• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adult Swim Talent Want The Network To Cancel Its Alt-Right Comedy Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/adult-swim-talent-trying-to-cancel-million-dollar-extreme?utm_term=.sim9MDzWwv#.slyME1ZbPn
Until this week, when President-elect Donald Trump named one of the alt-right’s new nabobs his chief strategist, perhaps the highest purchase gained by the ascendant movement was a six-episode, 15-minute sketch comedy show on Adult Swim called Million Dollar Extreme Presents: World Peace.

Now, as America processes the news that Trump, the alt-right’s hero and avatar, will become the most powerful person in the world, a group of Adult Swim talent — actors, directors, writers, and producers — is desperately trying to convince the network’s powerful boss, Mike Lazzo, not to renew the show for a second season.

BuzzFeed News spoke with three sources who have regularly worked with Adult Swim, the late-night cable network owned by Time Warner that’s famous for its zany, cult-favorite comedies. All three sources spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of harassment by the online community surrounding Million Dollar Extreme, the sketch comedy group behind World Peace, and by members of the group itself.

Indeed, the relationship between MDE and its community is a major reason for the cancellation campaign. Sam Hyde, MDE’s most prominent member, is something of an icon on the alt-right websites where the show’s fans congregate. (He moderates a subreddit devoted to the group.) In these forums, thousands of fans gather to decode World Peace’s complex, if winking, symbology, which many devotees are convinced expresses an anti-progressive, pro-white ideology. It is because of this alleged dog-whistling — as well as what they claim are harassment campaigns from Hyde and his followers online — that the three sources say they and others want Lazzo to cancel the show.

According to one source with knowledge of the network’s operations, it’s likely that Lazzo is already aware of the show’s solicitations of the alt-right. The same source said that the Adult Swim standards department repeatedly found coded racist messages in the show, including swastikas, which were removed ahead of broadcast. None of this was enough, according to one of the sources, to convince Lazzo not to air the show.

“Lazzo makes every decision there. A lot of people at Adult Swim have been on him, trying to get it not renewed,” said the source. “I know at least one person who is very high up there who was furious about it before it came out.”

Now a few of them are going public.

On Monday, the actor and comedian Brett Gelman — who has appeared on several Adult Swim programs including Brett Gelman’s Dinner in America — announced over Twitter that he was severing ties with Adult Swim over World Peace and Lazzo’s defense on Reddit of the network’s lack of shows with female creators.

And in a since deleted tweet, actor Zandy Hartig of the network’s long-running Children’s Hospital implored Adult Swim to “please get rid of MDE and Sam Hyde. He’s an embarrassment for you and for me as someone who was very grateful to you.”

Hartig and Gelman have now joined Tim Heidecker, who rose to fame on the Adult Swim show Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! as objects of scorn on the MDE internet. Heidecker, who has publicly ridiculed the alt-right, posted on Facebook yesterday that “I love and respect my friend Brett Gelman and I support his decision fully.”

Ultimately, whether the show comes back for another season is up to Lazzo, who sources say enjoys causing a stir. “I don’t think he’s down with the alt-right,” said one source. “I think he’s a left-leaning guy. But when he sees someone pushing buttons — he’s very anti-establishment — his instinct is that he’s doing something right.”

CRA_InterrogatingTheText_2.jpg

Good.

How about not renewing it because it's really awful?

Meanwhile original programming like Metalocalypse and China IL are dead and buried but MDE is still up for consideration.

In case this gets lost in all that bolding:

the Adult Swim standards department repeatedly found coded racist messages in the show, including swastikas, which were removed ahead of broadcast

wtf

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I have a hunch that Dan Harmon is one of the anonymous talents against it.

Squire

Banned
I bet the one that's furious is Jason DeMarco. He's got rank at CN in general and I just can't see him being down with what MDE stands for in the slightest.

Like, I couldn't even understand why they started airing the show at all considering the kind of person DeMarco seems to be. Lazzo calling all the shits makes perfect sense.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Heidecker is exactly who I wanted on that list. That's a big adult swim name you don't want to piss off.

Man, what happend to MDE? I used to enjoy some of their videos quite a lot when they were on YouTube. They made same really bizarre and clever videos making fun of gamers, anime culture etc. It got kinda mean-spirited sometimes and it sometimes made me feel uncomfortable but it was weird and interesting.

Flash-forward to now and its just super mean, hate speech and awfulness. That dudes twitter is just terrible to read.

I still feel like its a bit or something but if you act like a racist asshole you basically turn into a racist asshole.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I bet the one that's furious is Jason DeMarco. He's got rank at CN in general and I just can't see him being down with what MDE stands for in the slightest.

Like, I couldn't even understand why they started airing the show at all considering the kind of person DeMarco seems to be. Lazzo calling all the shits makes perfect sense.

This wouldn't shock me in the slightest.

border

Can someone explain to me how the show itself is alt-right? I watched an episode or two and it just seemed like your typical absurdist Adult Swim fare.

Can someone explain to me how the show itself is alt-right? I watched an episode or two and it just seemed like your typical absurdist Adult Swim fare.

Read this breh;

Sam Hyde, MDE’s most prominent member, is something of an icon on the alt-right websites where the show’s fans congregate. (He moderates a subreddit devoted to the group.) In these forums, thousands of fans gather to decode World Peace’s complex, if winking, symbology, which many devotees are convinced expresses an anti-progressive, pro-white ideology. It is because of this alleged dog-whistling — as well as what they claim are harassment campaigns from Hyde and his followers online — that the three sources say they and others want Lazzo to cancel the show.

so not watching adult swim but watching rick and morty would be a half measure right? Like I'm down to stop watching AS but damn rick and morty. I feel shitty

sphagnum

Banned
Man, what happend to MDE? I used to enjoy some of their videos quite a lot when they were on YouTube. They made same really bizarre and clever videos making fun of gamers, anime culture etc. It got kinda mean-spirited sometimes and it sometimes made me feel uncomfortable but it was weird and interesting.

Flash-forward to now and its just super mean, hate speech and awfulness. That dudes twitter is just terrible to read.

I still feel like its a bit or something but if you act like a racist asshole you basically turn into a racist asshole.

Either Hyde is doing an insanely deep routine that's actually supposed to be criticizing the alt right, or he's just been looking into the abyss for so long that he's become one of them. Probably the latter.

I mean how much more obvious can it be. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jgNDA_Z2H0U

So the venture bros, one of their best performing shows, gets zero budget which results in years between seasons.

Bit this shit gets to live?

Fuck Mike Lazzo

Bronx-Man

Banned

When you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you.

Once I heard they were alt right I could kinda almost see it but the skits of the screamo band and kids talking about joining the military are gold, I wonder if they are using the success from their show to promote the alt right? I guess?

Maybe the jews rock skit but I thought they did that to film the higher ups at adult swim on their phones and not caring what garbage they made.

I also saw it as another absurdist show which I kinda like from the 2 eps I saw.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Adult Swim cancels other shows like nothing, so I don't know why they'd bother damaging their reputation and having talent walk over this one program. Advertisers aren't going to want to buy ad space around this show now that this has caught on. Cut your losses.

robotrock

Banned

Yeah no idea dude. I like 2070 Paradigm Shift and a silly vertical video as much as anyone else does, but this show was a complete misfire (as well as basically everything MDE has done in the last couple of years)

bsp

Either Hyde is doing an insanely deep routine that's actually supposed to be criticizing the alt right, or he's just been looking into the abyss for so long that he's become one of them. Probably the latter.

I mean how much more obvious can it be. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jgNDA_Z2H0U

I still refuse to believe Sam & Co. aren't pulling some stunt still. PUA sketch with the womanizer actually being gay and ends up threatening to kill women is the opposite of red-pilled culture. I think Sam is probably down for anything reactionary.

Love their comedy, just not their fanbase.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
World Peace is a furiously shitty show but a part of me thinks Sam Hyde is doing some extended I'm Still Here long con.

rac

Banned
I still refuse to believe Sam & Co. aren't pulling some stunt still. PUA sketch with the womanizer actually being gay and ends up threatening to kill women is the opposite of red-pilled culture. I think Sam is probably down for anything reactionary.

Love their comedy, just not their fanbase.

Pulling a stunt by putting hidden swastikas in their show? Why?

Yeah I feel like this is analogous to Christian Conservatives in the eighties looking for secret coded devil messages in metal records. Now it is left looking for secret coded messages for the alt-right in cartoons.

bsp

Pulling a stunt by putting hidden swastikas in their show? Why?

MDE is presented as layers of irony so thick you can't tell what they ever are actually criticizing or saying but recently Sam seems to be about controversy and, simply, "trolling." Being able to say you got swastikas in a broadcast TV series is part of that set.

The intros to each episode were almost entirely censored; I imagine there is more than swastikas.

border

Read this breh;

It's a show with a terrible Reddit community, who for some reason impart their warped worldview when they interpret the program. It's unclear to me how a bad Reddit following makes the actual show itself a mouthpiece for the alt-right.

Evidence of the show's actual politics (if any) seem kind of thin. This argument for cancellation seems rooted in "Sam Hyde is a terrible alt-righter and so are the people that watch the show."

Read this breh;

so not watching adult swim but watching rick and morty would be a half measure right? Like I'm down to stop watching AS but damn rick and morty. I feel shitty

Stop watching AS and buy the episodes. That's a good half-measure. You still support AS, but your lost viewership won't result in hurting R&M.

It's a show with a terrible Reddit community, who for some reason impart their warped worldview when they interpret the program. It's unclear to me how a bad Reddit following makes the actual show itself a mouthpiece for the alt-right.

Evidence of the show's actual politics (if any) seem kind of thin. This argument for cancellation seems rooted in "Sam Hyde is a terrible alt-righter and so are the people that watch the show."

"Terrible alt-righter" is like "orange orange"

jstripes

Banned
Heidecker is exactly who I wanted on that list. That's a big adult swim name you don't want to piss off.
Speaking of Tim, who's pretty visible, I haven't heard anything about Eric in a while.

Adult Swim cancels other shows like nothing, so I don't know why they'd bother damaging their reputation and having talent walk over this one program. Advertisers aren't going to want to buy ad space around this show now that this has caught on. Cut your losses.

I heard this show gets pretty good ratings for them. The alt-right audience latches onto shit like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom