• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Affleck's The Batman Set for 2018, Filming Starting Spring 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link.

Ben Affleck's The Batman is on schedule to debut in 2018, according to outgoing Warner Bros. top executive Greg Silverman. Silverman, the studio's President of Creative Development and Worldwide Production, disclosed this news in an 'exit interview' with Deadline as an example of movies he's set up for the studio's long-term future.

“Then in 2018, there is a second Fantastic Beasts film, and Ready Player One feels like an ambitious movie by the world’s best filmmaker, Steven Spielberg, that will set the world on fire. There is Aquaman with James Wan, and Scooby Doo will be a huge launch and then there is Lego Ninjago. And then there is Ben Affleck’s Batman. I believe the place I love is set to succeed in the long term here, and I can be a bit selfish and think, ‘How do I want to live my own life?’ Tech, China and investing are real passions for me that have emerged over the past few years. But if I didn’t know everything would be OK for everybody here, it would have been a lot harder to start my own thing.”

Ben Affleck is writing, directing, producing, and starring in the Batman film - which he's said is tentatively titled The Batman - and is set to begin filming in spring 2017.

Earler this month there was an unconfirmed report that 2019's planned Justice League sequel was being delayed in order for the studio to focus on The Batman, but a 2018 release date would put it even earlier. DC Films has several non-specific release dates reserved in 2019 and 2020, but none in 2018 to date.

Interestingly though, another 2018 DC film - The Flash - was not mentioned by Silverman. That film is scheduled for release March 19, 2018, however with the departure of its second director there has been speculation it could be delayed. It's possible that Affleck's The Batman could take over that spot - which would concidentally be the same week of the year Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was released in 2016.

Will be the first DC movie with Geoff Johns onboard from the start IIRC.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Hoping for a loose adaptation of Arkham Asyulm: A Serious House on a Serious Earth Adaptation. Batman meets Die Hard. Batman trapped in an asylum for a night, has to confront his greatest enemies, communicates sporadically with Gordon who's monitoring the situation with the GCPD from outside.

kswiston

Batman will come out the third weekend of July, 2018. Battle Angel Atila will have to move and bomb on some other date. I would bet money on this.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I can't believe WB is turning Ready Player One into a movie. Yikes.

I do really hope The Batman is good, though.

Sephzilla

Assuming this movie doesn't get cancelled. I still think there's a very real possibility that if Wonder Woman flops, WB will send Justice League out to die and then pull the plug on the Snyderverse.

kswiston

Assuming this movie doesn't get cancelled. I still think there's a very real possibility that if Wonder Woman flops, WB will send Justice League out to die and then pull the plug on the Snyderverse.

Why would they do that after 1 flop? The first 3 DCEU films have made close to $2.3B at the box office alone

Suicide Squad just made them so much fucking money. You are dellusional if you think anything is getting cancelled.

Blader

So I guess Batman will take Aquaman's vacated July spot, and The Flash will move back a year entirely, then.

Of all the things they could possibly cancel, the last thing would be a Batman movie.

I'm all in for this movie. Personally, I liked Suicide Squad and BvS extented cut, so I haven't lose faith in DCEU yet. Especially since Johns will be in charge after Aquaman (or Flash).

I still have high hopes for WW. I like the setting of WWI and besides I still can't believe how many people saw Suicide Squad and that was garbage.

They might not give Aquaman or Cyborg their own movie, but there is no chance they kill a standalone Batman. Even if the movie is a trainwreck the marketing will get people into the theater.

SpaceWolf

Banned

This is really silly

1) Warner Brothers isn't going to send out Justice League (a movie that has cost the studio most likely upwards of 200 million dollars) "to die", just because a spin-off featuring one character from the team happened to have disappointed at the box-office.

2) The new Batman movie will most likely have wrapped filming by the time Justice League even comes out.

3) Suicide Squad made them a lot of money and was hugely successful. It is getting a sequel, and we're most likely that Harley Quinn spin-off.

The SnyderVerse isn't going anywhere.

shira

I really can't wait for the sequel, "It's the Bat, Man!"

hqdefault.jpg

"Nice quote"

Sephzilla

WW isn't flopping in a world where Thor 2 exists.

We also live in a world where a movie starring Deadpool made more money in the US than a movie starring Batman and Superman. The Cowboys are winning again. And Donald Trump is going to be President.

This world is fucked up.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Man, the hate people have for this universe is really making them delusional.

icespide

Banned
i feel like the audience is humoring them until justice league. if justice league is a turd then movie goers will no longer flock to these movies

kswiston

We also live in a world where a movie starring Deadpool made more money in the US than a movie starring Batman and Superman. The Cowboys are winning again. And Donald Trump is going to be President.

This world is fucked up.

The 2018 line up is going to be locked in by the time that Wonder Woman debuts. Given Suicide Squad's resounding success despite terrible reviews, you'll be getting Snyderverse films until at least 2019, even if everything starts disappointing from this point on. Studios can't just instantly change their plans on the fly.

Sephzilla

Man, the hate people have for this universe is really making them delusional.

It's not really hate more so just acknowledging that the Snyderverse movies have gotten mostly negative reviews and both Man of Steel and Batman/Superman underperformed a bit at the box office. If that trend continues audiences are going to turn on them at some point

Hasn't seemed to stop Transformers at all.

Although to be fair, Blader makes a fairly solid point here

I'm trying to think of the Afleck directed movies... have any of them had any proper action/fight scenes?

I know there's been tension... but anything like what Batman will require?

Only DC movie I really have any expectations for. Well, okay, I have fleeting hope for the Wonder Woman movie, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bolivar687

Banned
I hope it's still Frank Miller's Batman. The Real Fans have been waiting a long time for movies like these, it would hurt if they pulled the plug just after we finally started getting them!

suaveric

I don't know why this article says there isn't a date for Batman in 2018, there clearly is. It's the July date that Aquaman just moved from.

Sephzilla

I hope it's still Frank Miller's Batman. The Real Fans have been waiting a long time for movies like these, it would hurt if they pulled the plug just after we finally started getting them!

If they can adapt Frank Miller Batman and filter out the giant piles of shit that accompany Frank Miller Batman, I'd be cool with this.

hidys

Hoping for a loose adaptation of Arkham Asyulm: A Serious House on a Serious Earth Adaptation. Batman meets Die Hard. Batman trapped in an asylum for a night, has to confront his greatest enemies, communicates sporadically with Gordon who's monitoring the situation with the GCPD from outside.

It is probably going to be something like this or a live action take on Under the Hood.

Lebron

They already have, haven't they? He's not calling the shot anymore. Geoff Johns is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom