• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advance Wars |OT| What's an airport? (Wii U VC)

- CO powers used to be able to bail out poor strategic choices, but they took so long to charge up in DoR, and when used, they weren't as effective as regular CO powers.
Yeah the people who cite more modest co powers as a positive don't seem to realize that many people love the hell out of utterly broken special moves.

Lunar15

I'm not the kind of guy that likes to wax poetic over nostalgic things, but lord, GBA games are obnoxiously nostalgic. I remember a lot of car trips with this and Golden Sun.

MAtgS

Still have my AW2 cart but will probably get this when it's released. Do we have to play on the gamepad or can I play on tv as well?

#Sami4SSB4

tuffy

Still have my AW2 cart but will probably get this when it's released. Do we have to play on the gamepad or can I play on tv as well?
I'm sure there'll be an option for either.

It'll be like having my Gameboy Player all over again.

How's the emulation on this guys? The screens released by Nintendo look a fair bit darker than the screens in the OP.

Edit: Oops. Thought it was out for some reason today. I guess we'll know by this time next week.

Screenboy

Not intending to attack you personally, but isn't this statement indicative of some kind of modern malaise? Surely quality games like this are worth £6, especially when they would have cost many times more in the past?

It's not that I don't think the games not worth that I was thinking about Nintendo's pricing in general. The conversion from $ - £ would make it £4.80, why should we have to pay an extra couple of quid??

Nintendo are massively struggling over here in the UK, they should try and be a bit more value for money!

Blizzard

Banned
I'm glad this is coming to North America virtual console too, awesome series.

I'm very slowly working on making a game for Steam/Wii U inspired by Advance Wars and its sprite style, but the mechanics will probably be different enough that I don't know if the audiences will overlap.

I think the sprite work for Advance Wars is great too, though I wasn't quite as much of a fan of the Days of Ruin diagonal unit and slanted map style.

Blizzard

Banned
Bad aspects of Advance Wars 1:
  • AI being able to see through fog of war is BS. I thought I was going crazy, but nope, it just uses wallhacks to see you.

Good aspects of Advance Wars 1:
  • It has the original version of Max in all his muscled glory before his powers got toned down. When you get tanks and bombers rolling with his CO power, things will be DESTROYED.

Taffer

I still haven't even started AW2 even though I've had it for years. I just start up the first one whenever I need some AW. Tonight I'll give it a go thanks to this thread reminding me how much I loved AW.

kW8XWpO.png

As Sami, naturally.

sugarless

It's not that I don't think the games not worth that I was thinking about Nintendo's pricing in general. The conversion from $ - £ would make it £4.80, why should we have to pay an extra couple of quid??

Nintendo are massively struggling over here in the UK, they should try and be a bit more value for money!

Ahh, I see, apologies. Yeah, even with tax on top we're losing out there.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I didn't expect them to convert the link cable vs. into an online vs. (and they didn't) but I completely forgot that you could just pass a single cart around for multiplayer. And that's still in. Couch multiplayer has returned!

StayDead

I still haven't even started AW2 even though I've had it for years. I just start up the first one whenever I need some AW. Tonight I'll give it a go thanks to this thread reminding me how much I loved AW.

kW8XWpO.png

As Sami, naturally.

Sami was always my favourite character. If anything nobody being like her was the only thing I didn't like about DoR. Everything else I loved, I especially adored the way the CO unit feature worked.

RedShift

Just started replaying DoR, weirdle 6 years to the day since I last played it.

The dialogue is really really awful but it's a fun game.

RiggyRob

Just started replaying DoR, weirdle 6 years to the day since I last played it.

The dialogue is really really awful but it's a fun game.

Be glad you didn't get the EU Dark Conflict version -_-

How well does the multiplayer work? Passing the Gamepad around seemed like it might get tedious after a while.

RiggyRob

Oh I do, I just forgot the name here. Is it better in the US version?

I preferred the narrative in Days of Ruin compared to Dark Conflict - not only is the humour, dialogue and the naming convention better (seriously, Artillery is now called a Mech Gun?), but some subtle cues relating to the plot are changed. For example, the first time you meet Waylon in Days of Ruin, The Beast's theme is played, but in Dark Conflict it's Design Time instead.

Oh I do, I just forgot the name here. Is it better in the US version?
Well the unit names are not literal translations of the Japanese versions and are consistent with the rest of the series e.g. Mech is Mech rather than Bazooka.

As for the script. Take a look yourself. Most people would say DoR is better. I think the DoR version has some occasional forced humor but there is more characterization with accents and stuff (Waylon certainly comes off a bit more Texan than Finn). I forgot if there was a strangelove reference in the one of War Room (seems like there should be at least one, especially as you can't fight in there...if you're going to force humor it is too obvious not to).

RiggyRob

Well the unit names are not literal translations of the Japanese versions and are consistent with the rest of the series e.g. Mech is Mech rather than Bazooka.

As for the script. Take a look yourself. Most people would say DoR is better. I think the DoR version has some occasional forced humor but there is more characterization with accents and stuff (Waylon certainly comes off a bit more Texan than Finn). I forgot if there was a strangelove reference in the one of War Room (seems like there should be at least one, especially as you can't fight in there...if you're going to force humor it is too obvious not to).

My favourite part of the War Room in Days of Ruin was this:

=====Tactics War Room=====

Brenner: Oh, Will. Come in.

Will: Captain Brenner? Can you give me any tips for the upcoming battle?

Brenner: Of course. I'd be glad to. Hold on one second... ...Blast! Now where
did I put those...

Will: Did you lose something, Captain?

Brenner: Lin gave me some notes for this tactics session, but I can't seem
to find them. Ah ha! Here they are! ...Oh, wait. That's just a drawing of a
tank I made when I was bored...

Will: Um...Captain? Are you really getting all your strategy from Lin? Maybe
you should keep that a secret from the rest of the troops...

Brenner: She's a natural teacher, Will. I'm just not much for that kind of
thing. Yes! Here they are! OK, let's see what she has to say...

~~~~~Flash to Field~~~~~

Brenner: "Captain. Tell Will to quickly capture factories and cities. He
needs to defend his foot soldiers with other units as they do so. The area
southeast of the factory will make an ideal defensive perimeter. If the enemy
swarms you, retreat to this area and regroup. And have him build an anti-tank
unit for the enemy's war tank." That's it.

Will: Is that all?

Brenner: Yes, that's... Oh, wait a second. "P.S. Don't just read this to
Will. Pretend you thought of it yourself." ...Damn.

~~~~War Room~~~~~

Brenner: Let's just keep this to ourselves, all right?

Compare that to this in Dark Conflict:
=====Tactics Briefing Room=====

O'Brian: Ed, come in.

Ed: Captain O'Brian! Can you give me any tips on how to handle this battle?

O'Brian: Yes, that should be no problem... Er, one moment... Gah, where's
it gone?

Ed: Captain? Have you lost something?

O'Brian: Er, yes. Lin made me some notes on tactics tips. But I've lost them
somewhere...

Ed: Captain O'Brian? I didn't realise that you were getting tips from
First Lieutenant Lin! Maybe you should keep that a secret from the rest of
the troops...

O'Brian: I guess I just prefer to let my actions do the talking. I'm not a
natural teacher like Lin... Ah, I've found her notes! Let's see what she
has to say...

~~~~~Flash to Field~~~~~

O'Brian: "Capture factories and cities. Defend Infantry units with other units
while they are capturing these assets. The terrain south-east of the factory
is ideal or setting up defences. If the enemy produces more units, retreat
to the area by the factory. Produce Anti-Tank units to take on the enemy's
Mega Tank." That's it.

Ed: But Captain, you just repeated what First Lieutenant Lin wrote!

O'Brian: I guess words aren't my strong point!

That PS in the Days of Ruin dialogue is a small change, but it makes a huge difference in creating a humourous situation with Brenner - O'Brian (ugh) just looks like a weaksauce commander in comparison.

If you look deep into the background of the movie Mr. 3000 and enhance, enhance..., you can maybe make out me and my friend playing this game in Miller Park all night while getting paid to be extras.

ohlawd

guys, I totally remember why I kept putting this game away back then.

FOG OF WAR. What a buncha horsecrap. Right now I got Max vs Grit (like mission 5? iunno). I haven't started it yet but I know I'll probably die.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Just got around to buying this and it finished downloading, this will be my first advance wars(though I own both battalion wars) so I cant wait, they really did scan the booklets and its awesome.

foxuzamaki

Doing the field training, I have my headphones plugged into my gamepad and I'm really liking the music that's playing, kinda surprised it isnt talked about more.

Blizzard

Banned
Doing the field music, I have mu headphones plugged into my gamepad and I'm really liking the music that's playing, kinda surprised it isnt talked about more.
There's a variety of decent music in the Advance Wars series, and some of it is actually very catchy.

StayDead

Well my mate was coming over for a bit so I decided to throw the £4 (700yen) for Advanced Wars 1+2. Played a quick match with him and it reminded me how much I love these games. Gonna be playing this a lot I think! I never finished the second one when I was younger and never even played the first. This time though <3

foxuzamaki

Having a strategic plan fall exactly into place is such a satisfying feeling, that feeling when you know you will win

I like my battleships in bulk.

zlCfzRwaiJEsz16UbV

Why capture the enemy HQ when you can isolate the enemy and shore bombard them until you win?

Fun fact: at least six of the battleships in this image were used for shore bombardment when invading Green HQ on the main peninsula. Bombers were used quite heavily as well.

Even when three factions were in play, I maintained naval supremacy from the center of the map westward; even then, I sicked a few cruisers on some Blue submarines early on because I knew that Green didn't have any ports, which means that I was the most probable target for those submarines. Eventually the Blue AI and I reached an agreement not to attack each other until Green was taken care of; a half dozen battleships, a quarter of a dozen bombers, and 2 transport choppers (not counting earlier losses) later and I managed to gain map control thanks to repeated battleship salvos and strategic use of bombers. From there, I decided to just have fun by destroying Blue's isolated units and then bombarding that home island until every unit was destroyed.

I won the battle in 100 days on the nose.

npa189

Such a great game, fond memories. It looks surprisingly good on HD screen, the Genesis 3D guys are porting these right? They should just be in charge of the virtual console. It still baffles me why these aren't on 3DS.

Raxus

I think it's actually the best in terms of gameplay. I loved Dual Strike, and the colourful designs are clearly superior, but Days of Ruin is a more balanced game with some awesome features.

Essentially, just removing the 'dual CO powers' from Dual Strike was always going to make the sequel better but CO units, far better air combat and the ability to zoom in were all damn good ideas. The only problem I had with days of ruin was that it was SO balanced that it was easier than ever to fall into a stalemate.

EDIT: Interesting seeing Days of Ruin get praised so highly in a thread filled with AW fans. Didn't know what the consensus was on it.

Pretty much nailed my feelings as well.

If anyone plays Eagle in this game you are an asshole lol. Strike twice my ass.

StayDead

The move and shoot mechanic for ranged units in Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin was just perfect. Battleships were awesome <3

Wow, fantastic OT for a 13 year old game, better than most new release ones!

I first played this series on DS after first playing Fire Emblem, and I felt really sad whenever units died because I was so used to getting attached to them, like to the point that I would actually get really mad at the enemy.

You really can't win wars in this series without "breaking a few eggs" so to speak, which is what sets it apart from FE.

I really hope the choices of Metroid Fusion and Advance Wars are supposed to be hinting at future releases... (Yoshi's Island would be the only way they can cash in on New Island since the SNES version can't currently be emulated for some legal reason).

Why japan gets a pack of both games and us just the first one? :(
That is how they got it on GBA, they also had to wait about 3 years for that*. Why? 9/11 kind of shelved the game over there, then the sequel came out was forgotten, then a year and a half after that, this finally came out. I feel for this VC release they could have easily cut the games up (I'd imagine it is your typical staple 2 ROMs together stick some sort of loader at the front) but Nintendo decided to respect the original release.

*-It is better than what happened with Days of Ruin which only recently got a release. A digital Club Nintendo reward at that.

Top Bottom