• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time: The Final Seasons |OT| The Fullmetal Optimist

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronRinn

Uncle Gumbald.
That's a pretty deep cut, isn't it? He's only mentioned like once. Cool to see that come back, though. Edit: Oh wait, he shows up in The Thin Yellow Line.

I keep thinking about the Lich referring to himself as the "last scholar of GOLB" last episode. I wonder if GOLB will be this season's ultimate antagonist.

big ander

Abstract and Ketchup were good. the rest this week were eh. I get they'll start neatly wrapping up loose ends but nothing felt all that imaginative.

Did enjoy hearing Charlotte Newhouse as Other Fionna

Shauni

So, I don't know if they do AT stuff at SDCC, but has there been any word on the Season 7 Blu-ray release? Are they really just going to release it on DVD?

That's a pretty deep cut, isn't it? He's only mentioned like once. Cool to see that come back, though. Edit: Oh wait, he shows up in The Thin Yellow Line.

I keep thinking about the Lich referring to himself as the "last scholar of GOLB" last episode. I wonder if GOLB will be this season's ultimate antagonist.

GOLB is in pieces orbiting the Earth, and doesn't seem to be evil or anything, so I doubt it.

EDIT: Wait, no, nevermind, I'm thinking of GLOB aren't I? Yeah, he may be.

So, in regards to the Fionna episode

What's the thought behind that one? Was Fionna and Cake a TV show from pre-mushroom war that's somehow still being beamed from old satellites and Ice King picks up through his warped mind? Pretty meta, because that means Fionna and Cake is the actual Adventure Time show of the Adventure Time universe

No.

Fionna and Cake are actual people from a alternate dimension that both Ice King and that monitor device are tuned into.

Psxphile

My god, seriously!? So, I may have to import to continue my collection in the same format? What the hell, CN.

CN always delays the blu-ray season set. They're never announced at the same time as the DVD, so they may yet still have one planned. They're just not announcing it (yet).

Shauni

CN always delays the blu-ray season set. They're never announced at the same time as the DVD, so they may yet still have one planned. They're just not announcing it (yet).

Not for Adventure Time. All of the Blu-ray and DVD editions were released at the same time except for the first season. 2-6 were simultaneous

So...are we still on Season 8, or did Season 9 start with the Elements?

I'm seeing conflicting sources, and I'm not sure what season we truly are on atm.

Psxphile

So...are we still on Season 8, or did Season 9 start with the Elements?

I'm seeing conflicting sources, and I'm not sure what season we truly are on atm.

For all intents and purposes we are definitely in Season 9 now. It wasn't exactly clear because we never knew just how many episodes were greenlighted for Season 8. I blame the fact that there was literally no fanfare about us going into Season 9. It's been stated before that the entire AT run will (ultimately) be comprised of 284 episodes. Three Buckets is episode 266. This pointed at Season 9 being much smaller in episode count than previous seasons, production-wise.

Because of this, CN started to reorder how many episodes were in each season by chopping off the tail-end of Season 7 and making it the beginning of Season 8 both on their website and by their season set release of Season 7. As such, some of S8's episodes that we *thought* were S8 were now part of Season 9.

This is how it was before (not counting shorts):
S7 = 39 episodes (The More You Moe, The Moe You Know counts as two)
S8 = ?? episodes (this OT operated under the assumption it would be at least 30+)
S9 = ?? episodes (comprised of the remainder)

This is how it is now (not counting shorts):
S7 = 26 episodes (The More You Moe, The Moe You Know counts as two)
S8 = 27 episodes
S9 = 32 episodes (for a grand total of 284)

If they included shorts in the final number of episodes produced than the episode count would be slightly less for season 9 (something like 27-29 episodes) but you get the gist. It actually tallies up quite nicely, but it does differ from the production order which is where a lot of the confusion stems from. Some wikis have updated to the new standard but others are still going by production order.

Psxphile

Looks like Huntress Wizard will be back in an episode titled "The Wild Hunt":

tumblr_oto79eBaky1t0t09yo1_1280.png
KingOfOoo

Shauni

I wonder if they'll make her Finn's girlfriend by the series end. I hope they do, ma boy needs to end the show with some lovin'.

Psxphile

I wonder if they'll make her Finn's girlfriend by the series end. I hope they do, ma boy needs to end the show with some lovin'.

Curious if Finn will still be carrying some baggage from the aftermath of Three Buckets and whether HW will be key to getting him back in a good mindset.

EDIT: from the iTunes AT volume 11 listing, hints of future episode plots:
Everything's perfectly normal in the Land of Ooo. Finn and Jake are investigating a haunting, BMO and Ice King have become door-to-door salesmen, and Flame Princess is getting hyped up to battle the Son of Rap Bear. Oh, and Ooo just happens to be on the brink of an all-out, catastrophic WAR! Yep, perfectly normal.

Servbot24

Banned
Just caught up on this year's eps. I blame this on the fans who kept demanding "lore". That's not what this show is supposed to be.

That's not to say the episodes were terrible or anything, they just feel very stiff and like trying to force a circular show into a square hole.

"Wrapping up loose ends" and such... the idea that is even something they feel obligated to do just demonstrates how off track it is. Or LSP having "deep lore" now.

Psxphile

a title card appears

tumblr_ouwpq2ZGIL1t0t09yo1_1280.png

The Wild Hunt - title card

designed by Sam Alden

painted by Joy Ang
KingOfOoo

... uh, is that PB and the Banana Guards wearing baseball uniforms?

For those wondering, still no news on when the show will return. But KOO releasing the title card must mean it's sooner rather than later.

EDIT: the AT blog seems to be teasing another episode titled "Another BMO Closing":
KingOfOoo

Psxphile

New Adventure Time Episodes in September

Rejoice, Adventure Time fans, for you’ll soon be able to return to the Land of Ooo!

Cartoon Network just announced an Adventure Time event featuring four brand-spankin'-new episodes being aired back to back to back to back!

All four episodes are set to air on Sunday, September 17.

These are the first new episodes of Adventure Time after the five-day event in July, continuing the ninth and final season’s run before the series’ planned end next year.

“Recently nominated for its seventh Emmy, Adventure Time is returning to Cartoon Network this September with featuring four all-new back-to-back episodes of the beloved series, premiering Sunday, Sept. 17 at 7 p.m. (ET/PT). The event kicks off with “The Wild Hunt,” in which Finn must slay a fierce creature terrorizing the Candy Kingdom.”

Check out the list of episodes and descriptions below!

“The Wild Hunt” – A fierce creature is terrorizing the Candy Kingdom but before Finn can slay the beast, he must first overcome a guilty conscience.
“Always BMO Closing” – BMO and Ice King hit the road as door-to-door salesmen and stumble upon an irresistible opportunity.
“Son of Rap Bear” – When Flame Princess is coaxed into a high stakes battle against the indomitable Son of Rap Bear, Finn must help her search for a new strategy.
“Bonnibel Bubblegum” – A long lost artifact causes Princess Bubblegum to harken back to the creation of the Candy Kingdom.

big ander

Sunday premier?!? The hell kind of schedule is that!

The episode description about the candy kingdom sounds very interesting. Can't wait!
It's burnoff scheduling. They just wanna get rid of the show at the point. Kinda wish they'd just produce the rest and air em in a big marathon event

vypek

Regular Show wound up getting burned off partially during weekends too, right?

Not sure why they don't just put their shows into a block like they used to do.

Psxphile

They're doing that "NEW NEW NEW NEW" thing on Fridays in September. But yeah, dedicated blocks are kind of passé these days.

vypek

They're doing that "NEW NEW NEW NEW" thing on Fridays in September. But yeah, dedicated blocks are kind of passé these days.

Is that related to alien of the week from Ben 10 or something? At this point I'm kind of just waiting for CN stuff to show up on my DVR. Thankfully this thread also lets me know when to keep an eye out because sometimes stuff isn't marked new and my DVR misses it.

Psxphile

Promo artwork for the Sunday AT premiere block:
tumblr_ovmjw7r7e51t0t09yo1_1280.png

ADVENTURE TIME returns on Sunday, September 17th!

Four NEW episodes premiering back-to-back at 7:00/6:00c on Cartoon Network. The road to the finale begins.

——

THE WILD HUNT - 7:00p

written/storyboarded by Polly Guo, Sam Alden, and Erik Fountain

——

ALWAYS BMO CLOSING - 7:15p

written/storyboarded by Kent Osborne & Graham Falk

——

SON OF RAP BEAR - 7:30p

written/storyboarded by Seo Kim & Somvilay Xayaphone

——

BONNIBEL BUBBLEGUM - 7:45p

written/storyboarded by Hanna K Nyström & Aleks Sennwald
KingOfOoo

Alastor3

No OT for season 9??

So the episode 267 to 270 will come out september 17, right?

I watched season 1 and stopped waiting for the show to end... it's been yeeearrrsss now, should I just go in or wait till next year ?

Psxphile

5 more days. A new title card appears in the wild:

tumblr_ov5lmlMkXy1t0t09yo1_1280.png

Son of Rap Bear - title card

designed by Seo Kim

painted by Joy Ang

premieres Sunday, September 17th at 7:30/6:30c on Cartoon Network
KingOfOoo

In other news, the AT crew were awarded another Emmy (Outstanding Short Form Animated Program 2017) for their work on Islands Part 4: Imaginary Resources.

tumblr_inline_ow1jf197y31ryoiqf_540.png

tumblr_inline_ow1mjzceKI1ryoiqf_540.png

Feeling a little conflicted. Islands was a great mini-series and proved that AT still had what it took to stay compelling even after 7 years on the air (premiered in 2010) but I didn't think Imaginary Resources was particularly brilliant, certainly not enough to clutch the Emmy over Steven Universe's "Mr. Greg" which was the one I expected (well, hoped) to win.

Seesaw15

5 more days. A new title card appears in the wild:

KingOfOoo

In other news, the AT crew were awarded another Emmy (Outstanding Short Form Animated Program 2017) for their work on Islands Part 4: Imaginary Resources.

tumblr_inline_ow1jf197y31ryoiqf_540.png

tumblr_inline_ow1mjzceKI1ryoiqf_540.png

Feeling a little conflicted. Islands was a great mini-series and proved that AT still had what it took to stay compelling even after 7 years on the air (premiered in 2010) but I didn't think Imaginary Resources was particularly brilliant, certainly not enough to clutch the Emmy over Steven Universe's "Mr. Greg" which was the one I expected (well, hoped) to win.

This is Adventure Times last hurrah. Steven Universe will have its time.

Psxphile

Preview clip from The Wild Hunt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g950VxiRWJ0

And the Polygon article that goes with it.
Adventure Time returns this Sunday and everyone's favorite human, Finn, will have his work cut out for him as seen in a new clip from the upcoming episode, ”The Wild Hunt."

In the above clip, the Candy Kingdom has come under attack from a less-than-jolly monster. Finn and his canine sidekick, Jake, have gone undercover to help the citizens of the Candy Kingdom stop the monster from terrorizing innocent Banana Guards. Things don't go according to plan, however, when Finn has a moment of moral consciousness.

”The Wild Hunt" is the first of four back-to-back Adventure Time episodes that will air on Cartoon Network this Sunday. The other episodes, ”Always BMO Closing", ”Son of Rap Bear" and ”Bonnibel Bubblegum" will focus on other characters, including the Ice King, Flame Princess and Princess Bubblegum. The synopsis of each episode can be read below.

• ”Always BMO Closing" – BMO and Ice King hit the road as door-to- door salesmen and stumble upon an irresistible opportunity.
  • ”Son of Rap Bear" – When Flame Princess is coaxed into a high stakes battle against the indomitable Son of Rap Bear, Finn must help her search for a new strategy.
  • ”Bonnibel Bubblegum" – A long lost artifact causes Princess Bubblegum to harken back to the creation of the Candy Kingdom.
Adventure Time will return on Sept. 17 at 7 p.m. ET.

Apparently all four episodes will lead into each other, which explains why they're all being shown together.

EDIT: suddenly...

tumblr_ov5m24x7PC1t0t09yo1_1280.png

Bonnivel Bubblegum - title card

designed by Hanna K Nyström

painted by Joy Ang

premieres Sunday, September 17th at 7:45/6:45c on Cartoon Network
KingOfOoo

EDIT: it doesn't stop
tumblr_ow2w8ytInr1qdylsxo1_r2_1280.jpg

AT's final season (kind of) starts this Sunday at 7pm with four back to back episodes.

Quick appreciation: This was the last episode Polly and I worked on together. Polly did amazing work on AT as both a boarder and revisionist; if you liked The Music Hole, or any of the episodes we worked on together (Whispers, The Invitation, etc), or the fact that Mitski was on AT, thank Polly. I learned a ton from being lucky enough to work with her. And then this was the first officially Erik-boarded ep, even though he'd been doing a lot of basically that as the animation director for a long time (he did a huge amount of work for Min + Marty that I would have been lost without). He absolutely killed it with this board too.
Sam Alden

Psxphile

LITTLE BABY FEET!

i wonder if that was a call back to that Finn's auto-tune song from season 1... probably not, but let me dream.

EDIT: oh no I'm thinking of the other song from season 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom