christ.

Edit:

World of Warcraft = Activision-BLIZZARD, of which Kotick owns Blizzard. He's talking about ATVI-Blizz subscriptions going toward improving Blizzard's MMO/WoW services. He is interested in putting some of that money toward benefiting CoD players either in services or making an MMO or...

Knee-jerking, ahoy-hoy!
Jesus Christ.

This thread = garbage.

The amount of people willing to just buy right into this pure speculation is frankly a bit scary...and we wonder why Kotaku is so popular.

shaowebb

That...that is entirely likely. Jesus, Nuclear Muffin, that was some smooth detective work. Way to read between the lines.

This sounds like classic Bobby Kotick, too. Proudly stating how great he is for never charging anyone for something while he merrily jacks up the prices for everyone across the board in another manner just so he can make sucha statement.

Glad to see some others don't give a flying fuck. Don't get me wrong this is a discussion board and games and the game industry is something we are all passionate about.
I just went through THE most difficult year financially in my life. Putting a kid through college, a wife on 100% commision in the worst year to be in her industry. My $40-$60 going to Microsoft or whomever in the long run was NEVER an issue.:lol
I use the thing all the time. Those tough times are over but if it wasn't for Live I wouldn't have had some good times with my friends over that year or 7 years for that matter. I didn't have money for concerts, night out for drinks, sporting events. I saw my real life friends over Live and I thank MS for it. Would I rather it be free? HELL YEAH!!!:D

DryvBy

_Bro said:
Still have to pay for Netflix.

I'm just saying that running all of this stuff isn't free for microsoft.

And really, it's not that hard to get gold for free for a year or two at a time.

Wait... so Netflix charges Microsoft to have their service on the Xbox 360? Wow, Nintendo and Sony must be smart since I can still get these services on there for only my Netflix price.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. I'm just saying to play online... shouldn't pay for it.

Mooreberg

Seems like a spurious conclusion in the OP. Microsoft would have eventually raised the price with or without pressure from a third party based on their own research and idea of how many people they would retain versus those who would not resubscribe. I'm all set through next September on a $40 card and then I'm probably done. COD and Halo have run their course, and there isn't much else I use the service for. I already use Netflix on PS3 since the system is much quieter and the rest of the "extras" they have been rolling out don't work as well as a desktop equivalent.

ElFly said:
skid.gif
Is that from Skitchin'? Second guess is one of the Road Rashes.

Polk

DryvBy2 said:
Wait... so Netflix charges Microsoft to have their service on the Xbox 360? Wow, Nintendo and Sony must be smart since I can still get these services on there for only my Netflix price.
I think he's trying to say MS payed Netflix for 1 year disc-less exclusivity.

Ravidrath

Do you know what this reminds me of?

When MS agreed to pay Universal a few dollars for every Zune, because of the "chance that they had pirated material on it."

Of course that resulted in very little money for Universal, but what that really was was a strike against Apple to try and make them have to pay similar fees, too.

So I suspect that this is really just a way to strike against Sony. ATVI will then start pressuring Sony to pay them for CoD multiplayer, threatening to withhold the series if they don't, even though Sony doesn't charge for MP play.

The (completely bullshit) argument will be something along the lines of "why should we spend the time developing and testing MP on Sony systems when we get no financial benefit from it, like we do with MS?"

However, I could see this turning into a much bigger headache for MS. I think before long you'll see ALL publishers wanting to be paid royalties for online matches, perhaps being paid X micropennies per hour of server time used. And this, of course, will result in increased XBL fees again.

If this is true, then this is my take:

- I defend Live a LOT, because I believe compared to the (console) competition, it's worth paying for. But subsidising a game as average of Black Ops? Fuck that.

- Do PS3 owners worry this will lead to worse and worse ports of CoD for their console? Because Activision will try and sway players to buy the 360 version/a 360 to ave the good version of CoD and pay for online?

Seriously, if this was Bungie doing this thanks to Halo, I'd probably have not much issue with it (but still a bit), because I really love Halo. But not for a product as unpolished as CoD.

Luckily I never pay anywhere near full price for my Live subs.

_Bro

Banned
DryvBy2 said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. I'm just saying to play online... shouldn't pay for it.
Then don't. There are tons of people out there, right now, paying for dedicated servers for you to play on at no cost. Sony has a free multiplayer service that you too can use, for free.

_Bro said:
Then don't. There are tons of people out there, right now, paying for dedicated servers for you to play on at no cost. Sony has a free multiplayer service that you too can use, for free.
It really comes down to this. Don't want to pay for multiplayer gaming? Then don't.

We have alternatives.

Branduil

OldJadedGamer said:
That's because some people on this board have lots of friends in real life that don't play online with Sony systems. Not everyone is a lone gamer.
Free online if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't Steam
And if they don't Steam
Well they're no friends of mine

jedimike said:
What a bunch of drama queens...

If MS was paying portions of the yearly fee to publishers, it would be to all publishers based on the percentage of XBL use. Meaning, that of the $10 increase, Activation would get $5 per person per year if Activation games accounted for 50% of all traffic.

Why do people keep saying it would automatically be some fair deal to all third parties? CoD's a big deal, who's to say Activision didn't strong-arm them on this?

I doubt Activision would pull their titles from the 360 if they didn't get their way, but with their attitude as of late (tinfoil hat time), I personally wouldn't be completely surprised if they had been at least thinking about a foray into the console space themselves. I doubt it was that direct a threat, but that would be a huge loss for MS if even part of the CoD traffic was pulled away. And if there was a third party right now that could attempt it, it'd be Activision. A box with the best versions of CoD with exclusive features, WoW content, those are already two pretty strong legs to stand on.

Or maybe they just threatened to cast their lot heavily into the Sony side, it could be as simple as that. Either way, the big boys get special deals, often in private, as unfortunate as it is, it doesn't really have to be fair for everybody. It rarely is.

Kulock said:
I personally wouldn't be completely surprised if they had been at least thinking about a foray into the console space themselves. I doubt it was that direct a threat, but that would be a huge loss for MS if even part of the CoD traffic was pulled away. And if there was a third party right now that could attempt it, it'd be Activision. A box with the best versions of CoD with exclusive features, WoW content, those are already two pretty strong legs to stand on.

If you think that any large third party publisher has any interest whatsoever in creating a console, then you have no understanding whatsoever of the publishing business.

If this is true, what's the potential for MS to be providing other publishers with a cut of the newly implemented $10 increase.

TBQH it actually seems like a very smart move on the part by MS to do this.

Shambles

lulBOX strikes again. Still, it's not like people are smart enough to change even with information like this. Good on them for raping the half-wit customer right?

Dan Yo

Banned
DryvBy2 said:
Maybe you could do without. Obviously that's not the case for many.

Top Bottom