• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adult Swim Talent Want The Network To Cancel Its Alt-Right Comedy Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0523

I wonder how many hidden swastikas AS is cool with finding and having to remove before just going ahead and canceling a show.

Considering Adult Swim never aired the Lupin the Third episode, "To Be or Nazi Be," I'm surprised even one swastika was okay with them.

Koomaster

This reference; top notch.

Also yeah after the first hidden swastika or coded racist message you'd think someone at Adult Swim would have been like; 'Yeah no, cut that out or get pulled.' then actually stop airing the show after the 2nd one was found.

The fact the show is up for renewal still is gross and makes me feel bad about watching Adult Swim at all.

NandoGip

The show is amusing to me the same way a burning car is amusing. It's very low effort and pretty shit in the grand scheme of funny shows.

The racism part is used to attract the small-brained alt-right nerds because it would never stand on it's own if it had to be genuinely funny.

With that said, how the hell is this a controversy? I understand being offensive to entertain, but white supremacy is too far. This should be a no-brainer to cancel, let alone green light in the first place.

Sliver

The show isn't even that political. Sam turned into a shitty dude with shitty ideals, but this is crazy overblown I think.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Doesn't anime play well to the Alt Right? They must think One Punch Man was about a super powered skin head and his Aryan Cyborg buddy beating up minority stand is and illegal aliens.

ctfg23

I'm curious how much of the show's ratings can be attributed to having The Eric Andre Show as a lead-in vs. people actually wanting to watch it.

I've watched one or two episodes and the show is garbage. I'm fine with it getting cancelled, alt right ties or not.

Eusis

Doesn't anime play well to the Alt Right? They must think One Punch Man was about a super powered skin head and his Aryan Cyborg buddy beating up minority stand is and illegal aliens.
That does sound like an interpretation they could make. And I just saw Saitama as something of a Buddha figure.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Racist flier posted after Trump election:
OzaZLf6l.jpg

Note the bottom right. Maybe not racist, but clearly #1 with racists.

Mesoian

How about not renewing it because it's really awful?

Meanwhile original programming like Metalocalypse and China IL are dead and buried but MDE is still up for consideration.

Weird as it is, Lazzo likes keeping a lot of terrible shows for way too long.

But yeah. Good.

Turner man....that places has a lot of problems.

Let's get real, if Lazzo wanted to use anime as a statement, he would have gotten Terraformers licenced, not One Punch.

sam hyde has some pretty good comedic timing. at the end of the day as much as i laugh at 2070 paradigm shift and can appreciate the MDE consistency, a lot of their work nowadays is predicated on the assumption that you can somehow transform a right-wing "pepe" mindset into something funny and subversive.

unfortunately MDE has a little bit too much in common with the group of people they try to lampoon. just take a look at sam's twitter page and you can see that the MDE fanbase has really just evolved into a sort of "hilter youth for hipsters" aesthetic.

unclear whether the whole team was angling for the alt-right fanbase or if they just found their niche and ran with it, but as a jewish person who could still somehow see the comedy in MDE, 2016 has revealed them to be a little too comfortable cuddling up with bigots of every flavor.

Renew the show. I've been following MDE before their big TED talk stunt and LOVE WP. Some of it is hit and missed but god damn this is their best sketch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58eaYbkIHeg

sam hyde has some pretty good comedic timing. at the end of the day as much as i laugh at 2070 paradigm shift and can appreciate the MDE consistency, a lot of their work nowadays is predicated on the assumption that you can somehow transform a right-wing "pepe" mindset into something funny and subversive.

unfortunately MDE has a little bit too much in common with the group of people they try to lampoon. just take a look at sam's twitter page and you can see that the MDE fanbase has really just evolved into a sort of "hilter youth for hipsters" aesthetic.

unclear whether the whole team was angling for the alt-right fanbase or if they just found their niche and ran with it, but as a jewish person who could still somehow see the comedy in MDE, 2016 has revealed them to be a little too comfortable cuddling up with bigots of every flavor.

Yeah, I can say the alt-right stuff is a bit too obvious, but I feel like it's Sam Hyde spearheading it. They should tone it down a little bit, sometimes their best stuff isn't political.

Yeah no idea dude. I like 2070 Paradigm Shift and a silly vertical video as much as anyone else does, but this show was a complete misfire (as well as basically everything MDE has done in the last couple of years)

Bro, you scared me. I thought when you said vertical video, you meant the famous vertical video syndrome skit by the puppets was MDE, but thankfully that's Glove and Boots. Who are hilarious.

I think MDE can be quite funny. I think the anti-humor just rubs almost everybody who sees it the wrong way. Today, people already have a hard enough time separating themselves and their ideologies from any form of media and I think that is entirely who they are targeting.

I will never understand the mindset of those who would want to remove something because its creators ideologies are not their own. To me, that is an extreme form politically motivated censorship, which is a dangerous precedent to set. If you have a problem with something, don't watch it.

If that is their best sketch they deserve to be cancelled. What part of that is remotely funny?
You're not obligated to find it funny. What's funny isn't objective.

Yeah, I can say the alt-right stuff is a bit too obvious, but I feel like it's Sam Hyde spearheading it. They should tone it down a little bit, sometimes their best stuff isn't political.

i think you're right that the whole group probably isn't up for nazi appeal, but if you look at the stuff that nick and charls put out on their social media and combine it with the release of their new book (won't link to it here but it's pretty explicitly political,) it becomes clear to a casual observer that alt-right/fascist comedy is a big part of their lives now. seems tough for adult swim to overlook.

Renew the show. I've been following MDE before their big TED talk stunt and LOVE WP. Some of it is hit and missed but god damn this is their best sketch:

I really don't get it. Feels like a HS student project,

kunonabi

At first I was going to say the show should stay on since I'm tired of the left having this crazy monopoly on using tv and film as a soapbox and being able to bully shows they don't agree with off the air.

Nevermind. That was almost as bad as a Tim & Eric sketch.

Fuchsdh

Man, what happend to MDE? I used to enjoy some of their videos quite a lot when they were on YouTube. They made same really bizarre and clever videos making fun of gamers, anime culture etc. It got kinda mean-spirited sometimes and it sometimes made me feel uncomfortable but it was weird and interesting.

Flash-forward to now and its just super mean, hate speech and awfulness. That dudes twitter is just terrible to read.

I still feel like its a bit or something but if you act like a racist asshole you basically turn into a racist asshole.

I think you might not actually be a racist asshole in your heart of hearts, but you like the attention saying outlandish things brings you. And so you pander to them. Like with Trump I suppose it's largely an issue of semantics, because whether or not you buy into those beliefs you're still actively feeding on/reinforcing them.

At first I was going to say the show should stay on since I'm tired of the left having this crazy monopoly on using tv and film as a soapbox and being able to bully shows they don't agree with off the air.

Nevermind. That was almost as bad as a Tim & Eric sketch.

Conservatives as a rule just can't make good comedy. I mean I'm hardly on the "PC police!" side of the line when it comes to humor, be as offensive and outlandish as you want, but whenever they try it's just bad (I mean, someone would have to explain what the hell was supposed to be funny about that sketch.) I think at the root of it is that they generally can't actually make fun of themselves. How long did that "the conservative answer to The Daily Show!" series last?

I will never understand the mindset of those who would want to remove something because its creators ideologies are not their own. To me, that is an extreme form politically motivated censorship, which is a dangerous precedent to set. If you have a problem with something, don't watch it.

When it comes to Actual Nazis, I find myself weirdly okay with that. Fascists don't care about "debate". What they care about is shifting the Overton Window of ideas it's socially acceptable to express in public.

IrishNinja

According to one source with knowledge of the network’s operations, it’s likely that Lazzo is already aware of the show’s solicitations of the alt-right. The same source said that the Adult Swim standards department repeatedly found coded racist messages in the show, including swastikas, which were removed ahead of broadcast. None of this was enough, according to one of the sources, to convince Lazzo not to air the show.

right then, into the bushes with this dude & his network

Man, what happend to MDE? I used to enjoy some of their videos quite a lot when they were on YouTube. They made same really bizarre and clever videos making fun of gamers, anime culture etc. It got kinda mean-spirited sometimes and it sometimes made me feel uncomfortable but it was weird and interesting.

Flash-forward to now and its just super mean, hate speech and awfulness. That dudes twitter is just terrible to read.

I still feel like its a bit or something but if you act like a racist asshole you basically turn into a racist asshole.
I looked into this the last time it came up on NeoGAF and I'm pretty sure it is a particularly convincing satire. But yes, there's definitely a reasonable argument to be made that putting satirical but realistic hate speech out there is morally equivalent to actual hate speech. Even if everybody was in on the joke (and 95% of their fans probably aren't, and that's being generous), you're still making people feel pretty terrible for something that's not really doing anything other than showing off how ballsy you are.

When it comes to Actual Nazis, I find myself weirdly okay with that. Fascists don't care about "debate". What they care about is shifting the Overton Window of ideas it's socially acceptable to express in public.

My point is exactly that because that's your opinion doesn't mean that it can't exist. Removing it because people differ of ideological opinion on it sets a bad precedent in either direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom