• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Affleck's The Batman Set for 2018, Filming Starting Spring 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

It's a superhero film mixing fantasy and war with a strong female character and colourful visuals.

For a base comparison point

Captain_America_The_First_Avenger_poster.jpg

Only made $370.6 million

El Topo

Assuming this movie doesn't get cancelled. I still think there's a very real possibility that if Wonder Woman flops, WB will send Justice League out to die and then pull the plug on the Snyderverse.

They are not going to pull the plug if Wonder Woman flops. They'll "learn" that people don't want female superheroes, that's the only lesson they'll "learn".
That's the lesson the industry took from Supergirl, Catwoman and Elektra after all.

I don't see WW flopping. People liked her.

That movie has 'disappointing box office' written all over it (for me).

BadAss2961

Please. Even Ant-Man only made 520m. A solid, safe movie with an unnamed hero (and barely connected to MCU) is not going to magically gross 700m.
Avengers just about doubled every Marvel movie's gross going forward.

Anyway, Affleck's got a great base to work with as Snyder drew up the best Batman put on screen. This should be good.

kswiston

Since the Avengers released, the only Marvel/DC Superhero film that failed to hit $400M worldwide was Fantastic 4. The only other Marvel/DC superhero film that failed to hit $500M worldwide was The Wolverine. This is across Disney, WB, Fox, and Sony.

Prior to the Avengers, Thor made just under $450M, and was the biggest 8th Marvel/DC superhero film of all time Worldwide after The Dark Knight, the 3 Raimi Spider-man films, Iron Man 1 and 2, and X-Men 3 (by $10M).

Since May 2012, there have been 18 superhero films that have topped Thor's worldwide gross.

Comparing pre-Avengers films to post-Avengers films is useless in the Superhero genre.

Cool I really like the more comic booky direction that this version of batman is going in. I cant wait to see what affleck does especially if deathstroke is involved

Good to hear. I hope they only focus on one villian. Never liked the idea of multi villains in comic movies. I despised Leto's Joker in Suicide squad and would hate to see it bring this down. Deathstroke for me is a better challenge for the Bat.

I'd wager the majority of people who go see these comic book movies couldn't tell you which is DC or Marvel. The thing that stops the superhero movie train is people getting bored of superheroes.

I hope the whole movie has Batman fight scenes like the at the end of BvS.

He's gonna beat the living shit out of Joker. They're going to have to give him some really strong physical enemies otherwise he'll just cave their faces in. I'm guessing Killer Croc will not be one of the enemies, and it's probably too soon to use Bane again, so who does that leave?

Assuming this movie doesn't get cancelled. I still think there's a very real possibility that if Wonder Woman flops, WB will send Justice League out to die and then pull the plug on the Snyderverse.

At worst they would remove Snyder from directing/overseeing, but there's no way at all they'll cancel the whole universe. There's too many people involved they would have to pay off.

He's gonna beat the living shit out of Joker. They're going to have to give him some really strong physical enemies otherwise he'll just cave their faces in. I'm guessing Killer Croc will not be one of the enemies, and it's probably too soon to use Bane again, so who does that leave?

At worst they would remove Snyder from directing/overseeing, but there's no way at all they'll cancel the whole universe. There's too many people involved they would have to pay off.

They've already signed up Deathstroke for it so that fight will probably be great.

So can someone tell me if DC is still doing their original movie slate? Is there still gonna be a standalone Aquaman and Flash movie?

So can someone tell me if DC is still doing their original movie slate? Is there still gonna be a standalone Aquaman and Flash movie?

Yes, AFAWK only Cyborg might've gotten scrapped and his character rolled into the Flash movie but they're back to finding a director for that one again so...

Going off memory the current known cast is:

Affleck as Batman
Simmons as Gordon
Irons as Alfred
Joe M as Deathstroke

Leto, Robbie, and others are only rumored I think.

On story, Affleck said he wants a mystery, detective story, citing Maltese Falcon.

edit: Titus Welliver is in every one of Affleck's movies, but I don't know the status of his MCU character.

Good to hear. I hope they only focus on one villian. Never liked the idea of multi villains in comic movies. I despised Leto's Joker in Suicide squad and would hate to see it bring this down. Deathstroke for me is a better challenge for the Bat.
Amen to that. Leto Joker needs to retire. Easily the worst portrayal of Joker on screen. He just channeled Jim Carrey from Ace Ventura and made it seem "edgy".

Kibbles

BvS and SS were box office successes.

Thus far. Since it's Deathstroke there's probably another villain behind him at the very least like Hugo Strange for example.

That would be cool, as I think having a 'mastermind' pulling the strings as well as Deathstroke as a more physical enemy would be a good mix. Hugo Strange would also be a good choice as he's not been in a Batman movie before.

Kibbles

Ben can fix Leto Joker. Jared's the best actor to play the part. Ayer just had a fucked up version of it and no direction.

Alienous

Deathstroke will probably be hired from Luthor. At least that's what it looked like on the story board.

Yeah, I thought that'd make sense if they wanted to make an Arkham Asylum based movie. A mastermind like Lex Luthor gets locked in there and manages to take over.

jelly

Hopefully batfleck is good enough to have the "I'm the god damn batman" line :p

Affleck's build looks imposing as Batman but I can't get past his face or voice, former looks weird, he isn't menacing at all and his voice is terrible, Bale was so bad at times but actually okay sometimes. Hope Affleck improves a lot in his delivery and look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom