• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adult Swim Talent Want The Network To Cancel Its Alt-Right Comedy Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only watched the moms skit and found it to be extremely ugly and misogynist so never watched anything else. I dont know if it was real or not as far as the actresses not being in on the joke, but the premise seemed to be let's say really mean things to these women.

My point is exactly that because that's your opinion doesn't mean that it can't exist. Removing it because people differ of ideological opinion on it sets a bad precedent in either direction.

you're right that it's bad to cancel the show just because it's subversive. i too am concerned with censorship based on ideology, but you're kidding yourself if you think the MDE guys maybe having their show canceled is in any way setting a meaningful precedent. you might disagree that fascism, anti-semitism, racism, etc. aren't valid reasons to cancel a comedy show, but those aren't just concepts or ideologies to most people.

also since we're both worried about censorship and those in power using their media influence to control the flow of information, i would argue that steve bannon and peter thiel being advisers to our newly anointed president worries me a bit more than the ideological makeup of the adult swim lineup. unfortunately the media landscape that our political leaders hope for likely wouldn't have much room for a group like MDE either. we are further down this slippery slope than you might think.

Henkka

Banned
Racist flier posted after Trump election:

Note the bottom right. Maybe not racist, but clearly #1 with racists.

Sam Hyde is kind of a 4chan meme. The point of the meme is to convince mainstream outlets that he's behind some horrible shit, like the latest shooting or whatever. They post that image of him holding a gun, captioned like "FIRST PICTURE OF SHOOTER". I remember a photoshopped picture of him was posted in the GAF thread about the shooting in Germany a couple months ago.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/sam-hyde

Dead

well not really...yet
I watched the show and some of the skits were kind of genius in how absurd and abstract they were (that prison sketch wew) while others fell flat on their face.

Some problematic themes were definitely apparent but I'm not for filtering it completely either, it was probably the most interesting thing Adult Swim has put on the air in years.

Doesn't this show get decent ratings for AS? If so will be interesting to see if they indeed cancel it. They have made many weird decisions… i want my Dethklok back…

My point is exactly that because that's your opinion doesn't mean that it can't exist. Removing it because people differ of ideological opinion on it sets a bad precedent in either direction.

It can exist. Other people can speak out against it. "Freedom of speech" does not mandate silence from those who disagree with something.

If we're honestly at the point where "You're not allowed to criticize the Nazi show, even to the point of saying it should be taken off the air" is a violation of free speech or setting some kind of terrible precedent, then I think it may be time to pack it in and call the whole society thing a loss.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
An Inconvenient Anime and Sams TedX talk are some of the best YT videos ever. Really didn't think the show was that good tbh I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get picked up again.

I think MDE can be quite funny. I think the anti-humor just rubs almost everybody who sees it the wrong way. Today, people already have a hard enough time separating themselves and their ideologies from any form of media and I think that is entirely who they are targeting.

I will never understand the mindset of those who would want to remove something because its creators ideologies are not their own. To me, that is an extreme form politically motivated censorship, which is a dangerous precedent to set. If you have a problem with something, don't watch it.

You're not obligated to find it funny. What's funny isn't objective.

That is an absurd and regressive idea. Bigotry isn't politics.

Breads

Banned
I want to know what Dan Harmon thinks about this.

:edit:

He's (((Dan Harmon))) on twitter now. When did this happen. Holy shit I gotta know what he thinks now there is no way he can not have an opinion on this.

I think MDE can be quite funny. I think the anti-humor just rubs almost everybody who sees it the wrong way. Today, people already have a hard enough time separating themselves and their ideologies from any form of media and I think that is entirely who they are targeting.

I will never understand the mindset of those who would want to remove something because its creators ideologies are not their own. To me, that is an extreme form politically motivated censorship, which is a dangerous precedent to set. If you have a problem with something, don't watch it.

You're not obligated to find it funny. What's funny isn't objective.

Well this post isn't funny at all.

It's sad.

Sad because these kinds of attitudes are what cause people to sit back and do nothing when lines get crossed.

Anti-Semitism is an okay ideology now?

