• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adele - 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
Minnesota Public Radio has been playing the shit out of this song for a couple months on The Current. Fantastic radio station, btw, and they stream it. Ever since i discovered it, its the only stream I listen to now.

Enron said:
Minnesota Public Radio has been playing the shit out of this song for a couple months on The Current. Fantastic radio station, btw, and they stream it. Ever since i discovered it, its the only stream I listen to now.

Which song?

bengraven

Ultimatum said:
she's got a really good voice, but she'd be better if she wasn't so fat

I'm actually proud of GAF over this.

I expected this response a lot sooner than the 16th post.

Enron said:
Rolling in the Deep, the single.

Ah ok, didn't know which was released in the US.

It is a fantastic song. Like I said earlier: less ballads and more fun stuff like Rolling in the deep would make me an enormous fan.

mr stroke

Second said:

she will probably tour later this year. She was awesome live in SF couple years ago. I would suggest going out of your way to see her live. One of those artists who sounds as good if not better live

parasight

Stronger than 19. Very strong array of songs. I felt a lot of the songs on 19 sounded similar, which isn't as much a problem here. Someone Like You, Rolling in the Deep, Set Fire to the Rain and Turning Tables would be my standouts.

The Bookerman said:
She could do a good theme song for a James Bond movie. That's for sure.
I'm still pissed that they didn't pick Duffy for QoS. Instead we got that horrible song from White and Keys. Heck, even Rain On Your Parade would've been much better than the shitty AWTD.

So yeah, +1 for Adele's song as the next 007 intro.

As for the album, I liked Rolling in the deep, so I'll definitely check out the rest.

joelseph

The story goes that she once was on a plane with Chewy Chocolate Cookies and she gave them Hometown Glory to remix and they finished it on the flight.

That and Jamie's remix of Rolling In the Deep is a modern day classic, boy can do no wrong.

My copy of the 21 vinyl shipped from Amazon earlier today. I stay away from early leaks/previews as a general rule, so I'm looking forward to it. Really like Someone Like You, and of course Rolling in the Deep which served as my introduction to Adele thanks to Austin Public Radio. Overall, Hometown Glory is my favorite track, but that is with only two of the tracks from 21 heard thus far.

Juice

Thanks for the thread. Adele is pretty freaking talented. I listen to Chasing Pavements probably once a week. Feel like I first heard of her from one of those free Starbucks iTunes cards.

mr stroke

giving this a first listen today and its fantastic so far. Stand out tracks IMO-

-Rumour Has It

-Set Fire To The Rain

-Someone Like You

-Take It All

FYI- anyone wanting to see her live, she is touring the US this summer and is even better live acoustic. I tried to buy tickets in SF and they sold out with in 2 mins, I had to buy some from scalpers :(

DominoKid

daaaaamn she made another song as good as Melt My Heart To Stone

Set Fire to the Rain is absolutely gorgeous. There arent too many songs that can stop me dead in my tracks but that did it.

honorable mention to Someone Like You

Koodo

Banned
Gaf is quick to bash the super popular, yet artists like Adele (see also: Janelle Monáe) have threads that are limping towards the three page mark.

Hypocrisy.

I just started listening to some of the tracks on Youtube. The first one, Rolling In The Deep, was some divine shit. Will listen to the rest before making final judgment and a purchase, but I've listened enough to say: damn, girl has a killer voice.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I thought it was just ok after the first listen, but it's growing on me. I still prefer 19 to 21, as I think the former is more mature and refined.

Edit: I second tha love for hometown glory.

Listened to it several times overall. I think I really like the first two singles I heard and loved immediately- Rolling in the Deep and Someone Like You. I like some others as well, but I'm bad with names and need to give it a couple days until I find myself picking out certain tracks to realize what my favorites are.
Overall, though, I think as an album it is definitely a stronger effort than 19, where I agree with others that there is something "samey" about many of the tracks.

Oh, as an aside- I don't really like this rendition of "Love Song." It seems like a different type of arrangement from most versions, but I'm not really feeling it. Will give it a few more listens as I listen to the rest of the album and see if I experience a change of heart on it. I also found I didn't love her cover on 19, either.

Koodo said:
Gaf is quick to bash the super popular, yet artists like Adele (see also: Janelle Monáe) have threads that are limping towards the three page mark.

Hypocrisy.

I just started listening to some of the tracks on Youtube. The first one, Rolling In The Deep, was some divine shit. Will listen to the rest before making final judgment and a purchase, but I've listened enough to say: damn, girl has a killer voice.

Are you suggesting we should be hating on Adele and Monae? You ever think that we just have good taste and your perception that gaf hates all things popular is just cause there's so much popular shit nowadays? :p

DominoKid

Koodo said:

Hypocrisy.

pretty sure Adele's also popular...

"Take It All", "Someone Like You" (if you haven't heard her BRIT Awards performance of this, go listen now), and "Turning Tables" are so good. They've been on constant repeat.

For those who like their Childish Gambino and Adele together, have you tried "Do Ya Like"?

Just bought it off iTunes. I've only ever heard one song of hers (Chasing Pavements) so I don't really have any expectations.

I've listened to the first two so far. Holy shit, what a voice. Rolling In The Deep is so layered and powerful, and Rumour Has It is a satisfying track as well. On to Turning Tables...

EDIT: 'Don't You Remember' just kicked my ass. Why haven't I given this chick a chance before??

Blackface

Banned
She is probably the best live performer of the last 20 years. She sounds as good, ands in some cases better live then in-studio. Her AOL performance is almost indistinguishable from the studio version.

She is retarded good.

Blackface said:
She is probably the best live performer of the last 20 years. She sounds as good, ands in some cases better live then in-studio. Her AOL performance is almost indistinguishable from the studio version.

She is retarded good.

This is so true. I keep telling friends...hell anyone that will listen. Girl is the best singer we have.

mYm|17|

krypt0nian said:
This is so true. I keep telling friends...hell anyone that will listen. Girl is the best singer we have.
it doesn't even look as if she's trying and her voice is still powerful, amazing stuff

She has by far the best control over her falsetto that I've ever seen.

'Set Fire to the Rain' made my jaw drop. Especially toward the end where her voice kept going higher.. and higher...

Lawd.

SRG01

The best thing about Adele is that she never oversings, and her normal range is well beyond mainstream artists.

The only artist in recent memory that even comes close is Jewel.

I feel like Kelly Clarkson could be in her league if she wasn't forced by her record label to do horrible Since U Been Gone retreads...

my stan card is showing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom