• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventures of Mana (Vita) |OT| Final Fantasy Mystic Quest Mana Adventure

JPS Kai

The controls are a little loose for what I want out of a game with proper controller support and having to stop to do a sword slash instead of his little dash move can be obnoxious.

But I'm glad I'm finally replaying this game after 20-some years.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Had a doh moment. Got stuck after the Gaia cave Didn't think of
charging my flail to extend the range.
Gained a lot of levels though.

Nice OT, bought the game yesterday but haven't played it yet since I've been busy with SO5. Does anyone know if there any missable trophies?

Yes. The Obtain 99 stat trophies. The VIT and MND trophies are not missable. You will get 99 of those stats by level 98 no matter what since all 4 jobs give at least 1 point to both of those per level.

STR and INT ARE missable though. Always choose Knight or Mage when leveling up. Because of the stat distribution if you choose Sage or Monk more than just once each you will NOT be able to achieve 99 STR or INT.

This is because both Warrior and Monk give 0 INT and both Mage and Sage give 0 STR. Monk and Sage give an extraneous extra point to VIT and MND respectively and only 1 point to STR and INT.

By choosing Warrior and Mage 49 times each you will have 100 points put into each stat. By choosing Monk and Sage a single time each you'll have 101 VIT and MND and 99 STR and INT. Any more and you're screwed.

Other than that, just make sure you have all the armor and weapons before entering the final level, and make sure to get the Samurai equipment drops in the last level before the last boss. (Not sure how the save system works here in this remake. In the original I got stuck without being allowed to go back and look for the armor).

Commo

Banned
dX5Ld2Z.png

Tohsaka

Had a doh moment. Got stuck after the Gaia cave Didn't think of
charging my flail to extend the range.
Gained a lot of levels though.

Yes. The Obtain 99 stat trophies. The VIT and MND trophies are not missable. You will get 99 of those stats by level 98 no matter what since all 4 jobs give at least 1 point to both of those per level.

STR and INT ARE missable though. Always choose Knight or Mage when leveling up. Because of the stat distribution if you choose Sage or Monk more than just once each you will NOT be able to achieve 99 STR or INT.

This is because both Warrior and Monk give 0 INT and both Mage and Sage give 0 STR. Monk and Sage give an extraneous extra point to VIT and MND respectively and only 1 point to STR and INT.

By choosing Warrior and Mage 49 times each you will have 100 points put into each stat. By choosing Monk and Sage a single time each you'll have 101 VIT and MND and 99 STR and INT. Any more and you're screwed.

Other than that, just make sure you have all the armor and weapons before entering the final level, and make sure to get the Samurai equipment drops in the last level before the last boss. (Not sure how the save system works here in this remake. In the original I got stuck without being allowed to go back and look for the armor).

Good info, thanks.

Quonny

Well I'm stuck in a place that requires a key to both advance and leave. I don't have a key.

I might be done.

Yep. None of the enemies drop a key and there are no other paths. Sigh. This issue apparently is in the original as well. Ten hours down the drain. Not gonna replay it.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Well I'm stuck in a place that requires a key to both advance and leave. I don't have a key.

I might be done.

Yep. None of the enemies drop a key and there are no other paths. Sigh. This issue apparently is in the original as well. Ten hours down the drain. Not gonna replay it.

Pretty sure all dungeon enemies can drop keys. Even if they are frustratingly rare. Some should drop eventually.

What's the point of no return for collectibles?
Beating the boss in the Dime Tower in the crystal desert around Ish. You should probably take care of everything before entering it.

There are items that you can only get after that point though, so you can't get the trophies there. Just make sure you picked up everything else.

CazTGG

Nope. Saved because I got to that door and quit for the night.

These kinds of things need to be caught in a remake.

This game really does feel like a time capsule that spray painted a new coat over a game whose faults lied more with the hardware than bad design because said design in Adventures of Mana are far less easy to forgive due to the more powerful hardware the Vita (and iOS if you want to debate semantics) boasts, if that makes any sense. It feels outdated and clunky (having to go into the menus every five seconds is atrocious and inexcusable given how few spells one has along with limited item space, to say nothing of weapons and their unique functions) rather than retro in a good way.

The soundtrack's wonderful (the final boss' theme is excellent in both its original and new form), but it's a shame that it's the only area where the game is an improvement aside from enemies displaying more personality than before.

SkyOdin

Bought. Can't wait to get to it.

I was wondering though, why do people seem to hate Sword of Mana on the GBA so much? From what I remember, it was a fun game.

Sword of Mana took a lot of liberties with the original game, and most of those changes were for the worse. It padded out the game with sidequests that hurt the game's pacing, it made a bunch of scenario changes, it cut out a few things that were in the original, and it heavily changed the tone of the story. Most of the new gameplay mechanics only added grind, rather than expanding the scope of the gameplay. On the contrary, the Zelda-like puzzles and dungeon exploration were toned down dramatically. Instead, you get mechanics where you needed to go to a place at a specific hour of a specific in-game day of the week to get a chance to get a rare drop. The original game didn't have anything that silly.

The original game had a nice quick pace, and a simple story with just enough heart and dark elements to be memorable. Sword of Mana simply did a terrible job of maintaining that charm when it rewrote the plot and rebuilt the gameplay.

SkyOdin

I might be done.

Skeletons drop keys, and every dungeon in the original had a room where you can farm them. I had to farm a few in the final dungeon in the GB version, so if this is a faithful remake, there should be a way for you to get keys somehow.

aadiboy

There should be a Mana collection. Adventure, Sword, Secret, SD3, and Legend of Mana all in one. It kind of sucks that the series just died. I guess Kingdom Hearts kind of took priority as SE's main action rpg series.

EricB

Bought. Again. Glad to have the game on iOS and (especially) Vita, but looking at the Gameboy screen reminds me of how much worse the new style looks. Even the monochrome Gameboy version looks significantly more charming—at least to my eyes. It would be a great shame if SE follows through on their threat to redo Seiken Densetsu 3 in this style. Ruining that game's art would be criminal.

Darkone

Is this game challenging? (I hope it is).
are there difficult setting to choose from?

thinking of buying it...

p.s: Hope they will do a Secret of Mana remaster or something for the Vita as well.

redcrayon

Really enjoying Adventures of Mana. About two-thirds of the way through now, as far as I remember.

What I had forgotten about is how dark it is
Major Spoilers
Bogarde ends up with crippled legs
Your chocobo also ends up with ruined legs, that you then somewhat crudely call 'chocobot' after it gets metal replacement limbs.
Amanda, Will, the robot: all dead.

It's nice that the chocobo really feels like your steed though, with it marked on the map where it is.

A few tips for new players-
The first environmental shortcut you'll find is using the axe to chop trees, but if you don't check its description you wouldn't know.
Sell off any partially used key rings and mattocks whenever you get to a shop. Take two full ones of each into each dungeon.
The heroine's heal spell is a regen over time.
Some of the puzzles need you to use the ice spell to make snowmen, to put on switches. If the monsters in the room can't be turned into enough of them, it's usually quicker to head for the stairs and try again.
Once you have the ball and chain, you don't need mattocks any more.
Some enemies are immune to some weapon types. Swords affect most enemies so make a good 'default' weapon.
Some weapons do greater damage to some enemy types- use axes to hit beasts.
Read the description of each weapon and equipment piece- if you are in a fire dungeon, you want fire armour (resist heat) and an ice shield (resist fire damage).
if you are short on supplies and want to minimise using keys and mattocks, explore everywhere you can reach without using them first as some dungeons have multiple paths leading to the same place, although there are a few hidden optional weapons too.
Skeletons drop key rings.
Stuck in a dead end? Break every rock (staircases are usually in corners), kill all enemies, test every wall. If there's more than two pressure pads, they might need to be pressed in a specific order, or have not all of them pressed.

Although the ice puzzles and locked doors re-locking themselves are annoying, the bit I find a little confusing is the overworld minimap. Each square is taken up with a feature that's there even if you can't reach it, and the map is packed with huge walls dividing it up into areas. I've ended up relying on memory regarding how to reach a certain place, as even the chocobo doesn't make it that much easier to get around some areas.

Faustek

Enjoying the game, again, but man Square Enix really needs to learn how to make good "HD backdrops" of their remasters. Looks like they just tied to make a square puzzle and the pieces are just a few mm off.

Btw do anyone know if SE emea was going to drop an official ost?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I have played through the original FFA so many times, it's arguably the best game in the whole entire Mana series for me, and the best B/W Game Boy game. I have so much nostalgia for the music and I always love how you're always falling down off stuff and finding yourself alone in new areas. Also was the game that introduced me to both the Chocobo and Moogle. Just wish the remake had a more detailed graphic style, it looks pretty 'cheap' for lack of a better term (especially considering how good the other Mana games are with their sprite art). Very excited that the remake got a US Vita release (and I'm eagerly awaiting Romancing SaGa 2).

Dunno if I should just wait for the Limited Run edition if that's a possibility or just jump in. Probably will just jump in as soon as I'm done with Danganronpa.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Are there any good spots to grind exp? I want to max out my character before the end of the game.

The little elephant-like creatures in the final area of the game (the 'garden' like area) gave a lot in the original GB version, I'd imagine it would be the same in this one.

JPS Kai

The little elephant-like creatures in the final area of the game (the 'garden' like area) gave a lot in the original GB version, I'd imagine it would be the same in this one.

Good to know. I screwed up with stat allocation, so I'm going to make a separate save to grind INT then swap back over to finish STR.

krossj

The visuals aren't doing much for me but i'm really enjoying the gameplay. Music is great. I still wish more games like this and the 2D zeldas were made.

I always wanted to play the GB version but just never got the chance so looking forward to more just wish they had another visual option which harkened back to the original and perhaps a more refined UI for the vita.

I don't want to do a full trophy guide but decided to to a quick reference for the items/weapons/armor trophies. If I should spoiler it let me know but I think it should be fine

Items (some items drop from multiple enemies)

Candy - Given to you at the start of the game
Potion/Hi-Potion/Ether/Hi-Ether - can be bought at various shops
Elixir - On the world map at the rightmost column, third square from the top, there is a tiny island you can reach with chocobot. Kill all the seahorse looking enemies and a chest will appear
Antidote/Eyedrops/Gold Needle/Mole Hair - Can be bought at various stores
Unicorn Horn - Drop from the elephants after getting Excalibur

Crystal - Drop from the owls in Kett's Manor
Adamant Brew - Drop from the armored four-legged enemies in the crystal desert
Ea's Tears - Drop from the ghosts with the clown faces in the airship
Bacchus Wine - Drop from the crab enemies on the coast near Wendel
Athena's Kiss - Drop from the Swamp Men/brown mud enemies in the swamp near the beginning. Kill them with the Fire spell or come back with the Mythril Sword. This drop seems to be really rare.

Mattock/Key - Yeah you need those anyway

Gold Dust - Dropped by the pig soldiers near Wendel
Ruby Baubles - Dropped by the Basilisks (green jumping enemies) in the desert near Jadd
Diamond Dice - Dropped by the weird bird feet with hair on the Ammonite Coast
Saurus Fang - Dropped by the big brown dinosaurs in the desert near Jadd

Magic Items
Shop on the coast west of Jadd sells Baby Monkey and Lamby's Pillow
Shop on the southwest of the crystal desert sells Fireball, Firerock, Thunder arrow, Thunderbolt and Ice Rocket
Ice Missiles are dropped by the walrus enemies near the Cara Mountain Range. I'm sure it's sold somewhere but don't know where right now.

These should be good enough for weapons and armor. Usually exploring the dungeons is enough to find them except for Samurai/Aegis as endgame drops.
Weapons
Armor

For us Europeans, might be good to add that the game was released under the title Mystic Quest. It's in the OT title but not in the description. I almost ignored the game when the posts popped up on the 28th until I saw some images and though "This looks familiar... Oh, its Mystic Quest!!"

lETZHWq.jpg

Cornbread78

For us Europeans, might be good to add that the game was released under the title Mystic Quest. It's in the OT title but not in the description. I almost ignored the game when the posts popped up on the 28th until I saw some images and though "This looks familiar... Oh, its Mystic Quest!!"

Nice, good deal. I resized and added to the OP, lol.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It feels so weird and nostalgic to play an English mana game... On consoles (playing this on Vita and PSTV).

I kind of wish they had gone with high res sprites for this. It just kind of has a cheap(?) Feel to it. Something about the Game Feel just seems off. Then again, when I consider what the mobile version of FF:VI looks like, maybe that wouldn't have been all that great.

Would some kind individual please tell me what language text options there are in the Western release of the game? Was hoping to play it in Japanese, but have a PAL account tied to my Vita. Thanks!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Would some kind individual please tell me what language text options there are in the Western release of the game? Was hoping to play it in Japanese, but have a PAL account tied to my Vita. Thanks!

You can play the game in Japanese if you change your Vita's system language to Japanese (which is possible with a PAL Vita on a PAL account). I just tested it, you even get the "Seiken Densetsu" logo.

Kilau

Gold Member
Omg I didn't realize that's what this game was! Is the performance okay? As long as it's not a mess I'm buying it right now.

Powwa

Having to grind for keyrings when you are stuck in a dungeon is really annoying. Why is the drop rate so low for this?

I kind of wish they had gone with high res sprites for this. It just kind of has a cheap(?) Feel to it. Something about the Game Feel just seems off. Then again, when I consider what the mobile version of FF:VI looks like, maybe that wouldn't have been all that great.

The producer for this remake (who also did Rise of Mana) desperately wants to do Seiken Densetsu 5 for console. Choosing 3D for this remake is probably a better choice with that in mind (to convince SE higherups that SD5 would be a viable project).

lETZHWq.jpg

This has to have won some kind of award for worst box art.

Decided to grind to lv 99 for trophies. Took 3-4 hours on the elephants. But yay, platinum!

Still so damn happy that we got this game for Vita. If they ever decide to port it to PS4 I'll buy it again

JCX

I'll get this on a sale. The Year of JRPGs has me holding off on games that would normally be an insta-buy.

Top Bottom