DrBo42

Based on my time following MDE and Sam over the years they're terrible to every group (don't read that as an excuse, just background for their comedy). They definitely have been latched on to by alt-right and 4chan memers though. He's always played into it to a point but considering he's apparently a Trump supporter...who knows. I honestly can't tell what's genuine with him anymore.

Sanjuro

I keep hearing about these guys, but I don't think I've ever seen a live broadcast or heard about them except when threads were produced on this board.

I keep hearing about these guys, but I don't think I've ever seen a live broadcast or heard about them except when threads were produced on this board.

it takes a pretty particular type of person to even want to give their humor a chance. the group as a whole has a dedicated following and has existed for a while before adult swim picked them up and buzzfeed started reporting on them.

they're east coast based (rhode island is where they met i think.) the group definitely started out as more of a subversive "no comedy is off limits, jokes were funnier before PC culture" style, but of course if you go too far down that rabbit hole you end up in bed with the pepe frog internet kids.

despite how the crew started, their brand is pretty inherently interwoven with politics now. some of the more die-hard MDE fans actually saw them getting an adult swim show as selling out.

another reason you might not hear much about them is that sam hyde especially couches most of his public persona in irony and a lot of what he says is meant to obfuscate the reality of what MDE stands for as a group. i don't even think their wikipedia page is totally correct.

It can exist. Other people can speak out against it. "Freedom of speech" does not mandate silence from those who disagree with something.

If we're honestly at the point where "You're not allowed to criticize the Nazi show, even to the point of saying it should be taken off the air" is a violation of free speech or setting some kind of terrible precedent, then I think it may be time to pack it in and call the whole society thing a loss.

No, criticize it all you want, but demanding to remove it because it's offensive is stupid.

Well this post isn't funny at all.

It's sad.

Sad because these kinds of attitudes are what cause people to sit back and do nothing when lines get crossed.

Anti-Semitism is an okay ideology now?

I never even once implied that.

My point is simply that the show can be judged separately from the ideologies and beliefs of its creators.

TV is garbage lowest common denominator bullshit for the most part and I think that regardless of what Sam Hyde and his group believe in, that this show is at least different than most things I can see on TV. I do not view TV programs as bridges to ideologies and make every attempt to divorce that from the product itself.

Sanjuro

it takes a pretty particular type of person to even want to give their humor a chance. the group as a whole has a dedicated following and has existed for a while before adult swim picked them up and buzzfeed started reporting on them.

they're east coast based (rhode island is where they met i think.) the group definitely started out as more of a subversive "no comedy is off limits, jokes were funnier before PC culture" style, but of course if you go too far down that rabbit hole you end up in bed with the pepe frog internet kids.

despite how the crew started, their brand is pretty inherently interwoven with politics now. some of the more die-hard MDE fans actually saw them getting an adult swim show as selling out.

another reason you might not hear much about them is that sam hyde especially couches most of his public persona in irony and a lot of what he says is meant to obfuscate the reality of what MDE stands for as a group. i don't even think their wikipedia page is totally correct.

That's where I'm from, which surprised me the most. From the last thread I watched some episodes. I didn't find it funny, but there was nothing there which enforced why I should strongly dislike this.

Dio

Banned
Yeah, here's some examples of Sam Hyde's content ripping on typical right-wing loonies. I think he's still ultra entrenched in irony.

You'll notice that one of the skits:

https://youtu.be/i3Xoqy0iTns?t=78

is making fun of the wacko alt-right people, talking about 'how the only way to have safe money is to put your money in gold bars, like in Looney Tunes" (one of the alt-right/libertarian tenets is how awesome the gold standard is and how everyone should switch to it) and "if you wanna be safe, get a bomb shelter, get an AK-47 and booby trap your house with live grenades."

I still think Sam Hyde is just fucking with everybody.

Oh right, here's him making fun of "redpilled" conspiracy nuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc5wkQm6B44

I dunno. I don't think a comedian should stop doing a bit that some people find entertaining just because other people 'don't get it.'

For example, this is one of Sam Hyde's more hilarious bits, pretending to be an anime fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVDDnDzpoHM

where he does a speech without warning at a local anime convention, without any warning, to basically do one long extended bit satirizing Japanese culture fetishism and bringing up Unit 731 among other things. Some of this shit is comedy gold.

gun_haver

What's the joke?

