• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Affleck's The Batman Set for 2018, Filming Starting Spring 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

Affleck's build looks imposing as Batman but I can't get past his face or voice, former looks weird, he isn't menacing at all and his voice is terrible, Bale was so bad at times but actually okay sometimes. Hope Affleck improves a lot in his delivery and look.

Affleck's Batman just looks so doughy.

a57153cce552928b47a7f6cc503cfdee39902e80efc96effec076e55668140a9.jpg

Let me see this Batman in a flashback one time, Affleck.

guek

Banned
Something I appreciate about Marvel's costumes is the absence of muscle suits. Not that muscle suits are all bad, they make things look more comic accurate to boot, but there's an inherent silliness to them.

Like, Spider-man in the Raimi films looks jacked in spandex and one hand, it looks kinda cool, but on the other, it still looks pretty fake.

Something I appreciate about Marvel's costumes is the absence of muscle suits. Not that muscle suits are all bad, they make things look more comic accurate to boot, but there's an inherent silliness to them.

Like, Spider-man in the Raimi films looks jacked in spandex and one hand, it looks kinda cool, but on the other, it still looks pretty fake.
I like it on Batman. The BvS suit was a bit much but it also really increased the intimidation factor.

If they make a 2 hour version of the Affleck-only parts of BvS, I'm in. But if WB were that smart the DCU wouldn't be in the state it's in.

Pretty hyped for ready player one, Batman and Scooby-Doo lmao

WB gonna have a dope year for me in 2018.

Where da fuck is the next George Miller movie tho. That's what I need to hear about

guek

Banned
I like it on Batman. The BvS suit was a bit much but it also really increased the intimidation factor.
Yeah, I don't mind it so much on Batman, though that might be because we've been conditioned to like it since the Burton films. Affleck going back to it is a nice change of pace from the tacticool look of the Nolan movies.

Pretty hyped for ready player one, Batman and Scooby-Doo lmao

WB gonna have a dope year for me in 2018.

Where da fuck is the next George Miller movie tho. That's what I need to hear about
When was the last we heard about The Wasteland or whatever the next Hardy!Max movie was called?

I didn't like Suicide Squad either but how can anybody think it flopped? Poor critical reception? Sure. But it made a shit ton of money.

Falchion

Hoping for a loose adaptation of Arkham Asyulm: A Serious House on a Serious Earth Adaptation. Batman meets Die Hard. Batman trapped in an asylum for a night, has to confront his greatest enemies, communicates sporadically with Gordon who's monitoring the situation with the GCPD from outside.

Sounds like the perfect setup.

Given how much importance they are placing on Batman being jaded as shit, I could see a Red Hood adaptation with Jason.

I just want Tim and Dick to be in it. I don't care how much they are in it, they just need to be in it.

lol i heard pretty bad things about it for sure. but man, spielberg/sci-fi/that cast. we'll see.

The fact that they can't just slam as much 80's pop culture into it as in the book because of licensing can only make it better.

Its gonna take a monumental feat to fuck up Batman. It'll be good to watch either way. They still have a Flash movie they could reset the whole movie universe, pick and choose to keep the "good" stuff.

I wonder if Jared Leto's Joker is fixable.

Honestly, I know this won't happen but it's the only way it'll work.

You either write Leto out completely and recast him as someone else that looks reasonably similar, or you completely alter his character, because he's an "avatar of chaos' and you have that built in excuse for him to be different depending on what you want from it.

That said he's probably just not gonna be in the movie if they can't do those things.

Adam Blue

Given how much importance they are placing on Batman being jaded as shit, I could see a Red Hood adaptation with Jason.

I know everyone hates on BvS, but the film made a point to show Wayne grow from his jaded-ness. Most likely future portrayals of Batfleck are going to be a bit more positive and hopeful. And most likely won't be killing if he doesn't have to.

Assuming this movie doesn't get cancelled. I still think there's a very real possibility that if Wonder Woman flops, WB will send Justice League out to die and then pull the plug on the Snyderverse.

Won't happen. They may course correct like they have with Justice League. They may turn to other directors. But the universe? This is it.

So SS wasn't a flop?

It wasn't great, but it made damn good money.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Affleck's Batman just looks so doughy.

Yeah, I know I've always been part of the minority when I've said this, but I never really liked Ben Affleck's Batman outfit. The amount of padding on it is just absolutely comical.

NEaT0xzDtFPOed_2_b.jpg

I mean, congratulations...I guess, Warner Brothers. Somehow you managed to make Batman look obese.

I know everyone hates on BvS, but the film made a point to show Wayne grow from his jaded-ness. Most likely future portrayals of Batfleck are going to be a bit more positive and hopeful. And most likely won't be killing if he doesn't have to.

Another thing Affleck hinted at is the film being in part influenced by a post-JL normal. On top of becoming hopeful again in BvS, my guess is Batman goes public in JL and the solo film plays with that idea. Batman is still sort of a myth for the general populace going into JL.

Yeah, I know I've always been part of the minority when I've said this, but I never really liked Ben Affleck's Batman outfit. The amount of padding on it is just absolutely comical.

NEaT0xzDtFPOed_2_b.jpg

I mean, congratulations...I guess, Warner Brothers. Somehow you managed to make Batman look obese.

I'm hopeful his suit for his solo movies is better and that's just Snyder not having a good eye for costume direction (I mean look at Supes).

I don't think his body is illsuited to be Batman.

Dierce

Honestly, I know this won't happen but it's the only way it'll work.

You either write Leto out completely and recast him as someone else that looks reasonably similar, or you completely alter his character, because he's an "avatar of chaos' and you have that built in excuse for him to be different depending on what you want from it.

That said he's probably just not gonna be in the movie if they can't do those things.

They could go with the new 52 "Death in the Family" route with the Joker and cast a completely different actor. You wouldn't even notice it since his face will be cut off and also no more face tattoos.

Litan

NEaT0xzDtFPOed_2_b.jpg

Well, people were calling him Fatfleck around the time BvS released, so you're not alone.

We're getting Batman and Black Panther in the same year. This is truly the golden age.

Alienous

NEaT0xzDtFPOed_2_b.jpg

I will give them credit though, they pulled off a Frank Miller 'TDKR'-like physique and that's probably what Snyder referenced visually. And they seemed to have toned the suit up for Justice League.

But I'd like to see something a bit more lithe.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I didn't like Suicide Squad either but how can anybody think it flopped? Poor critical reception? Sure. But it made a shit ton of money.
Makes me wonder if WB ever do a sequel. I mean it made money but the word of mouth surrounding it was pretty fucking bad. The Gotham City Sirens movie feels more as a way out for them. A way to capitalize on the work done without having to continue with a tainted brand.

Hoping for a loose adaptation of Arkham Asyulm: A Serious House on a Serious Earth Adaptation. Batman meets Die Hard. Batman trapped in an asylum for a night, has to confront his greatest enemies, communicates sporadically with Gordon who's monitoring the situation with the GCPD from outside.

ASOASE is very different from Arkham Assylum the game, despite a similar premise (i.e. inmates running the asylum, Batman is on the inside without support). The game would make for a better adaptation to a blockbuster film because the graphic novel is very navel gazey and not a lot of action happens. Drop the titan formula crap obviously but just Batman locked inside the prison would be great for sure.

ASOASE is very different from Arkham Assylum the game, despite a similar premise (i.e. inmates running the asylum, Batman is on the inside without support). The game would make for a better adaptation to a blockbuster film because the graphic novel is very navel gazey and not a lot of action happens. Drop the titan formula crap obviously but just Batman locked inside the prison would be great for sure.

Yeah the novel is peak Morrison stupidity and self absorbed insanity.

The game makes a far more cogent narrative out of it.

Makes me wonder if WB ever do a sequel. I mean it made money but the word of mouth surrounding it was pretty fucking bad. The Gotham City Sirens movie feels more as a way out for them. A way to capitalize on the work done without having to continue with a tainted brand.

I bet most of the companies in Hollywood wish they could have their own brands as "tainted" as Suicide Squad. One of the most popular and profitable movies of the year

Shaanyboi

Banned
I bet most of the companies in Hollywood wish they could have their own brands as "tainted" as Suicide Squad. One of the most popular and profitable movies of the year

So you think if they announced Suicide Squad 2 tomorrow with the same team, there would be a level of enthusiasm that would support that? Hell, look at the Gotham City Sirens announcement thread.

The movies made money (though BvS certainly didn't make near projections), but they can't keep cranking out critical flops that get bad word of mouth.

SS did well financially but still got very bad word of mouth, as did BvS. Suicide Squad made a very good $325,100,054 domestic, but that was coming off a $133M opening weekend.

You can't take a lot of hits to brand like that without needed to completely refocus and rebrand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom