• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adult Swim Talent Want The Network To Cancel Its Alt-Right Comedy Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwolBro

Banned
ok, so now people want comedy sketches canceled because they're uncomfortable with it?

before i conclude this another example of overstepping someone please show me a clip that could actually be considered racist, alt-right, whatever people are claiming it to be.

Bread

Banned
ok, so now people want comedy sketches canceled because they're uncomfortable with it?

before i conclude this another example of overstepping someone please show me a clip that could actually be considered racist, alt-right, whatever people are claiming it to be.
How about the one where they call Chelsea Clinton ugly

That gross enough for you?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

There's uncomfortable and then there's this. This show isn't clever or anything. It's just sad and cynical.

Fox Mulder

I'm curious as to what alt right humor is like.

Has to be more than just mean spirited jokes on race with no punch lines and/or calling people cucks?

Vyer

you guys being sarcastic?

i'm genuinely asking for a clip where there could be grounds for adult swim to cancel the show (besides just not being funny)

the grounds are that it's run by white supremacists.

if you require a clip where they come out in hoods and talk about lynching minorities, no that's probably not going to happen.

DarkKyo

This show is the dumbest, unfunniest shit I've ever seen on Adult Swim. It's the only show on the network in a long time where I need to dive for the remote when it comes on.

you guys being sarcastic?

i'm genuinely asking for a clip where there could be grounds for adult swim to cancel the show (besides just not being funny)

What do people need to do to have the right to have an opinion on something? You seem eager to hand out or withhold permission for people to hold opinions. Why is that?

HotHamBoy

well if we needed any more reason to believe that this guy is a scumbag...

that's your boy, MDE fans. cool guy.

Holy fucking shit, burn it down.

Gelman is an awesome dude. Far more talented than Hyde.

Also I don't think the show really pushes any boundaries, none that Tim and Eric really haven't pushed?

Are you fucking kidding? I'm pretty sure the only boundry Tim and Eric ever pushed was the amount of vomit and feces you could cram into 11 minutes.

They've never touched on anything remotely close to a "stance."

SwolBro

Banned
the grounds are that it's run by white supremacists.

if you require a clip where they come out in hoods and talk about lynching minorities, no that's probably not going to happen.

if there is actual evidence of that then ok but if it's speculation then no i don't see a reason to wipe a show off the air.

i'm always hesitant to immediately start censoring shit. remember what happened to bill maher because he said something that was taken incorrectly after 911?

It's a little depressing how many people in this thread are cool with a platform being given to white nationalists with a "lol who cares" mentality.

HotHamBoy

It's a little depressing how many people in this thread are cool with a platform being given to white nationalists with a "lol who cares" mentality.

Trump is the President-elect.

if there is actual evidence of that then ok but if it's speculation then no i don't see a reason to wipe a show off the air.

i'm always hesitant to immediately start censoring shit. remember what happened to bill maher because he said something that was taken incorrectly after 911?

There's a big difference between being censored and getting canceled.

"Censored" is when the network removes all the hidden swastikas before your show airs.

Guys I'm pretty sure Sam Hyde is really just a funny guy wh-

uVxR5un.png

🤔🤔🤔

Eusis

That sounds like cuck talk to me.
I would think the problem with "cuck" is that it's submissive, but then if they take an opening are they really submissive?

I think it's like a lingual virus. They start saying it enough and their brain goes up into their own asshole. Then they speak like the chickens do, exclusively.

HotHamBoy

I would think the problem with "cuck" is that it's submissive, but then if they take an opening are they really submissive?

I think it's like a lingual virus. They start saying it enough and their brain goes up into their own asshole. Then they speak like the chickens do, exclusively.

The problem with "cuck" is that it's only an insult to the people who say it.

It probably is joking, it's just kinda dumb.

Check out the rest of his Twitter feed. He's an alt-right fuckwit.

6CfPzjc.jpg

Eusis

No it's probably just that it tickles the same part of our brain that likes to say fuck. Except they want to be contrarian, meaning it's like the hipster version of fuck.

Breads

Banned

Uh oh. Quantum locked again. Thankfully you can look to the thousands of alt-right super fans of the show for your evidence!

I watched the show and some of the skits were kind of genius in how absurd and abstract they were (that prison sketch wew) while others fell flat on their face.

Some problematic themes were definitely apparent but I'm not for filtering it completely either, it was probably the most interesting thing Adult Swim has put on the air in years.

i peeped the prison skit on youtube...damn that was fantastic. pretty solid subtext there too about self-denial until it's too late and you fucked everything up.

if there's racist themes in some other skits though then I'm not interested in seeing it but that prison one was certainly good

Uh oh. Quantum locked again. Thankfully you can look to the thousands of alt-right super fans of the show for your evidence!

Im sure people on the alt right eat certain ntands of food and drink ..... bam that too because they are fans of it?

This line of reasoning is completely stupid. Lets ban milk .... its a favourite of the alt right.

How about the one where they call Chelsea Clinton ugly

That gross enough for you?

Not "alt right" or even a reason to ban something.

Do some of you believe it should be banned because someone tokd you it was bad and should be banned?

I have yet to see one post from anyone that can show me anything they have done in this show that is a problem.

Schnozberry

Not "alt right" or even a reason to ban something.

Do some of you believe it should be banned because someone tokd you it was bad and should be banned?

I have yet to see one post from anyone that can show me anything they have done in this show that is a problem.

Other than being rather banal and unfunny, I really don't know what they've done that should get them banned from the network. Though, being genuinely awful television is a pretty good reason not to be renewed.

Other than being rather banal and unfunny, I really don't know what they've done that should get them banned from the network. Though, being genuinely awful television is a pretty good reason not to be renewed.

Subjective opinions on quality is not what is being used against this show to get it banned.

joe2187

Banned
I always always change the channel or do something else whenever anything Live-Action came on on Adult swim.

Nothing was funny or entertaining ever, Loiter Squad was just stupid and outright mean at times, Saul of the molemen was.....just asinine...and I remember their being others, but Live Action shows just dont work.

I always always change the channel or do something else whenever anything Live-Action came on on Adult swim.

Nothing was funny or entertaining ever, Loiter Squad was just stupid and outright mean at times, Saul of the molemen was.....just asinine...and I remember their being others, but Live Action shows just dont work.

nah. Tim and Eric had a great run.

HotHamBoy

nah. Tim and Eric had a great run.

Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories, Check It Out! with Steve Brule, Decker (sensing a pattern here?) are all great!

Eagleheart and Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell are both pretty funny (and delightfully stupid).

I've also enjoyed some of their one-offs and specials, too. "The Greatest Event In Television History" series, the Brett Gelman Dinner series, some of those infomercials.

Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories, Check It Out! with Steve Brule, Decker (sensing a pattern here?) are all great!

Eagleheart and Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell are both pretty funny (and delightfully stupid).

I've also enjoyed some of their one-offs and specials, too. "The Greatest Event In Television History" series, the Brett Gelman Dinner series, some of those infomercials.

Decker is amazing. Might be my favorite thing that team has ever done.

Young Person's Guide to History is another good one.

Bread

Banned

Delocated is one of the best comedy shows of the past decade

His shit is nihilistic, self-agrandizing, pseudo-intellectual, and barely-veiled resentment and hatred which he then attempts to post-rationalize. His schtick is 3 times abstracted meta irony, which is just fucking obnoxious and cringe inducing. A bitter basement dweller with a side of columbine if I've ever seen one. Definitely mentally unstable.

It's dark, tormented absurdist humor that makes you feel uncomfortable rather than laugh.

Nerrel

Their YouTube leaks alt-right? I think? It couldn't possibly be a work could it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ePhVDYRiE

Why oh why did I read the comments.
giphy.gif

Renew the show. I've been following MDE before their big TED talk stunt and LOVE WP. Some of it is hit and missed but god damn this is their best sketch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58eaYbkIHeg

Fart sounds and a gay accent is their best? ...

I've watched all the videos posted here and given them a chance and... none of them are even slightly funny. It's not even bias because of the subject of this thread, it's just... really stupid material. Sorry if you like it.

gun_haver

As far as me, I've followed MDE and Sam Hyde for a few years on youtube because I thought they did genuinely edgy stuff which was funny and refreshing in how gleefully they like to go up to the line, and then step over it sometimes. Comedy is supposed to be destabilising to the established, and for a lot of people in the west, the established is a cozy soft progressivism that is only based on superficial reinforcement from your social groups and internet funnels, rather than any actual critical thought. That's not good enough and I think part of the glee Sam takes in pissing people off is because he knows that a lot of apparently left-wing people really just go with the crowd and can't back up what they have to say.

See, we've got a problem where politics in comedy has become a complete echo chamber - everybody says the same kind of stuff when it comes to these things. There's an assumption that we all share the same mentality, and as we are learning these days, we actually don't. We've just excised all exposure to the other sides of society. Whether you think there is a chance in hell they could be right about a couple of things or not, a good way to start going wrong is to start denying yourself different viewpoints.

Also - this topic has run wild saying Sam Hyde is a white nationalist, has basically ignored the fact that the guy who wrote this article has a personal reason to not like Sam Hyde and that there almost certainly were never swastikas or whatever in the original cuts of the show. Do you just want everybody to blithely say 'well i guess the guy is a nazi let's ban him from tv', even though there isn't any actual evidence of that?

Cos what we're talking about here is well World Peace should be cancelled because alt-right people like the show, and also he retweets dumb shit on twitter sometimes, etc.

And look - MDE is an ugly thing. I've had to turn off their stuff sometimes either cos Sam just gets too trolly or it just makes me feel like shit. I'm not necessarily liking the lean into right wing politics from them, but it's at least something different. Aren't any of you the least bit curious about how their minds work and how they see things? No? Just make them go away?

It isn't about Sam Hyde or MDE. This is about some fairly right wing guys coming into a corner of western culture that left wing people have determined they own and nobody can act out of line. So what is happening is people are exaggerating the actual transgressions, simplifying them down to a few trending phrases, and saying they should be all be fired and shoved somewhere we never have to see them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom