• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advice On Gift Buying For A Gamer

Mista

Banned
Hi guys, thanks for making this noob thread for us to use! I wanted to ask some gamers for an opinion, I'm present shopping for my SO and I can't decide what to get him. He recently bought a Play Station 4 and I was thinking about getting him a game for that console for Christmas, but there are so many titles I'm not sure which to order, and I want to make sure to get something he's going to enjoy.
He already has Persona 5 and Bloodborne, and he really likes Dark Souls and the Elder Scrolls series, as well as Terarria and Monster Hunter: World. I was hoping someone with similar taste could make a few recommendations for me? He really likes something with a challenge.

Thank you guys!!!
<3 Babs <3

Posted on behalf of BattleBabs BattleBabs

LMJ

If hes into souls-like games you might try the indie title Salt and Sanctuary, there's also Dead Cells which is nicely challenging, but more of a metroidvania type

BattleBabs

Neo Member
If hes into souls-like games you might try the indie title Salt and Sanctuary, there's also Dead Cells which is nicely challenging, but more of a metroidvania type

I think he played that Dead Cells one on Steam, this Salt and Sanctuary one looks interesting, kinda like Darkest Dungeons, thanks for the recommendations!! :3

xrnzaaas

Dead Cells is a good pick and there's also a retail version of the game.

BattleBabs

Neo Member
Yeah and since he loves Dark Souls and Bloodborne, he’ll also fall inlove with this one

He loves that kind of challenging (somewhat scary, imo) games (I thought Dark Souls was really scary lol). Thank you for making this thread for me! I already have some good recommendations! I'll get him this Sekiro one for Christmas and save the others for his birthday and whatnot (smart girlfriend plans ahead! gamers can be sort of hard to shop for....... lol) <333333

BattleBabs

Neo Member
Give them money to buy a game.

Or

Buy him gamepass and tell him to mix that shit up.

But seriously, the monies or a gift card for a game shop

Money is always a good gift but he's the type that will spend it on something other than fun stuff, like bills or work clothes, sometimes he's just a little too responsible, I wanna make sure he gets to have something fun

Mista

Banned
He loves that kind of challenging (somewhat scary, imo) games (I thought Dark Souls was really scary lol). Thank you for making this thread for me! I already have some good recommendations! I'll get him this Sekiro one for Christmas and save the others for his birthday and whatnot (smart girlfriend plans ahead! gamers can be sort of hard to shop for....... lol) <333333
Good decision. Don’t mention, I’m glad I could help. I hope you and your man have a great Christmas :)

Yeah and since he loves Dark Souls and Bloodborne, he’ll also fall inlove with this one

Not necessarily, many SoulsBourne fans including myself think Sekiro's battle mechanics are too much of a departure from the other Souls games.

Not everyone likes to be forced to play like a Parry King.

But other than that yeah, it's a safe bet.

Shifty

Sekiro is the true galaxy brain answer here. Big masterpiece.

(And also less derivative than 90% of the stuff that gets categorised as souls-like these days!)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Sekiro + Dead Cells.

Dead Cells is a fun 2d sidescroller and is super addictive.

Sekiro will fuck his shit up real good and he'll love every second of it.

GymWolf

noita for that terraria scratch, really challenging, samey artstyle.
rain world is a good choice too if she like hard difficulty.
surge 2 for the bloodborne\dark souls lust, she is not gonna find another game with a more intricate level design thant surge 2 in the soulsborne panorama, just check first if she like scifi industrial art design.

or sekiro like many people already said.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
If you truly love him. Then get him this gift. It's pricey but it will show you SO you love him and cherish him. This is the gift that will make him say "Wow, she really does love me."

JvNRb2s.png

DrJohnGalt

Banned
My advice is getting a gift card and let him get what he wants.

But I know that's not nearly as fun as having something physical to open, right?

If he already has another console, go for PS4 exclusives like Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War.

Witcher 3 is always good. Kingdom Come Deliverance is fun but it's def not for everyone.

A lot of good indies have been mentioned, look into those.

BattleBabs BattleBabs Very cool of you to come here for educated opinions, and to have researched some of his favorite games first. That doesn't happen very often. Anyhow, if you don't happen to play games yourself (or you're just starting to get into them), and your boyfriend does, you might enjoy this channel and their reviews:

I'd definitely go with Sekiro as well, though. It's by the same developers as Blood Borne and Dark Souls.

Last edited:

BattleBabs

Neo Member
BattleBabs BattleBabs Very cool of you to come here for educated opinions, and to have researched some of his favorite games first. That doesn't happen very often. Anyhow, if you don't happen to play games yourself (or you're just starting to get into them), and you boyfriend does, you might enjoy this channel and their reviews:

I'd definitely go with Sekiro as well, though. It's by the same developers as Blood Borne and Dark Souls.

I do like games myself, but I'm still fairly new to gaming, I didn't have access to that kind of thing growing up (my parents believed in the whole 'video games melt your brain' thing). I do have a somewhat different taste than him, but I did play Dark Souls 3 with him (I can't play it alone its too scary!). This channel looks super cool, thank you!!!! <333

BattleBabs

Neo Member

But I know that's not nearly as fun as having something physical to open, right?

If he already has another console, go for PS4 exclusives like Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War.

Witcher 3 is always good. Kingdom Come Deliverance is fun but it's def not for everyone.

Ohh that Witcher game looks cool, too!! And yeah gift cards are more practical but its not as fun, idk why?

BattleBabs

Neo Member

BattleBabs

Neo Member
If you truly love him. Then get him this gift. It's pricey but it will show you SO you love him and cherish him. This is the gift that will make him say "Wow, she really does love me."

JvNRb2s.png

That one is just a little bit out of my price range lol

BattleBabs

Neo Member
noita for that terraria scratch, really challenging, samey artstyle.
rain world is a good choice too if she like hard difficulty.
surge 2 for the bloodborne\dark souls lust, she is not gonna find another game with a more intricate level design thant surge 2 in the soulsborne panorama, just check first if she like scifi industrial art design.

or sekiro like many people already said.

Ohh these all look so cool, too! I'm going to start a list from this and just pick things from it whenever a gift giving holiday/birthday comes around! This is amazing!

BattleBabs

Neo Member
Buy him a gym membership and a book about nutrition.

He actually goes to the gym and eats better than I do! He started calorie counting last year and lost 20 pounds in like three months, I had been exercising and calorie counting like crazy and I've only lost 15, still kind of mad about it lol

BattleBabs

Neo Member

These all look super cool, too! Witcher looks really neat, I think he's mentioned that series before <333

Katsura

These all look super cool, too! Witcher looks really neat, I think he's mentioned that series before <333
If he is into open world RPGs, The Witcher 3 is the best in the genre. The world and quests are amazing. It's also a huge game. If you get it with both DLCs there is easily 80+ hours of content

Top Bottom