As for the swastikas - Sam says they didn't put any swastikas in their pre-broadcasts cuts of the show. He says the wouldn't do that because it wouldn't be funny, it's their first TV show and they were all nervous, and on top of that the person who is checking the edits is Jewish so it would just be a guaranteed way to get the show thrown out before it was ever shown.

He says that in the response video posted earlier. I believe him.

Dio

Banned
He might be fucking with everyone...but have you seen that subreddit that he moderates?
I don't read reddit, so I wouldn't know. That being said, I do see where people are coming from regarding 'irony' becoming 'sincere' in places like /pol/ - I just don't think he's there yet.

Just a reminder Sam Hyde cooperated and encouraged Jace Connors AKA ParkourDude91 in producing a video about how he was on his way to 'see' a game developer who he pretended was trying to kill him. Jace had previously posted content about how he was going to murder said game dev.

I don't read reddit, so I wouldn't know. That being said, I do see where people are coming from regarding 'irony' becoming 'sincere' in places like /pol/ - I just don't think he's there yet.

check out sam's twitter. he retweets fascist memes, hangs out with nazis, thinks that rachel maddow is out to get to him, and even did an interview with mike cernovich. i cut comic personalities a lot of slack, but it's clear that MDE is the picture perfect image of conservative irony evolving into just general bigotry.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm out of the loop. What does the ((( ))) around a name signify?

wenis covered it but it's an alt-right way of identifying people with Jewish heritage. They call them echoes. People wised up on it when someone submitted an extension to the chrome store that auto (((echoed))) jewish names or "suspected Jewish members of the media and entertainment industries."

Here's an article on the extension: http://fortune.com/2016/06/03/google-chrome-jews/

well if we needed any more reason to believe that this guy is a scumbag...

that's your boy, MDE fans. cool guy.

I wonder if it's less that he's a Nazi and more that he's just an absolute piece of shit, and the Nazi stuff is just what lets him do the most harm to the most people? Have a feeling he'd be an asshole no matter what political party he joined. Some people just get high off of conflict and cruelty.

Bread

Banned
I wonder if it's less that he's a Nazi and more that he's just an absolute piece of shit, and the Nazi stuff is just what lets him do the most harm to the most people? Have a feeling he'd be an asshole no matter what political party he joined. Some people just get high off of conflict and cruelty.
Well he's definitely a piece of shit, that's not debatable after watching the video. The nazi stuff...I mean look at the comments on his video. All the ((()))s and dog whistling. No smoke...

J_Viper

I watched the show and some of the skits were kind of genius in how absurd and abstract they were (that prison sketch wew) while others fell flat on their face.

Some problematic themes were definitely apparent but I'm not for filtering it completely either, it was probably the most interesting thing Adult Swim has put on the air in years.

Yeah I agree with this.

The sketches that worked really killed me, and even the ones that didn't hit the mark are so bizarre that I was entertained anyway. It's a great follow up to Eric's show

I hope it doesn't get canceled.

Eusis

i wish all this alt-right pushback happened, y'know, before they took the white house
It's what happens when it doesn't look like they have a realistic chance of taking it.

Hell, it probably wasn't THE biggest factor for the election outside of vanilla sexism and frustration in the rust belt. But seeing such a spectacular failure in the electoral college does make one want to look at every possible angle and attack it rather than simply grumbling about it.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
wenis covered it but it's an alt-right way of identifying people with Jewish heritage. They call them echoes. People wised up on it when someone submitted an extension to the chrome store that auto (((echoed))) jewish names or "suspected Jewish members of the media and entertainment industries."

Here's an article on the extension: http://fortune.com/2016/06/03/google-chrome-jews/

I never realized how deep this online Alt right culture went until just now. They created a fucking extension to chrome to make being racist easier..... That is sickening

Dweebo

Banned
Oh, well this almost guarantees it'll be back because of controversy then.

Also I enjoyed what I've seen of it, reminds when Adult Swim was absurd, disturbing and genuinely funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom